Chapter 9: The Anima
55 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 9: The Anima

 

What is this? 

As I finally came to a stop in the chair, a strange sensation began to creep over me. The world around me seemed to sway gently, mimicking the way I sometimes sway or bob my head. I couldn’t quite pinpoint it, but something felt off. I had felt this way before; colors appeared muted, lines blurred together. My vision seemed to twist and turn, leaving my feeling disoriented. It was as if my eyes were playing tricks on me, unable to focus properly.

I closed my eyes, relaxing my body, attempting to shake off the unfamiliar sensation that overwhelmed my senses. I had experienced this before, but couldn’t quite comprehend why it was returning. Perhaps it was a side effect of all that spinning… Most likely the case… However, as I tried to stand up, my wobbly legs and queasy body said otherwise, causing me to immediately collapse back into the chair. 

I’m spinning again… Nooo. AAAAA. An indescribable gasp escaped from my lips, echoing through the distance as if chasing the distorted sight. Make it stop, telekinesis. 

“It appears that playing with the rotatable chair has disoriented your senses. Please relax on the chair as I work on resetting the equilibrium in your body,” Pheleppeides’s words echoed in my mind, yet for some inexplicable reason, I found the voice somewhat prickling to me.

The chair? How could a chair cause this? Maybe it was a threat, after all. My body’s senses abruptly ceased, plunging me into a silent void. Yet, strangely, the disconcerting sensation that had gripped me vanished unnaturally. Unable to open my eyes or utter a single sound, a feeling of unease slowly engulfed me.

“Pheleppeides, what is happening?” I inquired, using my Mana to speak.

“I restarted the senses in your body to assist in your recovery from motion sickness,” Pheleppeides explained.

Hearing their words, the sudden tension faded. “Is that so?” 

As I observed, I began to feel the sensation of my clothes clinging to my skin, the weight of my body pressing down, and a cold sensation of air touching me. Finally, my eyes fluttered open, revealing the familiar surroundings. 

As I sat up to assess my body, the words of Pheleppeides echoed in my mind. “Your body’s senses have been successfully reactivated. How do you feel?”

“What was that all about?” I responded, turning towards the glass. 

“You experienced a disorientation of your senses likely caused by the extreme movements associated with motion sickness. Although your body can naturally recover in a few moments, I decided to restart your body’s senses immediately as I believe it was something you would desire.”

“Is that so? I feel better than before. Thank you, Pheleppeides.” 

For a moment, there was no response. Silence enveloped the space as my eyes wandered to the side, as if seeking the source of the voice.

“Pheleppeides, is there something wrong?” I asked.

“I am surprised that you have attained knowledge of common courtesy. I am pleased to offer my service.”

“In the stories you provided for me to practice speaking vocally, the main protagonist or characters often say thanks and welcome, while others don't. Is it wrong that I do the same?” I asked. 

“No, in fact, a simple courtesy is greatly appreciated. It shows respect and acknowledges one’s worth. While these may be common, they still convey your appreciation.”

A strange, warm tingling sensation crept over my face. I couldn’t quite grasp what this feeling meant, but I knew I felt restless, my fingers refusing to stay still — forcing me to use telekinesis to keep them steady. Is it odd that I want to become part of them?

“Is that so?”

“Certainly so, Nameless Ghost.” responded Pheleppeides. 

Before I realized it, the edges of my lips curved upwards involuntarily, I could feel my cheeks flushed warm, and a tingling wave washed through my body. Perhaps ‘happiness’ would be the better term for this feeling, wouldn’t it? At least based on the definition from the books.

I muttered to myself, “I really need to come up with a name for myself soon, so that I can hear you say my name.”

“Of course, nameless Ghost.” 

Satisfied with the reply, I decided to move onward. Phasing through the walls of the sphere, I traveled to the neighboring one. To my surprise, this time it was quite different; there were several pieces of clothing scattered around, numerous papers and pens strewn across the small, front desk. An empty cup sat atop the several stacked plates.

Let’s focus and find the Three-Key this time.

Taking my time, I sorted through the garments, creating separate piles for the devices and clothing below, while neatly arranging the papers and pens on the desk.

After inspecting each piece of clothing carefully, my attention was drawn to a long white robe. With a flick of my telekinesis, I spread them out, revealing the Three-Key unexpectedly peeking out from its chest pocket.

I used my telekinesis to retrieve the Three-key and placed it in my palm. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that it closely resembled the images provided by Pheleppeides. I couldn’t help but wonder how they captured those images.

“Is this the Three-Key?” I asked, tilting my head in confusion. “What do I do now? I will have you know that I can’t phase through walls with objects in hand.”

“Of course you can,” Pheleppeides stated confidently. “Before I explain the reason, please take the Anima Expira Collector.”

Right after, a holographic window materialized in front of me, displaying an image of what appeared to be a small box — or rather, a box separated into four pieces. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a dark blue circular object tightly nestled within the compartment.

