Chapter 22: The Case
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Boss Jonathan? “Fortunately, the voice of one of Jonathan’s men interrupted the kiss in time, otherwise I couldn't imagine what Jonathan would have done next, perhaps molested his immature daughter.

“What’s wrong?” Jonathan asked and stopped the security guard who had just turned around and walked outside the door, hurriedly.

“Well... “The bodyguard looked at me awkwardly and turned to Jonathan. It took him a long time to think of what he wanted to say. “Officer Marcel is coming, and he wants to talk with you and your little girl.”

He looked up at Jonathan and added, “To inquire about the details of the kidnapping yesterday.” When the bodyguard went out, I could see that he was relieved and wiped the cold sweat off his face.” No wonder he was so scared since he had only been there for two months, probably no one had told him that I was Jonathan’s adopted child.

I licked my lips. “Although I could regard the kiss last night as a goodnight kiss, could I convince myself that this was only a good morning kiss?” I thought about it for a while.

Officer Marcel was still dressed in a uniform, as soon as he entered, he took out a piece of paper and a pen from his folder, with intense solemnity on his face. Jonathan had known his purpose, sat down on the crouch and said in a sarcastic tone, “It is rare for you to come over to my house. Would you like a cup of tea or coffee?”

"Don’t bother. I am just here to investigate yesterday’s case and make a written record.

His tone implied that they were just strangers. I wanted to confirm whether he would write the truth. Jonathan just said to him, “You are free to write whatever, I don't care!”

“Don't you mind? Kalvin is lying in the emergency room with a broken hand, more than a dozen fractures on his body and his left kidney has been removed because of serious damage.”

“Still alive? He is tenacious enough!” Jonathan said.

“You! What hatred you must have to strike a man to such a degree,” Officer Marcel said. He was so angry that he broke the pen in his hands. Then he continued, “In terms of his condition, your behavior can be regarded as a rather excessive defense. If he insists on suing you, it could be tricky,” the officer warned him.

“Oh, he wouldn’t dare to sue me,” Jonathan said.

“A corpse was pulled out of the sea today and identified by Kalvin, it was another kidnapper,” Officer Marcel mentioned to Jonathan, who took a cigarette from the nearby tea table and lit it.

“Well, Officer Marcel, you can’t put this matter on me. It's none of my business.” Jonathan said.

“None of your business? That's human life! How can you kill others without even thinking about it?” he asked. Finally, the officer got very angry and pointed his finger at Jonathan. Trembling, he shouted, “Don’t you have even the slightest bit of humanity left in you?”

“Humanity? That is exclusively for those who look through the autopsy reports in an air-conditioned room. If you're being hung up and beaten if you're forced to inject yourself with drugs, if you’re trapped in an alley, or stabbed dozens of times...” Jonathan suddenly stopped and stood up to kick the sofa. He kicked it so hard that I wondered whether he might have fractured his foot.

He gritted his teeth hard, sweat is dripping from his forehead. It must have been painful. I often saw him hit people, but that was the first time I saw him inflict any pain on himself. He just stood there, with no response. When I was about to return to my room, he patted me on the head and smiled at me, it was bitter and reluctant to smile.

"What were we talking about just now, Police Marcel? Continue!" he said to the officer.

Marcel looked at me, then he gathered all the papers in his hand and said, “I am leaving, and you take care of yourself.”

“Go!” Jonathan said.

He walked to the door, hesitated for a moment, then turned and changed his tone, saying, "There is still time for you to rebuild your life.”

“Rebuild? Are you kidding me?” Jonathan said.

“In your business, a few have a good ending,” the officer reminded him. “If there's anything I can help with, just ask, said Officer Marcel.

Jonathan sneered. “Thank you!”

0