Chapter V
88 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Finally, I sighed, opening the door to my den carefully, in case there was anyone there. Everything was normal, no cops, no killers. Considering the stalking I did this evening. Seeing my room empty was quite a surprise. It seems that my encounter with the police was completely innocuous. But I doubt they will take long to find me, despite that.


 With dawn already breaking, I had little time if I wanted to escape. Given the fervor, the cops had in pursuing me last night.  They are probably tired and will assume that I am too (I am) and that I am hiding. Bad luck for them, I'm going to take advantage of this interlude to sneak away.

Not having much luggage, gathering it was quick. I put my grimoire in a bag slung over my shoulder. To be able to use it quickly.


"It looks like someone wants to throw off their pursuers. It's so rude."  I heard a female voice say it mockingly.


Being surprised all the time was starting to bore me. But this time, I would take the initiative in the attack.

Jumping back, at full speed, i summoned my spellbook. The woman looked at me with surprise on her face, mixed with an expression wondering if I was stupid. I saw me pointing at him with my index finger.


You don't pay anything to wait, I thought. Gunslinger, I shouted.


Since she wasn't expecting it, the first projectile hit her right in the chest. Sending him flying nearly five meters, setting his top on fire.

I quickly approached her, to check that she was on the ground.


Before closing the distance, that separated me from her. She stood up with an abominable scream, tearing the flaming top she was wearing, her skin being badly burned in some places.  Unfortunately, she seemed to be healing visibly, which was bad for me, a superhuman.

Still enraged, she made a formidable leap, worthy of the Hulk. Sensing the craziness coming, I moved quickly.  And damn!  I was right, his base was cratered. She had just given me an all-out Tsunade.


It was obvious that his strength was far beyond mine. Fighting her at a medium distance seems to be the best solution.

Now that she was on her guard, touching her was becoming difficult, if not impossible. Our fight became a game of cat and mouse. I shot at her from a distance, while she threw anything she could get her hands on at me, or made an improvised shield out of it.


“Stay in place, little bastard, so I can get you." She roared furiously.


In response to this tirade, I threw a volley of fireballs at him. One of them hit the target, grazing him on the shoulder. This time, she didn't fall backward. My fireballs don't seem powerful enough yet to outwit the superhumans in one hit.


If I want to overcome her.  I have to go into close combat before I run out of juice, my gunslinger is soon reaching his end.  I doubt it could resist my drilling technique. The only problem was getting caught. Otherwise, I was finished.


Quickly strategizing, I started throwing everything I could get my hands on at him. To top it all off, I threw the last salvo of fireballs I had left at her, aiming at her and the ground. Obstructing his view, in a plume of dust. I had to admit, the grace she put into her movements to avoid my attacks and approach me.  Was both sublime and frightening.  Which demonstrated great martial prowess.


As she closed the distance between us, I had already activated my piercing technique. Putting my hand, in a position so she can't see it.


I took a few steps back and ran towards her with all my strength.

 She had a wild smile on her face when she saw my load.  She probably thinks I'm desperate. Big mistake, my dear!



Shit, I cursed, I feel like she just broke every bone in my back. She deflected my attack so quickly, that I didn't have time to realize what was happening.  Just when I was thinking of skewering her in the stomach, she crouched down at lightning speed and embraced me.  Handled like a rag doll.  Then it threw me into a devastating suplex.


 "You're a real bastard. You know that!"  She said this to me while punching me.


Cough! Cough!


My mouth was iron. She destroyed me.  A little blood was coming out of my mouth.  The difference in level between a trained superhuman and the guys I've dealt with so far. It clearly showed that my skills were mundane at the moment.


"I thought you were tougher than that. I'm rather disappointed." She laughed, seeing me spitting blood.


"What do you want from me?" I asked him, in a hoarse voice.  “If you want to kill me. Let’s get it over with, kill me.”


"You're misunderstanding me, man. I just want to know what you know about the murder of Police Officer Juan Gomez."


"Who  ? "


“You’re joking, I hope.”

 

 One hour later.



"If I understand correctly, you don't remember anything. Not even your name. All because of the powers you awakened."


From her blasé look, it was obvious that she didn't believe me for a cent. After dragging me out of the crater, in which I lay.  She presented herself properly. To say I was surprised and ashamed would be an understatement.  It was Jessica Jones, and I didn't recognize her. Well, given his crappy entrance, my reaction was completely normal.


“Listen, why would I lie to you?”


