Chapter 23: Black Sword
80 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two days later.

 

Me and Eric are walking through the burned wheatfields to assess the damage.

"Not good, not good at all."

Eric rubs his chin in silence.

He squats down and grabs a handful of ash.

"Despite the rain, the fire spread fast, they must've used magic or special bombs..."

"Shouldn't you be resting? You're still hurt."

I ask him, he's far from recovered.

"I don't have time to rest, we have to fix the village as soon as possible. Come on, let's head back home."

He winces when getting up and i follow him.

I can see a slight wobble on his step, what kind of attacks were those?

Grem's attack created a small earthquake around the greataxe and another attack which still cut Eric despite him stopping it.

Didn't think i'd have anything in common with him, training despite being injured isn't a foreign concept to me, since i often did that in the old world.

Once we arrive home, we go to the living room where Anna and Ava are.

"How bad is it, Eric?"

Anna asks, she looks exhausted from worry and having to heal Eric with her weak healing magic.

"Come, sit on the couch so that i can heal you."

"Thank you Anna."

He leans down to kiss her forehead and takes a seat next to her.

"Heal."

Anna casts her healing magic on his left shoulder.

"Almost half of the fields had burned up, the rain didn't stop it's spread at all, not only that, the grain storages also got hit."

She looks at him in shock.

"Does that mean?"

"Yes, we don't have enough grain to last through the winter and it's too late to plant them again because fall is already starting."

"And the letter? Are you really going to answer to the king's army? What about us?"

"I have to Anna if we intend to continue living in this village. We have to figure out a place where you and the kids can stay in until i'm no longer needed by the army. Mercia isn't safe anymore so you can't stay here."

"Where could we go?"

"Anywhere else is fine, the bigger problem is how you're going to afford your accommodations."

She thinks for a moment.

"I could try to find some work in a church since i worked as healer. They might allow us to stay but there's a chance they're only willing to take in me and one child."

"Hmm, nevertheless i'm giving you all of our savings just in case, i doubt i've much use for it in the army and it would be dangerous to leave it here unguarded."

As far as i know, Anna isn't skilled in any other professions besides healing, so a church has the highest chance of providing income.

The one child rule is the biggest obstacle.

It would be best if Ava was chosen since she's younger, but what about me?

What am i going to do?

"If a church is only willing to accept one child, then i'm willing to be on my own."

I speak up, the world can be a dangerous place for someone my age, but i might survive with my experiences and knowledge from the old world.

"Don't be foolish, Alex! We'll stay together no matter what, we won't abandon you."

Anna says firmly.

"But it might increase your chances of getting a job at a church. If you're willing to guide me, i could seek employment, reducing your financial burden."

Since this world is set in the medieval period, child labor might be quite common.

Eric rubs his chin, he has noted my unusual maturity and speaks up.

"Do you think you can handle it? Being by yourself, far away from us? Cities are much more dangerous compared to villages."

"What are the chances of a city being raided?"

His eye twitches, a sensitive topic.

"You have a point. Since you can read, write and do math already, a potential employer doesn't have to worry about your qualifications too much."

"You can't be serious Eric!? He's just a child! He can't be on his own!"

Anna says loudly.

He locks his eyes with mine, leaning forward with his elbows on top of his knees.

"Sp, Alex, do you think you have what it takes to survive on your own, by yourself, without us?"

I step forward, lifting my chin and meeting his doubts head on.

"I do, Eric. I do believe i can survive on my own until things get fixed. I know i'm only seven years old, but i have to ask you to stop underestimating me."

He inhales sharply through his nose and stands up.

"Hmph, very well then. Come, follow me to the basement, there's something i want you to see."

 

We go outside and to the basement door.

He lifts the doors open and we descend down the stairs.

"What are we doing here? Isn't this just used for storage and as a pantry?"

I ask him as he takes out a candle, lights it and hands it to me.

"Hold this for me, i have to move this shelf."

"But there's nothing behind it? Why are we here?"

"Just be patient! Hnng!"

He grabs the bottom of the shelf and lifts it, revealing the dirt wall behind it.

He takes a garden trovel off the shelf and begins digging the wall with it.

I look at him in confusion, not sure what he's trying to show me.

Pieces of the dirt wall fall on the ground and reveal wood planks underneath.

