Leyah I
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leyah I


The comforting silence of the library calmed her tense nerves. The smell of old books enveloped her like the embrace of a lost lover. It came with the promise of better days, peaceful days; exactly like those days of her childhood which her heart yearned for.

Yet, even now, as she accepted the comfort of this warmth and silence, a rational part of her kept poking at her, discomforting her in a scorching way. This is not your home, it whispered and it was right. The library of Reina might be her homestead for the foreseeable future, might feel like her home but it shall never be her home. Then again, she was never meant to think of it as one. The Commandant had been quite adamant about it.

“Even if you will be working here for the foreseeable future. This library is not your home. It never was. And it never will be. Remember that and you are already better than the previous custodians”

His words still rang in her ears. His tone. It was unusual, unsuited for someone of his personality. In all these years, his voice had never held that graveness in it. Never. It was natural then that she kept wracking her mind to find a reason for it. She scoured her thoughts for this truth, for the answer. Yet, she found none and perhaps, never will. The Commandant could be quite the riddle when he wished to be. There was an underlying warning though, in his words. She was sure of it, as sure as she was of the fact that the sun shall rise tomorrow in the east and shall set in the west.

At least, I have that as a concession. Perhaps I shall ponder this question while doing my chores... Yes that was right, it would be a most valuable use of my time, She began cleaning up the reception table, or rather more accurately it was her personal table, as she pondered the question in her thoughts.

It was during this moment of serenity, where her mind and soul were one that a loud noise broke her out of her little bubble.

She would be a liar if she were to say that she was not startled by it. Or maybe, startled was a more refined word for ‘got jumpscared so hard that I lost my balance and fell down’. It was not her fault that the terminals in the library were too loud, awkwardly so, considering this was a library. She couldn't imagine visiting here only to be interrupted by the extremely loud chimes of the terminal. Then again, the chimes would be of little concern when the only visitors to grace this library were its custodians. She considers herself, an extremely lucky woman for this. Supernaturally so.

Her mind was unable to take a dive into the turbulent waters, which were her thoughts, as the terminal once again chimed to demand her attention. She was thankful for the chime, she hardly wished to dwell on her thoughts when it could possibly be the Commandant himself contacting her. He had informed her that they would be in constant contact for the entire duration of her custodianship.

 

[Leyah,

I hope that you are faring well at your current position. I am, well aware that your transfer from Calypso was an abrupt one and I, wholeheartedly accept the blame for it. Not that, you must be cursing me in your thoughts considering you had wished to be in the inquisition. Consider this as your dream come true- ]

Leyah had assumed that the terminal was a standard issue model. Thus, she was shocked when the terminal displayed the message holographically without her even interacting with it. It was almost as if it sensed her approach. It might have. She had never worked with a series 7 afterall.

Nonetheless, her shock had quickly melted into a fond amusement as she read the message from the Commandant. Only someone like him could find humor even in the most formal situations. Rather more accurately, it was only he, who could get away with it in this quadrant. She shook her head in amusement as she continued reading through the message.

 

[

However, remember to never make the mistake of assuming the library to be your home, your place of rest. Make this mistake and it will know- ]

Jeez, can you be more foreboding? Leyah thought to herself as she giggled at his words. Though, she knew better than to ignore them. The Commandant was a wise man, it would do her better to heed his words.

 

[

I have high hopes for you, Ley. Very high hopes.

It is, with this deep belief in you that I entrust you with your first task or rather your first and final task. Now, now, I can already hear you panicking. Relax, by that statement, I meant to say that this task is your primary duty as the custodian (except protecting the library, of course). You will document the books in the library onto the digital mainframe; to this end, attached with this message is your passcode to AURORA. Keep it safe and Goodluck.

Your ever trustable friend,

Fredrick]

 

She smiled at his trust in her, You are mine as well, my ever loving friend. Though Commandant Fredrick’s words were like a ray of sunshine to her, she was beyond ecstatic at having access to the AURORA mainframe. The deepest well of knowledge, all at her fingertips.

She downloaded the passcode onto her PDA and returned to tidying up her desk. Her mind was already compiling a list of what all she wanted to search up on AURORA. Suffice to say, it was a rather humongous list.

____________________________________

 

Leyah wandered her way through the 7th level of the library, the one dealing with the most ancient and holy of all texts in the library. These hallways were perhaps the most beautiful examples of master craftsmanship that she had ever seen and most likely ever will. It was as if the woodwork was attempting to recite a tale of its own.

Though, she knew that the access to the library was restricted and that applied even more so to this level in particular; she couldn't help but feel this sense of liveliness from the desolate halls of this grand library that she had never felt before.

Every table, every chair, every step ladder, it felt as if they had been worn down from use yet somehow have maintained their freshness. It was all incomprehensibly sensible.

Surrounded by these books on all sides, settled within her chest, a feeling of tranquility. Deep rooted tranquility.

The tranquility, however, could hold no candle to the thrilling sensation that had gripped her heart. In her hands, was perhaps the most sought after yet obscure piece of literature.

 

A book simply titled ‘The Anchor’ by Charles Arvell.

0