Archetype Analysis- Ideal Princess (and Knight)
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I’ve seen many ‘Princess Archetypes’ over the years, but few of them were satisfying to read.

It’s not because of the tomboy nature writers tend to give them, nor the validity of the world building.

‘Ideal Princesses’ are supposed to be fictional anyway, just like Disney Princesses. The only thing that bothers me most is how amateur writers in particular tend to try and fail at using ‘Girl Power’.

By adding masculine traits, they make the character more like a man than an ‘Ideal Princess’.

This spits on the archetype of the Princess...

After all, why make the character a Princess if you aren’t going to utilise it? I’ve seen many who have done this well by being intentional, making the fact she’s a bit of a tomboy part of the narrative itself.

However, I’ve also seen my fair share of female characters who have such traits just as a gimmick.

Hearing about such ‘gimmicks’ are boring!

But I also understand where many authors are coming from. Femininity is easily classified as nothing more than ‘weakness’, while masculinity is seen as ‘strength’. Ignoring one simple fact...

No one asks to be born male or female. That’s why they can only grow up adapting to the environment they are raised in. Princesses too should embody this trait if you wish to write in a ‘Idealistic’ way.

To be written as a rich; authoritative figure might give your character spoiled characteristics. 

They may be easily manipulated and foolish, but that’s only because the perspective is wrong.

Rather than focusing on the upbringing, let’s first figure out what exactly is a ‘Feminine Princess’.

Many stories would lead you believe that she’s sweet, pure, frail, and empathetic to others, but each and every one of these four traits have a hidden depth authors can take advantage of.

For example: Empathy isn’t something you feel by yourself. It’s experienced through humility and being sympathetic to others. This isn’t something normal princesses would be raised to understand.

Thus, the moment she starts empathising with people and becoming intimate with other people is when most readers start liking her. Having such a high figure slowly learn empathy is nice to read.

Sweetness and purity are also common descriptors of your average Shoujo protagonist girl. They make her pleasing to the eye and ears. However, those written as princesses aren’t all mainly like this.

Some of them show sweetness as a mask to hide their feelings. Others ironically try to pursue the reputation of being a ‘Perfect Princess’, whatever that entails her to specifically act or work for.

When a man, with all his strength and standard amount of ‘masculinity’, shows a prickly personality that keeps others at a distance, it’s usually the sweet nature of the ‘Princess’ that relaxes him.

Romances involving Princesses and Knights ideally have their traits become useful after becoming ‘active’ in the narrative. They switch from a passive onlooker, to someone whose traits affect the plot.

Some might think feminine/weak characteristics of a Princess may ruin their story, but only those who think too narrowly believe that. Even ‘weakness’ could positively affect the main characters in the right circumstances. Especially in fairy tales.

I mean, if you flip the scale, then the most ideal Knight personifying masculinity would turn into a terminator. Their eloquence, authority, servitude, and chivalry... normally doesn’t help out 24/7.

No man can be absent of weakness, but young squires in these stories are taught otherwise. 

Even if it takes a toll on them, they continue to live in a masculine way by being driven to protect Royalty as if their lives are worth less than others. It makes them go into battle thinking negatively...

Resting may help, but in the romances that feature Knights and Princesses, someone who can show them how to relax would be more suitable. That’s how Princesses positively affect the narrative.

Every Knight has the ‘feminine trait’ called affection for their family and nation. It’s usually the most generic motivation given to why they joined the army in the first place. That’s just how it is...

However, they never accept this part of themselves as something that weakens them. That’s the kind of mindset you need when writing Ideal Princess characters. They need an equal chance.

Normally, their frailty is why they’re never able to properly protect themselves without Knights.

It sometimes gives the wrong perception that only Knights can fight, and that girls should stay clear.

Unfortunately, being frail really DOES make you lose your chances in a fight regardless of gender.

But that’s only if you’re character is ‘passive’.

Though fighting head-to-head would make even an Ideal Princess lose, intelligence is also ‘feminine’.

Just like how physically weak guys could use their heads in tough situations, Princesses can do that too... Even having the added benefit of being allowed to fail when their body is weaker.

The same can’t be said for Ideal Knights.

If you give your Male Lead character traits they never act on to affect the story, then they become passive main characters worse than damsels-in-distress. The only way to make anyone matter is to make them always ‘active’ when they’re needed.

While princesses are given explicit; almost cosmic permission to be physically weaker than men by the reading audience, it isn’t the same for Ideal Knights. The only time they can show even a hint of weakness is when they’re not on duty to fight.

Other than those times, it’s better to have them actively participate thank to their personalities.

That’s just my thoughts on the matter...

0