Prologue
11 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A glint of sunlight bounced off the steel blade as Hua Xuiying lunged forward.

Ruwen watched her approach, his face as calm as always. He effortlessly stepped aside, dodging the razor-sharp blade by a hair's breadth. Xiuying felt a smile on her own lips. She lifted her foot to aim a kick at him. But, as if Ruwen already saw that coming, he blocked the attack with the back of his hand. He didn't even flinch in the slightest.

Xuiying stared at him for a moment, and then smiled.

"You'll never let me win, won't you?" Xiuying said with a soft chuckle as she sheathed her sword. "If I'm not mistaken, this is your 28th win. As a daughter of the Great General, I feel ashamed." Despite her remarks, there was a trace of a smile on her lips.

Ruwen smiled at her, a little sheepishly. "I vowed to the Crown Prince that I'd protect you, Young Lady, so I must be strong enough to keep that promise. If I am beaten by someone I am supposed to protect, what face will I show the Crown Prince and you?"

Xiuying let out a sigh. "Enough with the formality, Ruwen. We've known each other for years. No need to be polite with me all the time." She paused, and then added, in a gentle voice. "Just call me by my name."

"I'm afraid that won't be appropriate, Young Lady."

"There's no one here beside us," Xiuying continued, looking at him.

Ruwen regarded her steadily and sighed. "Alright, Ying. I guess you're winning this one."

A satisfied smile spread across Xiuying's face. The wind blew gently, sending the towering bamboo around them swaying. Ruwen put his sword in a sheath that hung around his waist and started toward Xiuying. But then, he stopped in his tracks, looking at something behind Xiuying.

Soft footsteps whispered behind, followed by a familiar voice.

"Playing without me again?"

Xiuying turned and looked at the young man walking toward them. He looked at them calmly, dressed in a regal attire embroidered with an emerald dragon and his hair was tied up in a bun with a gold coronet. Jin Ge, the Crown Prince of the Kingdom of Yu and Xiuying's betrothed.

"Should I start getting jealous?" Jin Ge feigned a look of suspicion as he glanced at Xiuying.

Ruwen's eyes widened. He cupped his fists and bowed. "Your Highness, I do not dare to -"

Jin Ge gave a dismissive wave of his hand. "I'm just messing with you, General Ruwen."

Xiuying greeted Jin Ge with a demure smile and a slight bow of her head. "Your Highness, I think what you should be jealous of is his swordsmanship. I'm personally taught by my father, but I still can't beat this man no matter what." She paused and looked at Jin Ge. "So are you, right?"

"He's a monster," Jin Ge said with a shake of his head. "No wonder he became one of the generals of the Dragon Knights."

"And the youngest at that," Xiuying added.

Jin Ge narrowed his eyes at Ruwen. "Remind us not to get on your bad side."

Ruwen let out a sigh, and a smile graced his lips. It was only a year ago when Ruwen was promoted to one of the generals of the Dragon Knights.

"Anyway," Jin Ge said, "My father wishes to see the two of you."

"Ah, right, the Warrior Hunt will begin tomorrow," Ruwen said, touching a finger to his upper lip as he always did whenever he was thinking. "I think I know what this will be about."

The trio arrived at the Hall of Divine Lotus in the Royal Palace. The emperor of Yu was seated elegantly at the main seat of the hall. In stark contrast to the imposing yellow dragon robe he was wearing, the man in front of them had the gentlest face Xiuying had ever seen. Despite holding the highest power in the whole empire, Emperor Zhong was the most benevolent man Xiuying had met.

Standing close to the Emperor was the Prime Minister. He was a tall, elderly man with grey hair tied underneath a black turban-like hat. Unlike the emperor, the Prime Minister's demeanor was indifferent as he looked at them.

Xiuying was the first to step forward. She bowed with subtle elegance and flawless grace. "Xiuying greets the Emperor and Prime Minister Li Qiang."

Jin Ge and Ruwen followed after her, bending forward in a bow.

"This servant greets the Emperor and Prime Minister Li Qiang," Ruwen said.

Prime Minister Li Qiang returned their greetings with a nod, his countenance remaining unchanged, and then he turned to Jin Ge and bowed his head forward.

