Chapter 8
92 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I stood staring at the door for a few seconds before realizing I needed to get out of here, remembering what Aurelia said about how good an otherworld would be, and recalling how the introduction mentioned that some empires summoned people just to have descendants with them, and not wanting to be used as a breeding animal or something even worse, I stood up and walked towards the door. I tried to open the door but it was locked. I looked at the handle and noticed that there was nothing to put a key in. While contemplating what to do, the other door opened and in walked a tall man, and when I say tall I mean a guy about two meters (6 feet) tall. He had a chest plate armor, shoulder pads holding a cloak that seemed to be made of fur from some furry animal, a leather belt holding the sheath of a sword with the sword in the sheath, black pants with steel kneepads, and brown boots. But by far the most distinctive thing about him was the scar on his face that started at his left eyebrow, went through his eye which seemed blind, and ended below his lower lip. His face looked like someone in their forties, with a square jaw, and some gray hair on the sides of his head.

"Hello otherworld, I am... wait, there's no need to get violent," he started to introduce himself, but I interrupted him when I pulled out my knife and pointed it at him. "Don't take another step!" I tried to sound confident but the tremor in my hands gave me away.

"Look, I understand you're in a confusing situation, but-"

"I said, DON'T TAKE ANOTHER STEP!" I shouted forcefully. He fell silent as he seemed to ponder what to do, and I just realized that the receptionist was behind him, looking at us with wide eyes.

A few tense seconds passed in silence until the receptionist spoke. "Otherworlders have the ability to analyze, right?" she said calmly. I looked at her and then nodded hesitantly.

"Then please use it on the sphere that's on the table," she said with the same tone and a calm face. At this point, the man seemed more focused on her than on me. With some doubts, I did as she asked.

{

Orb of Truth
Quality: Unusual
A mana stone with enchantments capable of perceiving whether the people around it are telling the truth or lying. If they lie, the sphere glows red; if they tell the truth, it glows green.

}

The receptionist approached the table and said, "We understand that you're in a confusing and terrifying situation, but we don't want to harm you," as she sat down in one of the chairs at the table, and the sphere glowed green. "So please, let's talk," she said with her calm face and a small smile on her lips.

I looked at the woman for several moments without knowing what to do. I doubted that the information shown by analysis was false. When she asked if I was an otherworlder and I said no, it glowed red. Even though I threatened them with a knife, they did nothing to harm me, and this man could clearly defeat me before I could do anything. But Aurelia seemed like a friendly old woman before trying to sacrifice me. Sigh But I admit I don't have many options. I have too many questions and no answers, so reluctantly, I sat down in front of the receptionist.

The man, who seemed shocked by the entire conversation, snapped out of his stupor after I sat down and took a seat next to the receptionist. The man spoke, "I'll reintroduce myself. My name is Barka, and I am the guildmaster of Erestwood. And she is Mia, the chief receptionist of the guild and my daughter," he said, pointing to Mia. He didn't continue speaking, so I suppose it's my turn to introduce myself.

"My name is Lycara."

"Well, then, I believe it's best to start by discussing some things about the guild. The Adventurer's Guild was founded by an otherworlder thousands of years ago. It's a completely neutral organization that operates in all countries of Eldoria. We're responsible for managing, issuing, and fulfilling missions, which can range from finding a lost cat to slaying a dragon."

"Was it really founded by an otherworlder?" I asked, genuinely surprised.

"Yes, as the story goes, after reaching S-rank, the founder decided to create a large organization where adventurers of that time could find out about monsters to hunt. It's said that adventurers of old only hunted monsters for money. Over time, more types of missions were created, such as gathering, escorting, searching, etc. And while it might seem that the guild was founded solely to kill monsters, it's not entirely true. It was also founded to help otherworlders, although over time, our duties have expanded."

The sphere glowed green throughout the conversation.

"When a person joins to work under the guild, we are obliged to sign something called a soul contract where we are asked to follow certain rules, including providing basic information and training to an otherworlder whom we consider does not have access to this, apart from keeping the fact that they are an otherworlder secret if they so wish."

"Yes, I prefer that not more people know."

"Believe me, it's for the best."

It seemed that both Barka and I didn't know what else to say, so we fell silent, a silence broken by Mia.

"By the way, how long has it been since you were summoned?"

"I woke up in a clearing in the forest yesterday afternoon."

"Did you sleep alone in the forest?"

"No, I slept in a cabin."

Mia looked at me strangely and said, "A cabin, whose?"

