Chapter 44 – To Holy Sacrament Academy, and the Dormitory Manager
85 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

And as time marched forward...

Althea celebrated her twelfth birthday.

At twelve years old, Althea, standing at around 145 centimeters, had blossomed into a winsome young girl, hinting at the beauty she would one day become...

In the following two years, she honed the grace of a lady and refined her speech to suit any occasion. Though Clara believed she still had room for improvement...

Within her sphere, Althea retained immense popularity, brightening the days of her subjects with her infectious smile whenever they faced trouble.

With her enrollment at Holy Sacrament Academy looming, her parents advised her to revisit the academy's particulars. Currently, she's diligently reviewing as instructed.

Holy Sacrament Academy, operated by the Principality of Ecclesiastical Congregation of Sacraments, or the Holy Principality of Sacraments, is the sole comprehensive school in the holiest land of the world's largest religion, Illumi.

Upon enrollment, students reside in dormitories provided by various nations, irrespective of their status.

From years one to three, students immerse themselves in a diverse curriculum covering history, geography, economics, languages, etiquette, dance, and theoretical studies in magic.

Unlike smaller schools focusing solely on literacy, Holy Sacrament Academy is exclusive to nobility and "magic holders" from each nation.

Given its prestige, the academy incurs substantial operating costs.

These costs are divided into four main categories.

Firstly, donations from believers contribute a portion, supporting churches worldwide.

Secondly, noble families pay tuition fees and offer financial aid, affecting dormitory accommodations based on their status. Most nobles supplement tuition fees with additional assistance, influencing room size and servant allowances, a perk particularly valued by those accustomed to such aid. Notably, there's no special treatment in academic matters.

Thirdly, various nations provide assistance, varying in amount based on enrollment numbers.

Lastly, tuition fees paid by commoner magic holders after graduation help offset costs. A portion of this aid, along with assistance from nations, goes towards commoners' tuition and living expenses during enrollment.

Graduates are expected to repay these advanced expenses by assuming significant roles in their respective countries.

For Althea, departing her family's home to embrace dormitory life stirred more excitement than apprehension, especially with her brother Regalus already enrolled. She eagerly counted down the days until her departure, while her parents, watching from afar, felt a twinge of loneliness.


And then, the day of Althea's departure dawned.

"I'm off. To everyone in the mansion... and to everyone in the town... Thank you for seeing me off. I'll come back on holidays," Althea expressed her gratitude.

"Lady Althea, please take care," came the heartfelt wishes.

"Please don't overdo it," cautioned another.

"If anyone bullies you, beat them to a pulp," a somewhat unsettling but well-intended remark slipped out.

Althea listened to each farewell with a smile, considering them all sincere, before departing the mansion.

Accompanied by her parents, they journeyed to the capital, where they parted ways temporarily as her parents settled into their new residence.

With her brother Regalus, Laila, and Jean by her side, Althea boarded a ship bound for Holy Sacrament Academy. During the voyage to the Holy Sacrament Kingdom, Regalus briefed Althea on the precautions to observe within the academy:

  • Do not follow strangers.
  • Do not smile at strangers.
  • If an unfamiliar male student calls you out, contact Regalus.
  • Introduce male students to Regalus before befriending them.
  • Inform Regalus of your whereabouts when going out.

While these instructions might seem overly protective to an outsider, Althea nodded happily in acceptance. Jean, accustomed to his young lord's care, remained composed throughout.

As they conversed, the ship docked at the principality. They proceeded through the gates of Holy Sacrament Academy in a carriage, eventually arriving at the women's dormitory.

As they opened the dormitory door, a woman who appeared to be the dormitory manager emerged from a nearby room.

"Good day, Dormitory Manager. Starting today, I'll be under your care. My name is Althea Monclair," Althea greeted with a graceful bow.

"Oh, yes, I'm aware of you. It will be three... no, six years from now, so I hope you'll learn diligently. ...And...?" The Dormitory Manager paused, casting a puzzled glance at Regalus standing beside Althea. "And who might this be...? This is the women's dormitory, though...?"

"Good day, Dormitory Manager. I am Althea's brother, Regalus Monclair. I may need your assistance on occasion, so please remember me from now on," Regalus introduced himself with a graceful gesture, to which the Dormitory Manager replied with a smile.

"Oh, I see. Understood. I'll remember your face. ...Well then, we'll provide you with guidance and instructions within the dormitory from here, so you can leave her in our care," the Dormitory Manager said, subtly conveying an aura of dismissal to Regalus without altering his smile.

Regalus sighed lightly and turned to Althea. "Althea, it seems this is as far as I go. I know it might be tough, but if you ever run into trouble, make sure to consult me. ...After all, I'm your senior at the academy. And, Laila, please remember to take care of Althea's well-being."

"Understood," Laila acknowledged.

As Althea observed the exchange between her brother and her personal maid with a smile, she suddenly remembered something and asked the Dormitory Manager, "Um... Dormitory Manager, since this is the women's dormitory, does that mean boys are strictly prohibited?"

"Yes, that's correct..."

"For example... for example, if I were to come down with a severe fever or get seriously injured, would my brother be allowed to come here?"

"Well, if... proper procedures are followed, it would be possible to meet even in such emergency situations. ...The problem is that too many people don't follow the proper procedures...! Despite the fact that we're entrusted with precious young ladies from each household... The ladies themselves are also at fault..." The Dormitory Manager's tone carried a hint of frustration.

Upon hearing this, Regalus thought, Maybe many students sneak in secretly. Especially noble parents might pressure the Dormitory Manager, but the young ladies themselves, driven by curiosity... Is that the case? She must be a diligent Dormitory Manager, and that's reassuring.

With that in mind, he bowed again to the Dormitory Manager. "I understand your sentiment. However, having someone like you as the Dormitory Manager puts me at ease. I'll make sure to follow the proper procedures when requesting to visit. ...Please take care of my sister."

Surprised by the unexpected praise, the Dormitory Manager smiled warmly. "Yes, well-mannered individuals are always welcome. I'll take good care of your sister."

And with that, she bid farewell to Regalus as he left the women's dormitory.


You may share your thoughts by commenting down below. Please click the heart icon to support my writing endeavors.

8