Dere Analysis- Kuudere
0 7 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Firstly, let's get the definition out of the way:

{A kuudere, sometimes written as kūdere or just kudere, refers to a character who is often cold, blunt, and cynical. They may seem very emotionless on the outside, but on the inside they're very caring — at least when it comes to the ones they love.} -Ripped straight from Google.

Now, why add this sort of character to a story? The answer is that Dere tropes exist. People just really consistently love certain types of female characters that fit their fetish. The Dandere (Silent Lovestruck) is for the dom's type out there~

As for those who like Cool Lovestruck type of female character, they are normally the type who want to see the eccentricities of said girls. The Kuudere's deadpan face and awkward way of expressing herself matches some dudes out there in their high school days where they thought having an expressionless look was totally cool~

It isn't in real life, by the way. When trying to handle this trope, try to imagine a character who isn't an alien but more like a girl who internalises 'love' in a different way from others thanks to her upbringing.

Although some find her defenceless figure with her naive optimisms or straight up ignorance of the protagonist's thought, it needs to be said that someone would have assaulted her already if she was cute and doesn't know frickin' social distance.

Writers love to get away with 'but she only does this with the main character (who is unable to commit himself and is shockingly 'virtuous') so it's fine'. But really... it's not. The Kuudere does not have a cosmic detector for her future life partner.

If you want her to seem like more of a person that can exist in reality, give her some cautiousness and portray her 'Lovestruck' antics in a more personal way. For example: Through their blunt attitude.

The appeal of a rare girl who is emotionless on the outside but sweet and caring on the inside is a fantasy for Otaku who want to believe that the deadpan classmate they likes also likes them back.

Some think that Kuudere wants to be that way.

But in real life, people are idiots only in high school and become more well-rounded as individuals after gaining enough experience and becoming proper adults. The Kuudere's bluntness and cynical way of talking isn't welcomed in more 'normie' groups.

That's why it's up to the main character to be there for her and be the warmth in her otherwise 'cold' life. The only requirement for a character to be shipped with a Kuudere is either that he could break her trope-y attitude or make her feel at home when they are around. Make it look like they compliment each other through their daily life.

Of course, there are other ways to do this as well and I don't see why writers can't be creative when using this. Just don't use the trope as an explanation and more of a point of reference, as it will stop your character from looking like a walking Dere Trope who has a background attached just for making an excuse for her behaviour.

In order to stop and explanation sounding like an excuse, make sure it comes early in their introduction why they act a certain way. As long as the reasoning is understandable, no one will point fingers and say you are making a flat character.

Just be sure that unless it has a slice-of-life added into it, don't make personalities the man focus.

Keep things in the background if you want to be subtle and focus more on driving your plot.

If not, I highly recommend you at least make sure there are other characters she can bounce off of coldly. After all, if you only show her being nice to her loved ones all the time (even if it's the main character), then the trope will become forced.

There doesn't need to be a big explanation for her being blunt and cynical, all she needs to do is be herself and let the other characters be themselves too. It is fine to show the unpleasant side of such a trope-ish character, as it makes them more 'real'.

The bluntness of a Kuudere is almost like the bluntness of a muscle brain sometimes but you can always decide how snaky they are on through the things they say and don't say. The deeper level of their character is expressed in their choices.

And to characterise someone, express the way these character's see others through the eyes of others. After all, going from her perspective alone would lose the air of mystery around her.

Is she caring towards kids? Does she hate the rainy days? When does she empathise? Or be ignorant?

Character choices play a big part in showing what a character is about, and Pet the Dog and Kick the Dog moments are good material to use (I mean the tropes. Look the two up). Either way, how they react to circumstances say more about them.

The Dere Tropes are only surface level judgements on characters anyway, so making a character with the trope as a guide rather than a reference would make an equally shallow character. Don't add mystery aspects to her if there is no payoff.

Remember that the Kuudere is 'cool and sweet', not antisocial. You can picture her as the heroine of Yamada and the Seven Witches as she is the one who can totally live without the main character.

Even if they didn't meet, she would still be a fully functional 'cool' girl who may be misunderstood by some but best friends with others. The caring side she shows to the main character might not be a side she only shows to him but all those she loves.

Contrarily, there may also be a Kuudere who is truly emotionless on the inside and needs a lot of lovestruck therapy before she can open up even a little to the main character. Even when the Male Lead hugs her, it might take some time before she's able to bring herself to hug him back and really show her affection. Though this is sometimes flipped with her instantly wanting children the moment she realised her own feelings for him.

I'm not a fan of the 'You are so kind = I suddenly love you' scenarios as makes my jaw drop whenever girls instantly fall for our Eroge Protagonist MC just because he's a little bit nice.

I mean, have some creativity or at least make the reasons girls like the Male Lead at first something shallow so you can slowly unravel the romance as she gets to truly understand his deeper emotions.

There's nothing wrong with liking a guy for his looks, money, fame, or just because the character is his fan. Anything is fine as for the beginning of a romance as long as they start to 'want' each other's company and like having them around.

Anyway, that’s all I got. Just remember she is who she is and slowly unravel her character. Peace out!

1