How Come You Can Use Magic!?
447 3 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Sooooo? How was your first night alone,” Rena asked with a mischievous smile.

Rena had left early that morning to accept the contract for the party. Despite that, her first question upon returning was about Selene’s nonexistent love life.

“Rena, we are not in that kind of relationship. Do not make unfair assumptions,” Lilith answered before Selene could come up with something good.

“Eh!? Aren’t you always touching her,” Rena asked in disbelief.

“Demons do not attach meaning to those things like humans do.”

“Really!? What else do demons view differently than humans,” an eager Ellie asked.

“…Selene, why is this small human acting so strangely?”

“She’s just curious about demons. Is everything settled with Beatrice,” Selene asked Rena.

“Yup! It seems your little outburst with the lord won’t affect our ability to take contracts. The goblin stronghold is half-a-day journey to the north. There’s not much information about what kind of fortifications they have, so we’ll need to do some reconnaissance once we get there.”

“And when you say ‘we’ you just mean me, right,” Selene joked.

“You can become invisible and teleport, excuse me for assuming you could handle a little scouting.”

“Fine, fine… Hey, where’s Cassie?”

“…Are you kidding me,” Rena exclaimed. “I’ve been up since dawn and she’s still asleep!? I’m going to drag her butt out of that bed!”

Rena rushed up the stairs and threw open the door to Cassie’s room. Just as she suspected, Cassie was still sleeping soundly like there was nothing in the world to do. There was something about Cassie that enraged Rena, regardless of what she was doing.

“Wake up you lazy ass!”

Rena crawled onto the bed with the intention of shaking the aggravating girl awake, but before she could, Cassie wrapped her arms around her and held her against her chest.

“Mmm… You’re so warm, Jiro-kun,” Cassie mumbled.

“Eh? Umm… C-Cassie, can you let me go?”

Rena’s cheeks were bright red from embarrassment, and she had nowhere to hide. She struggled to get out of Cassie’s deceptively strong embrace, but that just made Cassie hold her tighter.

“You’re lively today, Izumi-san. That’s okay, we can do it after I brush my teeth…”

“…What kind of words are you saying?”

“Come here, Yuki-kun, I want a good morning kiss.”

“Just how many people were you da-“

Before Rena could finish her question, a still asleep Cassie pressed her lips on hers. As if she wasn’t already upset, now the infuriating girl she meant to scold had taken her precious first kiss!

“What the hell kind of dreams are you having!? Wake up and let me go!”

Cassie finally opened her eyes to find an extremely flustered Rena trapped in her arms.

“…Ahhhhhhh! What the heck were you doing to me!?” Cassie released the small elf and jumped out of bed.

“I didn’t do anything; you were the one hugging and kissing me! I lost my first kiss to some annoying dumbass who was asleep mumbling about weird guys!”

“We kissed!?”

“Yup. And, may I say, it was a very moving performance,” a grinning Selene interrupted their fight.

“You were watching the whole time!? Why didn’t you stop her!?”

“Well, you didn’t seem to be that against it.”

“Like hell I wasn’t! Why would I ever want that lazy jerk to do anything to me!?”

“I kissed a girl!? No! I’m not Selene! This is a nightmare!” Cassie was upset for an entirely different reason than Rena.

“Why is that the thing you’re upset about!? Give me back my first kiss!”

“Now, now, Rena. In complete fairness to Cassie, she thought you were one of her ex-boyfriends at the time. It doesn’t really count since she didn’t think she was kissing you.”

“Which boyfriend,” Cassie asked.

“You named three of them, how should I know!? Why does it matter if it was Yuki-whatever!?”

“Oh, so it was Yuki-kun… Heh, you’re lucky I didn’t do the things I did with him.”

“Okay! This conversation is getting weird, so let’s end it here for now. Come on, Rena, we should let Cassie get dressed.”

Selene led Rena downstairs with the hope that she would be able to calm her down enough to not make the trip awkward. The last thing she needed was more awkwardness within her party. Even though things between her and Lilith were good, she didn’t want everyone to keep asking her questions. It was all made worse by the presence of their newest addition, who happened to be a student.

“What happened up there,” Ellie asked. She was sitting awkwardly close to Lilith, expressing her fascination with demons in a very odd way.

“Oh, nothing important. Don’t worry about it. Are you ready for your first contract,” Selene deflected.

