Chapter Six: Incoming (Business) Competitors
33 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

+++ Jonathan Jones +++

Lubola System

Tracked By Pirate Corsair (Small)

Tracked by Void Drone Swarm (Small)

This was a joke.

"Are we fast enough?!" I asked, way too distressed at the incoming sensor contacts toward us. Naturally, I ordered NAV to go do a full-on emergency burn away from them in what amounted to a desperate chase when the two sensor contacts also initiated an emergency burn to chase our ass. Now, our paths looked like a triangle—my Corvette on the run, and the two of them burning to an interception from almost two opposite directions.

"Maximum burn speed has been achieved." Thanks for the doom response, SYS. "And negative, we are not." And for the dry delivery of our possible demise. I held the urge to laugh like a maniac.

"Well…I guess broadcasting my signal again was a mistake," said Juliett over the intercom. Indeed, halfway through, we decided to go "fuck it" and sent both a sensor burst and her signal to hopefully find her drone ships. Turns out, while we were on EMCON, two sensor contacts were nearby. This was the result. "Normally, when this happens, I position myself for a fight. Not a dash to escape."

Why did you have to describe me as a lowlife pussy again?

"Well, we ain't on a fighting ship, tin can. We're on a running ship." I said back.

"I know," well, it seemed like she wasn't fazed with my jabs anymore. "But if we have to, I think we can pilot this ship just well."

"We?"

"Well, more like me, but hey, I think maybe you have some skills."

"How'd you even get that idea?" I literally had no space combat experience except running. That was my style—sneaking, and running. Like some rat hot on the cheese. No point fighting the cat for it, thus, I had no idea how to fight after three months. "I only run."

"Well, from my experience, slimy spacers who run the best are the hardest enemies."

"What? That doesn't make sense."

"At least someone who knows how to fight head-on would have the courtesy for a methodical dance with me. Chasing a pirate rat on the other hand is an infuriating chore. Can you believe it? One time, they were leaving AM fuel in their wake to troll me! Utterly distasteful!"

Ah, the trauma I see. Oh, and again, she did just describe me. Tossing AM fuel tanks to the face of your pursuers was a classic dirty man's tactic. AM fuel was antimatter, you couldn't have a better IED device than that. And when the law was hot on your tracks—well, a little exploding fart behind you wouldn't hurt.

In fact, that's my plan right now.

"Well, would you mind if we do that?" I asked, and there was silence on her side.

"It's dishonorable!" She said indignantly. Oh, yeah. Sure, it was. Leaving IEDs in space like a maniac (especially in planetary orbit) wasn't exactly a decently well-adjusted member of society thing. But hey, who told you that fools like me were honorable?

"Come on, what kind of a moron programmed honor into your code?"

"Well, definitely not you!"

"Alright, suggestions? Because I was banking on throwing them off that way."

"Well, I'm scanning the signal codes of the second sensor contact hot on us. It seems familiar."

"Familiar in what way?"

"I think it's my drone ships." Now that…that was the news that I wanted. Her stuff? Maybe we did have a chance!

"So do we divert course to meet them instead?" I asked, and her logo on the screen almost flickered.

"Are you up for it? You see, we have protocols to not get identified easily. So I'm not sure."

"Well, are you banking on it?"

"Yes."

Well, there was the answer, lads and lassies. The lady said she trusted her intuition. Not that I had much other choice (running while dropping AM IEDs would be kinda moronic, as you needed that shit for hyperspace), so, eh. Gambling time?

Gambling time it is!

"Well, Juliett. We're going for it then. NAV! Plot interception course on that sensor contact. And SYS! Fire off an disruption pulse on those crackheads. Fry their burn drives!"

+++

Booting up Orion Spacefarer Identity Interface…

Name: Jonathan Jones.

Homeworld: Loran (Sagittarius League).

Affiliation: Independent.

Level: 1.

Experience: 300 (+0 Last Chapter).

Skills: None.

Credits: 22,000 Sector Credits (+0 Last Chapter).

Fleet Info—Loading…

ISS Jukebox (Reaper-Class Corvette - League Variant):

Hardpoints:

Small (2x Bow) - 2x Licht PD Lasers.

Small (2x Amidship) - 2x Licht PD Lasers.

Small (1x Stern) - None.

Hull Modifications: Automated Maintenance System, J-Core AI (Level 25) Installed, League Design System (Built-In).

+++

+++ Jonathan Jones +++

After my quick Fed-System check, I looked back at our burn progress toward the second sensor contact. Four PD Lasers…honestly, and this was being generous to myself, I didn't have high hopes. Unless those fools had shitty shields, in which case I could burn through their armor and hull with ease.

Well, considering they are pirates, maybe they do have shitty shields.

I should be quick to prevent any delusions, however. This was a flotilla, so there would likely be three of them, frigate and corvette-sized scallywags. That wouldn't do well for me, not at all. I didn't have any Kinetics mounted on me (as my ship wouldn't be able to house many munitions) to overwhelm and disable their shields.

A three vs one would be my and Juliett's ultimate demise, which I clearly knew. So you could understand why I was tapping my shoes like some child while we waited to intercept what Juliett expected as her "drone ships".

