Leyah II
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leyah II

 

In Spite of the Commandant’s assurances that they would be in constant contact. Such an act had yet to happen. His messages to her were few and far between. Even in those messages that she received, he spoke professionally, his words lacking their usual warmth. Seldom was she able to spot affections in his words. It worried her. Worried her, more than she could admit.

Mayhaps, he had found someone else? It would be understandable. He was an extremely desirable man, even more so after the ascension of the new Queen. It wouldn't be unlikely that he had been approached by a woman he thought more worthy of him than her.

She would not fault him for it. She simply could not. Her heart wouldn't allow her to do it. Yet, her heart still clenched with pain. Perhaps, she shouldn't have taken this job at all. What were these inconsequential tomes of history worth to her? Worth more than her love? No, they never were and never would be.

She shook her head. It was pointless now. She had made her bed and now she must lay in it. However, it didn't mean it lessened the pain in her heart. Nothing could. And, perhaps nothing ever will. She had loved him for as long as she could remember. He was her first and her last. None could compare to him, afterall.

I’m getting lost in my thoughts again, it's better I focus on this job, Leyah sighed mentally as she continued to search for the thrice damned book. It had escaped her, once more. She had thought it was the auxiliary staff pulling off a trick on her. She had confronted them about it. The only answer she had received was silence. Unnerving, deafening silence.

She had found the book that night. It was in her dresser. Leyah’s suspicion regarding them had only increased. She never confronted them again, however. Once was enough.

She had spent the entirety of the previous day reading the book. It had simply captivated her. It always did. When she had opened her bedside drawer, it was the book's resting place now as the drawer had a lock, the book was gone. Not a single trace of it was left behind. As if it disappeared into thin air. Mayhaps, it did. She doubted someone could have broken the lock without her being awoken by the noise.

It both puzzled her and intrigued her. Having said that, it made her equally and perhaps even moreso, fearful of the book. She had formulated a number of theories on the curious nature of the book. However, each was more outlandish than the last.

That had given rise to a much more plausible theory. A much much more sinister one than any other, her mind could have thought of. She had passed it off as a foolish conclusion. Now, however, her mind was getting more and more convinced regarding its plausibility.

The book was a psychological hazard. That was her theory. Outlandish and far-fetched, it was, yes. Nevertheless, it was the one that made the most amount of sense.

She had since visited the small clinic in the town nearby, almost thrice. However, each time, all she got in response was a no. There was no damage to her mental stability. No signs of being in contact with a psychological hazard. None, zero, nil. Despite that, in her third visit, the doctor had given her medicine. An anti-stress medicine. Leyah had failed to see its use to her and thus, refused to take it. Besides, the medicine would make her drowsy and that was something she could seldom afford.

Her mental deep dive was halted as the familiar chiming of the terminal echoed through the reception of the library.

Leyah rushed over to the terminal. She was no longer amazed by the holographic display of the terminal and neither did its detection of her presence, take her aback any longer. However, the inane feeling of restlessness and excitement still rose up within her, everytime she looked at it. She couldn't help it.

Each chime of the terminal signified Fredrick’s message after all. And, in spite of her resolution to not be strung along by him, she couldn't help but be joyful hearing that sound. It was music to her ears. Besides, in this lonely life at the still unfamiliar and daunting library, Fredrick's words brought a sense of familiarity and comfort.

If she was not busy reading the book of Charles Arvell, then she was busy rereading his letters. She had not done so before. But now, ever since she began reading that book, this habit had been cultivated within her. Her parents would scold her. They would call her delusional. They would tell her, she was wasting away her youth. But, her parents were not her. They could never understand the depth of her feelings for this man. They never will. Additionally, they were not here and thus, she was free to do whatever her heart desired.

And now? Her heart desired to read his message, to peer over it for any sign of hidden affection that the Commandant was, oh, so, a fan of sprinkling in.

Perhaps, she was a hopeless woman. A fool even, chasing after a man who might have already found someone else. Someone better. However, it mattered little to her. Unless she heard the words directly from Fredrick's words, she would not give up hope.

Oh! How her hopes were increased as she read the message. Her body practically vibrated with excitement and glee. She felt as if her entire being was filled with warmth as she continued to read the message. She would have to become presentable, yes. And, she would have to procure some fine and enchanting clothes for herself as well. Leyah set out to do just that with a massive grin on her face. She couldn't be anything but her best. Fredrick was afterall, coming to visit her.

[

My Dear Ley,

 

I wish to ask for your forgiveness. I realize that in these past few weeks, I have done naught but behave dishonorably. And, have hurt your feelings in doing so, no doubt.

My work here at the senate had been particularly taxing these past weeks. This annoyance had bled into my previous messages to you. It was highly irrational of me to do so. And I apologize to you for this. You may reject my apology, if you so wish; if it were conveyed to you using such a lousy method.

Thus, as a way of properly seeking your forgiveness. I am coming to visit you tomorrow afternoon. It is with the deepest hopes in my heart that I can gain your forgiveness.

 

Dearly yours,

Fredrick

]

0