Chapter 1: An Unlikely Request
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The morning breeze pressed against his face as the young farmer looked across the vast acres of his land. The wind made the wheat flow back and forth like waves pressing on a beach. He paused his wood chopping to admire what lay before his eyes. The work he had accomplished making this vast sea made him smile. Father would be so proud.

At this thought, he remembered his father’s favourite words, “Get to work asshole!”

And almost immediately he went back to chopping his firewood for the winter.

He raised his axe above his head and brought it down with force on a log, but as the axe struck the head of the log instead of breaking it in half, he struck down on a frightened young lad, no older than him, who was holding a small wooden training sword above his face.

The young recruit struck down on the lad again and again and again. The lad’s pitiful screams brought laughter from the rest of the recruits which hid his cries for help. The recruit only stopped his assault when his own training sword broke in half. Splinters of its remains flew across the mud. The rage inside the recruit slowly died down as he stared at the whimpering mess beneath him. His stomach felt heavy and then the heaviness went to his throat and he found himself letting that heavy feeling leave his mouth and nose which sank into the dark blue waters below him, disappearing within the waves.

The newly appointed sergeant looked up and saw the stormy waves crash against the ships sailing alongside his own. He tried to count how many there were in an effort to calm his stomach but to no effect. He reached to seventy ships before hurling his insides again. Not much longer

He thought. They had departed several days prior, an entire naval fleet prepped and ready for war. His legs shook. He was not sure if it was from fear or from the rocky ship. We’ll win in no time. One battle and then I can go back home.

He turned away from the railing and started the rocky walk back to his cabin. Then suddenly the ship jerked under his feet, causing him to lose balance and fall flat onto his back. The landing was soft though. Around his face, he could feel wet mud instead of hardwood on the back of his head. He looked at the sky to see a tall figure standing above him with a sword raised in the air.

Almost out of instinct, the bloodstained captain rolled over to the left to avoid this death blow striking down on him. He found his footing again and waited for the next attack. The sounds of battle blasted into his ears and beads of sweat rolled down across his face. The behemoth before him let out a blood-curdling roar that left all those around him standing terrified. The captain charged at the monster with his sword held low. It raised its sword high into the air once again, just what the captain wanted. He swung at the unguarded belly of the beast ripping it open. The dripping red smile then showed a long, tangled tongue which fell to the floor in a steaming pile of gore. Exhaustion overwhelmed the captain and he fell to his knees. Why is this war going on for far too long that it has to? When will we win?

He looked down at his knees and saw the ash that jumped into the air from his fall. He wondered why there was ash instead of mud and looked up to discover the answer.

The veteran watched as the flames spread across the hills in a frenzy. Sorrow gripped his heart and tears dripped down from his cheeks. The once vast and beautiful sea that he treasured was now a burning inferno that spread far over the hills. Red and orange sparks danced their way high into the air seemingly taunting and mocking at how easy it was to destroy all he had worked on. He stared down at the black corpse he held in his arms. It was so burnt that he did not know which body of his family he was crying over. It slowly turned its head to him and sent sheer terror into his heart as it spoke one word.

“Murderer.”

From that, he awoke. He sat up straight in his bed, sweating and breathing heavily. He looked down expecting to see the black corpse again. He let out a sigh of relief as he just the wolf pelts he slept under. He wiped away the sweat from his brow and stepped out of bed. From his window, he could hear the usual chatter of the people and the screeching wheels of wagons passing by. He closed it to drown out the noise.

“That’s the third nightmare this month. Why is it still haunting me?” He asked himself. He looked across the room like it would give him the answer.

His growling stomach reminded him of what time it was. He opened his window and looked at the sky above. The sun was nearing midday and he swore at himself for letting him miss out on nearly a full day of work. He put on a simple cloth shirt and trousers with his usual leather boots.

As he walked down the stairs he noted that the inn was quieter than usual. It didn’t bother him. In fact, he preferred it to be quiet. He looked at the innkeeper cleaning his mugs and asked for the regular bread and sausage. The innkeeper simply nodded and returned to his cleaning.

