Chapter 41 – Martial Arts Tournament II
61 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Regalus arrived, he and his opponent confirmed their weapon choices before the match began with the referee's signal.

As the match started, the opponent student rushed towards Regalus.

After assessing the opponent's move, Regalus calmly exhaled, pivoted, and swiftly maneuvered behind them. With a deft trip and a swift thrust of his sword, he ended the match effortlessly.

"Impressive, Regalus. Despite your opponent being a seasoned second-year who made it far last year, you handled it with ease," chuckled Siegfried, rubbing his chin.

After the match, Regalus acknowledged Althea and the others with a raised hand. Althea waved back enthusiastically, though her mother scolded her for it.

Observing this, Regalus left the arena with a smile, greeted by even louder cheers than when he entered.

Even as Regalus's match concluded, the students' battles continued one after another.

While awaiting Regalus, Prince Siegfried explained the tournament easily.

The academy housed hundreds of students, roughly half of whom were male participants. Matches had designated times, and if they exceeded, judges determined the outcomes. However, due to age discrepancies between 12 and 15, first-year students faced a disadvantage.

Though challenging for first-years, my brother swiftly defeated upperclassmen... He's truly remarkable.

Thinking this, Regalus arrived.

"Sieg, thanks for coming... And Mother, Althea, thank you for being here."

"I'm enjoying myself. The tournament still makes my heart race after all these years," Clara said with delight, fanning herself, lost in her memories.

"Well then, I should prepare," Siegfried announced, standing up.

"Sieg, best of luck. Who's your first opponent?" asked Regalus.

"It's Riot Cuffs... They're said to be top contenders among second-years," Siegfried replied calmly.

"The pairing seems mismatched... Despite being the crown prince?" Regalus questioned.

"Even so. I've said it before; tough pairings are expected... Besides, I'm relieved not to face you immediately," Siegfried responded.

"True, but... Sieg, don't lose, alright?" Regalus urged.

"Haha, I'll return the favor in your next match... Althea."

As Siegfried left, he reminded, "Make sure to cheer for me too."

"Of course. I'll cheer properly for you, Brother Sieg. So, don't lose, okay?" Althea replied earnestly.

"Yeah, then I definitely can't lose... Well, I'm off," Siegfried declared, heading to the waiting room.

Observing Siegfried's departure, Althea asked with concern, "Is Brother Sieg's opponent strong?"

"Yes, indeed. They reached the fourth round last year as a first-year," Regalus confirmed, and Clara added, "From the Cuffs family... Quite impressive."

Althea, realizing her limited perspective, muttered, "I thought both Brother and Sieg were strong, so I assumed it'd be an easy win."

Meanwhile, battles continued in the arena, met with applause regardless of outcomes.

Althea suddenly recalled something amidst the cheers, pondering, "Brother, you were quite popular, weren't you? Especially with the girls. But when Brother Sieg came, it wasn't the same... Why?"

Regalus reflected on Siegfried's reserved nature, "Sieg rarely interacts with female students, and when he does, it's not always well-received."

"Not well-received... how so?" Althea inquired.

"He's not very adept at dealing with women," Regalus explained with a wry smile.

"Am I not considered a woman then?" Althea wondered.

Regalus chuckled, "You're like a little sister to Sieg. And since he recently became a big brother, he treats you warmly."

"I see... Having two elder brothers is a luxury," Althea smiled.

As they conversed, the tournament progressed, and soon it was Siegfried and Riot Cuffs's turn in the arena.


The cheers swelled even louder.

"That applause... Could it be because he's the crown prince of a major nation?" Clara inquired of Regalus.

"That could be part of it, but I think it's mainly because this first-round match is the highlight of the martial arts tournament," Regalus explained.

"I see... Quite the highlight... I wonder if the son of the Cuffs Marquisate will take it easy on him..." Clara pondered.

"I doubt it... Right after the match-ups were announced, His Highness told Riot, 'No need to hold back. If I sense any hesitation, I'll never acknowledge you again'," Regalus recounted.

"Well, His Highness is known for his straightforwardness... No wonder Thomas said, 'This country's future is secure'," Clara remarked, smiling but still focused on the arena.

Listening to Regalus and Clara, Althea clenched her hands tightly.

His opponent is much taller than Sieg... And on top of that, he made it to the fourth round as a first-year... It's said that only one or two first-years advance to the third round or more every year... I wonder if he'll be alright...

As Siegfried glanced briefly at Althea's seat from the arena, he noticed Regalus and Clara chatting, and Althea staring at them with a serious expression, filled with worry.

...Saying 'don't worry' might be futile. Given the difference in size. But...!

Siegfried turned towards Althea's seat and raised his sword hand high.

At that moment, the arena erupted in even louder cheers.

"Sieg, do your best!!"

"Please do your best! Don't lose!!"

Regalus's and Althea's cheers were drowned out by the other loud cheers, but it seemed like Siegfried still noticed them.

"Alright then, are both of you ready?" the referee teacher asked.

Confirming their nod, the command "Begin!" was given, and the match commenced.

Riot wielded weapons in both hands, seemingly dual-wielding.

In contrast, Siegfried held a sword in one hand and prepared himself.

Though the match began, there was no immediate movement. They seemed to be studying each other. But then, Siegfried struck first.

His attack came with unexpected speed, catching Riot off guard. Despite Riot's efforts to defend with two swords, he struggled to keep up.

This speed... They said he wouldn't hold back, but... there's no way to hold back against this!

I could sense a hint of panic in Riot's defense... As he thought, Riot put more force into his swords, attempting to deflect Siegfried's attacks, but Siegfried remained resolute.

Damn it, an ordinary student would have been easily deflected... As expected of His Highness. But this time, I'll take the initiative!

After quickly regaining his stance, Riot closed the distance in an instant and swung both swords down towards Siegfried.

――Dangerous!

That's what most of the audience thought.

However, where the swords were swung down, there was no sign of Siegfried.

"Sorry, Riot. I've been trained by a dual-wielding master stronger than you since childhood. That's why..."

A voice came from behind Riot.

When did he...?

Thinking so, Riot turned around, but at the same time, Siegfried delivered a kick to his solar plexus.

"Ugh! ...Cough...!!"

With a sword pointed in front of his eyes after being kicked in the solar plexus, the match ended with Siegfried's victory.

On the way back from the arena to the waiting room, Riot asked Siegfried.

"Your Highness, the dual-wielding master who trained you since childhood... who is he?"

"...Graham Fulank. He's the commander of the Royal First Knights and my uncle."

"I see... Haha... I was up against tough competition..."

"But... it was quite enjoyable. I look forward to sparring again next year."

Saying so, Siegfried extended his right hand for a handshake, and Riot was moved to tears.

Expressing combat scenes can be challenging indeed...

You may share your thoughts by commenting down below. Please click the heart icon to support my writing endeavors.

9