Chapter 51 – Owner of the Voice
56 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A man who thought his confession was being interrupted confirmed the voice's source with an irritated expression. At the same time, his expression stiffened, and while his voice trembled, he replied,

"Oh... I see, understood."

He answered and hastily withdrew the hand that was about to embrace the shoulders of Althea,

"I apologize for being persistent. But... is it okay to at least greet you?," he asked while lowering his head. His demeanor clearly showed signs of fear.

"Uh, yeah..."

"Ah, thank you. Well then, I have class too, so see you later!"

With those parting words, he dashed away as if making a sound, leaving behind a trail of hurried footsteps.

"... What on earth just happened? Why was he so afraid...?"

Wondering, the man turned to look in the direction he had been observing, only to find Yugg de Starry Stars standing behind Althea with a smile.

"Well, I never expected to meet a lady in a place like this. I was just passing by since I was called by the teacher, but what a stroke of luck."

He said as he approached Althea and reached out to embrace her shoulder... At that moment, Laila, wielding a concealed weapon, intervened and stood protectively behind Althea.

"Hey... Oh, I see. It's not easy to get close to a lady. ...And you?"

With a slightly disdainful gaze, Yugg asked while looking down at Laila.

"I am not one to give my name. And you, sir, are not a student from the common building, are you? I would appreciate it if strangers refrained from touching this person so casually."

Retaliating with a stern look, Laila responded.

"But you let that guy touch her shoulder, didn't you?"

"That was... He probably won't be a threat in the future, and besides... he wasn't particularly strong..."

At Laila's response, Yugg momentarily widened his eyes, then burst into laughter.

"Ahahaha, I see. He was someone you could handle anytime, anywhere. ...So, I'm not like that, huh? But... I'm not gentle, you know? I'll go all out against those who oppose me..."

As Yugg took a step back and prepared to change his stance, sensing a potential confrontation, Laila readied her concealed weapon, but just as she did, Althea, who had been silently observing Yugg, spoke up,

"Laila."

And uttered a voice of restraint.

Following the master's instruction, Laila lowered her concealed weapon, and Althea, while maintaining her composure, greeted Yugg with a ladylike gesture.

"Thank you for diffusing the situation earlier, Your Highness."

"Oh, you remembered that."

"Yes."

"Then, do you also remember what I desire?"

"... My name is Althea Monclair."

Althea stated clearly, her posture straight.

"Hmm, Miss Althea, huh... They say a name reflects one's character, and yes, it's a beautiful name."

"Thank you."

"...By the way, Miss Althea, there's a way to refuse confessions from such individuals."

"Is that so? What would that be?"

"Simply say that you're... in a relationship with me, and it'll be over. ...Right? It's a good idea, isn't it?"

Smiling happily, Yugg approached Althea, but she sighed and shook her head,

"I must decline. Even I understand that saying such things, even in jest, could lead to serious consequences."

Responding calmly to Althea's answer, Yugg closed the distance between them and said while placing his hand on Althea's chin,

"...As long as it's not a lie."

Even though she sensed Laila's threatening presence behind her, Yugg continued.

"I couldn't forget after that martial arts tournament. Neither your brother nor His Highness would tell me your name, so I couldn't even send a letter. ...I really wouldn't mind if it became true, or rather, I'd like it to become true."

As Yugg spoke, his face drew closer to Althea's... Yet, despite the proximity, Althea remained motionless.

Why is that? I was so flustered during the confession earlier, why is my mind so clear now...?

With their lips almost about to touch, Yugg asked,

"...Aren't you going to run away?"

To which Althea replied in a chilling tone,

"I do not anticipate His Highness to act against my will."

Just as Yugg was about to say something further,


—Bing bong bing bong—


The afternoon class bell rang.

Hearing the bell, Yugg stared into Althea's eyes for a moment, then released her.

"Once you put it that way, there's nothing I can do... Even His Highness of a great nation is struggling... but I've genuinely become interested too. Althea, fall for me."

"...I must decline."

"I figured. Well then, I'll make you fall for me. Look forward to it."

With a chuckle, Yugg said only what he wanted to say and left.

As Althea confirmed Yugg's departure, she slumped to the ground.

"Althea, are you okay? Can you stand? Shall I use magic?"

Ciel, the fairy, called out nearby.

"Ciel... Can I ask you for something?"

"Of course!"

Invisible to Laila, who was racked with guilt for being there but witnessing an unexpected turn of events during what was supposed to be a simple first confession,

How did I not notice his approaching presence...

Despite feeling downcast, Laila, concerned for her master who had collapsed as if her strength had left her, peered in and spoke.

"Lady Althea, are you alright? If you can't stand, I can—"

But as soon as she said that, it seemed as if Althea, who had been slumped until just now, suddenly stood up straight.

"You've worried me. Let's hurry, Laila, or we'll be late for class."

Unaware of Ciel's magic consoling Althea, Laila, surprised, thought,

It wasn't that difficult after all, was it...?

and hurriedly followed Althea to afternoon class.

After the afternoon class ended earlier than usual, Julia and Kaera invited Althea to go on a sweets tour outside the academy, but she declined for today.

Having heard briefly about lunch break from Laila, the two didn't insist and agreed to do the sweets tour some other time.

Upon returning to her room, Althea flopped down on the living room sofa.

"You mustn't do that. Please at least change your clothes."

Laila, understanding Althea's feelings, wasn't genuinely reprimanding her.

Told by Laila with a wry smile, Althea stood up from the sofa to change, and while helping her change, Laila continued speaking.

"It was quite eventful today, wasn't it? Not just the 'confession'... By the way, who was that person? I addressed him as 'Your Highness'..."

"Oh, that person. Um... He was... Let's see... The first? No, the second? I think he was the second prince of the Starry Stars Empire, not the crown prince."

Upon realizing that he was a prince from another country, even the composed Laila couldn't help but think of the word 'disrespect.'

"What should I do... I've been so terribly rude..."

"Don't worry about it. Since we're students here, it should be fine, right? If anything happens, I'll appeal directly to the headmaster, so don't worry, Laila."

Althea clenched her fist and reassured Laila with determination, causing Laila, who had been pale with worry, to silently express her gratitude and gently wipe her slightly moistened eyes, hoping that Althea wouldn't notice.

You may share your thoughts by commenting down below. Please click the heart icon to support my writing endeavors.

7