Chapter 7: Lucian, my Lvl 43 Orientation Guide
118 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I stood there, caught off guard as the letter changed hands, his gaze shifting from the parchment to the man who now held it.

The man's entry was jarring enough that I remembered to check on his Lvl first.

[ Human Lvl: 43 ]

Trouble sure has a way to find me… The small hope that I nourished slowly started diminishing.

For that high Lvl person to be interested in my letter in this deserted room, the trouble behind the guard's reaction had found me.

The sudden interruption left a palpable tension in the air, or maybe only I was feeling like that.

And the tension dissipated a little when the receptionist also turned toward the newcomer. I noticed the changes in the girl's behavior from the corner of my eyes.

The girl's posture straightened, her voice pitched higher than before as she addressed him. "L-Lucian, what are you… I mean, how can I assist you?"

The flush of excitement on her cheeks, the way her eyes brightened. It was clear as day, her infatuation with the man standing before them.

I almost let out a sigh, an eye roll barely contained behind a mask of polite interest.

Hopefully, this Lucian was just bored and decided to stroll for something interesting.

The man, Lucian, turned towards her with a grace that seemed rehearsed, his smile polished to perfection. "I merely came for the boy," he said, his voice smooth, with a thumb pointing at me.

And the little hope died ultimately with those six words.

"Oh, him," The girl's face turned a little gloomy, knowing the reason for this Lucian to come was me.

But I was not the only one who noticed it.

Lucian added smoothly, "But I would have come earlier if I knew a beauty was all alone here, Ms …"

"Oh! I'm Keats… Mia," she stammered, her cheeks flushing a deeper shade of crimson. "I mean, Mia Keats. Sorry, I'm just... a bit flustered."

I politely ignored her behavior, not that she was concentrating on me.

"Ms. Mia," Lucian echoed, letting her name linger in the air. "A fitting name for such a radiant presence. My sincerest apologies for not recognizing you sooner."

"Oh, no, no," she hurriedly interjected, her cheeks flushing as she fumbled over her words. "We haven't even met. You generally talk with the Head Receptionist."

My lips twitched hearing her words. It was amusing, really, how flustered she became in his presence.

But I also felt a little insulted. The girl and I had almost concluded our talk, and she still didn't share her name, and just a single glance from this Lucian was enough to throw her name like that.

But then again, I couldn't blame her entirely. It's not like I know the name of every receptionist that I interacted with in the past.

Watching from my corner, I could see Lucian's effect on Mia.

With just a few words, he had effortlessly turned an awkward moment into a scene straight out of a romance novel. And there stood Mia, completely enchanted, all previous hesitations forgotten under the spell of his charm.

Damn, he is good.

"Ah, that must be the reason, but I want to talk with the boy." Lucian easily got back into his topic after the interaction.

"Oh, is that so? We were just sorting his registration," she replied, her attempt at maintaining professionalism faltering under his gaze. The fingers twirling the strands of her hair didn't help her case.

Lucian leaned slightly on the counter, closer to the girl, his smile unwavering. "Well, I'm sure you were handling it with your usual efficiency," His tone softened, becoming persuasive. "But I'm afraid I must take him with me now, to see the Vice Chancellor."

My heart skipped a beat hearing the words, and I lamented my luck in attracting the attention of Vice Chancellor. The original Nova would have rejoiced to hear that someone like the Vice Chancellor was interested in him, but for me, who wanted to enjoy the free accommodation promised on that slip of paper, it was just the opposite.

Would I be able to run from the clutch of someone that high? Who was I kidding… Running was not an option, better to face it. Not like there is any other option.

"The Vice Chancellor is handling his registration personally?" Her eyebrows knitted together, her professional facade momentarily slipping in her astonishment. "Isn't that unusual?"

"Indeed, it is a rare occurrence. But Nova's case is... exceptional. The Vice Chancellor has taken a special interest."

Definitely Not good.

The girl pressed her lips together, nodding slowly. Her curiosity was piqued, but her professionalism held her back from prying further. "I see."

I thought that would be the end of her questioning, but I forgot the perseverance of the maiden's heart.

"But Lucian, won't you need assistance with the paperwork for Nova's registration? I could come along and help."

Lucian's smile didn't falter, but his eyes cooled slightly, a subtle shift that I caught immediately. "Thank you, Mia, but the Vice Chancellor has everything under control. Your help here at the front desk is invaluable, as always."

I watched the exchange with a growing realization. Despite the man's charming facade, his interest seemed purely performative. The man didn't want someone poking in his business.

It was all a game, one that the girl was losing without even knowing.

One, I have to play with him.

Mia bit her lip, disappointment flickering across her face before she could mask it with a professional nod. "Of course, if you're sure. Just thought I could expedite the process."

"Your dedication is admirable, but I guess duty calls," Lucian replied, his voice no longer smooth but tinged with a melancholy undertone as if the sadness of parting weighed down each word.

