Chapter 11 Prelude to the Competition
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My day job is slower than expected so I had more time to write. Opportunity in misfortune as they say

Enjoy

 

Also, I went back and re-edit all the other chapters for grammar and such. I will keep doing that as we go forward as well. 

 

Chapter 11

 

“Jace!” Cade ran into the gym yelling his name. “I did it!”

 

“You did what?” Jace got up from meditation. It's been two weeks since the last time this guy came to the gym. The tournament is less than 2 months away. His body was almost completely forged, he didn't even need Cade to be his healer anymore. Aura Physique’s natural healing abilities are quite high. He could break his shoulder and it would heal in a few hours.

 

“I found your martial master.” Cade moved to the side and the person standing behind him could be seen. A young girl with shoulder-length black hair. Kim was standing there with a scared look.

 

“Hello, Jace. It's been a while……….you are Jace right?” Kim looked up at him with round eyes.

 

“Hey, Kim. It's me. How are you?” Jace smiled and bowed in the Eastern style.

 

Kim was flustered. The Jace she remembered was not this smiley, friendly, tall, muscular, and handsome guy. Everyone uses magic to mold their face and physical appearance to some degree, but his general vibe itself was different. Kim thought that Jace was like a rabid dog before. Jumping into danger with almost no regard for his own life. As a mage, he stood at the front line of battle at all times. That is akin to suicide. And the rumors about his experiments, shredding his own body to pieces, breaking every bone in his body daily, several times a day. For many people in the academy, Jace was horrifying. An insane person.

 

But the man she sees in front of her now is a very different person. A sincere smile, soft and gentle vibe. What could change someone so much? Kim was puzzled.

 

The door of the gym opened, and a beautiful girl walked in. She was wearing thigh-high socks, a long white skirt, a white shirt, and a black leather jacket. Her long black hair is still a little damp.

 

“Beth, dry your hair before walking here. It's cold outside! What if you get sick?” Jace made a big fuss and grabbed a towel from somewhere. He was gently drying Beth's hair.

 

“.........” Beth said nothing but the smile on her face couldn't be hidden.

 

“............since when were they that close?” Kim turns to Cade.

 

“You will get used to it,” Cade said while making a vomiting gesture. “Anyways, Hey! She is pretty good, you know. Don't look down on her just because she looks weak”. Cade points at Kim next to him

 

“.......I don't look weak …” Kim said weakly

 

“Quiet you! I already paid you so much in mana stones, I don't want to hear any complaining!” Cade pointed at her. Kim couldn't say anything back.

 

“She is acceptable”

 

“She is good.” Beth and Jace said at the same time. Jace looked at Kim.

 

True Sight!

 

A small screen appears next to her.

Mary Kim

 

Title: Spirit Medium, Master Pugilist

 

Race: Human (100)

 

Age: 20

 

Vitality: 20(20)

 

Magic: intensity 30(30)

Control 37(50)

Mana 27(30)

 

Traits: Spirit lord’s descendants

Martial Prodigy

 

Spell: Illusion magic

Spirit magic

Basic elemental magics

 

“No, she is amazing.” Jace smiled.

 

—-------------------------

 

One month later

 

Outside the foggy dark forest, hundreds of people can be seen flying in the sky. A giant black whale hovers in the distance, hundreds of Rune masters flying around with glowing long black coats. Some types of towers are being erected quite a distance away, all around the academy. The preparations for the tournament are underway.

 

A tall bald, dark-skinned man stood in the air overseeing the construction projects. Sir Runic made a name for himself at the young age of 86 by inventing mana-dampening runes, an invention that allowed humanity to be able to hold events and celebrations once more.

 

“Mr. Vice President, sir! The project should be completed ahead of schedule. Approximately one week before the tournament begins.” A blonde woman flew up to him and handed him a paper folder with a mana net screen projected onto it.

 

“Thank you, Miss Winter. I wish you victorious in your competition” Sir Runic handed her the folder and nodded his head.

 

“Thank you, sir!” The woman smiles and tries to fly away.

 

“Wait a moment, Miss.” Sir Runic suddenly stops her.

 

“Sir?” Miss Winter stopped mid-flight and wondered why she was stopped. Sir Runic was known to be very curt.

 

“........would Miss Harlet be welcoming us in person?” Sir Runic said reluctantly.

 

“I believe so.” Miss Winter suddenly realized what was happening “I will send a delegate to meet her in your place immediately” Miss Winter flew away at high speed.

