Chapter 12 – A Suitable Gift
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The morning sun slowly started to crawl up the sky. The morning mist settled in the forest, creating a serene imagery. Birds started singing their morning songs, and life in the forest started to wake up, ready to face another day.

The clearing bustled as the werewolves started waking up and going on their daily routine.

Tasela's eyes opened with a start. He'd been awake, tossing and turning all night long, unable to sleep thinking about the events that just occurred, and yet at some point, he fell asleep. He jumped up, feeling restless and eager to do something. The sudden movement caused Nokomis to let out a soft groan from beside him.

Tasela, not wanting to disturb his elder sister's sleep, quietly stretched and padded out then den. Nokomis couldn't catch any sleep at all last night due to his constant movement, and Tasela felt guilty for it, especially since she'd taken his torment without a word of complaint. He decided to hunt a bunny for her as an apology.

Bunnies could be hunted anywhere, there was a great abundance of them in the forest after all, but he still went to the pond to hunt them. ‘There’s more of them at the pond’, 'the bunnies there are bigger’, ‘they’re easier to catch there’ were all excuses he used to make two moons ago for why he'd come here. After he'd come through with his feelings last night, he had to admit it, he simply came here because Luna's house was near the pond.

Arriving at the pond, he turned to look at the house. It was a lonely existence in the endless grassfield. It stood atop a low hill, like a small castle overseeing the forest and the pond.

It was not obvious in the forest due to the trees covering the light, but staring out at the grass field, Tasela realized just how early in the morning it was right now. The sky was still slightly dark.

From his extensive observation on Luna a while ago, he learned that she was not an early bird. The first signs of movement were always after the sun was fully up, and the sky was brightly illuminated. Seeing as how it was only early dawn now, Luna was obviously still asleep and won't be waking up anytime soon, and Tasela had no intention of waking her up. He decided to focus on his task of bunny hunting and come back later.

 


After a quick hunt, the young werewolf came back with three bunnies in his mouth. A crow perched on a tall tree near the entrance cawed at him. Without needing to look up, Tasela already knew who it was. It was his father, who was doing his daily morning sunbath, greeting him good morning. With a ‘good morning’ in return, he continued his journey back to the clearing. He went to his and Nokomis’ den to drop off the biggest one of his catch, gently placing it right in front of her so that she can eat it after she wakes up.

Tasela was not sure what to do with the two that were left. Nokomis has a small appetite, so it's not like he could give all three to her, and he himself was already full from eating his share at the pond. It was still quite early at the moment, so he couldn't give them to Luna either, because they won't be as fresh anymore after a few hours. Plus, for being so small, he doubted that she would be able to finish two rabbits.

The more he pondered, the more Tasela got lost in his thoughts. If not these two rabbits, what was he going to give to Luna when he went to visit her? Another rabbit? She didn't seem that thrilled the last time he gave her a rabbit, does that mean that humans don't like eating rabbits? What do humans like? What would be a suitable gift to give her when he goes to visit her later? Would Luna even like a gift? Was it too soon to be visiting her? She said she hoped he'd visit soon, but was today too soon?

Tasela lowered his head in defeat. Humans were an allusive species to him. He'd only met some when he was a pup, back when the Navajo humans used to live on the plains outside the forest, but they've been long gone for a century now. It's not like he was particularly close to them either, he only knew a handful of them because they were the mates of some uncles and aunties in the tribe. It didn't help that Luna was a foreign human too, he had no idea whether the foreign humans and the Navajo humans were alike or different, she was the only foreign human he's ever interacted with.

He let out a sigh. I know I said that I'll try my best to make her like me, but where do I even start?

Just as Tasela was lost in his abyss of thoughts, a movement across the clearing caught his attention. From one of the dens in the tribe, a red fox came out, and was slowly padding towards the pile of prey at the other side of the clearing. It was Uncle Chamomile.

