13. An Afternoon Stroll and a Date at Dusk
275 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An Afternoon Stroll and a Date at Dusk

 

          The town was a little different at this time. Based on what I'm smelling now, hunters go out in the early morning and return with their gains some time around midday. The main thoroughfare was smothered in the smell of charred meat, blood, and biological waste. Hopefully, any tannery is a bit further removed from the main street than the homes and businesses that are processing all of the day's game. Though, this does bode well for my current task, as I set out specifically to obtain a large amount of professionally prepared meals.

Walking into one of the only dining establishments in town, I sat and waited for the server who seemed a bit surprised to see me again. He approached to take my order, but had a bit of a sour look when I told him of my request. "Sorry, but we really can't waste food like this you know? Winter isn't so far away, and any meal thrown away is one more mouth going empty in a village like this." Well, at least someone finally admitted it was a village.

I shook my head, "No, no, don't worry, it won't be wasted and, if need be, I can go and hunt in the forest for more provisions should the town run short from my requests." While saying so, I summoned my bow into my hand and quickly placed it back, showcasing my storage magic as well as implying my strength with the large longbow. He had a rather difficult look on his face, and studied my confident countenance for what felt like a solid minute. Finally, he spoke, "Well, I guess we can do it for today and you can fill a request of ours for some beasts in those woods later. Otherwise, it won't be happening again. For now, I'll need a deposit that I'll return when you come back from your hunt, including the cost of the meals."

I nodded at this, it was quite reasonable and I wasn't really losing anything. So, I handed him 2 gold coins and asked him to lead me to the kitchen so I could give them the dishes to serve the food on. While I was calling out the plates, the server explained the situation to one of the cooks who looked me over with a critical eye. When I met her gaze, I felt a familiar probing energy trying to dive into my chest but I deflected it, and pushed a small strand of my energy into her in turn. Her eyes widened when she felt my mana, the quality surprising her if I had to guess by the thin nature of her own, and she quickly acquiesced to my request.

Satisfied at the contrite look on the cook's face, I explained that I wanted 1 gold worth of meals or all the plates filled, whichever came first. Receiving a nod from her, I simply nodded in turn and left the kitchen, the server following me out. I reached the table I'd first sat in and the server appeared at my side yet again. "Do you have a preference on the dishes served, miss? And would you like to order anything else in the meantime?"

"Not much of a preference, as long as it tastes good. Oh, heavy on the protein, fat, and carbs, though." This got a raised eyebrow from him, silently asking what the hell I was talking about. "Uuh, ya know? Like meat, cheese, potatoes, bread, rice, noodles? Dishes with any of those, please." He nodded at this and wrote something in a little booklet. "As a matter of fact, can I get a dish heavy on the cheese with some mead, right now? Just take the cost from the deposit I already made. Oh, and you can bring the dishes right when they're ready, of course." He continued to note these things down, eventually nodding again and walking back into the kitchen.

About 5 minutes later I was eating some of the best Au Gratin I'd ever had with some nice honey mead, though that was probably because I had ignored an empty belly while crafting earlier. I told the server that I definitely wanted a lot of this and to send my compliments to the cook. When I finished the meal, some of the prepared dishes started to come out in a steady stream just a few minutes apart. In-between storing them, I had set my nanites to refilling some of my fat stores while I waited for the rest. Roughly an hour after I first walked in, the server approached me with the last plate and a smile. If he had noticed that my chest had filled out while I ate, he didn't mention it. He set the plate down and asked me a question I'd been expecting.

"Excuse me, if you don't mind, could you show me the first dish that was brought out?" With a grin, I summoned the 12 oz. medium rare steak I had received first. He saw the steam wafting off of it, nodded his head and went to hand me a gold coin and a small amount of silver. I shook my head at this and told him to split it fairly between himself and the cooks who had prepared all the meals, and the day after tomorrow I can come for a list of what they might need from the forest. With a grateful bow, he bid me a good day and finally went to serve other customers, busy as he was with my continuous servings.

With my stomach sated and my future meals stowed, I set out onto the town again. It was probably around 5 o' clock now, approaching evening but still a good few hours from dusk. So, with some time on my hands, I decided to solve a problem I had realized while I was enjoying the sumptuously cheesy potatoes. I hadn't bought any drinks! Sure, I had some glass pitchers for water, but that's not nearly the same as enjoying my hot food with a good mead or wine - as I'd just experienced.