Rena stormed outside to gather the final things for their journey. There was nothing about the situation that she wanted to discuss. In her ideal world, she would have forgotten the whole thing entirely.

After a few minutes to decompress, the party started on their way towards the goblin fortress. They were still too close to the city for Selene to use her dragon form, so they were stuck traveling on foot. The silence was only filled with the sound of grass being crushed under feet as they slowly made their way.

“Don’t you have a spell that can speed things up,” Ellie whispered to Selene.

“Ugh. Lilith asked the same thing the last time we went on a contract. The spells I have would only affect me and maybe one other person. Once we get further from the city, I’ll show you something really cool.”

“Speaking of Lilith, is there a reason she’s walking with Rena instead of you?”

“Yeah…” Selene sighed. “We talked about some stuff last night and we made some decisions. I’ll leave it at that… Aren’t you a bit young to be asking such personal questions?”

“You’re only a couple years older than me. Besides, you were fine with dating a thousand of years old demon before you dumped her, so you’re not one to talk.”

“We didn’t break up because we were never together. It’s more complicated than how it seems, don’t jump to conclusions… Alright, we seem to be far enough.”

Selene turned around to address the rest of the party. Rena and Lilith were chatting about whatever and Cassie had been sulking behind them the entire time. Selene had no clue why Cassie was so upset or why she was sulking, but she also didn’t care enough to ask.

“Ready,” she yelled out to them.

“Yeah! Let’s do this,” Rena shouted excitedly. Somehow, she was able to recover from her nightmare of a morning.

Selene activated her Dragon Form, scaring the young mage that didn’t know what to expect.

“What kind of spell is that!?”

“You’re better off just getting used to this. I bet she’ll go all out on the goblins to show off,” Rena said as she helped the young student onto her friend’s back.

“Selene looks good with wings. However, I am more excited to ride you again.”

“Ugh, I hate flying… Try not to make so many turns this time,” Cassie complained.

Thanks to Selene’s flying speed, they arrived at the area where the stronghold was reported to be in just under an hour. Once she returned to her human form and healed Cassie’s motion sickness, she went about planning the next phase of their plan.

“The stronghold should be a few hundred meters to the north,” Rena opened the discussion. “Selene, we need you to scout the area before we can launch an assault.”

“Right, you guys wait here, I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

The moment Selene disappeared; it became acutely obvious that no one was interested in talking. That is, everyone except for Ellie who was enamored with the first demon she had ever met.

“Umm, Lilith, can I ask you a few things about demons?”

“Very well, small human,” Lilith replied, unaware of just how awkward the teenaged mage’s questions were going to be.

Meanwhile, Selene speedily and stealthily moved through the woods. She had been adept at the stealth playstyle and was utilizing all the skills she learned from years of gaming. After a few minutes, she noticed a clearing ahead of her, so she activated her Hell Eye ability. Just as Rena said, there was a glut of goblins that were residing in one large area.

Selene moved closer, utilizing her cloak’s invisibility effect in order to stay out of their view. Their stronghold was composed of wooden posts that were haphazardly stacked between palisades, built against a cliff face. A handful of guard towers are situated almost at random along the walls, and a rudimentary gate sat in the middle.

From her observations, it wouldn’t take much to break through the walls, but that would only accomplish making a funnel for a thousand goblins to flow through. Even though she was fully capable of razing the entire structure and massacring all that resided within, she didn’t want to take away the fun for her friends. Instead, she came up with a fun way to take the goblins by complete surprise.

She teleported back to her friends only to find a very strange slight.

“Uhhh, why is Ellie bound and gagged?”

“The small human would not stop asking me questions about how succubi have sex. She was particularly interested in how I use my tail,” Lilith answered without batting an eye.

“…Alright. Can you untie her, we’re going to attack in a minute?”

“Very well.”

“…Where are the other two?”

“They were fighting again, so I put them to sleep,” Selene replied like it nothing.

“You really don’t like being annoyed. Remind me not to get on your bad side.”

Selene went over to the girls laying in the grass only to find them cuddling in their sleep.

“And you said you don’t like each other,” Selene said loudly.

“…Aaaaahhhh!” Rena screamed as she scrambled to her feet. “Why were you holding me!?”

“I’m used to holding someone when I sleep, I must have done it out habit,” Cassie explained while she stretched her arms over her head.

“Just how easy were you!?”

