5. Cuddles Questions and Commitments
468 2 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cuddles Questions and Commitments

 

"Well, I'm glad you're alright, I guess. I assume you have questions?"

I fix her with my 3rd best pout, 'what exactly is she 'guessing' about, huh?' and nod my head with a humph. "Maybe we should sit down? As good as I feel right now, this could take a while. Which is a good segue to my first question, actually."

With a dazzling smile, she waves her hand again. This time, a small log cabin forms around us, a cozy fireplace and a single recliner replacing the sterile, not-full-of-needles pod. She pulls me over and sits me in her lap, lightning the fireplace with the same gesture for me to continue. "Right, uuhh, first of all: is it okay for me to be taking so long here? I mean, you said I was summoned, right? They won't, like, try again and pull in some other person, will they?"

"A good place to start," She nods and brings her hand to her chin, contemplating how to answer. "First, as soon as we're done here, I'll be personally descending to erase any and all traces I can find of this ritual. Second, your situation was a massive series of extremely unlikely coincidences. You were cosmically unfortunate to be dragged here how you were."

"Fortunate."

"Hmm?"

"I was extremely fortunate to end up here, I mean. This is everything I've ever wanted.  And the company's not so bad too." I say with a wiggle of my hips, drawing out the reaction I craved with a blush. "Mmm, oh my~, let me answer your questions first, cutie. We can play later~" She whispered with a sultry smile that sent my heart a-fluttering. 

"Ahem, third - we technically have all the time in the world, or at least as much time as my energy stores allow. You know what subspace is, yes?" A small nod of my head had her continue her lecture, "Well, subspace is rather special. You can think of it as a 'layer' of reality, superimposed on the 'base' one. In this layer, time works a bit differently. You no doubt know this, but do you know why?" 

This time, a small shake of my head prompted her. "Hmmm, I think the best way to explain it is in relation to a graph, maybe? Say that "linear space" is the x-axis of our terrestrial layer, and "linear time" is the y-axis. In subspace, or what my people eventually called the soul-realm, those axes are flipped, so to speak. Do you understand?"

She had been looking up into the ceiling with a finger on her chin, saying something way beyond my surface level understanding of dimensional physics. When she finished, she looked down, and my eyes were probably spinning. "Uuuuh... maybe a little? I think? Basically, time doesn't pass, but space does? Sorta?" She answered with another heart-stopping giggle, "Good enough, I suppose. All you need to know is that I've anchored us to a specific point in time-space. You've achieved something similar on a much smaller scale through your machines, if that pocket in your soul is what I think it is."

"Oh, nice! My subspace-pocket worked! I had no idea souls even existed when I made it, though? Hmmm, I just anchored a liminal space between my body in real space and... ooooh, now I get it! Am I a genius or what!?" I was totally not begging for praise from this lady. I'm innocent.

Of course, I was praised despite my completely innocent and humble intentions, "Mhm, you were quite clever for figuring that out, cutie. Good job~ good job~." She intoned softly, patting my head all the while. "Now, that wasn't your only question, now, was it?"

"Hm, hm," I had closed my eyes at this point, just cuddled up and enjoying the warmth I found myself so completely wrapped in. "Second question: what's with the system? I didn't think there would be one, but it's strikingly similar to the one my people used for our games."

"Well, it's the very same here, actually. Just like yours did, my people encountered boredom in their self-imposed longevity and created many 'resort worlds' just like this one, though this one is rather special in some regards. Primarily in that it orbits a white dwarf, which is why it even exists today. Secondly, It was the only one given an 'artificial' administrator along with the original..." She trailed off, sounding slightly timid and just a little lonely. As if afraid some body-hopping-digital-immortal would judge her for her nature.

"Hmmm, did you have levels here? My system might be different due to my nanites, and I'd like to know any advantage or otherwise I might have." If she was surprised by my not mentioning that she was an immortal bio-machine, she didn't show it - save for some of the weight in her velvet voice falling away.

She started to stroke my hair, melting me further into her embrace. "Well, no, we don't. We have Order. This is basically the permissions within the system you've obtained or been granted. It used to be ranked by hierarchy, but that changed when 'innate strength' was implemented. Now, instead of a certain number of subordinates and holdings needed for increasing its level, you just need personal power. 

"It was not very well received by many that played at being kings and lords and such, but the bigger stick did eventually prevail." Her small laugh was colored by nostalgia, as if she was reliving a good but distant memory. "Yours should be Lord rank, correct? Most on Zelldostra are of Mortal rank when they are born. Your body appears to be that of an early adult, so your Lord rank sets you apart as very powerful for your apparent age."

"Uhm," It was quite difficult for me to talk with how sleepy I was getting right now, "I have 2 Order Ranks, actually..." As I said so, I willed through the new connection to show her my status.

