Chapter 45 – The day before the entrance ceremony
84 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Regalus departed, Althea was escorted to the room that would be her home for the next six years.

It was situated within a four-story dormitory designated for RGC girls, and her quarters were positioned on the third floor. Upon entering, she discovered two bedrooms, a living area, a bathroom, and a kitchen—a truly splendid arrangement.

As Althea nervously surveyed her new living space, the head of the dormitory approached.

"Welcome, Althea. This will be your abode from now on. As the maids are also students, the rooms are designed to facilitate companionship and mutual support. Now, regarding the rules of dormitory life... let me first outline the daily schedule. Breakfast is served from 7 to 8 in the morning, and dinner from 7 to 8 in the evening, each allocated only an hour, so please adhere to the timing. Lunch is not provided; however, on weekdays, you may dine at the campus cafeteria, which unfortunately closes during breaks. Alternatively, you can procure ingredients from the principality's shopping district to prepare meals in your kitchen or explore local cafes. Curfew is set for 9 o'clock in the evening. Further details will be elucidated during tonight's dinner, where all new students will convene. That concludes my briefing. Any inquiries?"

"May I approach you with questions later on?" Althea inquired.

"Certainly, feel free to do so," came the reply.

"Thank you. I currently have none."

"Then, please settle in. I shall take my leave..."

With a cordial smile, the dormitory head departed.

"It appears she's rather stringent," remarked Laila while unpacking.

"Indeed, but such rigor likely serves our best interests. By adhering to the regulations, she could prove to be a reliable figure," Althea responded, joining in to assist Laila with unpacking.

"Wait...! My lady, I appreciate your kindness, but this is my duty. Please allow me to handle it."

"Hmm... I have some spare time. Working together might expedite the process."

"No, it is my responsibility. If you have leisure, tend to your own tasks."

With a gentle insistence, Laila passed Althea several textbooks provided by the academy.

Initially hesitant, Althea acquiesced and began perusing the materials.

The girl who, just two years prior, harbored disdain for academics and would evade or shirk from studies seemed to have undergone a transformation, now recognizing the value of acquiring fundamental education. She had indeed grown...


As Laila completed the tidying, Julia Trinton, whom they had encountered during the magic power measurement, arrived to greet them.

Seizing the opportunity, the trio indulged in a modest tea time together, exchanging their aspirations and apprehensions about the days to come.

Althea, having spent most of her twelve years in the borderlands, lacked preexisting acquaintances. While anxious about forging friendships, she also anticipated the potential bonds she could form.

Laila, steadfastly, aimed to dedicate herself to ensuring Althea's happiness throughout her schooling.

Julia, despite attending some birthday celebrations hosted by peers of noble birth in the capital, harbored nothing but unease owing to her innate shyness and self-doubt.

That evening, during dinner, approximately eighty female students spanning from first to sixth year, encompassing both nobility and commoners, congregated in the spacious cafeteria for a welcoming meal.

The dormitory head delivered a speech, outlining various points of consideration, primarily concerning permissions for outings and regulations within the dormitory. Subsequently, the new students proceeded with self-introductions.

This year welcomed a cohort of fourteen newcomers, with only five among them possessing magical abilities. Among the magical adept were noble daughters Althea and Julia, Countess Canna Fianto, and commoners Jill and Laila. The remaining nine hailed from noble families in other central nations but lacked magical prowess.

The sequence of introductions appeared to be structured according to social standing rather than magical aptitude.

Although Althea held the status of an archduke's daughter, her family's standing was akin to that of an esteemed marquess, despite their recent elevation in peerage—a transition that had yet to be universally acknowledged by other noble families. Notably, the archducal peerage was tantamount to the status of the Pope of the Principality, encompassing grand ducal level authority. Consequently, her turn in introductions followed the final marquisate family. Incidentally, Laila, among the new students, was the last to present herself.


After the new students completed their introductions, the current students exchanged brief greetings, marking the end of formalities and heralding the commencement of the main meal.

This dinner deviated from the typical dormitory meals, adopting a standing buffet format. Evidently, the desire for mingling and exchanging greetings prompted this departure from the usual assigned seating arrangement.

As the mealtime approached, Althea endeavored to approach Laila, only to find her encircled by senior noblewomen, presumably eager to inquire about Regalus.

"...Being a noble seems challenging, doesn't it? It's more than just flattering words," murmured Jill, a fellow commoner, beside Laila.