 

“WAIT! NO!...........damn. I wanted an autograph…”

 

—--------------------------

 

Inside the Headmistress's Office

 

There were all kinds of books and toys lying on the floor and floating around the room. No paperwork of any kind can be seen. It was more like a lazy teenager’s room than an office. Duke Feng and Lealatha were sitting on chairs made of shadowy mists. Opposite them, Miss Harlet made an annoyed face.

 

“As I said before, we have investigated it. Your brother went into the forest alone, a violation of the school’s protocol. There were no traces of mind control magic, potions, or charms. He went in willingly. Not much we can do about that, we don't chain up our students or anything. We can't control what they do” Miss Harlet spoke harshly

 

“I don't like what you are implying, Miss Harlet. My family has protected the borders of humanity for two thousand years. A cultist from our family?” Duke Feng’s mana was about to explode before a gentle hand was placed on top of his.

 

“Miss Harlet, we will be doing our investigations. I hope you do not mind.” Lealatha’s cold smile enhanced by her unnatural beauty is eerie to look at.

 

“Go ahead, what do I care? I hope you find the person responsible and it's not what we all think” Miss Harlet floats up into the air and disappears into wisps of fog.

 

“Oh, by the way, we need to meet the students that made contact with that chimera.” A predatory smile appears on her face. Duke Feng’s grin was wide. In the Celestial Empire, every misfortune is an opportunity

 

—------------------------------------

 

One week later

 

The Academy entrance.

 

Hundreds of Aura Masters riding on flying weapons are moving through the academy’s fog barrier. The giant black whale can be seen outside the barrier, waiting for its turn. Behind that whale, a long line of Mages, Aura masters, and even the common people can be seen walking through the forests, guarded by robes Battle Mages, silver armor Paladins, and black armor Warriors. The Academy’s students came out to watch the people arrive.

 

“Wow, why is it like this?” Yulin was in charge of guarding the common folks. “The last event four years ago also had a lot of buzz but not like this. This is easily multiple times more people than last time.” The battle mages have been working nonstop, escorting the people from the edge of the forest to the academy ground.

 

“Thank you for your hard work little lady. When we are done how about I buy you a drink?” A muscular warrior in black armor winked at her.

 

“Thank you………..we can't drink on campus….” Yulin is a bit shy

 

“Hey! Musclehead! You are scaring the beautiful lady. Back off!” The silver armor shining in the sunlight, a massive paladin walked between them and shoved the Warrior in the chest.

 

Other Warriors and Paladins quickly took notice and came to back up their respective sides. The situation was quickly escalating. The common people were scared by the mana waves being emitted from the two groups of people. Suddenly, the two groups of crashing mana waves were completely shattered.

 

“Causing a commotion in from of us? So many brave men in this world” A voice came from a young man with four eastern straight swords on his back. Long black hair tied into a bun, pink robes so pale that it looks white. More importantly, on his headband, a five-leaf cherry blossom.

 

“Blossom Swordsmen are here?!” Sounds of excitement and shock spread out from the crowds.

 

“More of them are behind him.” A woman points it to the group of people walking up behind the man. All of them wear similar clothes, each has four swords on their backs.

 

“Excuse us young noble.” The Warrior that started the whole thing apologized quickly

 

“Excuse us, young master. It was just a friendly exchange” The first Paladin quickly bowed his head.

 

The young man walks up to both of them and then turns around to leave. The common people were confused about what had happened, but the people in the martial world saw it very clearly. Both the warrior and the paladin were cleanly cut in two. Much too fast for anyone without combat training to see.

 

Yulin immediately manipulates the earth to cover the two bodies that are about to fall into two pieces. There were innocent civilians and even children here. It was best to avoid panic and chaos. Both the warriors and paladin entourage said nothing, but the rage in their eyes was difficult to hide.

 

The young swordsman walks up to Yulin.

 

“Young lady, I hope you were not offended. I have taken the liberty to clean up your school for you. I am Flowing Sword.” The crowd’s murmur grows louder. “Would you give me the honor of knowing your name?” The Flowing Sword’s intentions were clear. His eyes did not meet Yulin’s even once but roamed all over her body.

 

Yulin was in a bind. The Blossom Swordsmen were extremely influential, known far and wide for upholding justice and fighting evil. They were the peacekeepers of the martial world, but humans can never win against their own baser instincts. Rumors of massacre and atrocities committed by the Blossom Swordsmen have circulated in the martial world for a while now. Even accusations of impropriety between masters and students. Power always corrupts.

 

“Excuse me, sir, I need to get back to my duty.” Yulin made an excuse and tried to leave, but her body felt heavy. The Flowing Sword’s aura wave was suppressing the mana in her body. She couldn't move properly.

