06 What is she doing?
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Calix felt that the beginning of dinner was rather entertaining. Especially when he saw the face Lia made when she tried the bite of boiled yellow beets. It was clear she did not like them, but she seemed to try to continue eating them.

He quickly noted that look and planned on letting the cooks know not to prepare that vegetable in the future.

There was a brief moment he considered leaving it in their meals. All so he could see her give some reaction other than that blank expression she seemed to be wearing.

Calix decided to add other things to her plate to try. Once more, she was completely fascinating to him. She was eating everything. At first, he thought that she was really hungry, but the more she ate, the more he realized that something was not quite right.

She almost looked pained as she was eating.

Like she was forcing herself to eat.

What is she doing?

Calix tried to think it over in his head.

Is she eating because I put the food there?

Immediately, Calix felt bad. He quickly told her that she only needed to try the other food. Watching her as she stopped, he had the feeling that he was right on the mark.

Then she threw him for another loop when she mentioned their sleeping arrangements. He had intended to be a gentleman and provide her with her own space.

Lia seemed to want things to move a bit faster than he did.

Does she know what she’s even suggesting?

He tried to sort it out in his head if she really did understand the meaning of spouses sharing a room. Of a man and woman spending the night together.

Somehow, he managed to speak but his mind had already gone back to that sight of her partially opened lips. Heat pooled in his stomach as he tried to keep his voice as calm as possible. Lia, for her part, did not really show any hint of being bothered. Once more, it was like she was just discussing the weather.

It was only after she had left the dining room that he put his face in his hands. His stoic façade broke and his ears felt hot.

“Your Grace?” Methos spoke behind him. Calix swore he could hear the laugh in the man’s voice. “Is everything okay?”

“Fine. Fine.” Calix said with a grumble. “I’m perfectly fine.”

“And her Highness?” Methos continued. His tone had become completely respectful.

“She…” Calix paused before motioning to a few dishes on the table. “Inform the cooks, don’t include those in the future.”

“Understood.”

Calix paused as he looked at the spot where she had been sitting before rubbing his hand through his hair. He really had no idea why he was reacting this way to her. He became completely wrapped up in her from the moment she stepped out of the carriage.

Everything was moving so fast that he felt like he was losing his mind.

“What of her maids?” Methos spoke.

“Her maids?” Calix asked.

He glanced over at Methos. Calix simply had no idea what his butler was talking about. He knew that ladies had maids and there was a head maid, and that was about as far as his understanding of maids went.

“Did she not come from Roam with personal maids?” Methos sounded genuinely confused. “Or shall I assign ones to her?”

“She came with one.” Calix thought about the carriage and recalled that other occupant. The one who he left behind when the carriage broke. “Assign at least one other for now. Let her decide if she wants any additional ones.”

He paused as he thought of Lia. Physically, she was very delicate. That much he was well aware of. He was still trying to sort out her personality. That boldness from earlier had seemingly fled in front of the strange shyness she depicted during dinner.

“Someone gentle.” He added. Calix did not know any of the maids well enough to gauge who would be the best, but he imagined Methos would understand his request for someone gentle.

“As you order.” Methos said with a nod.

Calix remained sitting there. Continuing to puzzle over the meal he had shared with her. Every little thing played over again and again in his mind.

“Methos… did you notice anything strange?” Calix finally asked. He felt a strange sense of apprehension, but he knew he had to ask. There was the possibility that it was just him who was over thinking things. “I mean, with her.”

“With the Grand Duchess?” Methos responded. “Yes, but I would imagine she is trying to adjust to being somewhere new. She had come from Roam with the expectation of marrying the King and was now thrown to you, Your Grace.”

“You make it sound like that’s a bad thing.”

“Not necessarily a bad thing.” Methos said before he covered up a laugh with his hand. “However, I believe you should give her some time.”

“Time?” Calix began to think it over.

He realized that it was highly possible she did not know what he had been thinking earlier when she asked to be in his room. Hell, he did not know if she was even okay with being his wife.

She may have agreed to call him husband, but she had reacted with such indifference. That look of distaste over the vegetables had been the first time he had seen her showcase any real emotion since they arrived in Soce.

“I think you’re right.” Calix nodded in response.

He glanced over at Methos and found another reason to be glad the butler was here. The man had been responsible for helping him adjust to the title of Grand Duke. Now it seemed he was going to help him again. Just this time, it was figuring out how to help Lia adjust to being the Grand Duchess.

“If there is nothing else, Your Grace, there is still the paperwork that has piled up in your absence.”

And then Methos reminded Calix how not thankful he was at times.

