Chapter 13: Magic artifacts
59 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Me and Stella are sitting at the kitchen table in the morning.

"Today we'll be talking about magical items like staffs, wands and grimoires."

"Sigh, is there really any point in me learning this stuff since i can't use magic?"

"Just because there isn't magic in you doesn't necessarily mean you can't use magic."

I cross my arms and lean on the table.

"You will surely encounter hostile mages in your quest to become stronger, so knowing how to combat them will be valuable information."

"Hmm, can't argue with that."

"As you have seen me cast magic with my hands, this isn't the only way."

She takes her staff and sets it on the table.

"With the use of magical artifacts, a mage's magical output can be drastically increased while also lowering the mana cost."

"You mean make it stronger?"

"Correct. The amount varies between artifacts, which is determined by the artifacts quality and type. This staff is, was mediocre quality but it did increase my magical output while also lowering the mana required by spells."

I close my eyes pinch my nose bridge.

"I think i understand."

I was never really good at math in the old world but at least i graduated.

"Oh, who taught you math at your age?"

I try think of an excuse.

"I... read a book."

"Oh, i'm impressed a boy your age is already literate and knows math."

I shrug my shoulders, it must be unusual for people living in the countryside to have much of an education. Or not, i don't know.

"Back to the topic. As i said, staffs and wands enhances the mage's magic. How? By channeling the mage's mana, focusing it in inside it, amplifying it, making it stronger and efficient. To be more precise, this process happens inside the staff's magic crystal, which also casts the spell."

She points to the staff's top.

There looks to be an empty spot for something, it must be the place for the magic crystal.

"This staff is missing its magic crystal, making it pretty much useless, but have a look at the staff itself, see the engravings and runes?"

I lean closer, the staff is covered in intricate engravings, and symbols which i assume to be the runes, forming some kind of words.

Judging by their appearance, it looks like they were made by not-so-skilled hands.

"Staffs themselves are also magical. They are specifically made from magical trees, different species containing varying amounts of magic. Trees containing massive amounts of magic are extremely rare."

"Then the artifacts made from these trees must very powerful?"

"Only when paired with a powerful magic crystal. For example, a staff made of an extremely powerful wood and a magic crystal would be an artifact of a legendary status." She looks up in excitement. "It is an every mages dream to acquire such a powerful artifact, even mine."

I'm surprised by her sudden burst of emotion.

She realizes what she did and composes herself, assuming her usual neutral expression.

"Ahem, anyway, just like the trees the staffs are made from, magic crystals vary in quality, the rarer ones being more powerful. Magic crystals can also have an affinity."

"What do you mean?"

"Most magic crystals have no affinity towards any specific element, so they can be used to cast all spells. However, the ones that possess an affinity to an element make casting spells of that element more powerful, at the cost of reducing the effectiveness of all other spells."

"Hmm, from the way you describe it, it would be very advantageous to have a powerful artifact like that. How would even acquire one?"

"Well, you can buy a fairly powerful artifact but it would cost a lot. This is the most common way a skilled mage would get one."

"Is there any other way?"

"Of course, by adventuring. Most people aren't willing to risk their lives for these artifacts but when some do, they can be rewarded by artifacts much stronger than any store bought artifact. Abandoned ruins and monster infested dungeons hold all kinds of valuable loot."

"But why would i seek out these items if i don't end up being able to use magic at all? Sounds like waste of time."

"Heh, items made for mages aren't the only ones to be found in these locations, once you become an adventurer i'm sure you will find something suitable for your fighting style."

"Hmm, never mind then. What about grimoires? What are those?"

"Grimoires are spellbooks, containing all of a mage's knowledge and wisdom. The are essential for every mage."

"What kind of knowledge?"

"Well, they could contain all kinds of different spells, how to cast them, how to perform certain rituals, summon creatures, craft potions, talismans, amulets, pretty much anything a mage could need."

"If it's an essential item for a mage then where's yours?"

A lump catches in her throat.

