Chapter 9
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sorry for the short chapter. Work has been a little busy.

 

Chapter 9

Beth is sitting in the library again today. She has been coming here to learn the new spell that has been the subject of a lot of gossip recently. A spell that one of her good friends personally invented.

 

Railgun

 

Using the magnetic force inside the human body to repel an object at high-speed

 

Powers not dictates by magic intensity

A simple and easy to understand description. The method of training and executing the spell is written underneath. Beth has not realized until now that the power of this spell was not dictated by the mage’s magic intensity. It had somehow slipped her mind, that guy’s eye catching entrance information.

 

Magic intensity 2

 

He was somehow at the forefront of every combat situation. When they first met in the forest. When he ran to reinforce the front gate during the siege. Even when they go on patrol with the battle mage troop. Jace was always at the front line of battle. Somehow that person had shredded every monster he came across with this spell, even when his legs were shaking.

 

He shined so bright like a knight on a white horse, she forgot that fact about him.

 

So this was why he could kill monsters with that magic intensity. And it's probably why he gets injured so badly after using it.” Beth thought back to all the times she saw him using it. The force of the spell was so strong that his body would get knocked back. Beth smiled to herself while thinking about the past few months.

 

A group of young men nearby saw her smile and thought she was in a good mood. They decided to take a shot and walk over.

 

“Hello, Peerless. Trying to learn the Railgun? I would advise against it. It's too much effort for a spell that won't be able to compete against higher level spells.” The group of young men had a friendly smile, but greedy looks shone in their eyes.

 

“.......” Beth said nothing. Her usual demeanor

 

“Ah, you are busy. Sorry to bother you. We will talk to you again next time” a guy that is good at reading the room. Yet he could not resist trying to forge some type of connections. He tried to place his hand on her shoulder.

 

Suddenly, flames seem to engulf him. He felt himself burning to ash. His hand pulled back instinctively. He was sweating and breathing hard like he had just been running for his life. Without another word to his friends, he walked away like his life depended on it. His friends look at his back in confusion before following suit.

 

Beth felt tired, using that was more draining than she thought. She went back to thinking about the events that led her to this library.

 

Hundreds of students, even teachers, have been coming to learn this spell from the library. So far, not a single person has been able to replicate it.

 

The training method is actually very simple. The problem is the extremities of it. Using mana to stimulate the internal organs of humans is an extremely painful experience. The mana is simply too intense to be used in such a way. Even Aura Masters that mutate their own bodies in similar fashions were unable to endure the pain.

 

Mutating the body in the way of Aura Masters required forging the Mana Heart into an Aura Heart first. When the mana running inside the body slowly changes to Aura, the mutations of the body also gradually happen at the same time, but this spell’s method is not using that slow/gentle process.

 

The Aura method usually takes several years before the body fully mutates. This Mana forging method forcibly mutates the body in weeks, days depending on the person.

 

The first time Beth read this spell’s training method, she went back to the gym and hugged Jace without a word.

 

“Have you read the spell training method?” Jace has a meek smile. His hand caressing her hair.

 

Beth thought back to that moment and felt her heart pound in her chest.

 

She saw how he had been mutating his body until now. She felt like he must have endured so much pain. But seeing it and actually trying it for herself were two very different experiences.

 

Not much was said between them after that. Beth has been in the library ever since.

 

“What makes him go to this extent for power? He is not on my level, but with his brain and magic control, he could easily become an amazing researcher. Why the need to enter the combat field?” Beth couldn't understand, and Jace refuses to tell her.

 

Beth realized after watching him train for the tournament, his mana control has no flaws. Absolute perfect control, if such a thing even exists, would be able to somehow glean her glamor spell. He knows she is hiding something, that is probably the reason he doesn't trust her. However, her secrets can not be told to anyone, not even him. Complete trust is impossible to accomplish between them.

 

This academy is like an oasis in the magic and martial world. While the outside world is not as lawless as the chaotic era, fierce competitions and ruthlessness are commonplace. She could not put her family at risk because of her own personal desire.

 

Beth tapped her finger on the desk as she thought about various things.

 

“But there is something I can give him. Something that might help him take the number one spot during the tournament.” Beth smiled and started writing something with her hands instead of using magic.

 

—-------------------

 

Cade was sitting on the floor of the gym, watching a crazy guy torture himself. He has become an extremely gifted healer in the few months since he came to this academy, to the point that Greeneyes took notice and chose to mentor him personally. However, because of that gift, he was blackmailed by a scary girl, into being a personal healer of this jackass.

