Chapter 4: Recovery (Part 1)
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sky was painted a dull and dreary grey. Small rays of morning light pierced through the thick gathering of rain clouds. The light was fighting a tiring battle against the clouds to shine down onto the world, but the misty zeppelins were tactical and coordinated in their movements. When the rays poked through gaps, they were quickly blocked off. Colourful arcs stretched wide over the horizon despite the small amounts of light given to fuel them. While the morning sun was being blocked from above, sharp watery arrowheads descended from below to strike upon the soaking forest.

The tree top branches of the Moss started to droop against the constant battery since the day before. Water was soaked into the bark making it heavy and flexible. The strong ceiling that lasted through the stormy night was now worn down and riddled with huge openings allowing copious amounts of rain to flood the forest floor. The moss covered ground changed ownership as rain water began to cover everything. Small streams swept away twigs, flowers, and loose patches of moss towards puddles scattered across the forest.

The river rose high enough to swallow up the banks and to lick at the roots of nearby trees. The storm gave the river strength. It transformed into a powerful rush that could snatch anything with poor footing. Debris from the sunken ships pushed against the trees that blocked the river. Two more ships burned down the night of the attack. The survivors that jumped ship left one danger to fight against another: the raging waters. Many of them drowned but others were fortunate enough to get within range of a rope’s throw and be pulled to shore. Bodies piled up against the trees along with the debris.

Carso stared at each of the bodies separately and for long periods of time. He recognised the special features of his crew members, and reminisced over when they met and the time they spent as a full crew. With every face and body that he recognised, his heart grew heavier, and the damage became clearer. But he kept his eye out for a certain body. He did not know whether he was looking out of hope or for truth, but he needed to see his friend, Raynor. Simply seeing his friend’s prized sword without its was not enough evidence. Ever since he came upon the river bank, grief kept him close to the river. It was his grief that compelled him to look upon the dead the moment morning broke. His headache throbbed as he looked almost mirroring the pain he felt inside.

All the corpses piled up together created a disjointed, and horrid form. Their faces pressed against each other, and their arms and legs intertwined to the point where you could not recognise their respective owners. Seeing this picture before him reminded him of something similar he had laid eyes upon. The abomination came crawling back into his skull. He remembered the fear he felt when he watched it bash its way into the cargo hold. He felt that same fear now but it was rivaled with the death of his many friends. He could not discern what to feel.

It soon became more difficult for him to look at the pile in front of him. The sight, memories, and encroaching stench caused his stomach to turn. He eventually averted his eyes from it all. The relief helped to settle his stomach. He took in deep breaths to clear his head and empty his mind of monsters.

Once clear of all grief and terror, he turned his attention towards the remaining survivors. He knew that the living needed more help than the dead needed his sorrow. The survivors were busy tying old rags, and torn clothing over the wounds of their brethren. Some of the crew were trying to rope floating crates and supplies over to the shore. Carso made his way to everyone else and joined his crew in salvaging what they could from the wrecks.

He was busy picking small barrels of fruit from the river banks when Mister Fire approached him, “How many did we lose?” He asked his first mate.

Mister Fire paused before he spoke. He almost did not speak at all until he met his captain’s intimidating eyes, “Each ship lost, roughly, more than half its crew.”

Carso sighed in frustration and shoved his fist into the mud, “That’s more than fifty people!" His mind returned to the faces of his dead comrades. He tried to shift his thoughts onto something else, "Any ideas for what we should do now?"

"Salvage as much as we can, and then climb aboard on the other ships." He was good at thinking rationally in disaster situations. A trait that Carso came to rely upon. 

"And the trees blocking our way?"

The first mate thought for a moment before answering, "Turning back to find another route would take too long… "

"So we clear the path somehow." The captain stated with determination. 

"But the trees are too big and the current is too strong. If we tried to clear the way the current would overwhelm us." He protested.

"What if we tie life-lines around the closest trees and hack away at the logs from on top of them?" He looked at him waiting for his answer.

Mister Fire pondered on the idea. He glanced at the logs and then towards the trees on the bank. After a while he began to nod, "It could work. But there still lies the risk of getting swept under."

"Then we only hack at the bases. If we take away the logs' stability on the banks then the current should take the logs out of our way."

He started to understand the plan his captain had in mind. He thought hard about this solution and came to a conclusion, "I'll get some men to start working on it." He said while nodding his head.

Carso thanked him for the offer and returned to picking fruit stuck in the mud of the river bank. He noticed that his first mate did leave yet but paid him no mind.

Mister Fire then spoke, "There's something you need to know. Pass said he saw the sick woman get carried off."