Judging from the shape it looks like a doorway.

He clears more dirt and puts his fingers between the planks to pulls them off.

Once the planks are removed, a small hole is revealed.

"Give me the candle."

I give him the candle and he crouches through the opening.

"Come."

He tells me from the hole and i feel skeptical.

"You want me to come in there?"

"Yes, now hurry up."

Due to my small size i can just walk through the hole.

The small space is illuminated by the candle.

Eric faces me and points to the ground.

In the middle of the ground, there's something protruding from it and it appears to be covered by a old piece of cloth.

"This thing appeared on the night you were born and i've kept it a secret from you ever since. My initial plan was to reveal it to you once you got older, but due to recent events i might as well show it to you now."

He reaches down takes the cloth away.

My eyes widen as a black sword is revealed underneath.

It appears to be a short sword and its blade is buried into the ground.

"This sword appeared when you were born."

"Is that... so?"

For some reason the sword feels familiar, but i don't recall seeing it anywhere.

"Do you see that round cut on the roof? The living room is above us."

He raises his candle and i can see a round cut right above the sword.

"At this same spot in the living room, there's also a similar cut on the ceiling, which leads to mine and Anna's bedroom."

"What do the holes have to do with the sword?"

He sets the candle down and grabs the hilt of the sword.

"For some reason its incredibly heavy."

He tries to pull it off the ground but it barely moves.

"That's why i had to cut the holes so it could fall down here. Anyway, since it appeared when you were born, it might be connected to you. Go on, try to pick it up."

I look a the sword, still skeptical about what he said.

Well, here goes nothing.

Immediately when my right hand touches the hilt, an overwhelming feeling surrounds my being, causing me to drop on one knee.

"Alex, what's wrong?"

Eric looks at me concerned.

My knuckles turn white as i hold it tightly, then a black bracelet and chain appear on my wrist, the chain connecting to the swords ring pommel.

The feeling is hard to describe, but i sense a connection between me and the sword.

Determined, i raise back up and grab the hilt with both hands.

With one strong pull, i pull the sword off the ground.

It's lighter than i expected and i fall on my back.

I sit up and hold it in front of me, surprised.

"I... did it?"

The solid black blade slightly shines in the candle light.

Its design is very simple, lacking any kind of distinct features other than the red gem on the base of the blade, near the hilt.

Unlike the blade, it shines brightly when i bring it closer to the candle, a ruby perhaps?

I don't see any damage or rust on it either, so it might have some magical qualities to it, maybe?

Too bad Stella isn't here, she could probably give some insight.

"So, what now?"

I raise my head to look at Eric.

He rubs his head and inhales deeply through his nose.

"We'll begin your training, starting tomorrow."

We get out of the hole and he looks around the basement.

"here, cover the blade with this so you don't hurt yourself with it. We'll get a scabbard for it later."

He hands me a old sheet and to cover the blade with it.

"Are you going to ask Gondo to make one?"

"Yes, he's the best blacksmith i know. He'll be able to make one in no time."

 

We step outside the basement, Eric heading back inside when i see Alfreda standing behind the front gate.

I'm quite bemused to see her here, considering what happened, especially to her father.

I set the sword down, leaning against the wall next to the door.

"What are you doing here Alfreda?"

"Oh, i came by too see... if you wanted to hang out for a little bit."

She says silently, offering a weak smile, clearly forcing herself to look somewhat happy.

I look around me briefly before turning my attention back to her.

"What do you want to do?"

She looks down at the ground, her hands resting on the gate.

"...Can we go walk by the river?"

"Fine."

I open the gate for her and follow her.

We go around the house into the backyard, walk past Anna's garden and the big tree.

We arrive to the river, which flows just like it always has.

I feel that the whole atmosphere of the village has changed, it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Like dark clouds above the whole village, not just literally.

Alfreda sits on a large rock, her elf ears drooping low as she watches the water.

I've never seen her this sad before.

I stand close to her with my arms crossed, not really knowing what to say.

"So, how're you and your mother holding up?"

The question sounds stupid out loud, as the answer is obvious.

"I'm fine, i think. Mama's still very sad, she cries a lot, especially during the night."

"Oh..."

"She said i should come visit you to cheer myself up, that's why i'm here."

