Fallen Apostle Volume Two Chapter Sixteen: Unsure (1)
20 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leonidas sank into the couch, crossing his legs and placing his tail onto his lap. He took a deep breath and exhaled.

In the past, if he wanted to Exchange with Goddess Yves, he would have to go to her well. But, within his living quarters, he could correspond with it as he pleased.

Spending 3 Blessing Units, he took a familiar, bloodied, Lower Ogre head out of his hidden space. Then, he closed his eyes.

It took but a moment before Leonidas was standing within a foggy world, a familiar well of clear waters placed before him.

“I beseech Her Holiness Yves to smile down upon me. This humble one approaches you to service the Halo that protects us all for a lifetime.”

Leonidas lowered his head as a strong pressure enveloped the room.

The strand of consciousness that Goddess Yves allocated for an Apostle, even one that was just a Level 1 Missionary, was completely unlike what she had allocated for a Clergyman. Whereas before Leonidas had to present an offering worthy of an advancement before she did so, this time, her presence was overwhelming from the very start.

This familiar feeling reminded Leonidas just how wide the gap was.

Deacon Bruthers was a mountain peak he could still vaguely see. But, just this small strand of consciousness contained a strength he couldn’t begin to fathom.

“Ah, my talented little Mage. What have you called this Goddess for this time?”

Leonidas was partially shaken by these words. He hadn’t been prepared for Goddess Yves to remember him.

He wasn’t used to being caught unprepared. For a moment, he didn’t know what to say.

As an Apostle, it was good to stand out. But, as a Fallen Disciple, it most definitely was not.

Leonidas had somehow gained the favor of this Goddess without understanding how.

“Child?”

Goddess Yves’ voice still sounded far too much like his mother’s for Leonidas’ liking. He knew that she was doing it on purpose, taking a form he thought would endear the most worship. It still disgusted him, but he knew better than to show this.

“You… You remember me?”

Leonidas chose to lean into his shock. Maybe he would be able to gain some more information like this.

A light laughter filled his ears. Leonidas had to admit that Goddess Yves’ voice was as gentle as spring water and as heartwarming as a glass of wine.

“It is rare for this Goddess to gain Herself such a talented Mage. I have very high hopes for you, how could I not remember?”

Leonidas continued to stare at Goddess Yves’ feet, his eyes remaining lowered.

“I am so talented?” Leonidas asked, surprised.

“Very much so. Your Mana Pool is easily ten times the standard even without the usual priming Apostle hopefuls go through in their youth. And I can see here that you’ve killed a Level 2 enemy Apostle, this Goddess is very happy with your progress.

“This Goddess has many powerful Fighters and Healers, but Mages are rare.”

“So… I have enough to become a Level 2 Apostle?”

Goddess Yves’ cheery laughter rang again.

“Of course, My child. You, in fact, have enough to become a Level 3 Apostle.”

Leonidas’ brows shot up. This was something even he hadn’t expected.

What the spirit had neglected to mention was the fact that it wasn’t just the Blessing price that lowered when one had talent in a certain Class, it was also the Promotion price that lowered as well.

“This Goddess only used a portion of your first offering. I placed the rest in reserve for you.

“Do not be unsatisfied with this Goddess’ choice. I wanted to first see if you had the work ethic to back up your talent, and you have proved that in spades. I can see that you’ve pushed both of your Blessings to the Oneness Level, your saber arts are incredibly solid, you are only a step away from comprehending Mana Sense, and your Intelligence seems to have grown exponentially since last we met.

“Those that this Goddess sees potential in can receive Her personal guidance.

“I will elevate you to Level 3 Missionary. In addition, I will give you two free Blessings per Level Promotion. I also cannot leave such a talent without protection, so I will not continue to hinder your path and release your remaining Blessing Units.

“You have a total of 886 Blessing Units including your defeat of this enemy Apostle. It will take 250 Blessing Units to enter Level 2 and 400 Blessing Units to enter Level 3. As for the remainder, you can do with it as you please, my child. My Exchange will always be reduced by half for you.

“This Goddess hopes to see you amidst Her Main Shrine soon. I look forward to the day you can be My Chosen.”

Leonidas felt a gentle kiss on his forehead once more, but he was still stunned. Even long after Goddess Yves’ final words faded, he was still in a daze.

Was he truly so talented?

These were words that had never been attached to him in his life.

The cynical part of him wanted to conclude that this was just the Goddess’ method of manipulating her subjects.

She had essentially stashed away Blessings that were rightfully his to begin with, then given them back to him like he should be thankful to her for it.

But, another more logical part knew that there had to be some truth to it.

It should take around 100 Blessing Units to become a Level 1 Apostle, around 400 to enter Level 2, and around 800 to enter Level 3. But, if Leonidas was correct, it had taken him half of that.

Leonidas’ mind couldn’t hold back anymore, wanting to enter the Knowledge Well. But it was then that an overwhelming surge of power rushed through his body.

Leonidas’ body went rigid, his body feeling as though it was undergoing an enormous transformation.

The sensitivity Leonidas had toward Mana had increased exponentially over the last several months, and especially after his battle with Maw.

He could feel it coursing through his body, rushing through his individual fibers.

What astonished him, though, was that it also easily pierced into his bone, fusing into his marrow and almost making him moan with pleasure.

Leonidas had never thought that the Bone Needling Potion would have such an auxiliary effect. He didn’t know what the Mana would do in there, but it felt so good that he couldn’t fathom the result being anything other than positive.

Something within Leonidas suddenly broke like shattering glass.

What senses Leonidas had increased exponentially. Whereas the flow of Mana had been vague to him before, it was now as clear as if his eyes were personally viewing it. What was astonishing, though, was the fact that he was viewing it within his own body!

Without even trying, Leonidas was certain he could make Mana Blade several times stronger. Just feeling these circuits forming in his body filled him with a confidence beyond anything he had had before.

The stream felt endless.

His Mana Pool doubled, then doubled again.

It was like a swirling cyclone at the center of his chest, reaching out with tendrils that coursed through every inch of his body.

When it all finally stopped, Leonidas released a comfortable sigh, his hair standing on end and goosebumps racing across his skin.

His eyes opened, flashing with a radiant light for a moment before calming.

2