It took Carso a moment to register who he was speaking of. Then it suddenly came to him: Risa. He looked over towards the men being treated for wounds and noticed, for the first time, that Risa was not there using her skills. His mind was now focused on her. He did not see her during the battle so it was easy for him to miss noticing her absence. He cursed at his own ineptitude, and began thinking of the different possibilities she may be trapped in. He handed the barrel to Mister Fire and ordered him, "Look for Pass and bring him to me. Get Bor and Axil as well."

The first mate nodded and set off. Carso's instincts told him that Risa was likely dead already, but hope for the opposite fate urged him to try and rescue her. He already lost one friend so he did wish to lose another. He realised that the others may not agree with him, and that they would need some convincing.

Moments passed by before Mister Fire returned with the rest following close behind. He waited for each of them to stop moving before getting to the matter at hand, "We need to find Risa."

Axil scoffed and objected, "If you don't see her here then she's likely dead."

"I don't believe that."

Bor curiously replied, "What makes you say that, Carso?"

He looked at the big man and answered his question with another, "The men who attacked us. Who do you think they were?"

Axil cut off Bor before he could speak, "Rebels most like. But what does it even matter?"

He turned to face him and replied, "They weren't rebels. And it matters because it tells us how much time Risa has got left!"

"It won't matter! Even if she is alive, she won't be for much long." Irritation lined his words.

"Even more reason to go find her and save her." He replied with a fierce determination. 

Bor took his opportunity to speak, "Hate to say it lad, but the boy makes sense. How can you be sure she's alive?"

Carso did answer. Instead he looked towards Pass and nodded for him to speak, "I saw 'em take her I did. They were shouting something about a witch. I saw 'em come out. Tied up she was. She shouted for help but… no could hear her. They carried her off. Jumped off the side with her they did."

Bor stayed quiet for a while but then slowly nodded his head, "She may still be alive."

Axil however continued his protest, "Why would a bunch of rebels capture someone who isn't even worth any value? And she'll be dead before-"

Carso had just about enough of his arrogance and harshly interrupted, "They weren't rebels!" His outburst drew the eyes of bystanders. A quick glance from their captain sent their eyes back to their business. He continued, "Her life is in danger, and it's the right thing to go rescue her!"

He looked into the boy's stunned expression. It took awhile for him to speak again, "Why are you so adamant to save her?"

He knew he would have to tell them of the monstrosity that befell his ship. Just thinking about it brought back the terror again, but having to explain it to the others drove him to the point of insanity. When he opened his mouth no words came, only a strangled croak. He coughed and tried one more time but his voice remained broken and afraid, "I… I saw something. Unnatural. A monster born to bring blight on this good world. I can still piece it together even though I tried to purge my mind of its unholy form. I can still remember its smell… it reeked of death! I can still recall their petrified screams." His breathing quickened and he found his legs to be weak. Like a strange addiction he kept going, "They all looked at me with soulless eyes. Eyes begging for mercy. But their eyes did not match it's actions. It tore into the hull with ease." He did not know if he should refer to it as a monster to be feared, or as people to be pitied upon. He saw five heads, five pairs of eyes and ears, five mouths, five noses, but they were all fused into something that was not human. He stopped and looked directly into the others eyes as if his own would share with them the horror he has seen. He slowly spoke, "That thing was the work of something truly evil. If Risa is still alive then a worse fate than death is coming for her."

The group fell silent with fear. Even the steadfast Bor shuffled anxiously on his feet. He spoke next, "What you are speaking of can only be named as blood magic." 

Axil found his voice after hearing Bor's proclamation, "What else could it have been? And if what you're saying is true, Carso, then I have more than enough reason to take my own and go back home." 

Bor felt insulted at the idea and berated the young man, "You're just going to abandon her now after hearing of this monster?! No man nor woman should have to be subjected to such a thing! Where is your spine?!"

"Rescuing damsels from blood cultists and fighting their damned creations was not what I signed on for! You all can go run to save a dead girl."

He walked away from the group in a hurry. Carso stopped him, "I wouldn't do that Axil."

He turned around with an irritated smile and asked, "And why not?"

"The Moss is a dangerous place if you don't have a healer with you." He explained 

This amused the ranger. He chuckled and replied, "I grew up in a hunting village. I know my way around the wild. I know I can get my party safely through to the other side."

This is when Carso knew he had the smug man trapped. He knew of the customs of said hunting village and planned to use Axil's own heritage as a tool to keep him with the group, "Your village only taught you how to hunt, track, and skin animals. Not how to forage for herbs and roots for medicines and salves, or how to use them. You left that for the woman."

The sudden realisation chased away his smile. It hit him just like the rain falling on his face. 