"Greetings to the Crown Prince."

"Please rise." Emperor Zhong raised a hand, a gentle smile forming on his lips as he looked at the three of them. "I'm sure you know why I summoned you here. Tomorrow is the commencement of the Warrior Hunt. Knowing that the hunt would take place outside the palace, the Rukki are likely to take advantage of the opportunity to make a move."

The Warrior Hunt took place every spring and was always held on Ya'an Mountain, roughly 300 miles from the Capital, and would last for a week.

"Those beasts have been quiet for months now," Prime Minister Li Qiang said, a faint frown line appearing between his brows. "There's no doubt they are preparing for this day to come." He looked at Emperor Zhong. "Your Majesty, are you sure you want to be present during the hunting?"

A soft sigh escaped Emperor Zhong's lips. "I have already discussed about this, Prime Minister Li Qiang, and I will not change my mind. I've already missed last year's Warrior Hunt due to illness. I cannot afford to miss it again."

It was not strictly necessary for emperors to be present during the Warrior Hunt, but Emperor Zhong always insisted on attending as he wanted to witness the skills of the participants himself.

Emperor Zhong turned his gaze on Ruwen. "It was really a shame I missed how you caught those wild animals, General Ruwen

A sheepish smile appeared on Ruwen's lips. "It wasn't that impressive, Your Majesty. The beasts must have already been weak when I found them."

Jin Ge let out a chuckle. "Humble as always."

"General Ruwen is just shy," Xiuying said, a teasing smile playing on her lips as she glanced at Ruwen.

Ruwen was last year's Warrior Hunt top hunter. The emperor was said to be immensely pleased upon hearing the result of the hunt. Xiuying had always been aware of Emperor Zhong's fondness for Ruwen. He cherished him as if he were his own son. It was understandable given that Emperor Zhong had known Ruwen since he was a boy. After all, Ruwen was the first friend Jin Ge had.

Prime Minister Li Qiang cleared his throat. "Your Majesty."

"Oh, right," Emperor Zhong said and straightened in his seat. "So the reason I summoned you here is to let you know that there's a change in this year's Warrior Hunt." He paused for a moment. "The three of you will stay in the Capital."

Jin Ge and Ruwen traded a quick look of surprise and confusion.

"What do you mean, father?" Jin Ge asked. "We are not to attend the Warrior Hunt?"

"You and Young Lady Hua will be married in a week," Emperor Zhong reasoned, scratching at his beard. "It would be best for you, especially Young Lady Hua, to get some rest before the wedding. You wouldn't want to look worn and weary on your most precious day, would you?"

Compared to Jin Ge and Ruwen's surprised looks, Xiuying's expression barely changed. For some reason, she had already expected this. Although she couldn't deny that there was a slight twist of disappointment in her stomach.

The three of them left the Hall of Divine Lotus after a discussion with the emperor. Ruwen was tasked with guarding the Crown Prince, thus he was also forbidden from attending the Warrior Hunt. Emperor Zhong also mentioned the Rukki's possible appearance during the hunt, which was revealed to be the main reason that led him to this decision.

Just as they were about to reach the gate, a beautiful woman clad in a silken gown entered with quick yet elegant steps. Following behind her were two ladies wearing pale blue robes.

"Mother?" Jin Ge uttered.

Empress Chen suddenly halted and looked at them.

Xiuying and Ruwen bowed in unison.

"Greetings to the Empress."

Empress Chen hardly spared a glance at Ruwen as she focused her gaze on Xiuying. "Is the Prime Minister there?"

"Yes, Your Highness," Xiuying answered.

Empress Chen smiled at her before walking away, her two maidservants scampering after her. Ruwen watched her go. For a split second, a flicker of emotion crossed his features. But when he saw Xiuying looking at him, his face softened into a smile as if telling her that there was nothing to worry about.

The empress's treatment of Ruwen was always a mystery to Xiuying. Compared to how the emperor treated him, Empress Chen almost never acknowledged his presence as if Ruwen were no more than a lowly peasant unworthy of her attention. Yet Ruwen never once touched on the matter. Jin Ge and Xiuying also never once mentioned it.