 

“Not even a word of thanks and you try to leave without even giving me a name? Is everyone in this place so rude?” He steps closer to Yulin, his eyes still roaming her body. The suppression was so strong now that even the common people in the area started to choke.

 

Suddenly the aura waves suppressing the area were dispersed like smoke. The common people could finally breathe again. Yulin almost fell to the ground but someone supported her from behind. When she turned to look, she saw long black hair, chains around her arms and legs, the familiar face of a close friend.

 

“Beth!” Yulin hugged her.

 

The Flowing Sword had his hands on his swords since his aura wave was dispersed, expecting an attack. When he looked at the girl that suddenly appeared, he couldn't help licking his lips. Fair-skinned, surprisingly curvy body, absolutely gorgeous. The magic world is full of beautiful women and handsome men. Everyone would magic their own body and face to suit their taste. But even in such a world, each person’s sense of beauty was different. Beth’s beauty was so eye-catching that it was hard for common people to look away. Even Yulin felt surprised. Beth was always beautiful, but she has become almost radiant.

 

“Oh my, I almost hurt something so precious. I sincerely apologize. May I ask for the supreme lady’s name?” He smiled at Beth. Despite the polite words, the look in his eyes exposed his intent. The other five blossom Swordsmen behind him snickered like it was entertaining and emitted their aura waves as well, intent on suppressing both women.

 

The warriors, paladins, and the common people watched the commotions without being able to interfere. Blossom Swordsmen were considered nobles, outranking both common Warriors and Paladins. A high station was given to them by the emperor to create a force that could even arrest corrupt nobles. However now, they were watching a group of Blossom Swordsmen attempting to bully two female students in broad daylight. A few people tried to rush in to help but were held back by their comrades.

 

“......I will give you a kiss if you beat him up,” Beth said. Everyone was confused, was she offering a reward for anyone who stepped up to help her? Before anyone could react to the proposal, a young man walked out from behind Beth and Yulin.

 

“As you wish” Jace was stretching his body.

 

—----------------------------

 

Louis Mu Wang, the Flowing Sword, was known as a prodigy even among the Blossom Swordsmen. From a young age, he was trained in the way of the Blossom sword, completing the forging of his Aura Physique only at the age of 30, and became captain of his squad at 32. He was the future of his sect.

 

He has played with village girls before, they were more than happy to jump into his bed, and when they refused he just threatened them with some aura waves. This tournament is the best hunting ground for him. Ordinary female villager could magic their appearance, but nothing like a real mage. He was drooling at the thoughts.

 

The first girl that caught his attention seems to be a battle mage. Slender but amazingly well-proportioned body. He wanted to push her around a little and then take her somewhere. Then something amazing jumped out. A fairy? A goddess? Louis didn't know. But he needed to bring this girl back to his tent right now! But he wasn't stupid, he saw how this girl dispersed his aura wave with a simple flick of her hand. She was no simple girl. He signaled his people and all of them would suppress her together. He would deal with them if they wanted a share of his toy afterward.

 

Once again, things did not go as planned.

 

A young man walked out of the crowd. Tall and muscular, at a glance, he did not look like a mage, but he could feel mana from him.

 

“a mage? with that build?” Louis felt like something was off. He signals for one of his people to test him. The desire for the girls has been replaced by caution. One mistake in the martial world could mean death or, worse still, annihilation of your family or sect. He dares to bully people because he has already scouted this group of people, no one of significance. But a man who saw his identity and dared to walk out? This requires extreme caution.

 

“Little brother also feels a little stiff before the competition? I also have the same idea! I must ask my little brother for a sparring lesson. Do you dare?” Lu Wei, his right-hand man, steps forward with a provocation towards the man.

 

“Good! I trained him well. Even if people ask about this incident later, a duel is the perfect smokescreen” Louise smiled to himself.

 

“Shut the fuck up and come,” the man said casually.

 

“Little brother has quite the temper. I will give you face and only use my fists!” Lu dashed forward, his body coated by the golden glow of Aura. Lu was extremely fast, his hands made mirages while furiously punching at the man. No tactics or strategies only pure speed and force.

 

The man did not move at all. Louis thought he had been overly cautious. It was only a country bumpkin that did not know who they were. But what happened after that was unexpected. The man stood still and took those punches like a steel wall. No blood, no bruises. He did not even flinch. Lu's knuckles were red and swollen as if he were a common man punching a mana steel wall.

 

“Nice, my turn” The man's smile was so wide it looked like a sneering clown mask.

0