So, with such an important task needing doing, I set off back towards the inn I'd left only an hour ago. I quickly arrived and approached the portly woman who was still behind the desk and asked her for a few casks and tankards with which to enjoy them. She gave me an odd look, before informing me that if I wanted a drink, it'd be best to go to the bar - pointing out the door behind her while she said so. Ah, that did make sense of course. I had assumed she was something like a receptionist but now that I look at her more closely, she's probably a bouncer of sorts before anything else. Hell, I think she's passed through the Mortal Realms and might even be physically stronger than the current me.

With an appropriate amount of fluster at my assumptions, I walked through the door behind her and stepped into the quintessential fantasy tavern. That is to say, a bar with a bunch of smelly middle-aged looking dudes who take it upon themselves to stare at every new face that enters their 'sacred domain'. Subjected to the stare of a dozen or so men whom I assume to be some hunters back early from the woods, I rolled my eyes and approached the barkeep who was eyeing me warily while he wiped through a set of glasses. I merely smiled at him as sweetly as I could, which made him even more wary for some reason, and asked after a few casks of liquor and the requisite tankards. I had called out a few gold pieces while I asked, and the tension in his shoulders eased slightly.

'What's this guys deal? Don't tell me he's afraid of me for some reason? Maybe it's just women in general? Poor dude...' Lost in my ruminations, I barely noticed as he produced several small casks of various alcohols with a couple of mugs as well. Shook from my musings, I gave him a look of pity before storing all the stuff he brought out. At the sight of the items disappearing, he stiffened even more and his eyes darted around the room before they settled on me again. His look earlier had been wariness, then confusion when he saw my sympathetic look. It had shifted into a mirrored look of pity and mild concern after my display of storage magic. Confused at this strange interaction, I simply thanked him and left the bar area - ignoring the whispers and stares that trailed after me.

I stepped back into the street and decided to spend the last few hours of daylight exploring the town. A town that didn't have much beyond the main thoroughfare that held all of the shops and businesses. Thus, I decided to circle the edge of the forest that surrounded the town a few hundred meters out to get a better understanding of my surroundings. When I left, I wasn't stopped; as there was only a single guard on the side leading further towards the mountain - and she was asleep anyway. They only had a short fence, maybe about 1 meter tall, surrounding the town that was reminiscent of a wooden cattle fence. I felt that it was more about marking the edges of the living space rather than protecting them from any threats. Neither side even had a gate or anything similar, so I was rather sure of my bet.

Anyway, trekking through the thin underbrush of the outskirts of the forest proved rather easy. I was assaulted by the occasional strong wind that pulled at my hair and cloak, but I simply tucked my hair in and clasped the cloak at my chest. Eventually, after 40 minutes of slowly walking, I reached the road that led away from the mountains. Interestingly, there seemed to be a natural tunnel made of branches and vines leading further into the woods - presumably to the entrance of the windswept valley and beyond.

Curious about the (un)natural passageway, I approached one of the guards sitting at a table playing cards near the opening of the fence. When I asked, they all gave me a strange look but explained nonetheless. Apparently, a long time ago, the first inhabitants of this land were Spriggans - old forest spirits born of the tempestuous union of wind and wood, supposedly. A deal was struck for more corporeal beings to build this village and they ensured safety for the travelers braving the intermittent winds by erecting the barrier on the road. As it's a natural growth of wood and vine, it needs no upkeep and is technically a single, impossibly old, organism.

No one knows when or why, but sometime in the distant past the Spriggans, as well as many of the 'spirit-folk', as they call them, that floated about the land, disappeared. Some can still be found today, but they are rare and secretive. Preferring their own people to the open communities of the past. I suspect this has some connection to why Noelle was left here alone, but I have no real information to work off of. Besides, she probably knows the history of this world better than some oral traditions passed on through millennia, so I'll just ask her and hope she wants to talk about it.

Thanking the guards for sharing, I left to continue my circuit around the village. When I had made a full loop, the sun was dipping rather low in the sky. Not quite sunset but less than half an hour till.

Thus, I reentered the town and found some outside seating at a place near the craft-twins shop. I was quietly waiting and fiddling with a puzzle cube I had made decades ago when I saw the door open and a customer walk out. Sunset had just started and the candle kept in the window had been blown out as that last customer left. So, I finished off my tea and approached the closed door. With a smart knock on the door, I announced my presence and tried to guess which color would greet me. I had my hopes on the icy blue eyes peering past the door, if only to have my fun a bit early, but alas; I was instead graced by the vibrant pink of her mischievous sister.

The more playful gnome swung the door open with gusto. Claudia was dressed in simple linens and a form hugging leather apron, the picture perfect blacksmith. Her tanned skin that nearly hides her freckles and the defined muscles she's built through years of the craft only complimented the artisanal appearance of the short and stocky woman.

