The Scientist
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We obtained the map and observed it, endeavoring to decipher the layout of this location. After carefully examining the map, we decided to make our way towards the higher elevation. We decided to take advantage of the slight uplift at the end of the passage.

The researcher decided to be located on the LG floor, although it wasn't exactly the most brilliant idea. If anyone could go there, assuming they are, it would be straightforward.

We glanced at the map to determine our next destination and headed directly towards the western side of the building. We descended a few floors and stumbled upon an entrance that happened to be slightly ajar. "What's with this entrance?" I muttered to myself. We opened it all the way and ended up inside a room. The lighting was low, but we could still make out the arrangement of the seats and workspaces. "Turn on the lights," Mr. Drails requested. I tried to find the light switch, but the darkness completely obscured my vision. That is, until I sensed a sudden change, and the lights flickered to life.

I surveyed the room and noticed a work area situated towards the rear. There was a book on the table, filled with a variety of notes scribbled on its pages. I decided to give the room one last thorough inspection, and to my surprise, I noticed another entrance tucked away in the far left corner.

Mr. Drails muttered under his breath, crossing his arms. "We should keep going," he said, pointing at that door. We entered the passage and eventually came across a gatekeeper. We swiftly closed the entrance and stood by the corner, patiently waiting for him to pass by.

I glanced over and noticed he was veering to the left.

"Come on," Mr. Drails suggested. He nudged me ahead, and we casually made our way into the hallway. While taking a leisurely walk, I noticed the sound of approaching footsteps. I noticed a path to the left of our group. "Impressive," Mr. Drails remarked, and we swiftly entered the room. Two guards casually strolled around us, causing my heart to race as they passed by the window. I cautiously opened the door and peered outside, observing the guards departing.

"What's over the entrance," I remarked. Mr. Drails made a gesture. Perhaps they are monitoring something of value in that location.

We continued, but made sure to keep our steps steady and controlled, avoiding any unnecessary bouncing off the walls. We reached the entrance, and I pressed my ear against it. I didn't hear a sound, so I decided to take a peek and explore what was inside.

"It appears to be unoccupied," I stated. Mr. Drails shook his head in disbelief. "This seems like a pointless endeavor."

We carefully examined the room, our footsteps echoing loudly as we continued to walk. But as I placed my foot on the floor, a metallic sound reached my ears. I suddenly stopped in my tracks and glanced over at Mr. Drails, who also came to a sudden halt. I turned and inspected the entrance.

"What's going on?" he asked.

"I think I stumbled upon a hidden entrance," I remarked. "Look."

I continued to press my foot against the floor, and the sound persisted, echoing throughout the room. I opened it and looked down, only to find a flight of stairs leading downward. "I'm second-guessing this," I stated.

"Too late," Mr. Drails said.

As we descended the stairs, Mr. Drails trailed behind me. If I say so myself, it was quite unsettling, and my heart began to tremble a bit. Still, I tried to stay focused and brave as I cautiously descended the stairs. However, in that moment, everything seemed to fade away as soon as I heard a haunting moan. I let out a high-pitched cry, which also startled Mr. Drails.

"Why are you shouting?" Mr. Drails grumbled, grabbing my arm.

I gave a disapproving shake of my head. "I heard something... someone."

Mr. Drails chuckled. "Calm down; there's no need to worry about anyone watching you. Why don't we push forward?

We proceeded down the steps, yet the moans persisted, endlessly repeating the same dialogue. I felt a chill run down my spine as I observed the uproar. I sensed a growing unease. I was so terrified that I let out a scream as soon as I hit the ground.

Suddenly, the lights turned on, leaving us completely speechless.

I noticed an individual sporting a rugged stubble and a head of dark, wavy hair, seated with restraints securely fastened around their wrists. Dressed in a lab suit and a white coat, his complexion appeared rather pale.

He glanced at us, sizing us up. I felt a chill run down my spine as his eyes locked onto mine. "Who are you guys?" he asked. I stuttered, overcome with fear and unable to utter a single word. Mr. Drails stepped in to cover for me since I didn't have a stable position.

"We're spies, and we're here to help you out of any tough situation you might be facing," he said. The man made a gesture. "So you're a part of EMO?" he asked. "Is there any chance you could help me escape from this place?"

"Sure, absolutely," I replied, trying to calm my racing heart to a normal beat. "Give us a moment." I inspected the room.