“I had fun; sue me. Did you scout that gremlin house or whatever?”

“You two really were made for each other… Yeah, I scouted. It’s a pretty rough structure but it’s defensible. I have a plan, but you might think it’s overkill…”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The sky darkened over the makeshift fortress. Ash and soot filled the air as black smoke descended over the inhabitants. The goblins within rushed around and cried out in fear of the sudden shift. They had no clue that their lives were already over.

The entirety of the wooden walls went up in blue flames and meteors fell from the sky, punching gaping holes in the defenses. Goblins that tried to escape their fiery fortress were immediately killed by a combination of projectiles and fireballs. What was once a place of safety and power was turned into a cage of death in mere moments.

Just as things were reaching fever pitch, a few goblins caught sight of a terrifying sight. From the smoke emerged a figure clad entirely in a cloud of ash with only their red eyes piercing through. It flew through the air and landed in the center of what was once a stronghold.

A hail of meteors crashed around the shadowy figuring, killing dozens of goblins before they could process what they were seeing. The goblins that survived the volley of flaming rocks noticed that the ashen figure was holding a blade that glowed bright blue even in the darkness. Unfortunately, it was the last thing they saw as the blade sliced through the goblins with ease.

None of them could find the figure. One moment it was to their left, then to their right, then behind them, and by the time they finally saw them, they were dead. Large bolts of lightning shot from the sky and blasted groups of goblins until they were scattered. Alone and in the dark, the only fate they could look forward to was being cut to pieces by the blade of the smoke beast.

More and more goblins attempted to escape the fortress of death, but none made it far before being engulfed in flames and riddled with projectiles. The stacks of goblins grew, each with an arrow directly in their hearts, as they ran into their sudden death. With nowhere to go, the goblins’ numbers quickly dwindled.

Just when they didn’t think things could get worse, the living shadow punched the ground, instantly turning the field to lava. Goblins clung to what remained of the wooden walls only to be enveloped in molten rock.

In a matter of minutes, the goblin army was annihilated, and their stronghold was wiped entirely from existence. The ground solidified and cooled instantly, the air cleared of smoke, and the sun shined over the area once more. The only living thing left where the stronghold once stood was a silver-haired beauty that wore a wholly impractical suit of blue and silver armor.

“Holy crap, that was ridiculous,” Ellie cried out as she rushed over to Selene. “I had no clue any of that was even possible!”

“Hell hath no greater fury than a woman scorned… Or something like that! Wasn’t that super cool!? I hadn’t used most of those abilities yet and it was so fun!”

“You’re such a showoff,” Cassie complained as the rest of the party joined Selene in what used to be a stronghold. “You could have just fought them normally, but you just had to flex your magic for the new girl.”

“Oh, stop nitpicking,” Rena scolded. “Why must you argue about every little thing!? You can’t even use a bow that doesn’t do the work for you!”

“What are you saying, pointy-ear!? You couldn’t even hurt those things if it wasn’t for that fancy new slingshot that Selene was nice enough to give you!”

“Pointy-ear!? Why you racist piece of sh- “

“Break it up, you two. We literally just killed a thousand goblins, can’t you wait five minutes to start shouting,” Selene rebuked the bickering comrades.

“Fine. I’ll search the bodies and collect their mana gems,” Rena pouted as she stormed off to complete her task.

Before Selene could say anything else, a familiar tail caressed her cheek.

“You are quite adept at demon magic, Selene,” Lilith purred into her ear.

“You’re as affectionate as ever, Lilith… What did you think of your first contract, Ellie? Are you glad your master suggested you stay with me?”

“I’m still unsure about how long I want to stay with you all, but it’s been informative. The magic you used is unlike anything I’ve heard of. Can you show me what spells you used one at a time when we get back?”

“For sure, but don’t feel bad if you aren’t successful at first. Casting such high-level magic may also be more draining than you’re accustomed to.”

Just as Ellie was about to respond to her warning, Cassie tapped on Selene’s shoulder.

“Can I speak to you in private,” she asked in a hushed whisper.

Sensing the serious nature of her request, Selene nodded and pulled her to the side. They hadn’t spent much time alone since Lilith joined the party, but they were still connected by a shared experience. No matter how much they annoyed each other, they were stuck together.

“What is it,” Selene asked once they were a safe distance from prying ears.

