Chapter 3: Life and Death
132 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a burst of desperate courage, I lunged forward, aiming a swift kick at the nearest thug's knee. My foot connected with a satisfying thud, sending shockwaves of pain through my leg and into his. 

Kurt stumbled, surprise etching his features as he grappled to maintain his balance.

Not waiting to see him recover, I spun on my heel, attempting to dash past them towards the fleeting safety of the city's crowded streets. But the other was quick, his movements honed by a harsher world than I knew. 

His hand shot out, grabbing a fistful of my shirt, yanking me back with a force that winded me. I crashed into his chest, the air whooshing out of my lungs.

"We're not done with you yet," he snarled, his breath hot against my face. 

It was bad enough that he had to stop his stomach from expelling.

Panic surged within me, propelling my limbs into frantic action. I jabbed my elbow backwards, feeling it sink into soft flesh. A grunt of pain was my reward before I was roughly shoved away.

Stumbling back, I scanned the alley for anything to use as a weapon. My hand found a discarded pipe, its cold metal a small comfort. Swinging with all my might, I managed to land a blow on the Kurt's arm. 

The clang of metal against bone echoed in the narrow space, a fleeting symphony of desperation.

But they were coordinated, their bodies moving with a sync born of practice. 

A fist connected with my cheek, stars exploding in my vision as I tasted blood. I swung wildly, my attacks becoming less about strategy and more about survival.

As the fight dragged on, my energy waned, their blows coming faster and harder. I stumbled, falling to the cold ground, the pipe clattering from my grasp. 

The world spun, a dizzying carousel of shadows and pain. I curled into a fetal position, arms wrapped around my head, waiting for the next kick, the next burst of agony.

But it never came.

The silence was deafening, the anticipation of pain a sharp contrast to the stillness that enveloped me. Daring to hope, I cracked an eye open, the world coming back into focus through a haze of fear and confusion.

There, in the middle of the alley, sat the level 8 cat I had noticed earlier, its tail flicking with casual indifference. Beneath its body, the two thugs lay unconscious, sprawled in a heap as if discarded by an invisible hand.

Relief flooded through me, leaving a trembling laughter in its wake. The cat, for reasons I couldn't fathom, had intervened on my behalf, tipping the scales of the fight with an unexpected grace. 

I lay there, a moment longer, letting the absurdity of my savior wash over me. A cat, of all things, had saved me from a fate I dared not contemplate.

Gathering the remnants of my strength, I pushed myself off the ground, each movement echoing the recent violence in a symphony of aches and throbs.

My bag, discarded in the fight, lay a few feet away, its contents spilled again. I gathered it hastily, cramming the escaped items back into its depths.

With a wary eye, I turned toward my unexpected ally, the cat. Its gaze held a weight, an intelligence that seemed almost mocking in the aftermath of the fight.

Maybe Lvl 8 cats are really scary enough to handle two grown men?

Taking a cautious step forward, I extended a hand in gratitude. "Thank you, Little kitty. Maybe you would like some food..."

A hiss sliced through the air, Its ears flattened against its head, and its eyes narrowed, the message clear: don't come near.

"Alright, alright," I conceded, taking a cautious step back. "But the offer stands. If we ever cross paths again, I owe you the finest dish a cat could wish for."

As much as the cat had turned the tide in my favor, I harbored no illusions about the fickleness of its kind. Cats were creatures of their own whims. 

There was a man who had paid the wastrel to watch over, and he could be coming any second. Would I trust my life in the paws of the cat?

Better to run as far as away I could. Turning on my heel, I hastened my steps.

The cat's intervention had given me a second chance, a reprieve I had no intention of squandering.

Damn this crazy world. Why he could he enjoy a normal laid back life…

But for now, survival was the sweetest victory. I quickened my pace, the desire to put distance between myself and the alley drove me forward.

Better to stay in public places than in a secluded alley.

After turning onto the larger road, I moved toward where I could see more people. 

After running for quite some time, the pain in my legs accumulated from overexertion. I slowed my pace, and my heart settled down, the fears decreasing from this many people around.