Today was the start of the Warrior Hunt. Xiuying was seated in front of the mirror, putting the butterfly hairpin into her hair. This hairpin was a gift she received from Jin Ge when they became engaged a year ago. Although their marriage was something their parents arranged, Xiuying and Jin Ge had known each other for a long time, so they had no problem with the arrangement.

A knock came at her door.

"Young Lady," one of her maids called. "His Highness the Crown Prince is here to see you."

Xiuying glanced at her reflection in the mirror before responding, "Let him in."

There was a moment of silence before the door opened. Footsteps approached, and then Jin Ge was standing behind her, looking at her in the mirror. When Xiuying met his gaze, a gentle smile alighted on his lips.

"Ying'er," Jin Ge said so softly it was almost a whisper. "Let's take a walk in the Imperial Garden. Ruwen is already waiting outside with the carriage."

Xiuying smiled. "I was just thinking of going out for some fresh air."

She was about to stand up when Jin Ge extended a hand to her. Placing her hand in his, Xiuying rose from her seat. What happened next was something she didn't expect. Jin Ge lifted her hand to his lips, placing a soft kiss on it. Xiuying stared at him in surprise.

Jin Ge flashed her an innocent smile before letting go of her hand.

Xiuying and Jin Ge were taking a stroll around the Imperial Garden with Ruwen in tow when an eunuch came to approach them.

"Greetings to His Highness the Crown Prince."

"What's the matter?" Jin Ge asked.

The eunuch, with his head still bowed, answered him calmly. "Please accept this servant's apology for disturbing His Highness' stroll, but the Marquis of Changshi has requested to meet General Ruwen in the Phoenix Pavilion."

"Foster Father is asking for me?" Ruwen asked, apparently bewildered.

After receiving Jin Ge's permission, Ruwen took his leave. The eunuch bowed once again before retreating. Now guarded by two soldiers in place of Ruwen's absence, Xiuying and Jin Ge continued their walk around the Imperial Garden.

A few moments later, another eunuch approached them.

"Greetings to His Highness the Crown Prince. This servant is here to pass an order." The eunuch raised his head and looked at them with an unnerving intensity that brought a sudden chill over Xiuying.

Something's not right.

"To kill the Imperial Family!"

At the eunuch's words, the sound of swords being unsheathed reached Xiuying's ears. A tingling dread crept through her body as she turned around in alarm.

"Behind you!" Xiuying warned.

Reaching for the sword dangling at his waist, Jin Ge spun and blocked the sword that came at him. The two soldiers who were supposed to be guarding them turned out to be traitors planted to assassinate the Crown Prince.

When the second warrior moved toward Jin Ge, Xiuying lashed out with one foot, landing a stomping kick at the center of his chest. She hadn't brought her sword with her today, so her hand went straight to her head and took out the hairpin. Without batting an eye, she swung the sharp hairpin, cutting the soldier's face. Caught off guard, the soldier sucked in a breath and staggered backwards. Xiuying snatched the sword out of his hand and pointed it at him.

"The Emperor is dead, and the Crown Prince will be no more." the eunuch announced with a wicked grin. Then his gaze turned to Jin Ge. "The Yuan Clan shall end with the death of its heir."

Warriors appeared one after another -- traitors and allies alike. In seconds, shouts and clanging weapons filled the place as armies of opposing sides clashed. Xiuying and Jin Ge glanced at each other before joining the fight.

However, what followed was even worse.

People with unusual features stormed into the scene like predators seeking their prey and slain the soldiers who were on the Imperial Family's side. They were definitely not Yu warriors, but their distinctive pair of animal-like ears and tails were unmistakable.

Rukki.

The Imperial Garden was soon turned into a battlefield. Blood was everywhere, staining even the purest flowers. Bodies fell to the ground one by one like marionettes with their strings cut.

One of them was Jin Ge.

No...

Xiuying knelt beside her dying betrothed. Jin Ge was lying in the pool of his own blood, his eyelids barely opening as he stared at Xiuying. Around them, the warriors were still fighting, yet it felt like everything went silent as Xiuying looked at Jin Ge.

Her betrothed. Her dear friend.

Tears welled up in her eyes. "Jin Ge, please. Please, don't die."

