Chapter 3: Not Talia…
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Darian entered, he found his mother sitting at Talia's bedside, pressing a damp cloth to her burning forehead. Mara looked up with a tight, weary smile as Darian entered.

"The healer gave me medicine," Darian said, holding up the bottle. "She said this will help bring down Talia's fever."

"Bless you, my boy," Mara said with relief. She took the bottle and Kalyna's instructions, then stood to prepare the treatment.

Darian sat on the edge of Talia's bed. Her face was still flushed, her hair dark with sweat. But she seemed to be resting easier for the moment. Darian brushed a few strands of hair off her cheek.

Don't worry, little sister, he thought. I'll make sure you get well again.

Mara returned with a steaming cup of the medicine tea. "Here we are," she said gently. "Talia, dear one, wake up. We need you to drink this."

Talia's eyes fluttered open. They looked glassy and unfocused with fever. Darian carefully propped up her head and shoulders while Mara held the cup to her lips.

"It's yucky medicine to make you feel better," Darian told his sister with an encouraging smile.

Obediently, Talia sipped at the tea until the cup was drained. She made a face at the bitter taste.

"There's my brave girl," Mara said, stroking Talia's hair. "Try and rest now."

Mara began tidying up, but Darian could see dark circles under her eyes. She had likely been up all night watching over Talia.

"Why don't you lie down for a bit yourself, Mother?" Darian suggested gently. "You need to keep up your strength as well. I'll sit with Talia for a while."

Mara looked as if she might protest, but then her shoulders slumped. "You're right," she admitted heavily. "I'm no use to anyone like this." Too anxious to head to her bedroom, she put down a few blankets on the floor and laid down. Soon Mara's breathing took on the deep rhythm of sleep.

Darian settled himself quietly in the corner near Talia's bed with his Examination of Candidacy study book open in his lap. He had hoped to spend the afternoon reviewing historical laws and customs to prepare for the written section of the most important exam in his life, which would take place in the nearby city, Arbrook, in just a few weeks.

If Darian scored high enough on the Candidacy Exam, he could be selected to attend the prestigious Royal Academy in the capital. Only the brightest young people from across the kingdom earned this honour. The academy prepared students for important roles serving the royal court, such as judge, advisor, or minister.

The Royal Academy typically had enough space for students to bring a few family members or servants depending on exam scores. And with the generous stipend they provide, his mother wouldn’t have to worry about whether they would have food on the table.

Even if his score was not high enough to enter the prestigious Royal Academy, doing well could still earn him acceptance into one of the other city academies. That would still allow Darian and his family to escape their impoverished life in the village of Brookhaven. An academy education of any kind would give his mother and sister a better life.

But all that depends on me passing the exam, Darian reminded himself. I've already missed so much study time hunting...No I can’t think like that, he shook his head. Right now, I need to take care of Talia until she's well again.

Darian knew his father would ironically tell him the same if he was here. Family had to come first. The academy exam would come soon enough.

"Darian," Talia whimpered, interrupting his thoughts. "I'm so cold..."

Darian quickly felt her forehead. His heart froze. Her skin was even hotter than before, dry and burning up.

Talia began shivering violently. Her teeth chattered no matter how many blankets Darian piled on.

Darian's own forehead beaded with sweat. He shook Mara's shoulder urgently.

"Mother, wake up! Talia's getting worse."

Mara sat bolt upright, immediately alert. She touched a hand to Talia's face and neck.

"Gods above," Mara whispered, stricken. She turned frightened eyes on Darian. "The fever rages out of control. I've never felt heat like this..."

Mara rushed from the room, returning with the healer Kalyna's instructions. "We followed them exactly," she said, face paling. "The medicine should have helped..."

Darian's mouth went dry. He glanced between his tortured sister and his mother’s helpless eyes.

"We need to fetch Kalyna again," Darian said as he fought to keep his voice steady. "She'll know what else to try."

But a small voice whispered in his mind - what if even Kalyna can't help? He shook his head sharply. He couldn't afford to think like that.

Mara gave a jerky nod, blinking back tears. She pressed a cool cloth to Talia's forehead with a trembling hand.

Darian squeezed Talia's limp fingers. "I'll be back soon, little sister. Keep fighting."

He raced from the cottage at a dead run, feet pounding down the dusty path toward Kalyna's. Villagers jumped out of his way with exclamations of surprise, but Darian barely registered their presence. His mind kept replaying Talia's whimpers, her small body wracked with violent shivers under the mountain of blankets...

Gasping for breath, Darian banged on Kalyna's door so hard it rattled on its hinges.

A minute passed with no response. Darian pounded again, desperation choking him.

"Kalyna, please!" Darian shouted. "It's an emergency!"

The door jerked open. Kalyna's irritated scowl faded as she took in Darian's wild expression.

"Talia?" she asked sharply. "The medicine..."

"Failed," Darian gasped out. "The fever spiked again, worse than before. She's so cold...shaking all over..."

Kalyna's lips pressed into a thin line. She snatched up her walking stick and medicine bag. "Lead the way."

The trip back seemed to take years. Darian nearly wept with relief when his cottage came into view. He held the door open for Kalyna and followed her hurried shuffle to Talia's bedside.

Mara looked up with desperate hope that crumbled to anguish as Kalyna's frown deepened. The healer laid a hand on Talia's burning cheek.

"This is very, very grave," Kalyna muttered. "Far beyond a common childhood fever."

"You can heal her though...can't you?" Mara pleaded, voice breaking.

Kalyna avoided her gaze. "I will certainly do all that is possible. But I have not seen an illness like this before."

Darian swayed where he stood. This couldn't be happening. Just yesterday morning, Talia was her happy, bright-eyed self and now today she might…no, they couldn’t lose her.

Not Talia.

0