He sat down at one of the many empty tables and waited for his meal. Not long after, a maid came by and placed the meal down in front of him. He smiled at her and thanked her for her work. She bowed and walked away giggling. He remembered how she would always giving him an extra serving of sausage and saw that she did not fail to do so again this time either.

“Thank you again Mei!” He shouted over to the kitchen hoping she would hear. A loud crash of cooking ware let him know that she did hear him.

The nightmare of the previous night kept him company while he ate. He remembered every event that played out to the finest detail. He kept pondering on it that he did not notice the person sitting opposite him. A snap of this person’s fingers brought his attention.

“Oi! Ye should eat yer meal faster or it’ll get cold.” He said with a cheeky smile on his face.

Our man said nothing back and just stared at this uninvited visitor at his table. But this fellow had a point and he started eating his meal again.

The visitor waited a while longer before realising that a reply was never going to come, “The name’s Feldo. How be ya this day?” He waited again for a reply and again received none.

“I’m new here and I be looking for some fine and strong warriors such as yerself to be a part of my party. What say ye?”

“I say leave being an adventurer before it swallows you whole.” He replied disinterestedly.

“Ah, he speaks. Thought fer a moment ye was a mute. So I be taking it that ye don’t want no being a part of me offer?”

He stared at Feldo with a blank expression and asked, “When did you become an adventurer?”

“Oh, about three days past. Always wanted to explore since I was a wee lad.” He chuckled like he remembered an old joke.

“Do yourself a favour and leave now. Find another job.” He stood from the table with his plate and walked over to the bar counter.

“Why? Don’t seem that bad to me.” Feldo followed him to the counter as he spoke.

“Because you’ll be dead before coming home to hand in your first quest.”

“Who are ye to tell me that?!” Anger and irritation fueled his words and he laid a hand on his sword.

Just before a reply could come, the door to the inn slammed open. Four men dressed in plate armor and red cloaks walked in one after the other. After them, came a person with a red ribbon spreading down his chest and around his waist. On this ribbon was a gold badge that sat directly over where his heart would be. Immediately he was pointed out as the leader.

Feldo mumbled to himself in awe, “The Royal Guard. What could they be wanting in this place?”

One of the guards in plate spoke with a commanding voice, “We are looking for a man named Raynor! We last received word that he was staying in this very inn. So if you have knowledge of his whereabouts speak up now!”

Our man at the counter kept his back to them as he asked, “Which Raynor? That’s a common name in this place.”

The man with the ribbon spoke, “Raynor Ironjaw. You know him?”

Before he could answer Feldo spoke up, “Ya mean the legendary adventurer? Well, bad luck mate. He wouldn’t be in a place like this.” Feldo felt a hand on his shoulder from coming from the man at the counter with him.

He spoke towards the plated men, “What do you want?”
Again the man with the ribbon answered him, “Official royal business. You’ll find out when you speak with her majesty the Queen.”

“Fine. Lead the way captain.” Raynor left Feldo in shock and amazement. Before he left the inn, he could hear Feldo swearing himself at his own stupidity.

Raynor approached the plated men and together they left the inn. Outside was a wagon with several more plated men on horses beside it. Raynor was unsure if this was a royal escort or a prison transfer.

“So what does the Queen want with me? My help or my head?” The distaste was clear in his voice along with his words.

“Speak to her in that tone and it very well may just be the latter. And I do hope it is.” The captain replied as he helped Raynor enter the wagon.

As Raynor sat in the back of the wagon he noted how the plated men sat on either side of him. Am I being summoned or sent to prison?

He started to wonder if the latter was true as soon as they turned right onto the hill leading to the palace. 

This road was known for its merchant shops all alongside it going all the way to the palace gates. Through a small crack between the wood of the wagon, Raynor recounted the times he visited each shop. It was essential for any aspiring adventurer to at least visit one of these shops. The weapons, armour, medicines and other wares were of the highest quality along this road. But most dismiss this road of wealth because of the greedy shop keepers that owned them. Many would much rather go someplace elsewhere it was cheaper. Those who did often died in the field. Raynor knew this from experience. 