However, even amidst the relative safety of the people, the specter of death loomed ominously. There were not many options for me in this situation. 

Asking the guards for help was risky. There might be corrupt guards who would betray me, especially since the man apparently has gold coins to throw around. It only takes one informant and I would find myself in another alley. The academy is the only place that should be safe.

After deciding my next course of action, I observed where I had run. The people were scowling at me and keeping their distance with hands in front of their noses.

Maybe after a bath…

This area seemed too affluent for my scheme, and there were also guards patrolling the venue. After a quick look, I moved toward the poorer buildings, a quick pace to remove myself from here. 

From the number of glares I was earning, I wouldn't be surprised if the guards moved to throw me to the slums.

I strolled down the bustling streets, my eyes darted around, taking in the sights and sounds of the city. 

The sun hung high in the sky, casting short shadows on the cobblestone paths. Merchants called out their wares, their voices blending together in a cacophony of commerce.

"Fresh fruits! Juicy and ripe!" called out a man, his voice carrying over the crowd.

"Step right up! Get your handmade crafts here!" shouted a young woman, the excitement evident in her tone.

With some sneak glances at the people, I constructed an average of people.

Almost all of them seemed to fall within the range of Levels 5 to 20, with only a few above.

Most of the merchants boasted levels in the twenties, while the children registered at a humble Level 0.

Anyone below 14 seems to have Level 0 in their stats, as I observe around the people.

[ Identity Lvl 1 -> 3 ] 

The skill upgrade screen was a noticeable surprise, and I noticed that the strain it was putting on me had lessened considerably. 

The memories were incomplete, so I didn't have the stats of the original. If there was even one. 

At least I should be near level 5. Most teens are around that level.

But there is nothing related to the system in the memories. I can only assume that the system didn't share those memories…

After leveling my skill and overusing it, my brain started feeling tired. 

Maybe it was just in his head, or because of using those skill, I wasn't sure. To check out the higher-level folks, I had to really concentrate on them for a second.

[ Dwarf Lvl 41 ]

My eyes snapped toward the new identity but continued my gaze, not wanting to appear nosy.

As far as Nova knew, the world had many beastfolks and other fantasy creatures. 

Making a mental note to steer clear, I still glanced to get my first glimpse of a Dwarf.

Stout stature and broad shoulders, with a long and bushy chestnut beard, cascaded down his chest in a tangle of wiry strands, giving him a rugged appearance. He was strolling along with a young lad, animatedly talking.

Clad in sturdy leather boots and weather-worn trousers. Perched upon his broad shoulders, a hefty hammer head peeked out from behind.

As the duo passed me, I diverted my attention. 

Soon, I found myself in an area that resembled an old town district packed with people and vendors hollering for attention. Despite my concern, I didn’t let my guard down. 

And soon, I was rewarded for my efforts. A pickpocket attempted to reach into my bag, I swiftly grabbed their wrist and twisted it, forcing them to stop.

“Nice try, lad." Looking at the fear-laden eyes of the boy before me, I followed his gaze. 

One of the guards was looking our way, and I realized the reason.

Laughing off the matter, I tighten my hold and move away from the area, "Little brother, I told you not to touch me. I am filthy due to an accident…" 

After carrying the wooden statue of the thief, I stopped near an empty spot.

"You’re lucky I was searching for someone just like you…” I trailed off, glancing down at the still shocked face.

"Hey? Are you listening?" With a snap of my fingers in front of the face, the boy's eyes finally regained clarity and focused on me.

"Huh…?" 

The soft exclamation was all I heard as the boy stupidly looked at me. Why is he so much in shock? Is it his first time getting caught?

“I’m Nova.” I offered my hand with a warm smile.

The kid was around eleven, maybe twelve. My actions took him aback, but the kid quickly regained his wits.

It wasn’t ideal, but I needed someone smart who wouldn’t hesitate to take the offer of a stranger. And, more importantly, someone local. With my age advantage, I had to search for someone younger. I was short on time.

