Life struggle
26 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter One: The Orphan's Struggle

As the crowded street bustled with activity, Daniel, a young boy barely seven years old, navigated through the throngs of people with practiced agility. His small hands deftly searched for valuables amidst the chaos, a skill honed through years of survival in the unforgiving streets of the slums.

Suddenly, Daniel collided with a burly man, causing the man to stagger backward in surprise. Fear gripped Daniel's heart as he anticipated the man's wrath, but before the man could react, Daniel seized a handful of sand and flung it into the man's eyes.

Cursing and clutching his face in pain, the man was momentarily incapacitated, allowing Daniel to slip away into the bustling crowd, disappearing from sight.

As Daniel retreated to the safety of his makeshift shelter in the slums, he reflected on his tumultuous existence. Born into poverty and orphaned at a young age, Daniel had learned to fend for himself in a world where survival was a daily struggle.

His recent expulsion from the orphanage, due to his lack of social interaction and preference for solitude, had left him with no choice but to fend for himself in the harsh streets of the slums.

Sitting by the flickering flames of a campfire, Daniel pondered the mysteries of the world around him. Despite his lack of magical talent, he was fascinated by the arcane forces that permeated the world, shaping the destinies of those blessed with the gift of magic.

"What is magic?" Daniel whispered to himself, his voice barely audible above the crackling of the fire.

"It's the art of manipulating mana," he mused, his eyes shining with curiosity. "And what is mana? It's like the air we breathe, invisible yet ever-present, both around us and within us."

Daniel's thoughts drifted to the elite few who possessed an innate talent for magic, their abilities transcending the limitations of ordinary citizens like himself. He envied their privilege and longed for a life of purpose and significance beyond the confines of the slums.

But amidst the challenges and hardships of his everyday life, Daniel harbored a glimmer of hope, a determination to defy the odds and carve out his own destiny in a world where magic and swords reigned supreme.

As Daniel awoke to the morning sun casting its golden rays upon the slums, he prepared himself for another day of survival. For the past few days, he had relied on his skills as a pickpocket to scavenge for food and necessities, but today seemed unusually unlucky as he returned empty-handed.

"Hmm, it's getting late," Daniel muttered to himself, a sense of frustration gnawing at his insides. "Guess it's just not my lucky day."

As he made his way back to his humble abode, his ears pricked up at the sound of voices echoing from a nearby alley. Curiosity piqued, Daniel cautiously approached the source of the commotion, his heart pounding with apprehension.

Amidst the dense foliage, Daniel caught sight of five shadowy figures huddled together, their voices murmuring in hushed tones. His eyes widened in alarm as he realized they were slave traders discussing their recent acquisitions.

"We've got a fine lot this time," remarked one of the traders, a grizzled man with a scar across his cheek. "A mix of strong workers and a few pretty ones for the nobles."

Daniel's stomach churned with disgust as he listened to their callous conversation, his fists clenching in anger at the exploitation of innocent lives.

Suddenly, as Daniel attempted to slip away unnoticed, he stepped on a dead branch, emitting a loud crunch under his weight. The traders' heads snapped towards the source of the noise, their eyes narrowing in suspicion.

"Well, well, what do we have here?" sneered the brutish leader of the group, a cruel grin spreading across his face. "Looks like we've got ourselves a little eavesdropper."

Daniel's heart raced with fear as the traders closed in on him, their menacing presence sending shivers down his spine.

"GET HIM!" one of the men shouted, and Daniel bolted into action, zigzagging through the narrow alleyways in a desperate attempt to escape.

To his dismay, Daniel found himself face-to-face with another member of the group, a hulking brute who blocked his path with a sinister grin.

"GAHAHAHA, I GOT HIM, BOSS!" the man bellowed triumphantly, seizing Daniel by the collar.

The leader of the group approached with a predatory gleam in his eye, assessing Daniel with a calculating gaze. "Well, well, what do we have here?" he mused, his voice dripping with malice. "Black eyes, black hair... quite the rarity. Take good care of him; he'll fetch us a good price."

"LET ME GO, YOU DAMN BASTARDS!" Daniel shouted, struggling against his captors with all his might.

But his protests fell on deaf ears as one of the men chanted a spell, enveloping Daniel in a haze of drowsiness. With a final cry of defiance, Daniel's vision blurred, and he succumbed to unconsciousness, unaware of the dark fate that awaited him.

0