Raynor looked out at these shops busy as ever. Mason's Bottled Miracles was especially busy. A crowd of people had gathered outside with heavy bags hanging from their belts. Raynor would have been in that crowd if he had not slept in. I suppose I should be thanking the Royal Guard. 

Next came Bor's Battle Winners. As usual displays of finely crafted and ornamented swords, daggers, maces, axes, and bows were lined up outside. Once again a clever move Bor, Raynor thought. By displaying highly valued wares Bor attracted the most customers which allowed him to dominate the weapons market. Raynor remembered the first sword he bought from Bor. He had walked in asking for the worst sword in the store which left Bor dazzled. After some searching, Bor presented Raynor with a simple iron blade. Bor explained to Raynor that it would not survive one fight because no one had ever used it in years and that the rust was proof of that. Raynor had just simply listened and almost immediately handed over the money for it. Now it's one of the most legendary swords in Gaia.

Right next to Bor's shop was Risa's Life Savers, a shop that specialised in armour. Raynor looked away from the sight with guilt. Risa probably hasn't forgiven me yet.

Raynor had a small romance with her once long ago but he stopped seeing her and didn't even send a letter explaining why. If he had to walk into her shop now, she would smash his head in with the massive hammer she keeps up on display above her counter. To scare potential thieves or impress new customers or to use as a testing ram, no one knew why she keeps that monstrosity. 

Pretty soon all sight of buildings disappeared and water was all Raynor could see. The moat was not like any other ordinary moat. Its length was equal to one hundred men standing shoulder to shoulder against each other and along the walls were bodies hanging from a noose or nailed into its side, and swimming in Itsit were corpses still fresh and leaking. They were the corpses of traitors and criminals. The blood that dripped from them turned the moat a deep dark red. The people gave it the name The Queen's Bath due to the rumour that the queen practised blood magic to keep her face looking young.

Now right in front of the wagon was the palace. Raynor did not know whether to be honoured for being one of the rare few to see what is inside, or to be afraid that he was never going to see anything else.

The Royal Guard escorted Raynor out the wagon and onto the palace grounds. Raynor looked around to see more plated men around the courtyard all standing in formation with spears in their hands. They walked together to surround Raynor on either of his sides. The thought of prison was now booming inside Raynor's.

Then suddenly his vision went black and all he could see was small holes of light peering through the roughly woven sack. His arms were pinned behind his back and he felt someone pushing him forward, indicating he should walk. Raynor knew he had no choice but to obey and so he walked.

The heavy metal clanking was all he could hear in his little sack. Occasionally he would make out whispers but not what they were about. The man pushing him then turned his body right and had Raynor walk into a marble slab.

“Ow! Who's the blind one here huh? Me or you?” He cursed to those around him.

He was met with silence. Raynor praised their discipline. Usually, a man would retort back to Raynor but not the Royal Guard. They were trained to speak only when spoken to and when they were to deliver a message to someone. Their cold silence mirrored their cold emotions.

Raynor was motioned forward again and he felt another marble slab under his foot. He now knew that they were going up some steps and almost cursed himself for blaming the guards. Mute men can do little to alert others to their surroundings.

As they all walked up the steps, Raynor grew more anxious about why he was summoned. All possibilities rose about in his head but only one rose above the rest. He kept hoping that it was not so.

They seemed to climb forever before making another turn. Raynor struggled to breathe in his sack and was close to fainting before they stopped altogether. The sack was pulled off of his head and light shot into Raynor's eyes stinging him for a bit. He gave himself a moment to adjust and as things became more clear he began to get an idea where he was. 

The room was larger than anything else Raynor had ever seen. Pillars adorned with roses were lined along all sides of the chamber. From the ceiling hung huge banners of red and black with a rose in its centre. Balconies seemed to come out of everywhere with no apparent pattern. Everywhere Raynor looked was just marble and roses and as he looked towards the end of the chamber he saw a massive chair with two smaller ones placed on either side of it. This was the throne room. Behind the thrones was one giant window which was the main source of light in this room. Raynor was able to see half the city from where he stood.

As he walked forward to the thrones he noticed the person occupying the middle. Her skin was fair and looked smooth. Her hair fell down to her waist like a waterfall. It's deep dark crimson made Raynor feel uneasy as the realisation hit him. This young woman was the queen.