“Are you having problems with your memories? Ever since we came here, it’s become more and more difficult to picture people’s faces or recall details that I once knew.”

“I haven’t really thought much about my past life, but that doesn’t mean it’s not happening. You’ve also experienced a lot of new things in the short time we’ve been here, you could just be overwhelmed.”

“Maybe… But I can’t help but feel like I’m losing the person I used to be,” Cassie lamented.

Regardless of whether or not she was truly losing her memories, she was experiencing some extremely difficult identity issues. While Selene was able to transition easily after being reincarnated due to the kind of media she consumed in their old world, Cassie was inundated with things that she never even dreamed about being real.

“I don’t want to dismiss your problem, but the person who you used to be isn’t going to help you in this world. Thinking about what your life was like won’t make you happier or help you adjust to this life. Does thinking about your boyfriends or your family really make you feel better when you know you will never be able to see them again regardless of what you do?”

“You’re just saying that because your life sucked! You may be happy that you died, but I’m not! If you knew that dying would bring you here, you would have ended your miserable existence years ago! I had a life that I loved, now I’m here shooting goblins like it’s totally normal and dealing the most aggravating people!”

“What do you expect me to do about that!? It’s not like I can kill you, even if I tried! If you were to die somehow, you wouldn’t get your old life back just because you want it! If you don’t like being an adventurer or hanging around my friends, no one is stopping you from figuring things out for yourself! You were the one who begged to stay with me, don’t blame me for how things turned out for you. I didn’t kill you and I didn’t ask for you to be reincarnated with me, so don’t yell at me for things that I had no control over!”

“You’re not even happy you’re here, you’re just happy your life isn’t totally meaningless! You’re still a depressed, miserable loser underneath that pretty face that you had to ask God for because you were too ugly to look at!”

That was one step too far for Selene. She had been trying to be patient and understanding of Cassie’s feelings, but she couldn’t handle being told she was worthless. After everything she did to protect Cassie, she couldn’t hold back.

Cassie’s body slammed against the sheer rock, causing the entire cliff to shake. Her body was imbedded in the stone from the force of Selene’s punch, who stared at the injured girl with contempt.

“Why are you wasting your time if you hate me so much? Maybe I am miserable, but at least I’m living in the present to try to be happy someday. You can wallow in your self-pity if you want, but I’m not going to stick around to be your punching bag.”

Before Selene walked away, she healed Cassie’s broken body and pulled her free of the rocks. Cassie collapsed to the ground, still in pain and crying, not caring at all about how she was going to survive and move on.

“What the heck was that,” Rena questioned the moment Selene returned. They had seen what happened but none of them heard what preceded it.

“She’ll live, but she can rot for all I care,” Selene muttered as she stormed past her party.

Rena and Ellie stayed behind, unsure what to do or who to stick with. Lilith, on the other hand, rushed to catch up with Selene.

“What is that human to you,” she inquired, suspecting there was more to their relationship.

“Remember what I told you last night? She and I come from the same world. We worked at the same company, and we died together on our way to a business meeting. She also knows how I used to be, and she can’t help but remind me of how miserable I was and how much she loathed me,” Selene explained as she continued forward.

“Selene, please stop for a moment.”

Selene couldn’t defy a request from the beautiful succubus, no matter how upset she was. She stopped and turned to face Lilith.

“What?”

Lilith didn’t respond as she wiped Selene’s tears from her cheeks. There wasn’t much about human emotions that she understood, but she couldn’t ignore seeing someone who was special to her crying.

“Do not think about the past. She may be miserable, but you do not need to endure that with her.”

“Lilith…” Selene embraced her precious friend, holding onto the only person who was there for her. “Thank you for being so kind to me.”

“You showed me the value of kindness, Selene. As a demon, it is my nature to harm and hate humans. However, I never want harm to come to my Selene.”

“…You really know how to make me smile, Lilith. I’m glad you’re here for me. I really want to get closer to you.”

Lilith stroked her hair in an attempt to calm her. Despite her demonic tendencies, she was able to overcome them for the sake of the woman she wanted to stay with. Humans and demons were natural enemies, a shared distrust was ever present between the groups, yet there was something about Selene that attracted the succubus’ attention.

When she learned of Selene’s true past, it became clear to her why she was different from most humans. She wasn’t raised in a world that vilified demons and was open-minded enough to look past their innate differences. Not once had Selene treated as anything less than an individual and not a representative of an entire race of beings.