"M-My previous one got full so i have to buy a new one."

In truth it was left behind in the forest when she escaped.

"Is that so."

"This gives me an idea, do you know if Luton has a magic shop?"

"A magic shop? I'm not sure, but it's not a small town so there might be one."

"Great, we should go there to have a look."

"Do you have money?"

"Yep. Let's head there right away."

She takes out a coin pouch out of her robes, one of the only things she managed to escape with.

 

We are walking side by side down the road to Luton.

Stella is using her staff as a walking stick, the wind playing with the edges of her pointed hat.

She takes a deep breath.

"The countryside has a certain charm, don't you think?"

"I guess."

I turn my head to look at the vast fields, a sight i've seen many times before.

It doesn't make me feel bored or excited, happy or sad, it doesn't make me feel anything, but it does make me think.

"Alex!"

We hear a voice and turn around.

Someone is approaching towards us from behind.

It's Alfreda.

We stop and she catches up to us.

"Hey Alex."

She notices Stella next to me and becomes shy, fiddling with her hands while looking down at the ground.

"H-Hello..."

Stella gives her a faint smile.

"Hello, and you are?"

"This is Alfreda, the elf i mentioned."

Alfreda raises her head and tries to gather some confidence.

"I-I can introduce myself! My name is A-Alfreda Venphine, n-nice to meet you!"

"Nice to meet you too Alfreda, i'm Stella."

She says with a kind tone.

Hearing this makes Alfreda less shy and she looks at her properly.

"Woah! Your hair and eyes are so blue, like the sky! So pretty!"

The sudden compliment catches her off guard and she pulls down her hat to cover her face slightly, maybe to hide a blush.

"Heh, thank you."

"So, what do you want?"

Alfreda turns to me.

"Oh um, the reason i ran over is because i was wondering if you could hang out? It's been a while."

"No, i'm busy."

"Oh, what are you doing?"

"We're going to Luton to check some stuff out."

The idea of going to Luton makes her excited.

"Can i come with you?"

"No. Come on, let's go."

I continue walking, Stella following behind me.

"Eh! Why can't i come!?"

The distance between us increases and i respond loudly.

"I'll tell you later!"

"Ah, meanie!"

She shouts back in annoyance and watches us walk further away.

"Why can't he spend time with me? Why does he want to hang out with some other girl? What's so special about her anyway? I've never even seen her before!"

She begins heading back home, pouting and even feeling... jealous?

We only manage to take a few steps when Stella stops and speaks up.

"Why don't you want her to come?"

"Eh, i think she will bombard you with questions if she finds out you can do magic, we haven't really seen much of it here."

"Well, i'm fine with that, if she is interested in learning i could teach her."

"Don't say i didn't warn you."

I turn around and see Alfreda in the distance.

I then take a deep breath and shout.

"ALFREDA!"

Alfreda raises her head and looks around to see what called out to her.

She then turns around towards us and sees us.

"YOU CAN COME IF YOU WANT!"

Her face lights up and she begins sprinting towards us.

She finally catches up with us and we resume walking to Luton.

"So, what are you going to do in Luton?"

She asks eagerly.

I remain silent and let Stella do all the talking and answer Alfreda's questions.

"We are going to Luton to see if there's a magic shop, i'm going to buy a new staff."

"Magic? Shop? Can you do magic!?"

Stella chuckles at her excitement.

"Yes, do you want to see?"

"Yes please!"

While walking, Stella extends her hand towards Alfreda, her open palm facing up.

"Aqua Orb."

On her hand, forms a ball of water.

"Waah! Amazing!"

Alfreda reaches out to poke it and it breaks, wetting Stella's hand and some of it lands on Alfreda's face.

"Cold!"

"Heh, here, try again, 'Aqua Orb'."

She forms another ball of water on her hand.

Alfreda slowly reaches out to poke it again, but when she does, instead of breaking it, it dents under her touch, like a water balloon.

"Eh, why isn't it breaking?"

"I'm focusing more magic to it, manipulating its structure."