The girl's cheeks tinted with a soft blush "Oh, yes. Please, don't hesitate to reach out if there's anything you need," she added, her voice barely above a whisper.

After a small smile, Lucian finally turned his attention to me, his eyes scanning the letter again. Then Lucian motioned with his hands. "Follow me, the Vice Chancellor is waiting."

He turned and moved across the antechamber as I followed beside him.

"So, you're Nova. No Last name?"

"Just Nova," I clarified, a bit anxious about how that might be perceived in a place like this.

His last name was Smith on Earth because the bureaucracy wanted a name on his certificates and the Foster agent entered the common last name of the time. Maybe I could do the same here.

Take a common name and add it to my name.

"Ah, one of those single-named individuals. But not surprising with your scholarship… From Emberwaste Province. Quite the journey you've had, Nova."

"Yes, it was"

I watched him, noting the confident stride, the way his gaze swept the area, owning it. They moved through the antechamber when I noticed the golden armband shining, with three sapphire rings around the front.

Lucian caught the direction of my gaze. With a lift of his chin and a flash of pride in his eyes, he gestured towards his arm. "Oh, see this? It's the artifact that identifies one as part of the Sapphire Academy."

"And the girls dig these gems shining like stars," Lucian said while turning to give Mia a wave good-bye wave.

I turned with him and saw the infatuated look on the hopeless girl.

Then Lucian motioned to walk to the opposite side, where a large ornate door was on the center of the wall.

But I was interested in the term he used. Artifacts. But decided not to ask about them. There was no memory of the word in his brain, so showing interest would not be good. Maybe it's only known to mages. It would be better to focus on topics related to the present. "Are they just for the identification?"

Lucian turned to him with a contemplative look but shook his head, "No, but that is not something that a freshman should know,"

I wanted to know what the look was for but was afraid of the answer. The less I talk, the less I would slip. It was better to stay silent and look average.

"What do you know about the Sapphire Academy?" Lucian stopped as they neared the door, his fingers brushing lightly over the armband, the blue gems dimming.

"Nothing, it is my first time entering the Academy"

"Then you would need a crash course. See the golden color?"

Oh, an orientation guide. At least something useful. I nodded at his words to show he was paying attention.

Lucian turned to look at the antechamber. "It signifies the pillar you're part of. Notice the five flags at the center of the hall?"

My eyes drifted towards the flags, there was red and silver beside the golden. Then blue on the red side, with a green and orange in a single flag on the silver. Lucian followed his gaze.

"The middle one, that's for the Ascendents—the pillar I belong to."

"Observe the colors and I will continue on the way," Lucian said as he opened the door.

"The first left flag in Red, is for The Valorians, essentially battlemages. Fighters, predominantly," Lucian remarked, glancing over his shoulder with a half-smirk. "Brave, to a fault."

Better chance to get a hierarchy of things here. I followed, curiosity piqued. "And the Ascendants? They're above them?"

Lucian's laughter, rich and full, bounced off the high, arched ceilings. "Above? Don't let anyone hear you say that, Nova. Ascendents don't stand above; we lead. We're taught to rule, to take charge. Valorians might fight our battles, but we decide which battles are worth fighting."

That's essentially the same thing. My lips twitched at the word play going on.

"The second color, in Silver, is for the Mysticals," Lucian continued, ignorant of my thoughts, "They dabble in the spirits, and the gods. Priests don't come into the Academy except in exceptional cases. There's talk of a High Priestess joining us as a freshman."

He then laughed softly, adding, "You know, you might meet the High Priestess before I do. If that happens, help your senior out, okay?"

Hopefully I don't. The churches are another point of powder keg. But maybe I can talk with the gods, if they are real.

They resumed walking. "The blue ones are for the Merchants," he scoffed, "Leeches, clinging to every coin. Yet, they operate under our guidance."

I can see a theme going on. The pillars are also the power holders in the society.

"As for that hodge podge clashing colors of Green and Orange. They're Artificers and Alchemists," he chuckled, "Neither strong enough to demand a separate pillar, yet together, they barely manage one."

"So, Ascendents are the best pillar to join?"

Lucian stopped in front of another set of doors, his back straightening. "In essence Yes, we are but only Nobility, Royals and the Merchants Lords are allowed in. Though there are exception so you never knew."

So no joining the Ascendants. Sounds like bunch of Arrogant bastards. But then Lucian didn't seem the guy. Anywho, I was already interested in the Artificers and Alchemist pillar.

He turned with a dismissive air. "That's the Vice Chancellor office"

He motioned for me to follow as they approached the Vice Chancellor's office. "Just remember, it was I who aided your registration process. The Vice Chancellor will want to know. Ascendents, like myself, we don't just learn; we ensure others recognize our efforts."

Maybe I was wrong. The man was friendly cause of his job.

 


Sorry about the delay.

If you like the story, don't forget to Add to your Reading List, and comments.
Some constructive criticism would be helpful. Please let me know if I made any mistakes, and I'll fix them. I'm only human, I make mistakes.

9