Carso could see the furious thinking on his face. He didn't give the boy a chance to say something clever back at him, "Risa is one of the most skilled healers. Without her, we will lose more of our comrades and friends to their wounds from the battle. How many people in your party are injured?" He paused to give Axil a moment to look around and see how many people had bloody rags wrapped around them. When he was done, Carso continued, "Risa can save them from death. Like it or not we are going to save her! If you don't you're not going to have a single coin of the reward promised to you." If emotions and logic failed Carso would have turned to money. The sound of ten-thousand gold coins rattling around in a big purse would have attracted even the most pious of men.

After thinking it through Axil reluctantly agreed, "Fine. What are we going to do?"

He gave a single nod to acknowledge the boy's help. He turned to face the others and began explaining the current plan, "We're going small. Too large of a group might get us spotted by any of their lookouts. A small group is easier to manage. Axil, gather a few of your best rangers. You and I will go." 

Mister Fire who remained silent the entire ordeal spoke for the first time, "Captain, with all due respect, I do not think that is wise. This man was against your plans before now. What's to prevent him from abandoning you?" Scorn marked his words.

Axil took offence to that and opened his mouth to speak but Carso interrupted, "Trust goes both ways. I am willing to trust my life in his hands and I suspect him to do the same with me." He looked towards the ranger and waited for him to agree. With a prideful expression he bowed his head to the captain. 

This did not satisfy the first mate who objected again, "At least let me accompany you. If you should fall the whole fleet will fall to ruin."

"No. You are to stay here and oversee the work here with Bor. Get that tree out of our way and take the fleet the rest of the way. Axil and I will meet you on the coast. That is an order!"

He stayed quiet. The thought of protest and concern painted his hard face. But he bowed his head showing that he was still loyal and would do as he was ordered.

"Why meet at the coast?" Asked Bor the curious behemoth.

"If they should chase us, we would have the open sea to our advantage. They won't be able to attack us like they did on the river. Our ships would close enough to the shore to provide support. In a sense, we could catch them by surprise this time."

"It also means less time is wasted for travel." Bor added with a stern face.

Axil took the turn to speak next, "They attacked us with a fairly large group. That means they left fairly large tracks. The rain and the moss might have got rid of them, but I'm sure I can find them."

Carso was surprised at his sudden decision to help. Satisfied that everyone knew their task, he set about giving orders, "Good. Axil, find those tracks. Bor, Mister Fire, start working to clear the river. Pass, you and I are going to gather some men."

Pass nodded his agreement and replied, "That's all good with me it is, captain. But what are we going to do with her?" He pointed in a direction that was towards the forest.

Everyone turned to follow his pointing. They all saw the Queen huddled into a small ball on top of a soft green stone. Her red hair darkened in the rain to a near black, and it stuck close to her cheek and neck. She was wrapped in a gold cloak that belonged to her Royal Guard. He was standing next to her keeping an eye out all around. She looked up and met their gazes, but quickly looked away as soon as she saw them.

Carso had forgotten that he saw her just before leaping overboard. He didn't think too much about it then because his mind was busy on survival. Even after making it ashore, she quickly separated herself from the rest making Carso unaware of her presence for the time being.

He took a breath and offered a solution, "You don't worry about that. I'll handle it." With that, the group disbanded and set off to their own jobs. He remained for a moment later before making his way towards Her Highness. As he approached, her plated Royal Guard moved closer to him soon blocking his path. Carso spoke in front of the captain but his words were for the queen, "May I ask as to why you were on my ship?"

She did not respond. She only wrapped herself tighter with the wet cloak.

He tried to pry an answer from her, "With all due respect, your highness, you are a stow-away. I have the right to-"

"Don't you dare try to threaten my queen!" The Royal Guard interrupted.

With a sigh he replied, "I have the right to know why since it was my ships that sank. As I was going to say."

He did not like the tone in which Carso spoke and growled like a beast to try ward him away. But a gentle voice from behind him tamed his temper, "It's alright, Paro. Let him through." His anger filled expression instantly disappeared and returned to its stoic default.

Carso stepped past Paro and closer to the Queen, keeping a mindful distance so as to not tempt her bodyguard again. He went quiet for a moment to wait for her answer, but she stayed quiet again. After a moment too long he spoke, "Your Highness, why were you on my ship."

She kept her eyes away from his direction and instead looked straight ahead as she answered, "Important royal business, the kind which I cannot discuss with you."

It was obvious that she was lying. He did not even need to think about her words to try to decipher them. It was as plain as the moss covered woods around them, and he confronted her about her lie, "If you were on important business for the crown then you wouldn't be hiding in the cargo hold of a pirate ship like any other stow away."

Her cheeks blushed a soft pink crimson out of embarrassment for being caught so easily. She looked into his eyes, "I never was such a good liar. It may not be for the benefit of the crown, but it is still important."