Whereas most men would have been bewitched, all Raynor felt was hatred. He tried his best to keep it in check but the glances from the Royal Guard alerted him that he was not trying hard enough.

“Are you Raynor Ironjaw?” A voice asked him. He looked at the man who spoke and was grateful to him for being another face he could look at instead of hers.

By the way he was dressed Raynor knew he was a noble. He was wearing a fur collar, a white silk shirt, and black silk trousers. He wore no jewellery which made it easy for Raynor to identify him. The Lord of the West District and Master of Silk, Kero Mane.

“Yes, I am, Lord Mane.” Raynor politely replied. The shuffling of feet could be heard around the throne room. Raynor looked around and saw more fancy dressed nobles move about on the terraces.

“Excellent. I’m going to get straight to the point Ironjaw, we want to hire you.” Lord Mane asked with little enthusiasm. The disinterest in his voice seemed to echo around the room and mirror how everyone else felt.

“Alright. For what?” Raynor replied cautiously.

“A simple one. We want you to deliver something for us.”

“If I may, what am I delivering?”

“ That is not of your concern.” Raynor noticed the venom in Lord Mane’s eyes and voice and thought it best not to pry.

“Fine. What about the rest of the details?”

A smile stretched across Lord Mane’s face which somehow put Raynor at ease. Seeing this new welcoming face was like a small light in a dark room, “Yes yes yes, you’re thinking about the pay. You adventurers are all the same.”

Lord Mane chuckled lightly after saying this. Raynor did not know if he should chuckle along or stay silent at that last remark. Instead, Raynor just smiled like he never heard it.

Lord Mane continued, “We’ve taken expenses into consideration such as supplies, inns, and the sort, and we’ve decided to leave you with payment of ten thousand gold.”

Raynor had to bite down on his tongue to keep himself from shouting. Ten thousand gold for an adventurer’s job is considered just a little bit above way too much money. Raynor almost choked on his own blood in an effort to keep his composure. After a short while, Raynor finally spoke, “Ten thousand gold? For a delivery?”

“Yes, we understand Ironjaw. Now for the rest of the details. You will leave as soon as you are able and you will take the main road East to Hellsport along the coast. There you will take a ship east to Argasia where you will deliver the shipment. Your escort will take it from there and you can return home for your pay.” Once Lord Mane was finished, the entire room went quiet.

Raynor thought about it. It all seemed too suspicious. A mysterious package, taking the road east, sailing to Argasia, and an escort along the way? How stupid do they think I am?

“How large is the shipment?” Raynor asked.

“Well, it's about thirty crates.”

Now it was Raynor's turn to chuckle. Now it was all clear to him. War supplies. They want me to deliver war supplies.

Seriousness returned to Raynor as he spoke, “Fifty thousand and I'll do it.”

The sudden uproar shattered the once peaceful silence. All the nobles among the terrace cursed at Raynor calling him a thief and a fraud. Raynor stood through it all. He noticed the expression of amusement on the queen's face before looking away.

“Are you mad Ironjaw?! Don't you know that we have a war to fight?! That money could be used for something more important!” Shouted a large man in full armour with a beard that covered his neck making his head look as if it was floating on a bush. Raynor was able to easily point him out as well. It was the Lord of the East District, and Master of War, Argosius “The Scar” Mandion. 

Raynor turned to look at him and replied with equal intensity, “If you were willing to spend ten thousand gold on one man at the beginning of the war, we wouldn't be losing it now!”

The room went silent for a moment. Raynor looked back at Lord Kero and caught a glimpse of a smile on the Queen's face. Lord Kero studied Raynor before speaking, “Care to explain why Ironjaw?”

“Clearly what you're shipping is very important if it has to go to Argasia. I'll need to hire a team.”

“We will give you an escort.” Lord Mane quickly interrupted. 

Raynor cleared his throat to indicate his disapproval before continuing, “ I need people I can trust with the shipment. Which is why I want to hire my own escort and we won't be taking the main road East, we'll be taking the River East. But to do that, I'll need to book passage and the man who owns the river is expensive. Each person I have in mind has their own parties so I need to make sure that the offer includes them too. As for the ship East, it will have to be a smuggler willing to travel East and money can easily persuade them. I'll also need to pay for more supplies if I want my team. That's why I want fifty thousand.” 