Seeing the fox, an idea came to Tasela's mind. Uncle Chamomile was a red fox mated to one of his tribemates. A red fox was different from a human, but maybe it could be useful to ask him for advice on interspecies romance. A bunny would be perfect as a thank you gift too.

Determined, Tasela padded towards him. "Good morning Uncle Chamomile! Are you heading to the food pile?”

"Hm?” Uncle Chamomile turned to see who called him. "Ah! It's you, kid. Good mornin’. Was just gonna go grab something for me and Yarrow. I see ya got a successful hunt this mornin’ eh?”

"Yup! I was just wondering what to do with them too. Would you like one, Uncle Chamomile?”

“That'd be real nice of ya, kid. Was just craving for some rabbit right now.” Tasela lowered his head to place one of the bunnies in front of him. Uncle Chamomile wagged his tail in gratitude.

"Say, kid, you look like you wanna ask me something. Shoot up.” The fox was always sharp at reading others’ expressions.

"I guess I really can't hide anything from you, Uncle.” Tasela joked. He looked away in awkwardness as he continued. "Um, so, I was wondering how you and Uncle Atsa got together..”

"So ya finally decided to make a move on that human?” Uncle Camille interrupted, catching Tasela off guard.

“Wai-Ah, what, pfft, No?? I….” He lowered his head in embarrassment. "Yeah…”

Chamomile snickered at Tasela's reaction.

"Good for you kid, you finally stopped moping around like a depressed ghost.” He teased.

"Wait what? Tasela you finally decided to go after that human?!” A loud voice interrupted their conversation.

Tasela dropped the bunny in his mouth, with it making an audible thud as it landed on the ground, and turned his head, feeling embarrassed and annoyed. He knew too well who it was, it was his beloved nemesis Chenoa. She was the last person he wanted to find out about his new resolve, since he knew she'd make fun of him to no end.

Beside Chenoa were two short furred, golden brown and white wolves, with each a grey and a golden eye. They were the twins, Doba the elder sister and Mato the younger brother. They were members of his friend group. All three of them were carrying a small animal in their mouth, and were now looking at him wide-eyed. Just great. Three of them heard me.

"Chenoa, do you know how much I hate you right now?”

"’Course I do, that's my charm.” Chenoa stuck her tongue out teasingly, “But Tasela, I can't believe I wasn't the first one you told such breaking news to, I'm hurt.” She dramatically put a paw on her head. Tasela flattened his ears in annoyance.

“Still though, how come you suddenly changed your mind?” Doba asked, much more calmly than the white wolf beside her. All four of them looked at him in curiosity.

"I ...went to the pond yesterday and met her there. And I guess I just, decided to accept it, uhhh, yea.” Tasela explained, flustered.

"Is that why you're asking Uncle Chamomile for dating advice?” Mato asked bluntly.

“I'm not asking for dating advice! I'm just…asking how Uncle Chamomile And Uncle Atsa got together because I was curious!” Tasela rambled. It was hard enough to admit his feelings to himself, but he never imagined admitting it to others would be this hard and embarrassing. He turned to look at the fox for help, but all he got was a look of amusement. Chamomile was really enjoying seeing Tasela so flustered.

"Don't think I can help ya much kid. Yarrow fell for me first, started giving me gifts every day, we became friends, was a little hard to accept everythin’ at first but eventually we got together.” Camomile sat down and scratched his ear with his hind leg.

“Maybe try giving her gifts every day like Yarrow did?” He suggested.

It was what Tasela wanted to do, but now that Camomile confirmed that the strategy works, he decided to do it. But now the question was, what should he give?

“What sort of gifts did Uncle Atsa give?” Tasela inquired.

“Mostly rabbits. After he learned that I liked rabbits, he hunted them for me almost every day. Occasionally other things, but you get the gist.” Foxes like rabbits, so Uncle Atsa obviously made a good choice of gifts. The question still remained, what do humans like?

Seeing Tasela's silence, everyone understood what he was thinking. Doba stepped forward.

"How about asking around some more? Surely someone can give you some useful information.” She suggested.