Alfreda presses harder against the water ball and it bursts on her face.

"Ah!"

"Sorry, i should've warned you."

Stella takes out a handkerchief from her pocket and hands it to Alfreda.

She wipes her face dry and hands it back.

"It's okay. Oh, the water was warm this time!"

"Yes, with magic you can also manipulate the temperature and other aspects of it."

Alfreda suddenly grabs Stella's hand and Stella looks at her confused.

"Please teach me magic!"

"Heh, sure."

Time passes by Stella teaching Alfreda all the things she taught me.

Alfreda had some trouble understanding some of the concepts and how certain things work.

Despite her lack of understanding, she listened to Stella very eagerly.

And just like i warned, she kept asking a ton of questions, often when Stella was in the middle of explaining something.

I side-eyed her, it seemed like it didn't bother her, instead she looked slightly happy teach her.

"Would you like to know if you have an affinity to magic Alfreda?"

"You can do that!? Yes please!"

We stop for a moment.

"Here, give me your hands."

Alfreda does as she says and Stella holds them.

"Now close your eyes and focus on yourself."

She closes her eyes and breaths calmly.

Stella also closes her eyes and is then surrounded by blue magic.

Her magic begins flowing into Alfreda and surrounds her too.

The magic causes Alfreda's hair to flow gently.

"Hmm."

Stella thinks audibly, as if probing for something.

The magic around them vanishes and Stella let's go of Alfreda's hands.

Alfreda looks at Stella curiously.

"Well, did you find my affinity?"

"I didn't sense any affinity for any element in the arcane realm, but i did sense traces for something else, holy magic, quite a bit in fact."

Alfreda's eyes sparkle.

"Holy magic!? I can use holy magic?"

"I think so. I'm sure you will become proficient with it if you study."

"Yay! Did you hear that Alex? I can use magic!"

"Good for you."

I congratulate her with a neutral tone.

Honestly i'm quite surprised that she has the potential to learn holy magic.

Like Stella said, she might become quite skilled in it if she decides to study.

"Um, how do i study holy magic?"

She asks Stella.

"Hmm, i believe to study holy magic, you have to join a church, since it revolves around prayers and faith to a deity."

"Alex, do you know if Luton has a church?"

"I don't know, you can ask around once we get there."

"And if it doesn't, i'm sure you can find a church if travel closer to the capital."

Stella suggests.

"I would have to leave Hillcrest? I'm not sure i could travel that far, what if i get homesick?"

"Well, if you feel pursuing education in holy magic isn't your calling, there is nothing wrong with doing other things."

"Stella tries to comfort her.

"I'll think about it then. What about you Alex, can you use magic?"

"No, but i don't mind. I prefer to use my fists anyway."

Stella looks ahead and sees the town gates.

"Oh, we have arrived. Let's see if we can find a magic shop."

"Yeah!"

Alfreda says excitedly.

I nod and the three of us enter the town, which is quite lively today.

 

We arrive to the town square.

"Hmm, i don't see any magic shops around this area."

Stella looks at the various buildings around her, trying to find signs of a magic shop.

"Oh, i know! How about we split up and look around?"

Alfreda suggests.

"Fine by me."

I quickly choose a direction to a random street and head there.

"I'll go this way!"

Alfreda runs off.

Stella smiles slightly and heads away from us.

A moment later.

Hmm, i don't see any magic shops. What would one even look like?

I think to myself while walking steadily with my hands in my pockets.

"Guys! Come here!"

I suddenly hear Alfreda shouting a few streets away.

After passing a few alleyways, i turn a corner to find Alfreda and Stella waiting for me in front of a building.

"Did you find it?"

I ask Alfreda as i approach them.

"I think so."

She points to a sign next to the door which reads "Magical armaments in stock".

"Then let's head inside and see if they have what we're looking for."

Stella takes charge and we follow her inside.

A bell rings when we open the door.

"Welcome!"

A middle-aged man with grey hair, a mustache and glasses greets us.

