Chapter 1
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"…as of today, the Justice Lords' totalitarian hold on the world is over." The imposing visage of the Batman was broadcast over every television set in every nation. Across the world, people stared as if transfixed to their screens as the most removed of the guardian overlords made his announcement. "As I speak, the other Justice Lords are being taken into custody. They do not share my views, nor are they willing to listen to reason."

The screen cut to a moving scene that many only dreamed about: Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Martian Manhunter, Hawkgirl, and even Superman were all being herded into individual armored prison transports one by one. Angry. Bound. Powerless. The screen abruptly transitioned back to Batman.

"My final action is this." He held up a cylindrical trigger and pressed the button with his kevlar-covered thumb. The screen cut to a view of the Watchtower in space. Once a beacon of hope and justice, the powerful satellite had become a symbol of oppression and fear over the last two years. Though it had loomed over the world for less than half a decade, it felt like such a permanent and immortal fixture. That's why what happened next caught viewers off-guard: the Watchtower exploded. With that, the dream became a reality. The stranglehold of the Justice Lords had come to an end. As the dust and debris of the once-feared satellite began to settle in space, the video feed returned to Batman.

"Our reign as demigods is over. I'm sorry."

Every screen went black as signal cut. Batman was gone.


-5 Months Later-

She sat on the roof of her house, staring into the stars lost in thought. It was one of the few moments recently she had time to herself to think. Of course, it wasn't one of the few times she was alone. In fact, for the past few months, she had been getting more time alone than usual. But this was one of the few times she was alone and her mind could wander. Sometimes it was simply something as trivial as 'Do monkeys marry?' or 'Just how do they pack so much flavor into Soder Cola Lite?'' But this night was different, tonight she thought about the world. As a graduating Senior of Gotham High School, she realized that very soon she would be thrust into the world with little more than an umbrella when what she really would need was a parachute.

"Kimber?" Her father's voice floated from the house below and into her ears. "Kimber, sweetie are you out there?"

"Yes. Yes, Papa," she called back quickly as she scooted from the roof to the back porch in one swift movement, landing on the ground gracefully a moment before the back door opened. She greeted her father with a kiss on the cheek. "Welcome home."

"Thank you, Kimber." Her father, Goren Lee, embraced her. " How was school?" he asked as the two walked into the house.

"Dismal and hopeless as ever." Kimber sighed. "How was work?"

Goren looked up for a moment before answering. "You know, pretty much the same. Though there was a pinch of happiness today."

"Really? What's that?"

Goren smiled as he settled into his favorite armchair. "Remember that upstart gang?" he asked as he loosened his tie to allow his neck to breathe.

Kimber sat on the piano bench opposite him. "The Jokerz?"

Goren nodded. "Yep, the lunatic followers of the former Joker. One of their leaders was just delivered to the station courtesy of our city's new guardian."

Kimber arched an eyebrow. "The Batman is back?" she asked with slow skepticism.

Her father chuckled. "Sadly, no. But she bears a striking resemblance to him."

Kimber's eyes shot open in surprise. "She?"

"Yes ma'am. I've tried to keep it on the down-low but her appearances are becoming more frequent so the bat will be out of the bag at some point." He cleared his throat. "Some woman's running around in long underwear for the past few months, apparently trying to fill in the big boots of the dark knight."

Kimber laughed. "Really? Sounds like a losing battle."

Goren shrugged. "To be honest, the GCPD will take what we can get. I'm still not sure what I'm doing. Going from security to police chief is quite the whiplash... And already the caseload is piling higher than I'd like."

"I'm still confused as to why you were made chief." Kimber moved from the piano bench to the couch and reached for the remote. "You quit the force when the Justice Lords took over. Rather loudly, if I might add."

"Yeah, well, apparently Batman remembers that little event."

"I'm pretty sure that he would remember the deputy chief who cursed him out."

"Yeah... Pretty sure he more remembers knocking a few of my teeth out, too." Goren absent-mindedly ran his tongue over the few veneers on the left side of his mouth.

"Perhaps," added Kimber with a smirk.

"When he released the world from the Lords' hold, he put in a request that I replace Gordon as chief."

"Because you stood up to him?"

"Because I was the only one who stood up to him," Goren pointedly corrected. "Though I do wish he'd come back out of wherever he hides. This city needs him now that the world isn't under martial law."

Kimber leaned back a bit from her father. "You make it seem as if the girl in long undies can't stand against the crime in the city."

Goren looked at his daughter from the corner of his eyes. "And you sound offended, Kim."

The girl laughed. "Oh, please, Papa, why would I be offended?"

He smiled back. "Only joking, Kimber. But it would be a miracle to have him operate in Gotham again... I have a feeling we're about to experience a storm of evil that was only possible years ago."

0