"Why not try asking my mom? Maybe she knows something about humans.” Chenoa suggested as well.

“Our father as well.” Mato added, with Doba nodding.

Tasela looked at Chenoa and the twins. How could he forget? They were children of interspecies couples. Chenoa was the daughter of a barn owl, while Doba and Mato were children of a bald eagle. Children of interspecies couples are born with two forms, their wolf form, and the form of their non-werewolf parent. It was a subject of envy to have another form, especially more so if a werewolf born with two forms gains a third one by falling in love with someone from another species. It just so happened that Mato was one of these lucky ones, his partner was a cougar. It was a pity though that the grandchildren of interspecies couples don't inherit the forms of their grandparents.

"I don't think I should go interrupt your mom right now. She's probably just gone to sleep.” He replied to Chenoa.

“Oh, right. I forgot she's nocturnal. Oops.” Chenoa chuckled awkwardly while everyone looked at her speechlessly.

"You birdies are all so silly. Must run in your blood.” Chamomile jokes, looking at Chenoa, then at the twins, then stopping at Tasela. He stretched his back, then picked up the rabbit Tasela had placed in front of him.

"I'll leave you kids be, Yarrow is probably starving right now.” He started padding back towards his den.

"Birdies?” Tasela was confused. He understood why Chamomile would call Chenoa, Doba, and Mato birdies, but why was he included?

"Birds of a feather stick together.” Mato jokes.

"Literally.” Doba commented.

"Maybe that's why we're besties.” Chenoa grinned at them. They told her to shut up in unison.

"Why did he call me a birdie?” Tasela was still pondering that question. It was now his turn to have everyone turn to him with a speechless expression.

“Why are you looking at me like that? I can't turn into a bird.” Tasela said defensively. Their expression only grew stronger.

“Did you seriously forget your grandmother is a crow?” Chenoa blurted out at last.

Tasela's response was immediately written on his face. Oh crap, I really did forget.

How could he forget such an important and obvious thing? Even though he doesn't see his grandparents often because they don't live with the tribe, he still had the existence of his father to remind him every day. Somehow, Tasela had gotten so used to seeing his father shift from wolf to crow that he forgot where his father even got that ability to begin with, which was unbelievable because he'd just greeted his father a few minutes earlier. It was especially embarrassing because he and Nokomis’ black pelts were inherited from their grandmother. How could he also forget the innumerable times he'd cry to his dad or his grandparents about wanting to be a crow as a pup.

His friends shook their heads. It was agreed that the youngest in their group, Tasela, was big in size but not exactly big in brain. Tasela barked at them, taking offense to their gesture.

"I'll leave you guys now. You better reflect on how much you've offended me.”

"Yeah, sure.”

"We won't miss you.”

"Off you go, birdy boy.”

 

With a huff, Tasela picked up his rabbit and left. Partially because he didn't want to embarrass himself further in front of his friends, but more so because he'd decided to visit his grandparents. His grandmother was a crow; crows lived in close proximity to humans, so she probably could give him more useful information about humans than the other uncles and aunties in the tribe.

His grandparents’ den wasn't too far away from the clearing of the tribe, so he arrived in no time. It was a den, but unlike a normal wolf den, it was decorated to the brim with colorful flowers and other shiny things they'd collected over the years.

The elderly couple were having a peaceful chat when he entered. His grandfather was laying down with his paws tucked underneath his chest, while his grandmother was nested on his flank, rising and falling as he breathed. It was an amusing sight.

Despite his grandfather being a small werewolf, the size difference between them was still quite drastic. The two turned to face him as soon as they heard his footsteps.

"Tasela! So good to see you this morning!” His grandmother cawed.

“I came to bring you breakfast.” Tasela smiled, gently placing the bunny in his mouth in front of the elderly couple.

"Have you eaten yet? Why don't you share some with us?” His grandfather suggested.

"Oh no no, it's ok, I already ate a lot earlier.” Tasela insisted. It was hard to go against the universal grandparent instinct of wanting to feed their grandchildren.