“As do I, Selene.”

“Hey, so, are we taking Cassie with us or… Did I interrupt something,” Rena interrupted, her cheek flush with embarrassment.

“She’ll be unconscious for a while. We can take her back but don’t expect her to stick around,” Selene answered, releasing Lilith from her embrace.

“What did she say that made you react that way?”

“That’s between her and I, there’s no need to make a bigger deal out of this than it already is. Have you gathered everything we need here?”

“I think so, there’s a crack in the cliff face but I can’t imagine anyone being able to squeeze in there.”

Selene looked at Lilith and chuckled to herself. “Maybe I’ll find another succubus in there.”

In a flash, Selene was next to the rock wall, investigating the area thoroughly. There was indeed a crack in the stone and there was a definite draft that came from the other side. It would have been a mistake not to check out what was on the other side.

The rocks split open as Selene spread the rock apart. It was almost too easy to slide them open, even with someone with Selene’s strength. Almost as if the stone were once a door in a long-forgotten time.

An endless tunnel greeted Selene on the other side of the semi-door. Unlike Lilith’s tunnel, there was something about this one that felt ominous, as if death incarnate awaited whoever entered. The most glaring sign that this was no ordinary underground passage was the heat that radiated from its depths.

“Selene, please do not enter that tunnel,” Lilith warned her anxiously.

“Do you know what’s down there?”

“No, but I suspect that there is nothing good at the end of that path.”

“…I’m going in. Take the rest of the party and go home. Don’t worry, it’s not like I can die,” Selene assured her with a smile.

“Very well. Make sure you come back to me, Selene.” Lilith embraced Selene in a tight embrace, a final expression of her affection before she entered the unknown.

“Don’t be so worried, I’ll be fine. When I get back, we’ll go on even more fun adventures.”

The moment she entered the cave, the doors slammed shut, without even a crack to provide a modicum of light. Luckily for Selene, her crown had a night vision ability, and she had her Hell Eye ability to assist in seeing enemies from a distance. If she had learned anything from her gaming days, she was about to face a boss.

The tunnel seemed to go on forever as she went deeper and deeper into the ground. Unlike the tunnel to reach Lilith, there were no traps or obstacles to slow her progress. The only thing that was present was the sound of her footsteps on the stone floor. A maddening clomping and dragging that was impossible to escape.

The further she journeyed into the depths, the warmer the air became, a stark juxtaposition to what a cave would feel like. Despite not having a firm idea of what existed at the end of the path, she had a suspicion of what it would be composed of in some way.

After a few hours of endless walking, Selene came to a stop and sat down. She wasn’t fatigued, nor was she particularly tired, she was just painfully bored. The worst quests in her games were the ones that required patience and repetition of mundane tasks. Walking through a lifeless cave with nothing to see but rock was more than just mundane, it was devoid of anything that resembled fun.

Just as she laid her head back against the stone wall, a deafening screech shook the passage. The sound was unlike anything Selene had ever heard; it was like a strange mixture of an elk’s wail and a lion’s roar. No matter what it sounded like, it was enough to send chills down her spine. Immortal or not, she still had a fight or flight instinct that was yelling at her to run. However, she couldn’t turn back; otherwise, she would have walked for hours for no reason.

She pushed herself to her feet and continued forward, undeterred by the obvious sign of danger ahead. After another hour of walking, Selene noticed a trickle of light ahead of her. Overcome with impatience and excitement, she rushed forward and immediately froze at the sight she beheld.

The tunnel led to an enormous underground city that was only lit by the red glow of magma and fire that snaked around the structures. The lives of the people that once resided there must have been arduous and depressing. However, even with a cursory scan of the area, it was abundantly clear that no one had lived there for years. The reason for that was clear and took up all of Selene’s attention.

An enormous dragon with pitch black scales that seemed to be releasing black smoke continuously. Its eyes were the only part of it that wasn’t black, but the piecing red eyes didn’t make the beast any less menacing. A pair of large horns protruded from its head, only adding to the already intimidating appearance of the dragon. Large claws dug into the stone palace it was perched on as if they were demonstrating how strong they were.

The beast stood up and spread its wings, which seemed to take up half the diameter of the large cavern. An ear-piercing screech rang out, amplified by the echo that was created from making such a sound in a stone cave. Large blasts shot out of the magma rivers, as if it were answering the dragon’s call.