Raynor looked at Lord Argosius with that last part. The smug look he gave the War Master sent him out the room.

Lord Kero looked at the rest of the lords gathered before answering Raynor, “Deal.”

Almost immediately after, the sack was put over Raynor's head again.

Raynor let out a sigh of relief as he was escorted down the stairs. He found it odd that he was chosen for this quest. If they wanted to send more supplies to the East then they could have used normal soldiers to escort it or even the Royal Guard. Why did they hire me, an adventurer? 

This question pondered his mind until the sack was suddenly ripped off his head. The shining rays of light ambushed his eyes causing him to close his eyes and lower his head down in pain. He slowly opened them again and looked around him. The thick red waters of the Queen's Bath surrounded him. Raynor nearly vomited when he saw the countless corpses floating around in the water. He would have truly vomited if the aroma of roses had not saved him. For the first time, Raynor understood why they called it the Queen's Bath. 

He turned around to see the Royal Guard heading back inside the palace gates except for the Captain. He stood there staring at Raynor. Raynor, sensing hostility, quickly made his way down the drawbridge to escape the Captain's gaze. Once Raynor was hidden among the busy crowd did the Captain head inside the palace and the drawbridge was raised. 

He walked through the streets of Rona the capital city of the human kingdom of Rodes the biggest kingdom west of the Divide, a great ocean which currently separated the two warring nations of Argasia and Rodes. Since its founding, Rodes only knew growth and prosperity. Food seemed overly abundant and wealth was created through the exporting of silk, cloth, and other textiles. It was a peaceful nation. Raynor suspected if that is why Rodes was losing the war.

Now the city and kingdom were close to ruins. Peasants had a hard time trying to make a living, thieves and bandit groups grew numerously, and the current famine struck hard on the people. The northern farming district was burned to ashes from an Argasian raid.

Raynor walked past a trio of beggars sitting in front of a warehouse. He took out a silver coin for each and tossed it at their feet. They picked them up without haste and gave Raynor a nod as thanks. Raynor looked at them for a while longer with pity and wished them better fortune. 

Raynor passed more beggars as he took a turn into River Street. This street acted as a home to many of the city’s beggars as well as their hunting grounds. Rona had situated itself around a wide river making the transporting of goods easier. River Street is the docking place for all ships coming and going carrying valuable goods. An ideal spot to beg for leftovers and items that broke during transport. 

Raynor never spent too much time around the shipyard because of one man. A successful pirate and an old friend by the name Carcillo Reed. Carcillo trained with Raynor when they were both recruits ten years ago. When they both left the army for good, Carcillo refused Raynor’s offer to become an adventurer with him. Raynor had no idea that he was planning a life of piracy and when he found out he tried his best to avoid Carcillo. Being friends with a pirate would not look good for a legendary adventurer. But now, Raynor had no choice but to see him. If Raynor needed safe passage down the River East he would have to bargain with its owner.

Carcillo became known as the “Man Who Owns The River” to businessmen and nobles but among the people, he was known as the “River Pirate”. This was thanks to his reputation of meeting with merchants, agreeing to transport their wares, and then stealing the most valuable items from the shipment. How he has not been arrested yet remains a mystery although rumours say he has the entire River Street Patrol paid off. The River Street residents also don’t wish to take him down. Carcillo provided them with food, safety, and entertainment. It was the latter that disgusted Raynor the most.

He stopped in front of the Holy Maiden brothel. A disgraceful name for a disgraceful place.

Is what Raynor thought. He knew Carcillo would be in here. After all, he was the owner and women was his second favourite thing in the world. Even when Raynor and he were recruited, Carcillo would spend his free time in the healing tent charming the nurse. Raynor stepped inside and the scent of perfume and smoke enveloped him. The only noises he could hear were the laughter of men and the distant moans of women. Raynor ignored them all and made his way to the stairs. Just before he could move any further a huge man blocked his way. Raynor looked up into his scarred, hairy face and politely demanded, “Move. I’m here to see him.”

