Reunion with Chrysanthemums
38 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the cool breeze rustled through the colorful foliage of the autumn trees, a young man made his way through the winding paths of the cemetery, his footsteps softened by the fallen leaves beneath his feet. With a solemn expression, he approached a grave marked by a simple stone adorned with the name of the deceased.

'It has been six years since you died...' he thought.

Dressed in a dark grey suit, impeccably tailored, he exuded a sense of quiet dignity. Over his suit, he wore a black wool coat, its high collar providing some protection against the crisp autumn air. A dark scarf was wrapped snugly around his neck. Upon reaching the grave, he knelt down, bowing his head in a silent prayer of remembrance. In his hands, he held a small bouquet of white chrysanthemums, their delicate petals a stark contrast against the vibrant hues of the surrounding foliage. With gentle reverence, he placed the flowers before the headstone, arranging them carefully as a token of his enduring affection.

'I still remember everything like it was yesterday. I don't know if I should wish that you were still here or... be glad you aren't. I'm conflicted like I was years ago.'

"Maybe your early death was for the best," the young man mumbled as he rose to his feet, his expression softened by a bittersweet smile. With one last glance at the grave, he bowed once more. Then, with a sense of closure and peace in his heart, he turned to leave, his steps slow and measured as he made his way back through the quiet cemetery, his hands stuffed into his coat pockets. As he walked, his gaze caught a glimpse of something, his pace quickening when he caught sight of a familiar figure among the shadows cast by the tall trees. He hurried until he reached a clearing where stood a beautiful young woman.

With elegant grace, she stood in the shade cast by a large tree, her skin pale, her eyes piercing, her mouth set in a thin line as she looked out over the landscape, her slender fingers idly twirling a strand of long hair. She didn’t notice him approaching but continued to look out at the world around her, occasionally flicking her bangs away from her face as the wind blew.

The young man stopped dead in his tracks, his body frozen, his eyes widened, his breath coming out in short gasps. His chest tightened so painfully that tears threatened to spill over his cheeks. His mind reeled with memories of the past; she was someone he thought he would never see again, and here he was standing just a few feet away from her.

The young woman turned suddenly, her expression morphing into one of shock as she noticed his presence. But as soon as she recognized him, she immediately smiled, her lips curving upwards into a bright beam. Her gaze shifted to him, and he could feel the warmth radiating off her. She seemed so alive, so real.

“It can’t be,” his voice wavered, the surprised expression turning into a sorrowful smile as he took a step towards her. “After all these years…”

“Indeed, it has been a while,” she replied softly. “But the time has passed quickly. You have grown up to be so handsome, you haven’t changed at all.” Then her smile grew softer. There was sadness in her eyes, however, as she gazed up at him and said, “It is good to see you again.”

He opened his mouth to reply, but no words came to him, not even a whisper. His eyes burned as he felt a lump form in his throat. Finally, with great effort, he managed to croak, “You - you are really here.” Then, unable to hold back any longer, tears welled in his eyes, streaming down his cheeks. The tears spilled uncontrollably as he choked out a sob, unable to control himself and unable to keep looking at her without bursting into tears.

0