Chapter 4
75 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"The old woman extends her hand, which has a ring on it, towards the wolf's corpse, and the body disappears, I suppose something similar to my inventory.

After watching her stash the wolf's body, I open my inventory and stow the knife.
I look at the old woman only to see myself looking at my hand with wide eyes before putting on the same smile and saying,
"Well then, we better start walking, or we'll have to deal with more wolves."

Then she makes a gesture with her hand to indicate the way, and we start walking.

"And tell me, young lady, what's your name?"

"My name is Lycara, and yours, ma'am?"

"Oh, where are my manners? My name is Aurelia, dear. And tell me, what are you doing alone in the Eldrenthorn forest?"

It seems like this forest is called Eldrenthorn.

"I went out for a walk, but I got lost."

Aurelia looks at me for a few seconds before smiling and letting out a small laugh, saying.

"And I suppose, in the end, you did get lost, didn't you?"

"I... yes, I got lost."

And after a moment of silence, I add.

"Why do you live alone in the forest?"

The old woman walking ahead of me didn't bother to turn to respond.

"Well... let's just say I've had several bad experiences with people in the past, so I preferred to live alone in the forest."

"Oh, then I'm sorry for bothering you."

"Don't worry, dear, anyway, it's fun to have visitors from time to time."

Out of curiosity, I use analysis on her:

{
Blood Witch Level 42
}

Now I know why she could kill that wolf so easily

...

We walked for several minutes, mostly in silence except for some occasional questions that I tried to answer as best as possible.We arrived at a cabin in the middle of the forest, which was larger than I had thought.

Aurelia walked towards the door, which she opened, and with a gesture of her hand, she invited me to enter, which I did. The first thing I saw upon entering was a kitchen with a table and four chairs, a clay oven, and something strangely resembling a stove.

"Take a seat, I'll prepare something for dinner."

Aurelia said as she walked towards a cabinet next to the stove and took out some kind of pot. I sat down in one of the chairs at the table and looked around the rest of the cabin. I looked to the left and saw a living room with a desk and several shelves full of books, presumably some kind of study. Maybe I could ask to borrow a book to learn more about this world, although upon reflection, I'm not sure if I can read the language of this world... Wait a second, how can I communicate with Aurelia? Does this world and mine speak the same language? Or perhaps when the goddess summoned me, she put the language of this world into my head. After all, if she could erase my memories, why couldn't she put others in my head? I realize that I'm clenching my fist at this last thought.

Calm down, Lycara, it's not the time to think about that. First, I need to learn more about my situation.

I continue looking to the right where I see a closed door, perhaps Aurelia's room, and upon noticing that there doesn't seem to be anything else in the cabin, I turn my gaze back to the old woman, who at some point took out some vegetables and meat that she is now cutting on a board.

Aurelia continued cooking without saying a word, and I didn't have any conversation topics either, so we both waited for the food to be ready, and after a few minutes, the meal was ready.

"Here's your plate, dear," she said as she placed a plate of something that looked like meat stew with vegetables in front of me. Some of the vegetables resembled those from Earth, like a red-colored carrot, but others I couldn't identify.

"Sorry for the simplicity of the dish, but I wasn't expecting visitors today, and I need to get more ingredients," she said with an apologetic smile on her face, to which I responded. "

"No need to apologize, you've already helped me enough for me to ask for more."

"How kind you are, dear," she replied with a slight smile.

"Enjoy your meal, dear."

"Likewise, ma'am."

And with that, we both began to eat. The stew tasted much better than it looked, but I started to feel tired.

"Are you feeling okay, dear?"

I began to struggle to keep my eyes open.

"Y-Yes, I'm just a bit sleepy."

My vision started to darken.

"Well then, goodnight, dear."

The last thing I saw before my vision turned completely black was Aurelia's smile.

 

...

 

"Uh... where am I?"

I woke up in a room I didn't recognize, with a wooden ceiling and dimly lit stone walls. When I tried to move, I realized my hands and legs were tied.

"Why am I tied up? And naked."

I added the last sentence after looking at my body and realizing I wasn't wearing anything.

"Oh, so you're awake now, dear."

I heard a voice behind me, along with the sound of something hitting the floor. I looked back only to see Aurelia.

"Aurelia, w-what is this?" I asked with panic in my voice, to which a sinister smile formed on the old woman's face.

"Oh, dear... today isn't your lucky day," she said as she walked away from the wolf's body and approached a table on the wall, where she picked something up.

"You know, I usually gag my sacrifices, but today I'm in a good mood, so I'll answer your questions," she replied as she dropped the candles she had taken from the table onto the floor.