"Well, i doubt i can make much of a difference."

"Just us being by the river is enough, i already feel a little better."

There's a brief silence.

"I heard your dad saved the village from Grem. Me and Mama are very grateful."

"Yeah, he's strong."

I don't really want to talk about Eric because she has just lost her own, i try to change the subject.

"So, what're you going to do now?"

She breaths in deep.

"About that, Mama said we'll be moving away, not just Hillcrest but away from Mercia. We were told about the war."

"Oh?"

I remember her desire to stay in Hillcrest, she seems to really like this place, but with war looming over us, it would be wise to leave.

"When are you leaving?"

"Sniff, tomorrow. We're going to Luton to get Papa's body and take him to the great elf tree to be buried."

She begins tearing up.

"Did she say anything about where you'll be going next, after burying your dad?"

"She didn't say anywhere specific, as long as the kingdom has a very good school, because she says i'm at that age to start a proper education."

"Hmm, it's a good thing you already know how to read and write then, you shouldn't have too much trouble in the first few grades."

"But it would mean we wouldn't be able to see each other anymore, a-and i don't want that!"

She stands up quickly and hugs me tightly, taking me by surprise.

"What, why?"

"Because your my best friend and i'll miss you! I'm going to be all alone!"

Her tears stain my shirt and i rub the back of my head.

"Eh, you'll still have your mom, and you'll get lots of friends in school anyway."

"But what if they don't like me? What if they start bullying me and you won't be there to protect me!"

I grab her shoulders and try to push her off me, but she tightens her grip.

"That's why you should learn to stand up and protect yourself, whether you like it or not."

"I don't want to!"

I use more strength and manage to get her off me.

Her eyes are slightly red, her tears running down her flushed cheeks.

"Sniff!"

"I told you i won't babysit you! You have to learn to be strong, because i hate weakness!"

I let go off her and cross my arms, shifting my gaze towards the river.

"You're stronger than you think."

She wipes her eyes with the back of her hand.

"W-What?"

"Grem's camp is a good example of that."

"B-But i was so scared..."

"Yet despite that, you didn't completely shut down. There's nothing wrong with feeling fear, as long as you don't let it control you. We were surrounded by countless violent men, but you still continued to follow my lead."

She lowers her head in thought, thinking about our time in captivity.

"And you healed my hand with your healing magic."

I show her my left palm which Grem cut with his greataxe.

"Not even a scar left. You have strength, potentially lots of it, you just have to look for it."

For her, all of this is quite hard for her to handle, so she sits back down on the rock.

Her tears seem to have stopped for now.

"I-I don't know, Alex. I don't have the kind of strength you do."

Sigh, this girl...

I pinch my nose bridge, i never imagined friendships would be this hard to deal with.

"Fine, be that way then, you can consider this the end of our friendship."

She lifts her eyes in shock.

"W-What?"

"I refuse to be friends with a weakling."

I cross my arms and turn my back towards her.

"What're you talking about!?"

She runs up to me and grabs the back of my shirt.

"You heard me."

"No, please don't leave me!"

Says with a voice full of desperation.

"Then are you going to get stronger?"

"Huh? I don't kno-"

I take a step forward.

"Yes! I'll do it! I promise to get stronger!"

I turn around to face her again.

"Good. I guess we can remain friends, for now at least."

She wipes a tear off her eye and nods.

"Y-Yeah. Thank you Alex, for believing in me."

"Sigh, i'm sure you'll be fine."

I walk past her to sit on the rock.

She follows suit and sits down beside me, leaning her head against my shoulder.

We watch the river flow, occasional fish swims past the surface as dark clouds hang over us.

After sitting for some time, I stand up.

"You should head back home, your mom probably needs your help packing up or something, since you'll be leaving tomorrow."

"Yeah..."

She still looks a bit sad, reluctant to leave.

"I'll come visit before you leave, if that makes you feel any better."

Her eyes lighten up a little.

"Really? You promise?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, i'll be going then."

With a nod and a small smile, she runs off, leaving me by myself at the river.

I sit down on the rock again, elbows on my knees, my head resting on my hands.

"Sigh, why things had to go this way..."

I quietly say to myself out loud.

I don't feel regret, or sadness, not even anger, I don't feel... anything really, or i do but don't know exactly what.

2