Chapter 1: The Village Boy
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Averyne Forest,

Kingdom of Aerian,

The First World,

Mortal Realm

Darian crept through the forest, moving as silently as he could. The early morning mist lingered between the trees, and he kept a sharp eye out for tracks or other signs of prey.

His family was depending on him to bring back food again today.

After checking a few of his simple snares, he found a young rabbit caught in one. "Gotcha," Darian whispered with a grin as he removed the rabbit.

He reset the trap carefully. His father had taught him how to set snares expertly so as not to damage the pelts. Darian knew his mother could get a few copper pennies for rabbit pelts in the village. And they needed every bit of money they could get.

With the rabbit secured in his belt pouch, Darian continued deeper into the woods. He followed a narrow deer trail, noticing fresh prints in the damp earth. The deer had passed this way not long ago.

Darian moved slowly, cautiously, listening for any sounds of movement up ahead. His blue eyes constantly scanned the forest. This was his world, these woods. He knew them like the back of his hand.

After rounding a large oak, Darian spotted the deer through the trees about forty yards away. He froze, watching the large buck lower its head to graze.

Darian's heart quickened.

A deer would feed his family for days. He reached over his shoulder and carefully drew an arrow from the quiver on his back. The buck's head snapped up at the faint sound. Darian held perfectly still. For a few long seconds, boy and deer watched each other. Then the buck lowered its head once more.

Darian took slow, steady breaths, drawing back the arrow. He had to get closer for a clean shot through the trees. Carefully placing each foot, he edged closer to the deer. His intense concentration blocked out all other sounds of the woods. The deer filled his vision.

Just a few more steps...Darian took aim at the deer's chest behind the front leg. As he was about to release, a sharp snap sounded beneath his foot.

A twig.

The deer startled, leaping away in a blur of brown fur and white tail. In seconds, it had vanished into the trees.

"No!" Darian cried in frustration, lowering his bow.

I was so close!

The deer would have kept his family fed for a week at least. He sighed, knowing there was no use following it now. The deer would be halfway across the forest after a scare like that.

Darian turned back the way he'd come, brooding over the lost opportunity. His mother always told him not to worry so much, that they had enough, but he hated feeling like he'd let them down. His father would have brought down that buck for sure.

Thinking of his father made Darian's chest tighten, as it always did. He barely remembered the man, just flashes here and there - strong arms tossing him into the air as a child, booming laughter by the fire at night, teaching a five-year-old how to hunt…

Those memories felt like another lifetime.

His father had left not long after the hunting lessons, telling them he was going adventuring to see the world. He had promised to return one day with plenty of gold and stories. The man had kissed Darian on the head, hugged his heavily pregnant wife, and walked out the door.

That was the last time Darian ever saw him.

In the seven years since, Darian's mother Mara had never spoken harshly of his father for abandoning them. She always insisted he would be back one day. But as the seasons passed with no word, it became harder to speak of him at all. Mara now changed the subject whenever Darian brought up his father.

That hurt most of all - not the absence itself, but the way Mara's hope seemed to fade more each year, as if she could barely stand to say his name now. Her smiles grew sadder when Darian asked if they might travel to the city to seek news of his father.

So, Darian had learned to stop asking. It was up to him now, as the man of the family, to provide for his mother and little sister Talia.

Darian shook off thoughts of the past as he reached the spot where he'd laid his other snares. He found another rabbit caught, which he removed and tied to his belt. Three rabbits would be enough for today.

Humming tunelessly to himself, Darian gathered some wild onions and herbs on his way back through the woods. He plucked some blackberries from a thicket, popping a few juicy ones into his mouth. Their sweetness reminded him of carefree summer days from his childhood, playing knights and dragons with...

Darian blinked.

The blackberry thicket where he stood was the very same one where he had played with his little sister Talia every summer until two years ago. He and Talia had pretended the thorns were the spikes of a terrible dragon guarding its lair full of stolen treasure. They would battle through the vines and pluck shining blackberry jewels while avoiding the dragon's fiery breath...those memories brought a smile to Darian's face.

But Talia had not played with him there at all last summer. Their mother kept her inside, encouraging her studies in reading, writing, and arithmetic. No more adventuresome games for a smart young village girl.

Shaking his head, Darian picked some extra berries and leaves, imagining how Talia's face would light up at the sweet treat later. Whistling again, he continued on the path towards home.