“Very well.” Calix said. Waving to Methos as he got to his feet.

Calix knew the manor inside and out. His personal study was next to his room on the second floor. As he walked closer to his room, his heartbeat began to get a little faster.

He could not help but wonder what Lia was up to at that moment.

Was she asleep?

He resisted the urge to check. Merely continuing on to his study. He entered and immediately saw the mountain of paperwork. He sighed in resignation as he sat down and began his work. Despite the papers being already neatly arranged, it still took time to finish.

The half-spent candle was used to light the way back to his main room.

There were no servants milling about at this hour, but he knew he had carefully placed his guards throughout the manor. It had been a habit since his days as a mercenary. Always have everything guarded.

Another thing that he pushed to the back of his mind when he entered the room and saw the empty bed. The blankets were all messed up, but there was no sign of the little princess.

Panic welled up inside him as he saw the flower petals scattered everywhere. To Calix, it looked like a flower bouquet had exploded. It seemed like someone had trampled some petals underfoot. He followed the path of the broken flowers.

Relief flooded in when he found her sitting on the couch by the window. That feeling suddenly had him questioning his reasoning further as he stared at her.

She was curled up with her head resting on the ledge. A thin blanket had fallen from her body and the thin nightgown had slid down to reveal a pale pink shoulder. His mind exploded into a billion thoughts, all because of that single glance of skin.

He shook his head and tried to think pure thoughts, but he could only think of how this was the second time he had encountered her sleeping. He wondered if she had sat there and waited for him.

I need to give her time.

He repeated that thought to himself as he discarded his slippers and quietly walked to where she was. Calix gently scooped her up in his arms, pulling that blanket around her more firmly. Covering her up made it easier for him to think clearly.

Even though he felt his abdomen tighten when she snuggled into his chest.

“Y…your Grace?” She mumbled, still clearly half asleep.

“Shhh.” He whispered softly into her hair. “Go back to sleep.”

“Mmm…kay….”

Calix stifled his laughter before carrying her to the bed. He gently settled her into the bed, pulling the rest of the blankets over her. He turned away and headed for the bathroom, leaving her to continue sleeping.

He was not at all surprised to discover the fresh bathwater and he was glad that it had gone cold.

The brisk water was enough to return his mind back to normal thoughts.

Calix dressed himself in a simple robe when he finished and returned to the bedroom. He halted at the doorway when he heard the strangest sounds from the bed. It was almost like that of a pained animal.

A frown blossomed on his face as he strode over quickly.

Lia’s body had become twisted on the bed. Her hands clutching the blanket tight in a knuckle-white grip. Little beads of sweat had broken out on her forehead. The sound was the barest little whimpering, and it was coming from her.

Calix’s face darkened as he pulled her into his arms. He had no idea what was troubling her dreams. He was definitely certain that he did not like it.

“Lia…?” He called softly as he tried to comfort her.

Only for him to feel resistance as she tried to push him away.

“N… no!”

The tone of her voice startled him. It was full of fear. Bone clenching terror. A tone that a spoiled princess should never make.

“It’s me!” He said loudly, trying to draw her attention out of whatever nightmare she was having. “It’s Calix!”

Her eyes snapped open with nothing but panic in them. Lia’s breath became ragged sobs. Her whole body had tensed up. It was as if she was preparing to leap out of the bed and run away from him.

“Shh, you’re okay.” Calix held her loosely.

“W…where am I?” She asked between gasping breaths.

“You’re in my manor.” He answered.

“Your manor?” The panic fled her eyes, but confusion replaced it. Her hands were suddenly clenching on his robe as if she was afraid she was still dreaming.

“In the Soce capital.” Calix answered her once more. One hand began to stroke her still damp hair. “Remember, you arrived today from Roam.”

“From Roam…”

“Yes, from Roam.” Calix continued as he tried to wrack his brains to figure out what he should say to her. “We went to the palace and then to the manor. We had dinner, you asked to be in my room. That’s where you are now. In my bed.”

“Your bed?”

“Our bed.” He corrected himself.

“Oh…” Her whole body seemed to sag in relief, but her hands never let go of the robe. “Don’t go.”

She whispered the last part.

“Where would I go?” He responded, but she gave no answer back to him.

Lia had begun to make soft little noises. Calix stared down at her in amazement. She was already sound asleep again. He shook his head before trying to settle her down on the bed. Lia, for her part, just continued to cling to his robe like it was some manner of lifeline.

Calix sat there, holding her, and wondering exactly what kind of nightmare she had to make her react so badly.

And why had she only done it when he came back from taking a bath?

Those thoughts kept him up for the rest of the night.

0