"Let me know if you need anything."

He informs us and resumes reading what appears to be a newspaper.

Stella approaches him.

"Yes, do you happen to sell any staffs? I'm a mage."

"You arrived just in time, a new batch of medium grade staffs just arrived to today."

"Excellent, may i have a look?"

"Of course, feel free to look around."

His gaze moves Stella to Alfreda, who he just noticed.

She just smiles at him.

He then notices me.

He looks at me up and down and notes my slight frown.

"But i'm not selling that boy anything, he looks like he would set his house on fire."

I frown at him, annoyed.

You better watch your mouth or i'm going to burn your house down.

"Heh, no need to worry, he can't use magic."

Stella informs him with a sarcastic tone and walks over to a rack with the staffs lined up.

Oh great, she can be sarcastic.

I sigh and step away from the counter to explore the shop.

Unlike Gondo's shop which mostly sells weapons, this one focuses more on defensive gear like armors and other equipment.

Looking at the items on display, i can see breastplates, vambraces, gauntlets, greaves and helmets to name a few.

There is also lighter gear made from leather or smaller plates of metal.

I walk to another section of the shop and there are also regular clothing like jackets, boots and bags.

"Alex, look what i found!"

Alfreda walks over to me, wearing a large pointed hat, similar to Stella's.

It doesn't really fit on her.

"Haha!"

She lifts the brim and laughs.

I look at her, not really knowing what to think.

She takes the hat off and adjusts her butterfly hair clip.

I turn my attention back to the armors and pick up a gauntlet.

It's surprisingly heavy and feels solid, definitely something that offers good protection.

Although it's too big for me, i decide to put my hand inside it.

Suddenly a strange feeling surrounds my arm.

Somehow, my arm feels, stronger?

I quickly take the gauntlet off and put it back.

Well, that was weird, might have to look further into it later.

Me and Alfreda return to the counter.

Stella seems have chosen a staff she wants to purchase.

She pays and we follow her outside.

"Thank you for your purchase and please come again!"

The shop keeper shouts as the door closes.

"Well, did you find something good?"

I ask Stella as we head to the town gate.

"Yes, have a look."

I take the staff from her and look it over.

Like her previous staff, it's made out wood and has carvings on it.

On it's head is the magic crystal she talked to me about.

It's about the size of my fist and is bright green in color when light hits it.

 

When we reach the town gate, the sun fades and we notice the weather has become cloudy.

"Is it going to rain?"

Alfreda asks curiously.

A few droplets fall on the ground but it quickly turns into heavy rain.

"Aah! My dress!"

Alfreda panics.

I grunt, i doubt there will be hot water for bath today.

"Hmm, let's test this new staff then. You two, take a hold of my arms."

Alfreda does as she says but i remain hesitant.

"Why would i do that?"

"You'll see."

I get next to her and grab her arm lightly and look to my side.

Stella brings her staff in front of her and focuses.

"Levitate."

Suddenly we are surrounded by light blue magic and we hover off the ground.

"What the...!?"

Surprised and confused, i grab her arm firmly.

"Wow! We are floating!"

Alfreda says in amazement.

"Now hold on tight!"

Not knowing what to expect i hold her arm with both hands and prepare myself.

"Wind Sprint."

Suddenly we launch forward with incredible speed, flying a few meters off the ground along the road.

"Waaa! So fast!"

Alfreda screams excitedly.

"AAAAAH! STOP!"

I shout at the top of my lungs, my eyes open while rain drops hit my face.

With this kind of speed, we quickly approach Alfreda's house.

"That's my house! Stop here!"

Stella slows down and we descend in front of Alfreda's house.

I breath heavily when my feet touch the ground, my face sweaty under the heavy rain.

"Haa, haa!"

Alfreda let's go of Stella's arm, causing her magic to fade around her and she runs towards her front door.

"Thank you for teaching me about magic Stella, i had fun! Bye!"

Once Alfreda gets inside, Stella focuses her magic.

