Memory.01β
85 4 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Content Warnings
  • hunger
  • injury
  • descriptions of panic

[collapse]

How long had it been since he ran out of food? Those bricks weren't pleasant - a vague and soulless taste, like all the essence had been stripped from every ingredient they were made of, and so dense unless soaked that they were painful to bite - but they weren't distinctly unpleasant, and at least they kept his weary body on its feet.

He licked his parched lips as his lavender eyes drank in the distance. Electrical arcs jumping between plates and towers. Clouds drifting about, making him wonder if there was water below - not that he could reach it if there were. Megastructure outcroppings that reminded him of the last time he saw another person - in his experience, most of them lived in those strange megacity structures; it was only the luckiest who got to live in biospheres.

Slowly he pushed himself to his feet, leaning against the wall and carefully favoring the leg he'd injured getting away from that overgrown lizard he lost his rifle trying to hunt.
Stairs. Something in him chuckled wryly, though his body lacked the energy. He took it slowly, lowering himself down one step at a time, gripping onto any bits of machine or structure he could find to support himself. It was barely enough up until the final stretch when everything gave out all at once, his limp body doing nothing to stop his descent and inevitable collision with the walkway below.
Something in him supposed he'd heard a hollow, metallic slam, but it was far too distant to be sure. Everything was... especially... that... person... ?
...


To say their body was accustomed to this was like saying their lungs could breathe air. They didn't run or jump along the structure, they flowed. It was better to say they became one with the megastructure, much the way their cousin became one with the Pulse. They were swift and nimble, moving nothing like the others in their tribe. More like the lemurs in their biosphere's mountains. Their tribesmen made so much noise it made their ears rattle and burn, but their steps were just as delicate and precise as they were swift.

They were sure they heard the slamming of a body against the structure, and they made their way toward it as swiftly as they could, ascending along pipes and bars and through tight tunnelways that proved no more troublesome to slip through than the rest, gripping the terrain with hands, tail, and feet clad in leathers more akin to their gloves than to shoes.

When they found the source of the noise, their rhythm broke but their pace remained the same, decaying into frantic pacing and wordless muttering. It was a person... they knew it would be a person, they shouldn't be surprised, and that person wasn't moving much less trying to speak with them so what did it matter?
It was still a person... and worse yet, they really weren't moving.
With a particularly loud mutter and a bit of frustrated tugging at one of their back-waved horns, they darted over and started looking for a way to pick that person up... safely, carefully.

The person stirred and made a delirious sound upon being pulled onto their back, making them freeze nervously for a moment. They shook it off quickly and continued using their tail to bind this rather tall, hornless, tailless person onto their back. Once they were sure the person was secure, they sped off, barely hampered by the extra weight. A person weighed less than some of the salvage they carried regularly, and the feeling of their horns hitting machinery was so awful they'd gotten especially good at avoiding it, so it wasn't like gouging was that much of a risk. Still, the idea was even more unsettling.

Nevermind that! Fray and Yaviri would know what to do! Just like always. They'd understand, even without words. It'd be okay again if they could get to their cousins - their packmates - as quickly as possible.

It'll be okay... It'll be okay!

0