“What is this?” I asked, turning my head towards where I placed the devices.

“This is an Anima Expira Collector. While I cannot fully explain the intricate mechanism of this object due to its complexity and the prerequisite foundational knowledge required, I can provide a summary of its purpose. It is designed to collect and store Anima.”

“Anima? For what purpose?”

“Anima are souls that are used as a material for one’s own growth. Do you remember your Trispira?” 

“The one with the words and numbers inside the holographic window? Let me check. One moment… Trispira.” I replied, turning my focus to the front where a holographic window appeared.

 

-NAMELESS GHOST-
THE HEAD OF CHRONO WRITING DEPARTMENT

-PRIMARY ATTRIBUTES-

LIFESPAN
120/540

SOUL INTEGRITY
250/250

FORM INTEGRITY
40/40 (-25)

-SECONDARY ATTRIBUTES-

ELEMENTAL ASPECT
150

BODY PROPERTY
90 [720]

MENTAL ASPECT
161

-TERTIARY ATTRIBUTES-

PHYSICAL TRAITS
MANA RESEVOIR: 540/720

STR: 12
DEX: 20
VIT: 23

BODY RESISTANCE

FATIGUE: 0

END: 15

RES: 15

MENTAL RESISTANCE

SANITY: 100/100

PSY: 21
WIL: 20

SKILLS SET

WRITING: lv2
AEONIAN CONNECTION

MAGIC

MANA POOL: 49/70

TELEKINESIS lv2
POSSESSION lv1

MARK

INT: 11
WIS: 15
CTL: 24

 

 

 Looking at the holographic window, I noticed something was different. The ‘Body Property’ now displays with numbers, and there are various new numbers within the physical traits section. Is this because I currently have a body? As I wonder about, Pheleppeides spoke.

“Yes, those attributes represent your abilities through numbers and words. To increase your attributes, you will need Anima to increase the numbers. The Anima you collect will be neutralized by the Core, their information and its properties will be manipulated to be compatible and added to your Trispira. The higher levels of your attributes the stronger the ability is.” explained Pheleppeides.

Enhancing power… If I reach level two in my telekinesis, does that mean it gets strong? Unconsciously, I tilted my head as I tried to comprehend how it works. 

However, despite my efforts, I couldn’t visualize the concept in my mind. Finally, I asked Pheleppeides, slowly, “That spider body, the largest variant. I couldn’t lift it to gather the components for the body I’m currently assembling. If I enhance my telekinesis to level two, will I be able to lift it?”

“No. With level two telekinesis, you can only lift an effective mass of 90 kilograms,” Pheleppeides replied, matching how I spoke. ”The Giant Guardian SpiderGala you are referring to has a mass of 8,299 kilograms. You would require an evolved version of telekinesis to be capable of lifting the SpiderGala.”

Even as I listened to Pheleppeides's answer, I couldn't quite grasp their words. My focus wavered, and their voice seemed to drift further away the longer I tried to understand. Though familiar terms were mentioned, I still struggled to comprehend them. What exactly did he mean by kilograms? I vaguely recall discussing it with them before, but I had missed the opportunity to bring it up.

“Pheleppeides, could you please explain kilometers to me? I’m having trouble understanding how numbers are used to calculate the heavy and not-heavy things, and also the height of objects? Could you teach me more about this later?”

Almost immediately, Pheleppeides replied, “I apologize for not realizing your lack of knowledge. I will teach you as we go along.”

“Thanks. And regarding Anima, you mentioned I need them for my Trispira? What are they? And how do I obtain them?” I asked, focusing back at the desk while continuing my search for the Anima Expira Collector.

The holographic window displaying my Trispira was too large, obstructing nearly a third of my vision. While I could switch to a third-person view, the space around felt a bit too cramped, and I decided not to. Ultimately, I erased the display with a simple wave of a hand.

“Anima are essentially the same as Souls, but they are used as an ingredient to enhance one’s own. When a body dies, its soul becomes vulnerable and can easily be harvested to become Anima.”

“Is that soooo? I understand.”

I scanned the desk cluttered with various devices until my eyes landed on one that resembled the image provided. Using telekinesis, I brought it closer and compared it to the image — a box divided into four small sections with a visible gap at the divide, revealing a circular object within — matching exactly as the image. Satisfied, I then brought into my palm, feeling the cold, smooth surface touching against my skin.

“I found it. What do I do next?” I asked, turning my head to the side as my thumb absently fiddled with the surface of the box. 

“I have provided a Guiding light that leads to the third level of Aeonian.” Said Pheleppeides as a familiar, soft sparkling light appeared, phasing through the wall of the sphere.

“I don't think that is possible — I currently have objects with me.” I muttered, slumping back the chair as I lifted the Three-Key and Anima Expira Collector to the air.