He said nothing back and kept staring at Raynor until a voice above him said, “Let him through Jonothan. He’s an old friend.”

Raynor saw him standing at the top of the stairs. Carcillo smiled down at Raynor as he walked up the stairs. Carcillo closed the door behind them and motioned Raynor to take a seat while he took the opposite. The room was small with only a mahogany desk, two armchairs, and a single window. Despite its size, it was clear that Carcillo spent time and effort on its homeliness. A canvas was painted all around the walls depicting a garden full of naked and beautiful women except for one. This woman wore a plain white dress and had a single tear flowed down her cheek. 

Carcillo noticed Raynor staring at her and said, “You like that one huh? I do too. She reminds me of someone I met years ago.”

Behind Carcillo’s cheerful, light voice there was clear sorrow hidden like a widower remembering his lost beloved.

Raynor simply replied, “I just thought it was odd considering whose wall she’s on.”

Carcillo smiled at Raynor as he spoke, “It’s been a long time hasn’t it, Raynor?”

“It has. Almost ten years Carcillo...”

Carcillo put a hand up before Raynor could say anything more. “Please call me Carso. It’s more fitting for me.”

Raynor did not care what he was called. He just wanted this conversation to go quickly. Despite the door being locked, the walls were still pretty thin.

Carso sighed before continuing, “So, how’s the adventurer’s life working out for you?”“Working just fine. I make enough for 3 meals a day and a room to sleep in. Couldn’t be better.”

“Although that’s not what you want...is it?” 

Raynor looked down with guilt. Carso was right after all. Raynor had been an adventurer for longer than he had wanted. What he did want was his own farm again where he could live out his days peacefully. Becoming an adventurer was only meant to be a temporary thing so that Raynor could save enough money to start a farm.

Once they were each seated in an armchair, Raynor finally answered, “No. It’s been a bit rough lately.”

“Ahhh, so that’s why you’re here now. You want someone to make it all a little easier to bear?” A cheeky smirk grew across Carso’s face. He knew how much brothels and whores irritated Raynor.

Raynor did not answer. Instead, he stared at Carso with burning hate. This seemed to work as Carso quickly spoke again, “A joke! A poor one I’ll admit, but a joke nonetheless.”

“I didn’t come here for any of your girls. I came here for you…”

Carso chuckled, “My my Raynor. I had no idea you were into men.”

Raynor ignored him and kept speaking, “I came here to ask for your help. I need your ships and the East River Route. I’m escorting a shipment.”

“And what is it you’re escorting?”

Raynor hesitated. He was not sure if he should reveal the shipment’s contents. But he answered anyway because Carso would not allow Raynor to use his ships for shipping something unknown to him. Too many risks for Carso tastes. Raynor spoke, “Supplies bound for Argasia.”

“I thought we both agreed that we were done with the Royal Army, Raynor. Why are you working for them?”

“We did. But the years and fifty thousand gold can change one’s mind.”

Carso sat silent for a moment before erupting into a burst of stunned laughter, “Sweet hell Raynor that’s enough to make you a noble! I do hope you’re not keeping it all for yourself.”

Now it was Raynor’s turn to smile, “I was planning to split it five ways.”

Carso jumped from his chair and quickly walked over to his desk, “Raynor, if I’m one of those five then you can have my whole goddamn fleet and the entire river!” He said as he took out some paper from a drawer.

“You were one of the people I had in mind…”

Carso interrupted him, “And who else?”

“Bor. He’s a good fighter and I owe him. He’ll definitely call us even if I ask him to come along.”

Carso spoke as picked up his quill, dripping with ink, and started writing something on the paper, “All brawn and no brains. Smart choice.”

“Axil Featherhands. Good ranger. He’ll be useful if things go bad and we’re stuck in the wild. Also the best marksman in the kingdom.”

Carso kept writing, “Don’t jinx it now. And the last one?”

Raynor had no need to explain his next choice to Carso but he was afraid of what he would think. He only said her first name, “Risa.”

Carso stopped writing and slowly looked up at Raynor, “You’re either a fool or wishing to die. Actually, I think it’s the latter.”

