Chapter 6 – The Giant Wolf
11 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mommy was scared of Uncle Sunny at first

Upon the sight of the giant black wolf emerging from the forest, Cassy immediately sprung to her feet in fear. Only standing up did she realize just how massive this wolf was. It towered over her; it must've been almost 2m just at shoulder height alone. If it were to raise its head, then it'd probably reach two and a half meters.

This thing was a monster. And now, This monster slowly padded towards her with its piercing eyes fixated on her.

Cassy's blood ran cold. She stood in her place, shivering. She did not know what to do, her mind was blank with fear. Should she run? But what if her suddenly running away agitates the wolf and it starts chasing her? Should she play dead? What if the wolf just considers her easy prey and eats her? Her mind raced and her heart felt as if it wanted to beat out of her chest. With every moment she stood paralyzed in fear, the wolf padded closer to her.

It didn't take long before the wolf had reached her. She was still paralyzed. Although the sun was shining sideways from them, the sheer size of this beast felt as if it cast a shadow over her. 

The wolf bent its neck to her height. It took a few small steps forward as it started sniffing at her in curiosity. With each step forward, Cassy took a step backward, trying to distance herself from the beast. She backed away step by step, until a rock behind her foot tripped her and caused her to fall down on the grass. She let out a whimper of surprise and pain.

The wolf stopped, as if surprised by her fall. Cassy looked up in fear. The wolf was now directly in front of her, with its neck raised and head tilted down to look at her. Due to the lighting, She could not see the wolf's face well, but it's amber eyes were shining eerily bright. It was as if the grim reaper was standing before her.

Is this how I'm going to die? She gulped, tears starting cascading down her cheeks like waterfalls. She curled herself into a ball, her hands raised to shield her head and face, as she trembled and whimpered in fear. 

Suddenly, the wolf took a step backward. Cassy peeked through her arms. The beast's ears were flattened, and it had an uncertain look on its face. After a moment of hesitation, it turned around and started trodding back to the forest.

Cassy uncurled herself from her protective ball and watched the giant wolf leave. Fear had not left her completely, But it was being replaced by bewilderment and relief. The wolf left the moment she curled herself up in fear. Did it….perhaps not want to eat her? Was seeing her in fear perhaps what made it leave? 

The wolf stopped to look back just once, before sprinting and disappearing to the forest. Cassy sat there, staring in that direction for a while. Her mind was blank, unable to process what had just happened. When she snapped out of her trance, she immediately sprang to her feet and raced to the house. She didn't want to imagine what would happen if that monster regretted leaving and decided to come back.

-

Tasela trotted back to the tribe, reminiscing about what had just happened. 

Just earlier in the day, he'd come to hunt bunnies again near the pond, when he smelled the scent of the foreign human again and decided to investigate, just as he'd promised to do a few days ago.

He located it to be at the pond, and thus he walked there to check. It was a woman. She looked different from the Navajo humans he'd seen as a pup. Her skin was light and pinkish, and her hair was short, curly, and golden, shining brightly under the rays of the early sunset. Her eyes were a beautiful blue, but based on the scent of sadness emanating from her, her reddened eyes and the tears on her face, he guessed she must've been crying about something. 

Curiosity had gripped the young werewolf’s heart, and he padded forward towards her. The woman stood up at the sight of him, but didn't do anything. He started sniffing her after he'd reached her. He wanted to know who this human was, why she was here, and also why she was crying. The woman had a soft, warm, and comforting scent. Despite the scent of fear that was starting to emanate from her, she smelled kind of ...sweet. It made him want to take a few more sniffs, unaware that the human before him was fearing for her life.

Suddenly, the human tripped and fell on the grass, taking Tasela by surprise and halting him in his steps. She looked up at him, and quickly curled herself up in fear, whimpering and trembling, now radiating the piercing scent of fear that covered all other scents. It was clear to Tasela that this human was afraid of him.

Tasela took a step back, unsure what to do. He did not intend to scare her, he just wanted to investigate her sudden appearance. Seeing her in this state though, it was clear that he had to call off his investigation, at least for today. He turned around and started heading back for the forest, turning back to look at her once before continuing his return.

I guess I'll just have to investigate from a distance then. He decided.

1