Ch. 1: New Life, New World
29 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"This is not what I expected when I agreed to this mission..." These words were spoken by a young man, no longer than 16, who was currently hanging upside down in a tree... by a rope. "Normally, you don't arrive in a trap when you're sent to a new world." This young man was Aedan, a reincarnated mid-twenties man from Earth, who had no idea why he was upside down in a hanging snare trap in the middle of a forest. "System, where am I?"

An ambiguous voice that appeared mildly feminine based only on deep focus responded blandly, "Currently you are hanging in a tree in a forest in Wolfshear Province, outside of Dawncairn. To get less specific, you're in the Heartian Empire."

"Oh, I landed in Heartia. That's... better than some alternatives. Like Ranos. The Dragon Clan certainly wouldn't appreciate the intrusion of a mortal... Any way to get me out of this situation, or am I just gonna die upside down?"

"I recommend untying yourself," said the unenthusiastic voice.

"Right, well, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to do that. I'm not exactly what you'd call a master escape artist... It'd be easier if I had a class."

"Give it about five minutes, you'll get one."

Going back to a few minutes prior, Aedan was sent to this new world, the planet of Auria, as a result of being summoned by one of the two chief deities of this new world, Accora, a world within a VRMMORPG rather boringly named Accora Online. The game was focused on the two main factions of Light and Dark being forced to team up for the second time against the return of a world-ending threat, the Evil God. When the second apocalypse began, it was up to the players, nicknamed Outlanders or Adventurers, to be the main force against the great evil, as most of the native people had been decimated in the first strike.

One of these deities, Mythras, the God of the Sun and Light, and the chief deity of the Light Faction, received the young man's soul when he was summoned. To simplify, he was told that the game he experienced was based on this world, and they truly need someone to help rescue them, and no matter how many natives they tried to empower, it failed. As a result, Adventurers were their only hope, as only with their involvement did they push the Evil God back to the final battle. Despite Aedan not seeing the result, having performed a suicide run in an attempt to 'punch a hole' through the enemy formation, he was summoned due to his skills and talent.

Aedan, learning that he would be doing this without any other players assistance, requested that the deity from the future use their remaining power to increase his chances of success by reforming his body to better suit the mission. Mythras agreed, knowing what was at stake, and reformed Aedan to have a unique bloodline that he would awaken in the future, with his race remaining as human, and sent him onward, wishing him victory.

"If I wait any longer, I'm going to die from prolonged inversion. Hurry up." Aedan had a pointless amount of information involving medical stuff, having been a college dropout from a Med Tech course... and having stolen a $500 textbook on the way out.

Only a few seconds after he said that, a pop-up appeared in his vision.

- CHOOSE YOUR CLASS -
MAGE WARRIOR CLERIC
SPIRIT EATER - ROGUE

"Ah, there it is... Wait, there's five? There was only four possible options before. What is this Spirit Eater class?" Aedan was solidly confused. Originally, depending on the player's race, the available classes varied. For example, Wood Elves of Mathyrwin were the only race able to have Ranger, while the Orcs of the Krar Empire monopolized the Barbarian class. Humans, due to their adaptability, could eventually learn any potential class through training, but only started with the four base classes of Wizard, Warrior, Cleric and Rogue.

The less-than-thrilled system voice responded, "Spirit Eater is a unique class that, technically, encompasses every other class by virtue of being able to potentially access them all. You can picture it as the only class capable of total multi-class without losing anything. It even has access to restricted classes that originally belong only to natives, like Summoner, Hero or Witch. However, the four base classes are the core of the Spirit Eater class." It briefly paused before continuing, "It also has one of the quickest, but also hardest, rates of growth. Instead of requiring constant training, the only method to grow stronger is in battle. It's called Spirit Eater because you need to devour the souls of those you have killed in order to boost your own growth. It's an ancient class from long before our written history, so that is the only reason we know it is not a class related to the Evil God, as it has only been 800 years since the Aurian War... or the First Aurian War, since there will be a second soon. This class has also been reworked to fit you. At present, Pure Souls come from Dark Faction kills, Tainted Souls come from Light Faction kills, Beast Souls from creatures, and Evil Souls from anything Evil God related. Some exceptions include Pure Souls from bandits and criminals, Tainted Souls from any civilians that aren't criminals, etc."

"Well, that's a very in-depth description, thank you... Honestly, considering what I'm going up against, and how multi-classing is so extremely rare, I definitely need the edge. System, since I can't use my hands, select Spirit Eater for me."

The popup flickered as Spirit Eater glowed briefly before all of the information came crashing into Aedan's mind, filling it quickly with how to use his new class before giving him a new pop-up, telling him to choose his first 'subclass' from the four base classes. "Normally, I'd go with Mage, since that was my main class originally, but knowing the future, I need to increase my survivability. Some of the best Warriors didn't manage to survive the first wave, and many Clerics self-sacrificed, so that just leaves Rogue." He quickly chose Rogue, and quickly got the base abilities of Rogue:

CLASS: ROGUE LEVEL: 1  
Stealth (R1) Escape Artist (R1) Celerity (R1)
Backstab (R1) Ambush (R1) Thieves Tools (R1)
0