"S-Sacrifice?"

"That's right, dear, a sacrifice to increase my life. It's nothing personal, but I've aged too much for my liking. However, I can't go near a village to find more sacrifices because of those damned adventurers."

She said the last part with noticeable hatred in her voice.

"Increase your life?" I asked with fear and curiosity in my voice.

"Ah, that's right. Otherworlds don't have magic in them, so you wouldn't know about this type of ritual. But by using the life energy of other people, I can not only rejuvenate myself but also extend my lifespan. Believe it or not, I'm over two hundred and fifty years old."

Her age genuinely surprised me, but I was even more surprised that she knew I was from another world.

"H-How did you know?"

She continued placing the candles.

"What, that you're from another world? Well, it was quite simple, really. First, no one goes for a stroll in the Eldrenthorn forest. It's too easy to encounter monsters, even in this relatively safe area. You only encountered a few monsters because I've been hunting them for this ritual over the past few days. Second, the spell you used—or I believe it's an ability, inventory, right? Unless you're a high-level spatial mage, which you don't seem to be, you couldn't use a spell like pocket dimension. And third, your lack of knowledge even in the simplest things is noticeable."

She responded as she finished placing the candles and began placing monster bodies like wolves and some squirrels around me.

"So why use me and not a monster?"

"For vitality conversion."

"The what?"

She sighed at my question and answered, "Vitality conversion, dear. While it's true that all living species possess vitality, it differs from one another, like that of a monster to that of a human. Both have vitality, but they're too different to simply transfer from one body to another without negative reactions. So, it needs to be converted, let's say, from monster vitality to human vitality. But as a consequence, a lot of vitality is lost in the process, at least with the rituals I know. I know there are some rituals that allow you to not waste any vitality, but they are difficult to learn or even acquire," she said with a disgruntled look on her face.

"So, my original plan to solve this problem was to use a large number of monsters for it, but even that would only give me about ten years at most. But then I found you."

She stopped placing monster bodies around me and turned to look at me.

"But then you appeared, not just a young weak girl alone in this forest, but with enough vitality to give me another seventy years of life. Like I said, dear, it's not personal, but my life is more important than yours."

I didn't respond to the last part, partly because I had no response, partly because I was terrified, and partly because I was thinking about how to escape.

First, I needed to untie my hands, but the rope was too tough to break with just strength, and I couldn't take my knife out of my inventory because she would notice the portal. I needed something sharp, something like... claws!

Then I remembered my only special ability so far. Alright, so how do I use it? Resisting the urge to look back, I remembered the wolf's body. Alright, so it all depends on whether I can use the ability without touching the body.

I tried to use it like when I use analysis, but focusing on the wolf's body. Then I felt it, a kind of connection between the wolf's corpse and me. I could feel the wolf's body, but only superficially, like its skin, fur, eyes, fangs, ears, and what interested me, its claws.

I focused on the claws, and I felt like I could take them, in a more metaphorical sense than literal. After taking them, I focused on my own body in the same way. I could only feel the external part of my body, but that was enough.

Then when I wanted to use the claws on my body, it was as if my own image appeared in front of me, which seemed to be visible only to me because the old woman was still talking, although I wasn't paying attention to her anymore.

So in the projection, I put the claws on top of the fingers of my hands, and I felt two things. First, something inside me was depleted, which following the description of my ability, I assumed was mana. And second, I felt as if my fingers fell asleep, and after about 5 seconds, the sensation disappeared, although my fingers felt strange. It's not that the idea of changing myself was not daunting fingers into claws, I guess, but I prefer this to becoming a sacrifice for the old witch."

{

Biomancer leveled up to level 2

}

Ignore the notification or whatever, I thought, and began cutting the rope without making any sudden movements, and to my relief, it worked.

"Well, I've wasted enough time," she said as she walked towards the table and picked something up, while I continued cutting.

"Like I said, I'm in a good mood today, so I'll end your suffering quickly," she said as she approached me and lifted what she had taken from the table, which turned out to be some kind of ceremonial knife, but I had already finished cutting the rope.

"So goodbye, Lycara," she said with a macabre smile on her face as she approached.

"And thank you for your sacr- hee," she couldn't finish speaking when my claws pierced through her throat.

She had a look of disbelief on her face that quickly transformed into one of anger and pain.

"Eh-eh I-I eh " she tried to say something, but all that came out of her mouth were unintelligible sounds and blood.

And with one last look of hatred directed towards me, she fell back, dead.

 

4