I remained silent before responding, "Do you know a woman named Aurelia with the blood witch class?"

They both looked at each other without saying anything. Then Barka looked at me and said, "Yes, she's one of the most wanted people in the region. Do you know her?"

I became a little nervous and said with some doubt, "Y-yes, I met her in the forest..." And then I told them how she took me to her cabin, drugged me, tried to kill me, and how I killed her.

They both looked at me in silence before Barka spoke up. "... Would you mind showing us her body?"

I stood up from my seat and retrieved the body from the ring, placing it on the floor. Nobody spoke as we looked at the body until Mia stood up and spoke.

"Excuse me for a moment," she said seriously before leaving the room. Barka and I waited silently for her to return. She had a smaller purple orb in her hand as she re-entered the room.

She approached Aurelia's body, and the orb began to flicker until it glowed more brightly.

"It truly is the body of the Sacrifice Witch," Mia said after the orb stopped glowing, sounding surprised.

"The Sacrifice Witch?" I don't recall the system showing me that title.

"Yes, a woman who has been kidnapping and murdering people for over 150 years on the border of the kingdom that connects to the forest. Her rank wasn't very high, only E-, but she was very elusive and methodical. No one could capture her, at least until now," Barka replied.

Wow... over 150 years.

"For that reason, she has a large bounty compared to her level: 10 gold coins and 500 silver coins," Mia added.

"That's a lot, I suppose?"

"Quite a bit. You could live in this village for several years without worrying about money."

"...I see," I said, not entirely sure how true that was.

"You don't know how money works here, do you?" Barka asked, to which I shook my head.

"Well, for example, a typical meal at a middle-class inn would cost 3 coppers. One silver coin is equivalent to 100 coppers, and one gold coin is 1000 silver coins. The reward for someone at the level of the witch would typically only be around 50 silver coins. But due to the time she's spent committing these crimes, the fact that nobody caught her, and that she kidnapped the son of a rather wealthy merchant and stole all his goods, her bounty ended up being ridiculously high for her level."

Now I understand how money works in this world. Suddenly, a thought crossed my mind.

"By any chance, were the goods you mentioned skill books?"

"As a matter of fact, they were. Why do you ask?"

"I found several skill books in the cabin. Should I return them?"

"If you consider yourself a good person, someone with money to spare, or if you want the favor of a merchant who has been dead for over 10 years, then yes, return them. Otherwise, my advice is to use them or sell them," Barka said with a chuckle.

"Isn't there a law that requires me to return them?" I asked.

"No, there isn't. Unless you're given a mission where you're tasked with recovering something, or the person who lost it wants it back and can force you to return it, then you can keep it. That's how things are settled with goods stolen by bandits or in this case, the Sacrifice Witch," the guildmaster said in a casual tone.

"...I see."

"By the way," Mia interrupted, "do you still want to register with the guild?"

"I suppose so."

"Great!" she said with a smile on her face. "Then I need to ask you some questions," she continued as she picked up the clipboard again.

...

She asked me several questions, many of which I couldn't answer, such as where I'm from. But thanks to my status as an otherworlder, I didn't have to answer them. Everything was going well until she asked about my class.

"How many classes do you have, and what are they?" she inquired.

"I only have one, and it's Biomancer."

Mia looked at me with wide eyes, and Barka simply nodded his head as if confirming something.

"W-what's wrong?" I asked.

"The Biomancer class is... unique," Barka began. "While I don't know all the details, otherworlders are summoned with a book that explains the classes, right?" he asked, to which I nodded.

"Then you'll know that you can only have a limited number of abilities and that you can only learn abilities within the concepts of your class. Usually, that's how it is for all classes, with a few exceptions. And among those classes, the pinnacle is Biomancer, with the ability to take organs, skin, and bones from monsters to add them to the Biomancer's body or someone else's. Literally, you can ignore one of the basic laws of the system."

"Although it comes at a cost," Mia added with a concerned look.

"Losing sanity, right?" I said.

"Yes, but as an otherworlder, you have a unique ability that fixes that, don't you?" Barka said with a confident yet somewhat annoyed expression.

I was about to respond, but he interrupted me. "A piece of advice from me: NEVER! Say that you have a unique ability," he said seriously, to which I could only nod in agreement.

Mia, who was looking at her father with a look I couldn't quite read, sighed and turned to me before continuing. "Well, let's continue with the questions. Do you know which god or goddess summoned you here?"

"Yes, it was the goddess Vitalia."

Barka stood up from his seat, pushing it back, and exclaimed, "WHAT?!"

5