Chapter 14: A Cloudy Sky
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The day has been long. I didn't know it was raining. When I look at the sky I see clouds covering the sky. Just like the world was telling me, that it is not happy with me. I am a prisoner here. No matter what I do, I can't leave to go home. The humans here are so weak and come and go so quickly. Maybe that's why dragons and gods don't get involved in mortal affairs.

I felt a raindrop hit my face. Followed shortly after it was like the sky itself was crying. Rain pouring down, from the usually mostly sunny sky. I didn't have it in me to move. I stood there, watching the sky. Letting the rain wash over my scales.

The rain washing away the river of blood which painted the ground red, has turned to muddy brown. The ground had turned soft. The water mana spirits responding to my feelings. They surrounded me, and floated around me.

My chest felt empty, my victory over the monster was greatly outshadowed by the loss of my friend. I walked over to Sally’s lifeless body. I gently picked her up off her son. I scooped up both her body, and her son. Holding them both I stood up and walked my way to the town.

“Lost? What's going to happen to us? Our home is gone.” Her son asked me through his tears.

“I do not know. You can't live with me. It's much too cold.” I replied.

“Dragons have magic don't you?” He asked.

“Sort of. Its hard to explain.” I said.

“Teach me! I want to learn!” He pleaded.

“I specialize in water and ice. I don't know if you humans can even handle or wield mana.” I said, a bit worried for his mental state.

“I don't care what I have to do! I don't want this to happen to my home again!” He begged.

“I don't know how to teach you! I am sorry, I really don't. If I could just show you I would. ” I pleaded.

“Then can I live with you?” He bareilly got out.

“I guess ya, but you will need to learn how to take care of yourself. I will do my best, but I am barely even considered grown as a dragon.” I answered.

“Doesn't matter! We will help each other.” He responded loudly.

I looked at him in the face for the first time. His eyes, filled with steely determination. He was motivated and willing to work hard. He wanted to get stronger. I had only seen a look like this once before. I nodded, feeling reinsured by his looks of determination.

“Alright. You can come with me, but as I said I can't teach you directly. You will have to learn, I might be able to help here and there, but I am not skilled at teaching.” I confirmed with him..

“Yes mam!” He said

“Good, then after we lay your mother down, for her rest. We will then get you some supplies. I won't help you after today. Not if you want to get really strong. I won't let my followers be weak.” I said, suddenly realized I sounded like my mom.

What has come of me. I feel so dark and sad. I know I lost a friend, but I felt different. I hit my head into the ground. I got my bearings back. I smiled looking at this new challenge. I can move forward. Just like her son, I couldn't hold myself back. I may be the strongest here, but out there I am not. Not only can I help him, I need to actually work on my own. I just had that fight with the monster, it just shows if I had been any slower or weaker today may have been my last. I must return home to my mom. I had family and friends to return to.

“Alright let's get you some wood. You will need to make fire to keep yourself alive. Living in my cave won't work either, it's full of ice.” I said

“That's fine, I am good with my hands. I will make my own home! Just help me move the first wood I need and I will take care of the rest!” He all but shouted.

“Alright, let's get started then.” I said smiling.

Feeling much better than before I took us over to where his home was and after digging just a little bit, I laid his mom down inside. Calling on the water mana I froze it over, freezing it in time. Maybe not forever, but maybe she can see from here how much her son can grow.

I set him down next to the grave, and letting him have a moment alone, I walked away to the frozen shiny humans. I noticed one familiar face. It was the human who tried to boss me around, and I froze his feet. The look of horror frozen on his face was enough to make me smile.

“Silly human, you can't ever demand a dragon around. No matter how strong you think you are. A dragon will be ever so much stronger. Shame this world doesn't believe in gods.” I sighed.

Maybe, more of, this world couldn't have any. I am not sure why, but mom I think said something about worlds not having dragons or gods, I don't remember the reasons. I didn't pay much attention to those lessons. I was kinda regretting not paying attention to those lessons now. Though an argument could be made I wouldn't have ended up here, had I listened to her at all, but then I wouldn't have chocolate. I wonder if her son could teach me how to make some.

“Hey, might be a random question. Do you know how to make chocolate?” I asked.

“Oh, ya. My mom was the best at it! I learned from her.” He said with a proud smile on his face.

“Wonderful! Oh ya, I either forgot or never asked your name before. What is it?” I asked curiously.

“Oh hehe my name is Hickory! My mom said it was her favorite tree.” He said.

“Hickory? That is a nice name. I am glad to meet you.” I said, glad to have learned his name.

0