2: Departure
32 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I came into the lab the following Monday, a visibly excited Chris was already waiting in the meeting room in which we had agreed to meet. Shortly after I sat down, Sabrina entered the room and had a seat. Sabrina was a few years my senior and it had taken me a bit to get used to her no-nonsense attitude when I first started here, but I had quickly grown to admire her brilliance and I was now happy to call her both coworker and friend.

“I take it you’ve both read my message.” Chris started. “There has been a finding in a previously undiscovered cave on Epsilon 2. WHO believes there may be ancient microscopic life and I’ve been asked to investigate. I would like for you two to come with me.”

“Who discovered it?” Sabrina asked.

“Tourists. The cave is part of a complex which is popular among travelers, I’ve been there myself a couple of years ago, but this new cave was previously covered.”

“And where are they now?”

“I don’t know.”

Sabrina frowned at that. I understood why. “If they suspect previously unknown microscopic life, then there must be an ongoing containment protocol?” I asked.

Chris nodded.

“So, if we go, we will not be taking the samples to Earth?” I continued.

“No. We will bring them to a high security laboratory on Epsilon 2. Nothing leaves there unless we are certain it’s safe, which means that we will stay there for some time too. If you come.”

“Of course I will come.” I said. Chris and I then looked at Sabrina.

She looked back at both of us and spoke, “When do we leave?”

1