"Y-Ying'er. I..." Jin Ge's voice was weak and raspy.

"What a lovely sight. Two young lovers, together until death."

At the unfamiliar voice, Xiuying looked up. There was a tall young man with a mischievous smile walking towards them. He had a pair of wolf ears on the top of his head and a thick, black-furred tail on his back. His dark eyes roamed over Xiuying in idle speculation.

"You don't seem to be as harmed as him," the wolfman commented. "He sure did a fantastic job protecting his woman, even at the expense of his own life. What a man he was!"

"Please, save him. Let him live," Xiuying uttered before she could stop herself.

He was an enemy, for sure, yet Xiuying didn't care. The only thing she cared about right now was saving her friend. Even at the expense of her own life and dignity.

The wolfman raised a brow. He stared at her for a moment and then laughed. "You have gone mad, lady. Do you know who you are asking for help?" He stepped into the pool of blood, stopping right next to Jin Ge's body. "Besides, your man is beyond saving."

As soon as those words left his mouth, the wolfman suddenly stiffened. The expression on his face was one of shock and surprise. He looked at Jin Ge and crouched down, the hem of his robe soaking into the puddle of scarlet blood, yet he didn't seem to care. To Xiuying's surprise, the man dipped a finger into Jin Ge's blood and licked it.

"It can't be... Who is he?" the wolfman asked no one in particular. And then, a slow smile crept onto his face. "Turns out I'm a good man, after all. I will grant your wish, lady."

Xiuying's heart thudded.

The wolfman placed a hand over Jin Ge's chest, and a yellowish light appeared on his palm. There was a sound of heavy footsteps and armor clanking as a warrior came charging toward them. The wolfman grabbed Jin Ge's bloodstained sword and flung it at the approaching warrior, stabbing him directly through the chest.

"Alright," the wolfman said as he stood up. "I gave him half of my internal energy, saving him as a result. In exchange, he will serve as a soldier of Marshal Shuren."

A terrible sickening dread came over Xiuying. She groveled and begged to be taken instead, but the wolfman didn't even bother looking at her.

"What have you done, Ying'er?"

Xiuying's heart skipped a beat at the sound of that familiar voice.

Jin Ge was now on his feet, his eyes wide in disbelief as he clutched at his chest. Seeing him alive and well, Xiuying was unable to keep herself from smiling. She pushed herself up from the ground and reached out a hand to him. But before she could even touch him, Jin Ge scurried away, toward a fallen soldier. He pulled the sword from the dead soldier's chest and, without so much as hesitation, stabbed himself in the chest.

Then he screamed.

Xiuying's eyes widened. Even the wolfman stared at Jin Ge in surprise.

"Serve you?" Jin Ge said, his tone dripped with bitterness. With another scream, he pulled the sword out of his chest and dropped it onto the ground with a loud clang. He let out a bitter laugh and glared at the wolfman.

"I'd rather die than serve the likes of you!"

But then, his face went white. He placed a hand on his chest.

"What's happening? Why is my body healing?" He tore his clothes off and looked at his chest. Just like he said, his body was healed. Aside from a spatter of blood, there was no single evidence that his flesh had been stabbed. Not even a scar.

The wolfman stared at him for a second, his eyes shadowed and unreadable, then his lips formed into a vaguely, cunning smile.

"My, looks like I found a treasure. Marshal Shuren will surely reward me."

"Jin Ge," Xiuying called in a quiet voice.

The moment Jin Ge looked at her, Xiuying knew she made a terrible mistake.

"This is your fault, Hua Xiuying. You have cursed me!" Jin Ge's face was contorted with wrath. Xiuying had never seen him this angry before. It was like he became a different person.

The wolfman appeared behind Jin Ge and struck him on the neck, knocking him unconscious.

"Be careful what you wish for." The wolfman winked at Xiuying before hauling Jin Ge over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

As Xiuying watched them leave she felt a sudden sharp pain in her gut. Looking down, a long blade coated with blood protruded from her stomach. A humorless laugh escaped her.

"I guess this is my ending," Xiuying said and she collapsed to the ground.

Before she lost consciousness, she saw a cloaked figure of a man walking toward her.

1