 

“Your entire lower body is done, I think.” Cade said while looking at Jace's newly chiseled body. Thanks to his improved healing skills, he was able to heal any injuries fairly quickly compared to before. Jace’s legs had been broken more than ten times since this morning. “I always wondered why you didn't just magic your own body or face. Everyone else does it, you won't see a single ugly person in the entire magic world”

 

“.........” Jace is silently sitting in a meditative pose. His body is now at least twice as big as before. His height went from 165 cm to 185 cm. His appearance has gone from a chubby young man to a fully grown adult.

 

“It's kind of weird to hit puberty in your mid-twenties don't you think? Did you always intend to become an Aura Master? Or is it because of your magic intensity?” Cade did not stop talking even if no-one answered.

 

“Also, I don't know Aura Master’s training well, but I think you are doing it wrong. They don't injure themselves like this.” Cade paced around the gym with nothing to do. He was acting the fool. Cade knew that Jace was doing something different. This was no mere Aura forging.

 

“Ruin, come play with me. That guy is so mean, I came all the way here to help him and he won't talk to me.” Cade turns his attention to Ruin that is lazing on top of Jace's head. When he tried to touch the dragon’s body, his hand was slapped away by the small cute tail.

 

“Ouch, that kind of hurt.” Cade shook his hand back and forth from the sting. “I should have asked Beth for compensation. This sucks”

 

Jace’s eyes suddenly opened.

 

“I will pay you. Don't ask her for anything.” Jace spoke to him for the first time since he arrived.

 

“Oh my, what a touching scene. The girl blackmailed me to come be your personal healer, and the guy offered to pay me with an empty pocket. I didn't realize this academy offers classes in banditry.” Cade made exaggerated movements as if he was wiping away tears from his eyes.

 

“I can help heal your mana core injuries. Is that enough payment?” Jace look at him straight in the eyes

 

“Who the hell are you?” quicker than Jace's eyes could see, Cade's knife was pointing at his neck.

 

—------------------------------

 

Cadreal Varnus

 

Race: Human (100)

 

Title: Prodigal Son, Playboy, Fated Virgin (lol), Gifted Healer, The Cripple of House Varnus

 

Vitality: 20(20)

 

Magic: intensity 37

Control 28

Mana 64 (19)

 

Spell: Nature magic (intermediate)

Healing magic (intermediate)

Wind magic (basic)

 

Traits: Broken Mana Heart

Beauty

 

Jace thought to look at Cade's information for the first time. There are a few weird lines in the information screen.

 

The planet seems to have a really nasty personality.” Jace thought.

 

Broken Mana Heart caught his eyes immediately. This is a condition that he is all too familiar with. It was the first thing that he used Mana Authority for.

 

This academy has changed Jace’s outlook on his mission. To be more accurate, Beth has done that. He needed to do more than just Ascension. What is the point of becoming an all powerful being if you are alone? He found someone important to him again. He can't always be there to protect her, and while Beth herself is no damsel in distress, his enemies are extremely powerful. He needed allies and connections. The annoying words of this guy in front of him echo in his mind.

 

Since he always lectures me about it. You will be my second connection” Jace thought as he smiled at the knife in front of his face.

 

“I can sense the chaotic mana in your body. You already know, my mana control is even better than Sir Windshear.” Jace told him. The tension in Cade's body seems to loosen a bit.

 

“Let's say I believe you. How can you cure this? Even Greeneyes couldn't do anything. It's impossible to manipulate the mana inside someone else’s body. Delicate internal wounds can't be healed by other people. You can try to draw out the mana but you can't manipulate it directly. It's the reason I am learning healing magic, so I can heal my internal injury myself. I am warning you. if you fuck with me, I will kill you” Cade looked indignant. His usual playful attitude is nowhere to be seen.

 

So this is his true personality. A little fierce. The magic world is truly full of illusions” Jace thought to himself while looking at the handsome redhead that he no longer recognised. The fake smile is long gone. The expression on his face is that of barely contained rage. Jace wasn't sure if the rage was directed at himself or someone else.

 

“I have done it before, but I have never done it to someone else.” Jace told him. Cade’s knife immediately moved, only stopping less than a millimeter from Jace’s neck. “But don't you think the experience of someone that has successfully done it once is valuable? Even if you won't allow me to heal you directly, you could gain a lot of information from my experience”

 

What the fuck is wrong with this guy? No fear, not even a slight flinch.” Cade felt a weird feeling from Jace.

 

“You wonder why I don't feel any fear from you? I can see that you are serious about killing me. But….” Jace took a step forward.

 

Cade freaked out. He needed this guy’s knowledge. Cade felt the knife hitting skin and he quickly pulled back.

 

No blood?!” Cade looked at the knife and the edge was completely bent. He looks up at the guy in front of him.

 

An eerie smile

0