"You must smile and flatter even when you'd rather not. That's part of being in service, isn't it? If she's adept at maintaining such relationships, she must possess the typical traits of nobility... Ah, despite hearing about 'equality' upon entering the academy, distinctions based on social status persist even within the dormitory."

Upon hearing Jill's observation, Laila briefly clenched her fist before responding with a disdainful glance.

"Indeed. Is it not apparent? Commoners receive tuition-free education, numerous opportunities for advancement, and their living expenses are fully covered. What more could one desire?... Instead of dwelling on frustrations, focus on your studies."

Reprimanded by another commoner, Jill retorted, "W-What? But you're a commoner too, aren't you? Yet, the way you speak...!"

"Good evening."

Just as Jill prepared to retort, a voice interrupted from behind. Turning, they were greeted by Althea, who had been previously engaged with other noblewomen, now smiling.

"Lady Althea?!"

Laila, who moments ago had been expressing her thoughts in a subdued tone—or rather, nearly expressionless—exclaimed in surprise.

"Well, since introductions were concluded, I had intended to join you, Laila, but then I found myself surrounded, so I made my escape here."

Althea offered a light wink and a joyful smile.

"Escaped here..."

Somewhat dazed, Althea glanced back to where she had been, only to notice several senior girls, likely upperclassmen, glowering resentfully in their direction.

Noting their reaction, Laila released a light sigh and gently urged Althea to return.

"Lady Althea, please return. They came over here to speak with you, right? They are upperclassmen of the academy. It's not appropriate to act as freely here as you might on the estate, you know?"

"But..."

"No 'buts.' Did Lady Clara not advise, 'Strive in socializing'? You'll need to interact with various individuals from now on. Please, return."

With gentle insistence, Laila guided Althea back to her previous position.

"Um... Jill, was it? It seems fate brought you near Laila, so I'd be pleased if we could become acquainted. And of course, with me as well. Nice to meet you?"

With a smile and her chosen words, Althea resumed her seat.

"Sigh... Truly, what a troublesome young lady..."

Muttering to herself, Laila glanced at the adjacent seat to find Jill, her face flushed and frozen.

"...Are you alright? You seem flushed..."

With a smirk, Laila leaned closer, and Jill, suddenly snapping out of her daze, hastily replied, "W-What's the matter?! That person...!"

"Not 'that person,' but the young lady from the Monclair family, correct? The daughter of a borderland noble holding the rank of archduke?... But wasn't social status something you scorned? Nevertheless, if you dare insult her, I won't forgive you, that's certain."

Initially matter-of-fact, Laila's final words carried a hint of anger.

"I-I didn't mean to insult... But..."

Somewhat intimidated, Jill cautiously continued speaking while stealing glances at Althea.

Having returned to her seat, Althea found herself surrounded by mostly upperclassmen, engaging in conversation with a somewhat troubled expression. Watching this, Jill released a light exhale and resumed speaking.

"She doesn't resemble any noble I've encountered... I'm... sorry..."

"Its fine. There are noble individuals who are kind-hearted and, she's... unique in various ways. She holds great significance to me, and I will shield her from any harm."

"But... Shield? That sounds like something a knight would say, doesn't it? You're a maid, correct?"

Rather than offering a direct response, Laila deliberately chose to smile gently.

"Um..."

Following a shared glance, the two burst into laughter.

"Truly... Lady Althea, laughing so openly is quite uncharacteristic, you know?"

"But... Even though I jest, isn't surreptitiously observing rather amusing? Besides, you were laughing too, Laila. But... We'll assuredly be discovered if we don't maintain a distance. Both Prince Siegfried and Lord Regalus are keen observers."

"If we're caught, we won't witness Prince Siegfried's stoic countenance... Oh, Lady Althea, outside—"

"Yes, I understand. It's 'Your Highness,' not Prince Siegfried, correct?"

"Exactly. Please exercise caution. Unnecessary jealousy and animosity could arise."

"Understood, I'll be cautious."


As their conversations transitioned from lighthearted banter to deeper discussions, time seemed to slip away unnoticed.

Glancing at the clock, Laila realized it was already past 10 in the evening.

"Well, tomorrow marks the entrance ceremony. It's time for some rest," she announced, gently encouraging them to retire for the night.

"Yes, I need to greet my parents in the morning. I'll head to bed now," Althea declared.

"I'll also take this opportunity to prepare for tomorrow before resting," added Julia.

"Alright then, good night," said Laila.

"Good night," echoed Althea and Julia in unison.

Though the setting shifted, their customary exchange of farewells remained unchanged as Althea retreated into her room.

8