“But your story makes no sense.”


“Who are you telling?” I muttered, annoyed.


According to her, I was the only witness to the murder of a cop (who was her friend) by the kingpin himself.  I made a statement to the police, which was never followed up on. Learning of her friend's murder, she began to investigate and was able to get my statement from an anonymous source. She's been stalking me for months, without success. When suddenly I appeared in all the media, like a serial killer on the loose, this whole situation was ludicrous, to say the least. No wonder the saleswoman stared at me so rudely.


"Let's recap. You have amnesia, you are the witness to a murder, and you killed two people in self-defense. You were at the center of a shooting. And all of New York wants your skin."


“Yes, I’m in deep trouble, I know.”


Even if she was an ex or a heroine, who cares? I was a little embarrassed to ask Jessica for help. Certainly, she had just clarified my situation, but she was doing it for her friend. Not for a poor guy (me), whose usefulness was reduced to nothing, and who was wanted.


"Pff. Considering the look on your face, you want my help. You seem like a good guy, so why not."


“I thank you,” I said with a dignified air.


"On the other hand, you'll have to explain this whole floating book thing to me and what you were throwing at me earlier."


“That’s going to be complicated.”


 

Unknown hiding place.


You had to give it to Jessica. His skills in navigating this city without being seen were fabulous. Since my hideout was no longer safe, running away would only make my situation worse.  She kindly offered to host me, in exchange for helping her do justice to her friend. Which, at the same time, will exonerate me.

 Easier said than done.  The testimony of a pseudo-amnesiac is not worth a damn.

And seeing what this body had been going through for months, what I had been going through for weeks, because of damn Wilson Fisk. I only wanted to find him and kill him. This guy was a fucking scourge, who always got away with his crimes.

 Justice cajoled him, but the heroes only apprehended him for a time. And the victims piled up in its wake as if nothing had happened.  In full view of everyone.

Needless to say, the world of superheroes is a world of total impunity, which I am slowly starting to hate. If I don't show resilience, hatred and resentment risk bringing me down.


"Oh, hey, we're here. Sleeping Beauty "

 “Sorry,” I replied.  “I was lost in my thoughts.”


"Okay. This is your new home. You're going to stay here while I gather some allies to sort this out. If you need to eat, the fridge is full."


"When all this ends. I will pay you back, and I will be in debt to you."


“What a brave knight you are,” she laughed.


 As I settled in, she was already turning on her heel to leave. But I stopped him from asking.


 “Can you find me, a fighter who can give me a lesson or two?”


I saw the sh*t smile that appeared on his face. I felt like she was going to say something stupid.


"I'll be happy to clean my floors with your pretty body. Just wait for me to come back."

 

" All right."  I sighed.


*****

Had it not been for my regeneration, I would have suffered a severe death, Jessica thought.

Indeed, even if she hid it under a derogatory smile, Alex's strikes hit like shells. And it hurt like hell.


During their brief confrontation, the two blows she suffered broke several bones and burned her badly in some places.

Let's not even talk about the last thing he released. Even though she dodged it, the energy her fingers gave off was simply phenomenal.

For a guy who had only recently supposedly awakened his powers.  He was mastered, who knows what he will be able to do when fully mature. If he was more used to his powers, he would have beaten him.


Well, for him to reach it he will have to stay alive. Although his story was anything but clear. He would make sure it could survive and evolve. And also that he is not mentally controlled. This amnesia thing was bothering her.


"Heroism when you hold us. Yes, I know, I have a bleeding heart," she thought, while laughing.

 

 ******

Bullseye watched the video of the fight between Alex and the assassins one last time. Since the kingpin contacted him.  He had made it his duty to search for the life of his target from top to bottom. From a relational point of view, it was complete nothingness, no family, no friends.


His public appearances were equally rare. The little information he had did not allow him to establish a psychological profile with which to work.

On the one hand, it was frustrating, but on the other, it added challenge to the task.

He likes being challenged, what's more, exhilarating than crushing an insect that thinks it's powerful?

Especially since Alex seems to be a somewhat decent fighter, with minor strength.

Although he seems to be the type to defend himself, rather than attack.

 If he is reluctant to get his hands dirty, if we don't force him to, it will be even better.

 To destroy him mentally, and physically.


"Alex,I hope you understand the chance of being my target. Don't disappoint my expectations."


While rambling, the toothpick he had just thrown landed right in the center of Alex's head, where a target was painted.

6