“We’ll need her. She’s strong and she knows how to patch men up. There’s no healer better.”

Carso sighed, “Are you sure you want her to come along? Even after…?”

Raynor simply nodded as a reply which made Carso shake his head, “Well good luck convincing her to come along.” 

Carso returned to his writing with haste. Raynor said nothing more as stood from his chair. He walked down the stairs into the main room. Jonothan was waiting there at the bottom staring up at him. Raynor stared back as he walked past. He did not want to leave his back open to those eyes. Only once Raynor was outside the Holy Maiden, did he turn around.

Raynor felt immensely relieved to be out of the Holy Maiden. Brothels are not his scene but his next destination made him wish he could stay in there a little longer. Risa Moora is the owner of Risa’s Life Savers. A shop that sold strong and durable armour.

Risa hated Raynor for suddenly disappearing and ending their relationship without a reason. In truth, Raynor was hired by her father for a job, but Raynor was tricked by him into murdering Risa’s mother for a ritual. So Raynor killed Risa’s father as well but did not tell her that it was he who killed both her mother and father. It has almost been a year since he left Risa.

It was close to dusk by the time Raynor had reached her shop. He was about to open the door before a large steel axe sudden sliced it open. He could hear her shouting and then he saw a timid little boy dash from the shop through the open door. The fear on the boy’s face mirrored Raynor’s own.

Raynor stepped inside and saw her picking up pieces of armour spread all across the floor. Her long black hair covered her face and he heard her curse underneath that blanket, “Damn thief!”
He coughed to announce his presence. She apologised while turning to greet her new customer but once she saw Raynor’s face, her own turned to disgust. She stood up dropping all the armour she was just picking up and asked, “What do you want?”

“I’m here to ask you something.” He said while trying to avoid her gaze.

“Really? Here to explain why you just left? Because I don’t want to hear your excuses.”

“That’s fine because I’m here for something else.”

Risa’s expression was full of shock and confusion as if that was the last thing she expected to hear. She quickly calmed down and asked, “You here to buy something then?”

Raynor simply replied with, “No.”

“Then say what you want to say or get out of my shop!” She went back to pick up the armour.

“I took up a job from the Queen. I need your help, Risa.”

Raynor waited for her to reply but she remained silent so he continued, “It’s a shipment escort for the east. They’re going to pay me fifty thousand gold.”

“What?!” She spun around dropping the armour once again.

Raynor tried to keep his smile hidden but could not help it and showed it anyway, “If you help me you get a fifth of the cut.”

Risa started pacing around her shop muttering to herself about how ten thousand could get her out of her current life, and how she can not accept this request because of her relationship with Raynor and how that will complicate the quest. Eventually, she stopped her pacing and looked at Raynor dead in the eye, “Who else is coming along?”

“I’m going to ask Bor and Axil after this. Carcillo has already agreed too.”

Risa nodded along to each name but shook her head at Carcillo’s name, “Just saying, I wouldn’t have picked him.”

“I didn’t have much of a choice. Can you give an answer already?” Raynor started to become impatient and just wanted to leave the shop.

“Of course I’m in! What did you think I was going to say? Of course, I have some conditions. First, Carcillo does not come anywhere near me.”

“Understandable. I’ll tell him.”

“Second, you tell me why you left.”

Silence filled the room. Raynor began walking towards the door but once he was in front of it, he stopped and turned to face Risa, “When we’re done with this, I’ll tell you everything.”

Risa nodded indicating that she was fine with waiting a little longer. Raynor left the shop with his heart pounding in his chest. The truth was always cruller than people took it to be especially this truth that he had kept from Risa for months. He asked himself what she would do if she knew how he had killed both her mother and father and why he had to kill her father.

The night had begun to creep into the city. Merchants closed their shops, taverns and brothels opened up their doors, and the City Watch began their nightly patrols. Raynor walked to the nearest tavern and stepped inside. He made his presence known by shouting that drinks would be on him for the night. The roar of the people inside deafened the surrounding streets and houses. Raynor did not care if he was going to be spending all his savings in one night. The ten thousand gold he would be earning made this night insignificant.

0