And I don't need the best. Only the cheapest. Which locals wouldn't know about the Magic Academy? Hopefully, he has some inside ideas about the local shops and businesses.

“Ah… my friends call me Liz.” The boy… Liz said while ignoring my hand. 

“What. You are a girl?” I suddenly yelled.

"Of course, I'm a girl, brother," Liz said, using my earlier lie.

"And you have friends?" I asked subconsciously with a raised eyebrow. Strange line by a thief.

"Hmph! What do you mean?!" Liz retorted, her cheeks flushing with a mix of indignation and embarrassment. "Of course I have friends!"

I raised my hands in surrender at Liz's look, recognizing the fire in her eyes. "Okay, okay, no need to get defensive. Just making conversation," I said, trying to diffuse the tension.

Liz huffed, "Well, I have friends."

"Nevermind, Wanna earn a quick buck?" I proposed.

"No…." she hesitated, then suddenly her arms crossed defensively.

I don't know, but I felt like the girl thought something stupid.

"Do you know your way around the city?” I asked the pickpocket.

“Yeah, I’d say so,” the girl responded, her eyes skeptical but losing those defensive look.

“And the way to the Academy?" I suggested, seeing her eyes light up with understanding.

Smart kid.

“Are you a new student in the Academy?” The girl said in a much more respectful tone.

I gave a simple nod, not denying her words. A small lie would do.

This time, she looked straight at me, not at my possessions.

I can work with that.

"And you want to go to the Academy?" the girl said.

"And a bathhouse. Any cheap one around?" I asked as I started walking in a random direction.

“Sure, it’s not a problem. I know all the places very well. It’s just…” Liz hesitated. "I need to earn money to help my sis. You see, mister, my sister is sick, and I need to earn money to buy her medicines. It’s not that I don’t want to help, but no one employ a twelve year old and…” Her eyes were getting moist.

I rolled my eyes. I can already hear the extra emphasis on her need.

A few well-placed questions and her castle of lies would shatter into a thousand pieces. She was scarily good for a kid but still only twelve years old or so.

But the girl reminded him of his childhood as an orphan on Earth.

I guess that is what happens when someone grows up on the streets and has access to skills.

Another time, I would have played with the girl at her own game, but not today. Tired from the whole death and journey, I was looking forward to a long bath. Even worse, I'm on a tight schedule to enter the Academy unless I want to waste my money.

“Cut the crap. I will pay you. How much do you want?”

Still with a tear-streaked expression. “I normally get twenty coppers after a good afternoon's work, mister.”

“Sure, did they also promise you a potion of eternal beauty? Maybe I should take my money somewhere else…”

Liz reigned in the sad expression. “My sister is really sick—.”

“Three,”

“Seven,” Liz replied with a steady voice.

“Five. But you would answer some questions for me.”

“Sure, but seven. Medicines are really expensive.”

“Five. One copper now and four when we’re done. That's final.”

It was already an outrageous price for half a day of work. Equal to some adults. From what I knew, ten coppers a day was average for low skilled workers.

“Alright, You got yourself a deal, Mister Nova.” Her grin was back. 

I took a copper coin, careful not to let her peek inside my backpack.

Nova had brought all his savings, but most of it was used coming here.

The academy would provide all his expenses when he entered.

I’ll have to get a job to earn money. And the girl should have some information for me. 

The coin disappeared in Liz's hands. “Where would you like to go first, mister?”

“I need to visit the bathhouse first so you can choose the best route. What is the rate of the cheapest bathhouse?” 

Liz nodded, a mischievous glint in her eye. "Yeah, there's one that's pretty sketchy, but it'll only cost you twenty five coppers."

My heart skipped a beat at the mention of the price. "And the other one?"

"The reliable one is fifty coppers," Liz replied, her tone matter-of-fact.

Fifty coppers? 

 

Some constructive criticism would be helpful. Please let me know if I made any mistakes, and I'll fix them. I'm only human, I make mistakes.

And Don't forget to Add To Your Reading List!

Side Note: This chapter may undergo edits in the future.

11