Chapter 4: A new area
46 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Repair the Energy input of Pylons and generate Aerex power to the Singularity.” 

Those words sounded familiar… I’m certain I’ve heard them before, but I can’t recall when. Did I forget a request from the Core? I don’t fully understand what it’s asking for, and I’m not even sure who or what the core core is.

I don’t even get why its so important to me.

What is a pylon? I’ve never heard that word before… Aerex, however, seems to be some kind of energy that makes things move. Wait… ‘Makes things move’?

Something inside me clicked, and I turned towards the Core. I spoke slowly, trying to be as clear as possible… “Do this. Core works. After request?”

If you’re asking whether the Core will work after you finish the request, then yes, that is correct,” confirmed the Voice. “However, you must first repair the input Energy Pylons and generate Aerex Power in the Singularity. After that, check for irregularities in the System of Aeonian before restarting it.”

Although the Voice spoke slowly, I struggled to understand what they meant. However, the most important part is that the Core will become alive after I complete the request?

“I don’t, understand…. Much. You help, yes?”

“If you are requesting to be assisted during the Core’s request. Then, of course, Nameless Ghost.” The Voice said.

“How to… Start?”

“Proceed to the Dorning Room.”

“Dor…ning room?” I tilted my head unconsciously.

“Do you know where the Dorning room is?”

“No…”

Suddenly, the box in front of me vanished, and the floor lit up with a trail of soft sparks, causing me to jump in surprise. Seeing such, it felt rather familiar. How could this be? Despite doing something new and unfamiliar activity, it felt as if I had done this before.

“I have created a pathway that leads to a nearby Dorning Room. Feel free to ask if you need any assistance.”

I started to float, following the soft white, sparkling glow on the ground. At the same time, I asked the Voice, “Pylon… What, is that? Fix, how?”

“Pylons are energy distributors responsible for transferring energy in and out of the Singularity. I have not received a damage report from the Core, so I am unable to answer your latter question at the moment.”

Listening to the Voice’s slow explanation, I floated down the familiar aisle of bookshelves, noticing that many of the books had been removed, likely by me during my previous visits. Perhaps it was time to consider returning some of the reference books next time.

“Singularity. Bank energy?” 

“If you are referring to the Singularity as an energy storage system, then yes. The Singularity traps energy within a containment field, with shield strength and warping field capabilities that can hold up to two trillion Aerex Units.”

That’s a lot? Right? I am not so sure, but it does sound a lot. 

Before I realized it, I had passed through the long corridor and entered a large open gate that led me to a new area. However, I felt slightly familiar with the scenery before me, that it didn’t feel new.

What first caught my attention was the tall structure in the middle of the room; it resembled a support pillar rising from what seemed to be a flat grassy ground below. Are those actually real grass? This is my first time seeing them outside of the books.

I want to try touching them… But it looks so far.

As I looked down, I realized I was gliding across a somewhat transparent path, intersected by various paths. I wasn’t disturbed by the thought of making a miss step and continued forward without worry.

The sight before me left me astonished. Yet, a part of me sensed that the place lacked the echoing music, cheerful voices, and colorful lights that would bring this place to life. I don’t know why I felt that way, but it just felt right.

“What. Happened? This place.”

“I am not certain what you refer to ‘this place’. If you are referring to Aeonian, then my current speculation is that the input Energy Pylons were destroyed. As a result, Aeonian was unable to maintain power and shutdown.”

Aeonian… That sounds familiar… I’ve encountered it several times in books, and even noticed it on signboards in the previous location. I wonder what they actually mean.

“Aeonian?”

“If you are asking ‘what is Aeonian?’. Aeonian is the name of this Library. This place is called Aeonian.”

Is that so…

Before I knew it, I passed through the floating pathways and entered another large doorway. This led to a large, open hallway that sloped gradually. As I scanned the surroundings, I noticed several various inorganic objects scattered across the hallway — some held books, while others displayed unfamiliar devices.

I noticed there was a difference between them and the ones I saw nearby the Core. These ones were grouped together, whereas the previous was scattered everywhere.

“That… Sleeping?” I pointed at them

“I am not sure what you are referring to, Nameless Ghost. I am an external device, and we do not share the same senses.”

“In… Organic… Dolls.”

“Are you referring to the Guardians?” The Voice asked me, speaking slowly.

Right… So they are the guardians… I never knew that the books always referred to them. 

I have always been curious about them as my form has always been similar to theirs. There was one sentence that stood out to me in the books describing their appearance, something like – ‘Their appearance molded in the same image as their creators.’

I wondered if I was created by them, but instinctively, I knew that couldn’t be true.

“Yes.”

“The Guardian and the Administrative Core have both shut down due to the lack of Aerex Energy within the Singularity.”

“Aerex. Fix? They move?”

“If you are referring to ‘After fixing the Aerex Energy problems, will they be able to move?’ The answer is ‘yes’, they will be able to move.”

Upon hearing this, my body shuddered. Not from fright, but from delight. I’m unsure why, but I felt a sense of ease. The heaviness within me seemed to lift. I don’t quite comprehend why, but probably mainly because I had forgotten many things.

I glided forward along the long corridor much faster than before, following the soft, sparkling light until I eventually entered a small room.

Oh, this looks familiar. I remember seeing this location in one of the books. What is it called again? ‘Touring the Security Gates of the Core’? There were several desks, each with small gate-like metal fences that restricted people from entering and exiting freely.

If I could remember correctly, the books mentioned that it was made for people, human people. What were they called again? Agier? Airger? Aegir? I forgot the term for the humanoid people. However, they all looked extremely similar to Guardian’s appearance.

However, it didn’t work on me. I phased through the desk and continued forward through a tunnel after.

Before I knew it, I emerged into a vast open space, much bigger than the previous area. My gaze was drawn upwards to a towering structure with compartments and floating pathways crisscrossing between them. Colored clothing hung from the balconies, and what appeared to be a floating construct hovered above.

Woah. I stood still in daze.

I never thought I would actually get to see this. I always thought it was just in books, never considering it could be real. It was darker than depicted in pictures, mostly due to the lack of Aerex, but that didn’t take away experience witnessing the real thing.

As I turned around to see more, I saw numerous grassy plots and chairs. However, what captured my attention were the statues, with almost all the Guardians gathered beneath them.

Are those statues of their creators?

“This place… Called is? People’s hall?” I muttered, trying to get confirmation.

Oh? I spoke better this time.

“If you have exited the room of the ‘Security Gates of the Core’, then yes.”

So I was right. 

“Me. Explore? Okay? Or, no-okay?” 

“If you are asking about exploring the People’s hall, then yes, it is allowed. However, I recommend that you gain your physical body before proceeding. Currently, I am operating as an external device and do not have the ability to see, feel, hear, or interact with your surroundings. Thus, I won’t be able to provide immediate assistance.”

 “Huh? Understand. Meaning, no?”

“If you are asking for reiteration, I cannot provide immediate assistance as you currently lack physical body. With a physical form, I would promptly perceive and offer live explanations of your queries.”

Does this mean the Voice needs a physical body to see things like me? Are we getting the Voice a physical body?

“Is… That so? Will get body then.”

Continuing on, I floated my body and followed the white sparkles that traced to the tall structure in front of me.

4