"Mhm~. Those born on Zelldostra are born with their bio-chips. It's a part of all of their genetic codes. So, you, being the 3rd with an EX rank, was intended and necessary for you to be introduced into the system. The 'Lord' rank is the representation of your current power level, while the 'EX' rank is representative of your privilege within the system. 

"The levels and skills you possess, though... Hmm... It seems your little machines are smarter than I gave them credit. Your people are either incredibly brave or incredibly proficient in sub-atomic construction to trust such intelligent AtoMachines." I hear a snap, then the rapid tapping of a finger on plastic as she continues, "Yes, that's it. From what I can tell, the 'skills' are simply pre-programmed effects that can be called upon with a thought. While the levels represent a combination of bodily strength and something it calls 'experience'... " She continued to tap away, looking for something deeper in the system, apparently.

"...Well, this solves one mystery: experience is defined further as 'subspace energy parasitized upon target death'."

Huh, I guess that's why I have so much Innate Strength? It seems that my previous levels as Leona were saved? Just not in the way I would like. "So what's with the Level cap then? Do I have a growth limit, then?"

"Hrmmm, yes and no? Maybe? I believe the cap is representative of your current soul strength. If you want to continue past it, you'll first have to reach it, then cultivate to increase it... probably. Think of it as a synchronization ratio between body and soul. Until you reach the cap, any parasitized energy will go towards strengthening and reinforcing your body."

"Yo, wait, what? I'm not, like, eating souls or something, am I?" That would be pretty fucked up, don't wanna stop any potential victims from reincarnating as moths or something. This drew an amused snort from Noelle, and a pat on the head that felt rather condescending. "No not at all, cutie. It just takes a percentage of their strength. Though, I'm not even sure what happens to rest of that energy when they die. Not that it matters. You could, technically, draw some information out of that energy you steal. But that would just give you a shortcut to figuring out their own magic."

"As for the rest of your status, it's fairly normal. Classes used to be just that; Nobles, serfs, servants etc. but with the advent of the soul, things changed. They became less social class and more physical class: Melee-Combatant, Range-Combatant, and Magic-Combatant are the broad types, but many subtypes in one or more categories exist." 

Mhm, this is all pretty typical RPG stuff. I've got a feeling I already know what 'Job' entails, but I'll let her continue just in case. "As for Jobs, that one is even more obvious. It's... well, your job. Any profession not tied to the cultivation of strength can be listed as a job. Everything from accountants, to lawyers, to bartenders, to blacksmiths. The System only serves to categorize and connect people through them. Though you will have a small advantage in that, as well as with your Class. 

"With your 'Growth' System, you can confer upon yourself bonuses related to your choices there. Nothing too big, but small things like increasing skin toughness or manual dexterity without consuming treasures or extensive training are possible."

Geez, I'm a real cheat aren't I? Quick growth as long as I fight, an internal library of knowledge, all of the materials and items I had stored in my subspace (which I'm totally calling my soul-pocket now, way cooler), and the ability to alter my body to be more suited to my chosen profession... This really feels more and more like a New Game + on Casual. The only challenge is that I'm on an ironman save so I've only got one shot at this - but that's just life... well it was a long time ago, I think? Total death became sorta rare back home.

As I go over my advantages in my head, I can't help but get more and more excited for my future adventures. At this point I'm nearly vibrating in excitement, so I ask the most important question yet, "So, when do I start?" My eyes are shining with vigor, I'm ready to get out there and see this New World, but in my excitement I completely miss the sad look in Noelle's eyes."I suppose you can start whenever you like, Xerin..." I did, however, hear the loneliness in her voice and it made me stop short in my imaginings.

I reach out and cup her face in my hands, still sitting sideways in her lap. She raises her brow at this, but doesn't stop me. "I... I-I'd like to see you a-again, Noelle..." Gah, I'm so bad at this serious, mushy stuff, it's never worked out for me. But I'm way too grateful to her for just a casual 'Goodbye, see ya when I see ya'. I hope I can see her again and tell her about everything I'd went through until then.

Her other brow joined the first, apparently surprised at my statement. Before they settled and she gave me her best smile yet. "Hmm~, have I caught myself a little mouse~?" She's trying to act like the serious and mature type, but I can see her pupils shaking with emotion. 

So, with all the daring I have, I pull her face down and give her a lasting, chaste kiss. "Hmmm~, I don't know~ I think I've caught myself an Arbiter, haven't I?" Her eyes gain a serious light and she picks me up, cradling me in her arms. She walks to the corner to a large bed, that I'm sure wasn't there before, and places me down on it to climb on top of me.

"Don't regret this little mouse~ I'll be expecting your visit, and maybe I'll have a little surprise waiting for you when I see you again~."

She locks my lips with hers and presses our bodies together, laying on me completely. I can feel her excitement through her tongue ravishing my mouth and her heat pressing into me below.

"Never," I breathe out when she releases me, and I roll us over to take the lead.

23