Genre Analysis- Horror (Requested by Nimu)
2 3 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I know it's pretty scummy of me to not even try reviewing some content to figure out how to write this blog but I'm dealing with newbies to writing like Nimu here. Even if Nimu DID request this, I'm going to keep this simple and easy to understand.

Why would I do that? Well, I'm pretty sure that even if I bring up tropes like the 'Uncanny Valley', no one will actually understand what I'm talking about and would only nod their heads like chickens because I said some big words or something like that...

That's why I'm choosing to keep this real. Now, let's start off with: How do does horror be 'scary'?

In movies, showing images that either poke at our emotions of unease or disgust is one way to go, or just throw a bunch of jump scares and call it a horror movie... Director's choice. Similarly, you are also the 'director' of any 'horror story' you choose to write.

Most horror writers have the wrong assumption when they think about writing 'horror'. They become trapped in unease themselves because 'fear' stops them from writing. Well, if you really DO feel that way, then just channel that into your horror story.

And no, I'm not playing with ya.

There's a reason horror's start off in a simple premise with easy-to-understand people, after all.

Have you never experienced a horrifying event or nightmare before? Fine, I'll give you an example.

There was a time when I was a kid that I suddenly started looking for my older brother who went out of the room that afternoon. As a kid, darkness made me feel uneasy, so I didn't like the feeling of going into the kitchen in the other room which was pitch-black at the time. And that's when it happened!

The older brother I was looking for jumped out of the darkness and scared the life out of me...

Now, from that short memory. What have we found that made this memory so impressionable?

The answer is that there was a 'sudden set-up' of unease before the jump scare, making it scary.

If my brother had jumped in front of me at any other time, I would only be mildly surprised. However, the transition between 'set-up' and 'payoff' made it more worthwhile. This is what you must remember.

Remember, before setting up a scary scene in a horror story, you yourself must first evaluate how much 'set-up' you are willing to make for the end payoff and if that payoff is even worth it.

The reason I got scared by my brother was because of the 'suddenness' of the event. If I had time to properly analyse the situation and realise that my brother was playing a prank, the effect of him jumping out of the darkness wouldn't surprise me.

Likewise, if there was fast or literally no set-up and the payoff was that an brain-like alien actually existed in my kitchen. I would be scared, I would be struck dumb because my suspension of disbelief would be broken. I wouldn't even know how to internalise that event if it actually happened. The only thing I would do is stare at the thing blankly.

Blankness is not fear, it's just your brain not being able to comprehend what you're seeing.

If there is less set-up to big events, the payoff would be low. This is the same for ten chapters of set-up just to reveal someone doing a prank. You yourself must balance 'set-up' with the intended 'payoff'.

However, that's not to say scary story's need surprising moments where something or someone jumps out from the dark. Even that show called 'Goosebumps' knew the best way to scare someone is to manipulate the emotions of a reader.

When something good is happening but there is subtly a small scene of watching the main character through the window, the reader's heart is gripped tightly. If THEY don't want anything to happen to your relatable and kind character, then they will feel unease even if your character is clueless.

Then when the payoff happens, the reader will be assaulted with a sense of grief and sympathy.

Horror story's are just like that. They aren't meant to scare the reader through flashing images or jump scares but cause them to feel deeply. Though this is also a reason horrors are rarely read by people who are looking for something lighthearted and bright.

You must know this target audience and prepare your story well to become a good horror. If mixed with mystery, then you must also make sure to keep what I said in my 'Mystery Genre Analysis' in mind as everything there is also essential in this blend.

(My other Analysis Blogs are in my Saved Posts.)

There are plenty of ways to make horrors not need mysteries by blending it with tragedy. However, it isn't something you can write with a bright heart free of ill-will towards others. After all, you must understand what makes people 'uneasy and disgusted' with something whenever you write something of this genre. As it is needed to bring out the best experience for those reading your work.

Some think Horror and Tragedy are two sides of the same coin. However, there is a reason these two are split up into separate genres. Tragedies might invoke sympathy in those who read it, but Horror strike the readers with true fears even if they are irrational.

Ghost stories make us fear the Supernatural, Stories about technology progressing beyond humans can control makes us fear Science Fiction, and even story about a mystical world which only curse its inhabitants with grief make us fear Fantasy.

We are rational creatures after all. We take each step carefully and are always uneasy about the unpredictable future, that is our mundane form of horror. We fear, and therefore we feel alive.

Thank you for reading~! Comment any more Analysis Blog requests to your leisure! ?

0