"Anxious?" She asked.

"Shut up," I said back. No need to point it out. This wasn't exactly a very comfortable situation for me. "I really do hope you're right, Juliett."

"Well, it seems likely that my expectations aren't misplaced anyway. They are most likely my drone ships."

"Well, you better be right because there's zero chance in hell that we can outrun them after that course change. They're going to intercept us no matter what."

"Well…we'll do our best regardless," she said, and I nodded. "Have some trust. We'll get through this."

"Yeah, I'm banking on it. Like you."

Our ship continued its burn for multiple minutes toward her "drone ships". I kept checking and checking the conditions of our shield generator and weapon systems in what could only be described as delirious paranoia. It had been a long time since I found myself in trouble, and I suppose the natural instincts did kick in this time.

That raw fear. We were so far from civilized space. There was no one that would save us from this predicament, and they were burning fast toward us. Pirates. They took everything, or they killed you. No in-between.

Thus, running, and running were the only style one must conduct in these situations. In fact, maybe we should have ran instead, because what if she was wrong, and we were straight up burning toward our predator? That would make me a stupid prey!

Come on, have a little faith, you dumbass! Plus, it wasn't like my chances to escape were high if we didn't. No other choice really.

Soon, we were closing in. I gave the order to blast our transponder codes to the sensor contacts. Our sensors also picked them up well enough to finally see what they were. They were two frigate-sized ships, way too unnaturally stealthy in their sensor profile, that identified themselves as a part of the "Void Swarm".

"Void Swarm? That's such a ridiculous name!" I said, which struck a nerve in her.

"At least I don't name my ship the Jukebox! Plus, this is our salvation. I'm communicating with them," Juliett said, and I nodded.

"Well then, it seems like those Pirates are about to crash into the party. Order them to form up for a combat formation."

"I know. Jonathan…" I looked up at the cameras. "If a breach happens, don't try anything stupid."

"Got that."

"Oh…and, transmission incoming." She said, and suddenly, a man with the most hideous implants appeared on my screen. I scowled at it.

"Oi kid, who are you to trespass on our turf?!" He demanded. "Big boss ain't happy now, and someone's gotta pay."

"Yeah, yeah, sure. Degenerate. Identify yourself." I snapped back, and he leaned forward, offended.

"Identify the missiles incoming for you. You're paying, kid."

"Sure, sure. Piss off. SYS, cut that damned transmission now." I took the helm. Goddamned Pirates, but oh well. This would be the best time to see just how her drone ships would perform.

"Juliett, you seem silent."

"I already took control of my drone ships remotely," Juliett replied. Alright, it seemed like I would be the one piloting this rustbucket while she played with those. "Just try to keep up with me."

"Oh, I absolutely will." Though, probably not. But I won't be made a fool in front of her! I took one last check. Yup…here they come.

+++

Engagement Commenced…

Your Ships:

ISS Jukebox (Reaper-Class Corvette)

Allied Ships:

VSS Shine (Exalt-Class Drone Frigate)

VSS Glisten (Exalt-Class Drone Frigate)

Hostile Ships:

ISS Rapier (Log-Class Converted Shuttle)

ISS Tier (Mine-Class Drone Tender)

ISS Bolt (Bungaloo-Class Frigate)

ISS Trifecta (Bungaloo-Class Frigate)

Difficulty Experience Bonus: +25% Base Rate!

+++

+++ Jonathan Jones +++

"God…damn, your drone ships look…"

"They look quite sleek, don't they? I told you. Now just wait till I get my ship back. That would be true majesty!" Ah, she was getting arrogant now. Whatever, I grumbled silently while moving my ship forward. Her drone ships soon moved in formation toward the left, all while we rushed toward the center of our engagement area.

A few more bursts of our sensors, and I could already see a drone swarm headed our way. And of course, the inevitable missile barrage as their opening.

"Hey, do your frigates have point defense?" I asked. "Because those drones are no joke."

"VSS Glisten does. I think we should position my VSS Shine to the center, while we cover the flanks. I have a Photon Lance mounted on the VSS Shine. We can snipe them from a distance," Juliett replied.

"Do you not have missiles?"

"Erm…my drone ships are focused on using their maneuverability to get close and personal. Energy weapons are our specialty, and the closer you are, the nastier it is. Yes, but not much."

"Alright…" Well, she did have a point in that. Unlike kinetics, which when fired, didn't really stop (and would screw your arse even if you dashed a few AUs away), laser beams and other energy weapons had an operating range where they best performed. And as for missiles, well, missiles would run out of range eventually. "Then I suppose we should get close and personal then? I mean, all I have is point defense lasers, but it can help at close range too."

"You sure? Well then, raise your shields. We're going in for a full charge." She declared, and I breathed out to steel myself. Well, full-dumbassery it would be then.

"Well, SYS, get those Licht PD Lasers up and running then. Prioritize missiles and drones. Juliett…let's fuck them up real good."

And with that, we charged forward at full burn. Lord knows what the hell we were doing, but dammit…this would be my first combat experience in space. May it all go well.

This better go well, Juliett, you goddamned tin can!

1