"Now let's get back too."

Her spell activates and we lift off the ground.

"Wind Sprint."

"NO! WAIT!"

Without warning, we dash through the air once again.

The distance is quickly covered but to me it feels like an eternity.

We finally arrive at my house and we descend in the backyard.

Once my feet touch the ground, i let go off her arm and collapse on my knees, shaking a little and breathing heavily.

"Haa, haa, haa!"

"Come on, it wasn't that bad. Come, let's get inside before we catch a cold."

I lift my head and frown at her.

After a few breaths, i get up and we get inside.

"Ugh, i'm taking a bath."

 

I'm about to undress in the laundry room when the door suddenly opens.

Stella steps inside.

"What are you doing here!? I'm going to take a bath!"

"Oh, is it okay if i take a bath with you then?"

"No! Besides, the water isn't even warm."

"Heh, don't you realize you're in front of a mage, heating up some water is child's play to me."

Her tone and body language makes her look like she is tried to act cool.

But the idea of a hot bath after being drenched by the rain does sound tempting.

"So? What do you think?"

"...Fine."

We undress and i unintentionally catch a glimpse of her when she wraps a towel around herself.

She points to the stool when we step inside the bathroom.

"Take a seat, i'll wash you."

I do so, reluctantly.

She gets behind me and holds her hand above my head.

I'm about to look up when suddenly warm water showers out of her hand.

"Is the temperature okay?"

"It's fine."

As much as i hate to admit it, it does feel nice.

In my previous life, i considered myself as a man of great self-control.

I didn't really allow myself to enjoy things because I saw them as distractions, so they only played a practical role.

"I'm going to wash your hair now."

She coats her hands with magical soap again and scrubs my head.

Her delicate fingers run through my hair and massage my scalp.

I keep my eyes firmly shut, pressing my lips together while my hands grasp my knees.

I didn't really like it when things were done for me.

To me, accepting outside help, whatever it was, was a sign of weakness.

So why am i allowing her to do this?

Why i'm sharing the bathroom with her?

Why didn't i lash out at her, tell her to wait until i'm finished with my bath?

It's something i would have done in my previous life, so why now?

Is it because of this small body?

I don't understand it, and that's why i don't like it.

"There, that should be enough. Wait a moment, i'm going to fill the bathtub for you."

Stella holds her both arms above the tub and warm water pours out of her hands, filling it quickly.

Once she is done, i get in.

I sigh as i submerge myself in the water.

She sits on the stool and washes her hair.

I decide not to continue my current thoughts and instead try to think about something else.

"You're a pretty good teacher."

She pauses and brings her attention to me.

"The way you explained how magic works to me and Alfreda sounded like you have done it before. You explained in quite great detail what tools a mage needs and how they work."

"Oh, thank you."

She continues cleaning herself and speaks up again.

"Well, when i'm not out adventuring or studying in an academy, i travel around as a teacher."

I side-eye her.

"A teacher?"

"Yes, i'm quite often hired by families to see if their children can use magic, and if they do, i stay with them for some time to teach them magic. Most of the time i'm hired by nobles, but i do occasionally travel to the countryside."

Hmm, another mystery.

She must be a quite skilled teacher for nobles to seek her services.

And if they're nobles then they must also pay her good money.

"Then i'm guessing that you teaching me and Alfreda for free is your way of paying us back for saving you?"

"Heh, you caught me. But i'm sorry for keeping many things about me a secret, it's for your safety."

"Hmm, if you say so."

For our safety?

What does she mean?

"Yawn!"

I'm beginning to get tired so i get out the bath.

"You're done?"

"Yeah."

"Well, good night then."

She gets in the bath, i don't reply and i close the door behind me.

 

After a hot bath i decide not to get sweaty by doing my night exercises.

I lay on my bed, thinking about today's events.

Magical artifacts, Alfreda can use holy magic, Stella bought a new staff and sometimes works as a teacher.

And the memories of my past life, the man i was.

The man i continue to be.

0