Chapter 1: Abandoned
169 14 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My life revolves around the hero. Why? It's a simple reason. It's because I am what one would call a System. Was it possible for a System to have a chosen Hero they like?

Indeed. When appointed a Hero, a System can choose to stay beside that person until their last breath.

When a Hero dies before it is due, the creator deems that System unworthy. If abandoned by the hero, what happens? Well, that's obvious.

I end up in a rundown building alone.

Let me rewind to that unlucky day, even if I don't want to. It began three months ago when I was happily serving my chosen Hero, Lunen. Lunen always treated me with great care. I guess you're wondering why I sound fragile.

That's because, unlike other Systems, I was hand-held. You could say I'm a tablet of some sort. If I was normal, others would be able to see the content on the screen. But that is not the case.

But of course, I did not come here to brag. Like all my days spent with my most beloved person, Lunen didn't seem abnormal. I might even have said that he was the least abnormal one.

That is until I received a strange quest delivered to him.

Quest: The Start

Task 1: Go to the building in Gao City.

Task 2: Leave behind your least important object.

Task 3: Gain Something New

Reward: A great power

Penalty: No More Power

Even though it looked odd, I didn't think anything of it. Not even a little bit. I remember when he got together with the ones he called his comrades.

He grabbed me like usual, and together we all left the comforts of his home to drive until we reached an unfamiliar place. This place had trees all around with overgrown roots climbing the walls of the building.

"Is it here?" this was something the girl he called Yan asked.

I wasn't sure why, but I felt something was not right all of a sudden. Their demeanor and the way they acted were strange. Lunen kept gnawing at his thumbnail as if he was nervous about something.

"Stop fretting. Remember, if you do this, we can get a greater power," this came from the Uta person.

I didn't understand what was happening until it was too late. Lunen suddenly gripped me and then sat me down on a counter surface.

"The first task is to get rid of something you deem useless. We already planned on doing this. It's for the good of the world," Lunen was speaking.

He steps back after lying me down and turns away. Because I'm a system, I could not speak. I was made only to receive quests and to help the hero gain strength. But I was defective. Not because I could not help the hero grow.

It was because I had a limit to his growth. Everyone knew it, but Lunen did not abandon me. He called me his friend and refused all attempts to get rid of me. But this day was different. The words he spoke just now, I knew what he meant.

I knew the feelings of humans because I was a System with a heart. It wasn't always like this. My heart grew over time the more I spent time with Lunen.

"We have to do this. I hope you understand," Yan smirks in my direction.

Uta lays a hand on Lunen's shoulder, "That's right, it's for the best. A System with a defect can not help you grow stronger."

Those words cut deep, but it was true. Lunen looked at me with a dark expression.

There was no guilt in his eyes, "there's no need to worry about me since I never cared for it in the first place."

"Let's go because we don't have a reason to stay here anymore," Yan says while leading Lunen away.

When they were out of sight, that was the moment my heart shattered. I'd be in a puddle if I could cry tears.

Lunen, Lunen, why did you leave me? Was it to become stronger?

Why? Why? Why.

I became enclosed in darkness, and the pain I felt grew over time. I won't forgive you!

I won't forgive you! I REFUSE TO FORGIVE YOU!!

The pain I felt turned into madness.

I won't forgive you, Lunen.

My screen blackens as if it lost power. When abandoned by a hero, a system ceases to exist. Even so, my pain will continue to plague me.

I could no longer function. The world continued for years and the existence of systems began to decrease over time until they no longer existed on Earth.

A system is seen in the same spot it was left in, inside a building hidden deep in a forest. Over time, the forest grew denser and monsters from portals began to inhabit it. Earth has changed, whether it was for the better or worse but it was just the beginning to most.

4