Despite losing the deer, it had been a successful hunting trip overall. They would eat well tonight. Darian pictured his mother's face when he arrived with the rabbits and berries. Perhaps he could even surprise her by cooking up a stew himself.

Darian hoped to Talia could join in too, if she was not busy with her studies. She could help stir the stew pot. Darian smiled to himself, enjoying the image of Talia's eyes growing big at his tales of stalking the great forest deer.

She might pretend not to care for her brother's stories anymore, being a proper young lady and all, but he knew deep down she still loved hearing of his adventures, just not in front of their mother.

As the trees thinned and Darian arrived back at the village, he spotted Enna, the baker's wife, out front of their shop. The smell of freshly baked bread wafted on the morning breeze.

"Good morning, Darian!" Enna called with a friendly wave. "Back from a hunt, I see!"

"Morning, Enna," Darian replied, walking over. He held up his rabbits with a grin. "Aye, a decent one at that. Almost had a deer too, but the sneaky fellow got away in the end."

"Ah well, there's always next time," Enna smiled. "I'm sure your mother and sister will still be plenty grateful for fresh rabbit stew."

"That they will," Darian agreed. "Ma's rabbit stew is the best in the village, or so Talia always claims."

Enna laughed. "That girl. She's lucky to have such a hardworking brother to keep her belly full."

"More like she keeps my ego from growing too big," Darian quipped. "Can't have me thinking I'm the best hunter in Averyne Forest now."

"And how is your mother faring these days?" Enna asked, her expression softening. "She works so hard between her weaving and raising you two..."

Darian's smile dimmed a little. His mother's talent with a needle and thread was renowned throughout the village but unfortunately…that wasn’t enough to sustain the family.

"She does," he agreed quietly. "But she never complains. I try to help where I can, with hunting and odd jobs in the village... anything to make things easier for her."

Enna nodded, reaching out to pat his arm. "You're a good lad, Darian. Your father would be proud, seeing the man you're becoming."

At the mention of his father, Darian glanced away, clearing his suddenly tight throat. "I should get these rabbits home to Ma..."

"Of course, of course," Enna said quickly. "Give her and Talia my love, will you?"

"I will," Darian promised. "Thanks, Enna."

With a final wave, he continued on towards their cottage. Despite the cheerful morning and successful hunt, a small, familiar ache had settled in Darian's chest at Enna's well-meaning words.

Would his father be proud of him? The man had left them so long ago... Darian couldn't help but wonder if he even still lived. And if so, why had he never returned or sent word? Had he found a new life, a new family, and forgotten them completely?

Darian pushed open the cottage door, trying to banish such gloomy thoughts. "Ma, I'm back!" Darian called, holding up his pouch heavy with rabbits. "I almost got a deer today, but..."

He broke off as his mother Mara appeared in the doorway. Darian was struck by how tired she looked. Her face seemed pale and drawn, with dark circles under her eyes.

"Oh good, you're home," Mara said with relief. She took the pouch of rabbits and placed it on the kitchen table. Normally she would have smiled or hugged Darian in thanks…

"Is everything alright, Ma?" Darian asked with a frown.

Mara let out a long sigh, sinking onto a chair. "No, I'm afraid not. Talia is ill. She woke up last night burning with fever. I've had to keep her in bed all morning."

Darian's heart dropped. "How bad is it?"

"It's hard to say," Mara replied wearily. "Her cheeks are flushed and she complains of chills. I tried everything, but I just can't get the fever to break."

Darian moved to the doorway of the small bedroom he shared with his sister. Talia lay curled under a pile of blankets, asleep. But her face was unnaturally red, her dark hair matted with sweat.

Darian swallowed hard. Poor Talia.

"What can I do, Mother?" he asked.

"I was hoping you might go fetch the healer for me. She may have an herbal draught that can help bring down the fever."

"Of course,” Darian nodded, glad he could be of help. “I'll go right now."

"And take some coppers to pay her," Mara added, handing Darian a small coin purse. "I know we can barely afford it, but..."

"It's not a problem, Ma. Talia's health is worth any price." Darian tucked away the coins.

Mara finally smiled a little, though it didn't reach her tired eyes. "You're a good son," she said softly. "Now hurry along to the healer."

"Will…will you be alright watching over her?"

"Yes, yes, I'll manage," Mara said. "Talia is still sleeping soundly for now."

With a final troubled glance at his sister, Darian hurried from the cottage toward the village healer's home. Normally the forest trip would have left him hungry but worry over Talia had chased away his appetite.

0