Chapter 3. Escape.
37 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The time seemed to have stopped. Being frozen I closed my eyes waiting for everything to end up and people to leave away. It seemed that it’s been ages.

I heard the people talking and swearing, and some were even crying.

I don’t know how long my condition lasted, but at some moment men’s voices have grown distant, so I summoned all my courage and looked around. In my pose I couldn’t see anything from underneath the flora. Afterwards I rose  hardly hooking the branch with my claws and unhurriedly came up to it’s edge. Looking down I could see neither people nor my mother and considered it a good chance to get the hell out of here.

It was clear to me that the mother became these people’s harvest the same as brothers and a sister. I had no one to rely on except myself.  The only suitable plan was to run and hide. But it should be done carefully, without any noise. In order not to attract additional attention. Moreover, since then people are not the only possible danger. Mum is dead, and no one else would defend me from forest’s inhabitants.

Slowly I climbed down the tree and hid behind it. I peered out and looked in the direction where the people's voices were still coming from. Once I was sure I could get away safely, I started to move slowly, but suddenly some sound caught my attention. When I turned around, I saw another baby cub coming down from the tree next to me, the one that had been lucky enough to survive. It was the same sister who liked to bite my ear. Waiting for her would be too risky. There was a chance that someone had spotted her, or perhaps a person might have heard her and was coming this way right now. For when she was coming down, she was whining softly, as if asking me to wait. And even though I knew the risks, I didn't dare leave her.

As I got closer, I started to wait for her to come down. When she finally did it I was about to run, knowing that she would follow me. Suddenly I heard a person very close by. When I turned around, I froze with fear. A girl was looking at us holding a weapon called a bow with an arrow drawn in the bowstring. I recognised this weapon for in the stories that Nurse Tanya had read to me in my dreams there were pictures of a warrior shooting with it.  I knew very well how dangerous this weapon was for us.

—Didn’t expect to see something like this. The little baby monster comes back and waits for it’s kin instead of running away. – Kaila said staring at these two monsters.

I got confused and the fear chained me. I hadn’t got a single idea what to do. Suddenly my stupid sister jumped out obstructing me with her body and tried to snarl. At that moment there was a thought in my mind that this fool would definitely not survive with this kind of behavior. In a situation like this the best outcome is to run as far away as possible without looking back. But this idiot doesn't seem to be able to do that. Whether her instincts are wrong or her stupidity is greater than her nature.

I came up to my sibling, bit her ear and pulled her away defending.

—Indeed. Bizarre. Even so happens among the monsters. –Kaila smiled and took the arrow back to the quiver.

Unexpectedly behind the girl there appeared another guy that called her, looking at gwells’ cubs.

—Ah, these are the remained ones. – the guy said.

—Don’t hurt them! Let them go.

—Let them go? What do you mean, Kaila?

—I said – let them go.

—But...

—I noticed them, so I let them go. We’ve already got the mother and the cubs. Let at least these ones go away.

—Are you joking me?

The girl turned to the guy and gave him a stern look.

—Hans has died thanks to his greed. If you follow his steps, you will end the same way.

Keeping quiet he turned and left. Then Kaila looked at two little gwells once again and waved her hand, chasing them away.

Men’s language is different from the one I got used two in my dreams. I didn’t what these people were talking about, but then one of them left and the other started waving his hand to us. I don’t really understand what’s happening, but there is no sense in missing this chance. I ran back to the tree looking back to see if my sister is following me. After I made sure about it we continued to run.

It took us pretty long, although I am sure that we wouldn’t run away so far with such little paws like ours. But we’ve already been out of limit, so I decided to have a rest. And the best to relax is to climb up some tree. So we did.

I guess we’d better leave the forest in order to survive.We have to find either another one or some cave, preferably away from people. But it can wait until tomorrow. The sun is getting late here, and night forest is a very dangerous place, especially for kids.

2