The dragon pushed off the palace, making it crumble from the impact, and flew across the cavern. Selene was enraptured by the sight of the magnificent creature. The size and power that it possessed was incredible, surely it had the ability to bring destruction to a city of the size of Norvaria in mere seconds. Unfortunately for the gawking adventurer, the only target in its sight was her.

The great beast landed just a few meters in front of her, shaking the entire cavern and causing stalactites to crash to the ground. Heat radiated from its body that made it almost unbearable to even be near it and the smoke it created made it absolutely miserable to be in close proximity.

“…Damn.”

Before she could think of what to do first, the dragon shot a stream of fire from its mouth, engulfing her in flames. Selene used an ice spell to put out the flames, but she didn’t have time to avoid the powerful swipe from its front leg. The power of the dragon’s kick sent her flying, crashing into a stone house, causing the building to collapse onto her.

“Ow! Even though I’m immortal, that really hurt! Alright, it’s time to get serious! Let’s do this dragon!”

Selene drew her sword and activated her Shadow Step ability to teleport her behind it. She used Power Attack as she slashed the dragon’s hind leg. The sword sliced through hard scales and thick muscles, causing it to let out a screech of pain.

It attempted to swat her away with a sweep of its tail, but Selene avoided it by jumping and landing on its back. Her glowing longsword dug deep into the flesh of the dragon as she slammed it into its back. In an attempt to take the beast by surprise, Selene teleported in front of it and sliced its neck while it was still looking at its injured backside.

The dragon reacted swiftly and powerfully, turning and biting the arm of the confident Selene. Her free arm was crushed by the powerful jaw, but she was somehow able to get off her Glacier ability, freezing the beast from the inside. With one big pull, she freed her arm and went for the killing blow by chopping at the head of the frozen beast.

Instead of it dying, it melted the frost and pushed off the ground and flew away in an attempt to take the advantage back. Selene acted quickly, teleporting onto its upper back. She dug her blade into the shoulder of the beast, twisting it to cause it more pain so it would hopefully land.

Suddenly, the beast turned upside down and Selene began to hurdle towards a river of magma. In a desperate attempt to salvage the upper hand after the unexpected turn of events, she used her Telekinesis and landed on the rubble of a destroyed home. Continuing to use her special magic, she ran progressively higher into the air using stone as makeshift stairs.

This is a lot more difficult than I thought it would be, she thought to herself. What will it take to kill this thing?

Just as she got to the highest point, the dragon flew underneath her. She dropped down in an attempt to catch it midair. Instead of landing on its back, though, she managed to barely grab onto its tail.

Taking advantage of the opportunity, Selene pulled down hard on the tail. Her strength was unmatched and thus sent the dragon hurdling to the ground. The impact of the beast was so great that buildings collapsed, and magma splashed high into the air, overflowing onto rocks that were once free from the destructive substance.

Selene jumped onto the neck of the now dazed beast and stabbed directly into its brain, followed by her cutting the neck in front of her. The dragon’s head fell, thoroughly decapitated by the incredible strength of Selene.

“Phew, that was tough,” she said to herself as she took a step back to observe her handiwork. “I wonder why a dragon was underground in the first place.”

“Because it was my pet,” a threatening voice rumbled from behind Selene.

She slowly turned to see what kind of being would have a dragon as a pet. The voice belonged to some kind of demon that towered over her. He was clad in a full set of black plate armor, just like the kind she had seen villains in movies wore. A helmet covered his face, leaving only a slit that exposed the flames what were in place of his eyes. A pair of curved horns jutted out from the sides of his head and a dragon-like tail hung behind him. The joints of his armor glowed a bright orange, exposing that the being beneath it was composed of fire. The sword he held had a jagged metal handle, but the blade was pure flames.

“Who are you,” Selene asked in an attempt to keep her composure.

“You ask my name after you slaughter my pet? The gall.”

The fiery demon grabbed her by the neck and held her up to his face. “I am the bane of humanity, lord of dragons, and the one who will end your pathetic existence, human.”

Selene tried desperately to break his grip, but she couldn’t seem to pry his fingers no matter how strong she was.

“You may think yourself immortal, but you will feel pain until wish for death.”

The demon tossed Selene into the magna river and stabbed her in the heart. She couldn’t escape the inferno no matter what she tried, and she got the feeling that the pain had only just begun.

14