"How's Nokomis doing? Haven't seen her in a while.” Grandma asked.

“She's the same as always. I'll tell her to come visit you when I go back.”

“Yes, yes. I was just starting to miss her cute little face.”

“How are things with you and the human, my boy?” His grandfather chimed in.

"I….” Tasela was hesitant to say the truth, in part because he was embarrassed, in part because of fear for the ocean of questions he was about to get once he told them the news.

He took a deep breath. Get it together. I'm here for their help. How are you going to succeed if you're this easily scared, Tasela?

"I decided to pursue her.” Both of their faces lit up at the news. Before they could ask their never ending questions, he quickly continued. "I wanted to ask for some advice, if that's ok.”

"Ask away, boy.” His grandfather cheered, while his grandmother stayed silent, beak open and eyes gleaming with anticipation for gossip.

“Um, I guess my first question is how you two came together?”

His grandfather turned to the crow, knowing full well how excited his partner was to tell the story.

"Oh, I remember it like it was just yesterday! One day I saw a beautiful golden wolf, and I told myself that I must have this treasure. It took a lot of convincing, but in the end I successfully made him mine.” She cawed. Her partner chuckled, the tip of his tail wagging lightly.

"Grandma, isn't that a little too superficial?”

"Can't help it, child, I like shiny things.” She cawed, turning to look at her partner with adoration, who in turn looked away shyly.

Tasela looked at his grandfather. Despite his age, it was clear that he was quite a beauty in his youth. With golden fur and fiery amber eyes, he really did look like a shiny treasure.

“Such a shame that neither your father nor you kids inherited the beautiful golden fur.” She cawed sadly. Her partner chuckled lightly.

”Grandma….” Tasela felt kind of embarrassed.

“Children these days, so squeamish.” His grandmother chuckled, fluttering her wings up to land on Tasela’s muzzle. Her sudden action caught him by surprise.

“You look impatient. Do you have something else to ask?” She asked, her eyes staring so intently into his that he felt they were piercing his soul.

“I guess, um, what did you do to convince grandpa?” Tasela asked, tense.

“Are you asking for advice on what to do to win that human over?” Her intense stare continued. The question’s directness had him by surprise.

“Uh……Y-yeah….” Tasela looked away. If he didn’t have fur, he’d be sweating profusely.

The crow let out a series of loud, grating caws. It was her way of laughing, just unfortunately they weren’t too pleasant to the ear.

“Oh, you siblings are adorable! I still remember when Nokomis would come to me with the same problems in the past too.” She said after recovering from her bout of laughter. Tasela’s tail wagged in embarrassment.

Suddenly, his grandmother flew towards a wall behind them, picking a purple flower that had been put there for decoration with her beak. She flew back to land on Tasela’s forehead, placed the flower in the fur beside his ear, then flew back down to nest herself on her partner’s flank.

“Can’t say I know much about humans. From what I observed though, I think that they like shiny and colorful things. The females seemed to really like flowers though.”

“Do you think she’ll like it if I give her flowers?”

“Give it a try, boy. You never know.” She cawed

Seeing that their grandson didn’t look convinced, the golden wolf joined in.

“It’s a shame that Elder Makawee is away on her travels at the moment, she’s the best person to help you.” He started. Tasela sighed in agreement.

“I don’t remember too much, but I recall that her mate used to regularly give her flowers because he said it was customary in the Navajo tribe for males to gift females flowers.” He recounted in a soft tone. Tasela listened intently with pricked ears. His eyes glistened.

“Don’t work yourself up too much over it though, child. Keep her company, give her your heartfelt gifts, and she’ll start warming up to you.” He smiled lovingly. The crow nodded in agreement. Tasela smiled in gratitude in return, his tail excitedly wagging from side to side.

Tasela’s heart raced. He was grateful to have come to his grandparents for help. Their advice was more than they had asked for, and now, he had a clear idea on what he needed to do.

0