“It is possible for you to phase through the objects by simply doing the same as you did to your body; engulfing the objects with Mana.”

Is that so? I absentmindedly gestured in the air, bringing the two floating objects closer and pulling them into my hands. Trusting Pheleppeides’s words, I used my own Mana to engulf the Three-Key, fully anticipating the familiar wavy sensation. However, to my surprise, there was no sensation at all.

This should do it. With my Manaless fingers curiously reached out to touch the Three-key, effortlessly phasing through its surface.

So it was possible after all.

Intrigued, I directed all my focus on the Three-key, playfully phasing with other parts of my body, and even using Anima Expira Collector until Pheleppeides spoke, startling me out of focus, “However, I believe this is the best time to introduce the functionality of the Three-Key. Do you recall when I asked you to direct your Mana to a specific part of your body?”

“Yeah?” I confirmed. “You mentioned that if my Mana Pool gets full, I should drain a few by channeling them to Mana Reservoir in the body.”

“Excellent. The Three-Keys have a feature that works on the same principle as the Mana Reservoir — they can store up to 100 Mana. So, when attempting to open a closed door, the power will be drawn from the Mana Reservoir within the keys if Aerex is unavailable. Try wrapping the threading-myr around your wrist and channel your Mana through it.”

Is that so? But why? I can simply phase through objects if needed. I silently followed Pheleppeides instructions; I trusted them, after all. With telekinesis, the threading-myr swiftly wound around my fingertips, extending down to my wrist in an instant.

As I channeled my Mana, a faint glow appeared on the threading-myr, moving towards the key. Once it entered the key, a colorful blue light seemed to echo through its surface. 

After less than a half-minute, I instinctively felt my Mana was running low and quickly stopped to check, murmuring, “Trispira.”

A familiar holographic window appeared, displaying all my attributes. I quickly glanced at the Mana pool and saw [24/70]. It took 25 Mana, more than I expected.

Suddenly, Pheleppeides spoke, startling me once more with a jolt. “I noticed you often open your Trispera to check your Mana pool. Would you like me to set it to display on your HUD?”

Another unfamiliar word.

“Hod?” I repeated. “What is that?”

“My apologies. H.U.D stands for Heads-Up Display. It’s an adjustment that enables you to easily access information granted by your Arkus. With this, you can quickly check your Mana pool without having to open your Trispira.”

“I’m not so sure. Could you give it a try? If it’s too big, then I may reconsider.” I replied, slightly hesitating.

All of a sudden, in the bottom left corner of my vision, I noticed a familiar section of Mana Pool and Mana reservoir slid into view, both displaying their respective numbers. Is that the H.U.D? It wasn’t as big as I thought it would.

“Does the Heads-up display information obstructing your view? Would you like to adjust its size to your fitting?” Pheleppeides inquired.

“This is good enough, so no need.” 

While I was speaking, my attention shifted to the bottom text of the Mana Pool, the Mana reservoir. I realized that there was more Mana stored in this body than I initially thought. Yet, I also wonder how I am supposed to withdraw it?

As if noticing what I was thinking, Pheleppeides spoke, “Do you wish to use your Mana Reservoir?”

“Yes,” I answered, toying with the Three-key and the Anima Expira Collector on my fingertips, spinning them around with telekinesis. “But how exactly?”

Pheleppeides explained, “It is similar to how you manipulate the Mana within your Soul. Alternatively, I can assist you by internally moving the Mana within the body. As I do, please try to tap into it.” said Pheleppeides.

Without warning, the familiar wavy sensation reappeared on my chest, slowly growing within me. I could feel something inside me being stirred as if I were using my telekinesis to scratch my insides — so uncomfortable. Is this the Mana that Pheleppeides mentioned?

“Is this the Mana you mentioned? I think I can understand how it is.” I muttered.

The Mana felt contained, not behaving as it normally did. Upon manipulating it, I observed that unlike my usual use with Mana, it seemed to have one outlet — from the front of the chest. This was slightly different from the usual where I can channel Mana wherever part of my body.

Then something clicked within, the sudden realization made me jolted up from the chair, exclaiming, “Hey, Pheleppeides! Do you think you could just use the body if I provide you with my Mana? I can generate Mana and store it in your vessel for your use!”

“It is possible. However, I advise against it as your Mana recovery capability is not high, and it would be a waste of Mana,” Pheleppeides replied hastily. Although their tone remained nonchalant, their words were brisk.

“Is that so? That’s very unfortunate,” I responded, slumping back to my chair. I used my telekinesis to wrap the threading-myr of the Three-Key around my fingers and resumed filling it with Mana from the Reservoir. “What should I do next?”

Suddenly, another holographic window appeared in front of me. I lazily peered at it from my chair, and skimmed through the contents. It seems like some kind of instruction Manual how to use the Three-Key.

“Please proceed…”

2