Sensing that he was not going to receive a proper explanation he decided to take an underhanded approach, "Fine. But you do understand that I have to ensure your return to the palace?"

Her eyes went wide with, "No! Please don't-"

He wanted to goad her more into submission so he gave her a reason to his decision, "We've been gone for a few days now. Surely by now someone has noticed your absence, and sooner or later someone will turn towards my pirate fleet, which left around the time of your disappearance, and assume I kidnapped you. I am not going to take blame for your actions."

She hesitated for a moment before speaking, "Please… I have to go with you to Argasia."

"Why?"

"I plan to end the war! That's why." She exclaimed reluctantly. She took a few moments to breathe before continuing, "The other lords would not have supported my decision for peace, so I left the palace in secret. Your fleet was the only good chance I had." 

Her answer surprised him to the point of disbelief. His disbelief was quickly replaced with confusion. Everyone in the kingdom knew that it was the Queen who pushed for the war with Argasia a decade ago.

He became more bewildered than before. The only part of her answer that made sense to him was that the other lords would not have supported her peace notion, because they had invested too much into the war to pull out with no returns on their investments. He asked her, “Why do you want to end the war now? You started it and kept it alive for the past ten years.”

She opened her mouth but hesitated speaking. Her face was riddled with the pain of wanting to share her burden. But she could not answer him, “I… I can’t tell you. But please don’t send me back?”

He recognised the sound of desperation in her voice. He has heard it many times before from beggars trying to escape debts, to dying men hoping for a release. Yet he felt that her’s was different. She sounded as if she wanted to live. It was a strange sound, something he had not heard before. It echoed in his mind long enough for him to sympathise with her.

He heard footsteps that squelched in the mud approach him from behind. Carso identified Pass’s voice when he spoke, “Captain? Axil says he found tracks, he did.”

He kept his gaze towards the Queen as he answered, “Thank you, Pass. Tell Axil we’ll leave shortly.”

Once he could no longer hear his footsteps, Carso turned to look at Paro, who was stoic as ever, and asked him, “Mind if she comes with us?”

Paro stepped closer to his Queen and proudly answered, “Her Highness does not leave my sight! Where she goes, I will go.” He placed a hand upon her shoulder. She took her own hand out of her cloak and placed it on his.

Carso smiled satisfied at his answer, and spoke, “Very well. Do try to keep up.” He did not wait for a reaction before leaving the discussion to where Axil was crouched on the ground. 

A bucket of water fell on top of his head when some squirrels ran across the branches above. He did not give the sudden splash any attention. Instead he shook his head like a hound, and then took a leather strap out of a pocket and tied his wet hair into a single braid.

Axil was busy looking at the path the tracks created. He did not break his gaze from the path even when Carso asked him if they were the right tracks. He simply nodded and pointed to the edges of the path while explaining, “See how wide the tracks stretch? Unless a herd of stags came through here recently, these have to belong to the cultists.”

Carso stared ahead into the forest trying to follow the footprints as far as he could. The dark greenery seemed to encroach closer towards him like a creeping wolf waiting to pounce. He unintentionally moved his hand to the pommel of his cutlass. In his head all the possible dangers made themselves present. He prepared himself for each of them, but once again the living horror returned. His heart started racing and his face started trembling. His hand squeezed his sword tightly. The rain and forest noises began to contort into a deathly howl.

A hand to his shoulder caused him to jump slightly. He turned to meet the face of Axil looking irritated. The howl faded away when he started to speak, “What are they waiting here for?”

The Queen and her guard stepped into his view. Carso took a moment to calm his nerves before answering, “They are coming with us.”

The lad’s eyes went wide with surprise, “What? Why?!”

“She has her reasons. And for the benefit of us all, it’s best to let them tag along.”

“And you’re not going to share those reasons with me or the rest of us?” His pitch went higher while he spoke.

Carso leaned in close and whispered in his ear, “I will explain later but for now all you need to know is that they are coming with us, and if we help them for as long as they need us we will be rewarded.” He knew that the sound of reward would rid all reason from anyone and Axil was no different. Gold was a siren’s call especially during these times. He also thought that he could weasel a payment out of the Queen for their service. He decided to wait for an appropriate moment before bargaining for a reward, but for now he lied to get the rescue attempt underway.

His lie was met with an exasperated sigh and silence. 

Carso took it as consent for his decision. Pass stepped into the fray with several people following behind. Two of them were crew members whom he recognised. They were nicknamed Knot and Dirge. The other three were rangers from Axil’s party. Feeling satisfied that everyone was present and prepared, he gave the order for the group to set off into the watery woodlands.

0