Offsetting the powerful aura of a long time smith, her sister stood off to the side demurely with a small frown on her pretty face. Nadia was dressed differently from before, in nicer clothes, as if expectant for the night - though I don't think she'd admit it. She wore a light-green long-sleeved shirt with a shallow V-neck that showed just a hint of collarbone, and a pleated skirt of the same color that fell just above her knees; the sheer white stockings, and brown leather shoes and belt complimented the outfit well.

Claudia was the first to speak, "Xerin! Was just startin' to think of ya! Though, Nadia's been wringin' her hands all day, hahaha!" and a boisterous laugh followed her teasing. Nadia, at being exposed for just how eager she was, blushed impressively. "Oh~, how lucky, to think that such a cutie was waiting so passionately for me." I approached her and patted her head, her blush deepening and her expression finally cracking. With slightly moist eyes she looked up at me, and was startled at the new height difference. "H-have you gotten taller, Xerin?" Her cute voice was shaking as she spoke, though, thankfully the surprise at my growth had taken the edge off of her indignation and embarrassment at her sisters teasing.

Said sister was still grinning at Nadia's maidenly behavior when she inspected me more carefully, "Hoh~ Now that'ya mention it, she did! You're a hand taller at least! How in the hells did'ya do that?" Hmmm, I'll probably need to explain myself quite a few times, now that I think about it. Shall I just tell a partial truth? Just translate it into fantasy-speak, maybe? "Well, it's a long story, and quite sad. But the short of it is that I was cursed and recently that curse has been undone. So my body is just playing catch up to the rest of me, you could say." When I told them of my 'curse' I had expected questions and pity. Instead, they gave me an empathetic look and simply nodded their heads.

I was still patting Nadia's head and Claudia had joined me in spoiling the shy woman, much to her chagrin. After a minute of hugging and patting Nadia squirmed a bit, the spoiling going on for a bit too long - even for her. We both stopped and backed away, chuckling as Nadia spoke again, *Ahem* "S-So, shall we go have some food? I'm rather famished." Her voice returning to its cold and formal tone halfway through. 'Such a cutie~.' Claudia laughed again and went to the back to wash up and change before we go, leaving me alone with her sister.

"You're looking rather cute, Nadia~. Did you make those clothes yourself?" I was genuinely curious, the question not solely focused on flustering her. Though, fluster her it did. "Y-Yes, thank you for the compliment, Xerin. I'm quite proud of my craft." Her voice only slightly shook but her ears were twitching pretty fast. "Oh no~, you misunderstand." As I spoke, I closed the distance between us and pressed our bodies together. "The clothes are cute, yes. But, they only serve to highlight your gorgeous features, Na~ di~ a~."  If not for my finger under her chin, her face would have been buried directly in my bust.

I swear I could see a small puff of steam escape her head as her icy blue eyes melted and stared up into mine. Just before I leaned down to steal a kiss, I saw Claudia approaching from behind but stayed silent. I merely smiled sweetly at the stammering girl that was opening and closing her mouth like a fish. Right as she seemed to gather her will to reply, her sisters strong arms encircled the both of us, laying atop the thinner arms already around my waist.

"My, my~. Should I be jealous?" Who exactly Claudia should be jealous of was unclear, but her sister shook her head quickly. Eventually, as if trying to hide herself, Nadia buried her head into my chest while literally quaking in her boots. Claudia leaned into her ear and whispered something I couldn't quite hear. I did, however, catch a praising tone that seemed to exacerbate her shivering and eventually relax her completely.

Claudia looked up at me, a glint in her eye and a blush barely shown on her dark skin, and spoke in a low, sultry tone. "Shall we skip dinner tonight~?" Nodding my head vigorously, I scooped the twins up into my arms. Both let out a low moan at my casual display of strength and started lavishing my neck with their tongues, as eager to start the night as I was. So, with a flower in each hand, I ascended the stairs to their room and immersed myself completely in guilty pleasures.

***

After several hours of fun, night had well and truly fallen. I could only praise my fortune, and sent a silent thanks to Noelle and Alyx for making this at all possible. I then opened my system to take advantage of what should be a calm night and my current lack of clothing to enhance my body a bit more but, sadly, I had forgotten that I had spent my available points just half a day prior. With a sigh at the wasted night, I had to remind myself that I was not in any real rush. These things will come with time and all I had to do was enjoy my new life here. So, in order to immediately make good on that sentiment, I pulled the little darlings closer and drifted off to sleep.

13