I came across a PC and decided to get it. I placed the PC in the work area and powered it on. The screen flickered to life, displaying a series of records that dangled on the side, each containing a wealth of information. I tapped on the symbol that claimed to be an MP4, and a video promptly appeared on the screen.

I noticed a man who appeared to be restrained in his seat, much like the individual who was currently observing us. He happened to pass by a security guard. I observed the watchman making his way to the other side of the room while the gatekeeper meticulously surveyed the area.

Surprisingly, Demeitrus Rocke casually walked in. "Hello, Dr. Michael Jones," he said in a low and unpleasant tone. "I've heard you're quite an important person. I couldn't ask for a better ally than you by my side.

The man shook his head, clearly unimpressed. "That's naive of you," he firmly stated. Rocke muttered, "Well, that just complicates things, doesn't it? But I'll still ask, where's the Armonk?"

"No," Dr. Jones replied firmly. "You can try to harm me, but I won't be giving you any information."

Rocke made a face of displeasure. "Kill you?" he asked. "Are you absolutely sure about your conviction on this matter? You seem like an important individual, and I'm open to proposing a deal."

"I don't require any sort of agreement with you people. I think it would be best if you allowed me to go back home," he stated. As Rocke approached, Dr. Jones couldn't help but tremble in fear. There was an empty seat nearby, but Rocke decided to grab it and use it, positioning himself to face Dr. Jones.

"Remember those cool scale stylistic layouts from your childhood? Yeah, I think it's important to imagine it right now, okay? Now, we are an organization with capabilities that could eliminate numerous individuals, and you merely have a crucial matter as a scientist to protect by not accepting or even considering my proposal at all," Rocke stated. "Just, just listen to my composition. We'll spare your life. Therefore, it is expected that you provide us with the location of the Armonk and comply with any requests we make."

"So you think I should destroy my own country just to survive?" he inquired. "I just don't see how that's better than death."

Rocke nonchalantly shrugged. "Honestly, I prefer living," he suggested. "Take your time to consider, alright?" He departed while the guards, at that moment, returned to their posts. At that moment, the tape ended, and the scientist began to whimper.

"So, they're going to kill you?" I asked.

The researcher made a gesture. "I don't want to leave this world just yet, but I also don't want to betray my country," he said with a strong sense of morality. Mr. Drails casually approached him and claimed the seat. "Do you mind informing us of its location? We should probably inform the president about what might happen. In addition to my current role, I'm in the Secret Service. Rest assured, I can inform the president about this matter.

Dr. Jones shook his head in disbelief. "I'm sorry, but I can't provide you with any information," he replied. Drails whispered softly. "So, you'd rather meet your demise than have a chance to protect your country because you're concerned about possible conflicts with the US?" he asked.

The researcher made a gesture. "I sincerely apologize," he said. Drails whispered again. "Well, that certainly complicates matters, doesn't it?" he remarked.

Mr. Drails then casually moved over to the PC and switched it off. "Certainly, there is a method by which we shall ascertain the truth, and unfortunately, you will not have the privilege of witnessing the salvation of your nation."

We made our way towards the steps when suddenly, in a matter of seconds, the scientist called out to us. "Wait!" he shouted, causing us to pause and turn.

"What?" Mr. Drails asked. "Have you finally made a decision?"

"There happens to be a rather unremarkable island under US jurisdiction that we have control over." Even though I am aware of its name, I will provide you with the directions. "Only our PCs have the ability to perceive this island, nothing else," he revealed.

"Hmm, that seems like a rather suitable location for a mysterious hideout," I remarked. Mr. Drails made a gesture. We followed the directions he gave and continued further up, but suddenly we heard footsteps rapidly approaching from the concealed passageway. Suddenly, a swarm of guards surrounded the area, their guns trained on us.

"Stop!," they shouted. Then, we heard heavy footsteps, and we immediately recognized the person approaching. Rocke appeared from the shadows with a mischievous grin on his face. "Who would have thought our enemies could actually be quite useful? You practically handled our responsibilities on our behalf," Rocke said.

"How on earth..." Dr. Jones inquired. Rocke chuckled "We observed your recent interaction with Drails and found it to be quite straightforward. We have surveillance cameras in case you're aware."

He chuckled in a rather unpleasant manner. "Guards, kindly escort them out."

0