Chapter 1: The Defeated Fighter
12 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The light flashed on and the crowd cheered as the caster announced the winner of the competition. High King, the team in an emerald green uniform stood up in victory, passing a hug to each other as they smiled widely celebrating their 5th consecutive year of winning the game title. It is a huge achievement that nobody has ever done before but for some reason, they don't look too happy.

Across from them is Kinsmen, the team in white and orange uniform, sitting defeated in their chair. Each player was having a blank look on their face, gazing upon the word 'Defeat' on their screen, having just lost to High King for the 5th consecutive year. The cheers from the crowd felt like a mockery and their ego was torn beyond repair. They have been the country's second best in the game for what felt like forever. The air on the stage tasted bitter and they wanted to leave as soon as possible without paying a single look back, but it is not time yet. They have to show good sportsmanship.

The tournament staff finally cued for the players from both teams to gather in the middle of the stage. They stood up from their seats and took their position and once everyone's ready, the staff cued them to shake each other's hands. After the handshakes were exchanged, the staff led Kinsmen down the stage and out of the venue while directing High King to the middle of the stage to raise up their trophy for the audience to see. The casters counted for them to raise it and it was accompanied by even louder cheers than before.

Amidst the sound of camera shutters in the background as they leave the stage venue, Kinsmen's ace player, Haku pats the back of his teammates. Not a single word was exchanged between them as they walked to their waiting room. The moment they step into the room, they were greeted by a man in his 30s in a black jacket and a Jeans pants,

"Good game, guys. You've done your best."

"I'm sorry, Kouki. We couldn't win the title again this year…" Their team captain, Yutaka apologized with his head held low. "We are especially sorry to you. Despite all of the investment you've made on us, we still couldn't meet the result that meets your expectation."

Kouki shook his head and patted them on their shoulders to tell them it is all alright. Kouki is the owner of their team and has supported them since they first formed. He's been more like a friend than a boss to them. Despite facing defeat in the grand final for every single year they've been under his care, he had never criticized them for it.

"2nd place is amazing too. It's not easy to stay among the top two teams in the country for years on years so you should still be proud of yourself," Kouki tried to cheer them up.

They understand his intention but that doesn't work on them anymore. They may have been the second best, but they keep losing to the same team for five consecutive years. They can't be satisfied with being the second best anymore, they want to take the title for once and become the new king of the game and they couldn't achieve that again this year. They know Kouki understands that as well so they remained silent without responding to him as they went ahead and packed their devices and bags to leave. In the background, the small television on the wall was playing the live stream of the tournament and it was showing High King having their interview.

"This question is for Player Kaiun."

Haku's attention was brought to the television. There were five High King players sitting on a long table accompanied by their two coaches on both sides. Sitting in the middle was a handsome man with sleek black hair. He is High King's ace player, Kaiun, the most mechanically talented player Japan has ever produced. Since they're both the aces of their respective teams, the community likes to pair them as arch enemies and the story of their rivalry is often discussed and promoted in online forums and gaming talk programs, but from Haku's perspective, Kaiun is far ahead in his own league from the rest of his peers. Nobody, not even Haku could come close to his level. He is a tall wall that he could not conquer. A shadow that he has been chasing for as long as he's been active in the scene. Haku cannot deny his envy of Kaiun's talent and achievements. He took a deep breath to recollect his emotion. His eyes were fixed on the television, ready to listen to what Kaiun might share in the interview.

"Player Kaiun, this is the 5th time you've won the national title. How do you feel about it?"

Kaiun took the microphone on the table and began speaking, "We are happy about the result regardless, but this title does not matter to us. What matters to us more is to perform well in the international championship and bring home the world title for our country."

The truth is, even after winning the national title and qualifying for the international championship every year for the past five years, High King hasn't won a single international game. Even with Kaiun's exceptional talent, he's still not considered competitive on the international level.

While Haku understood Kaiun was meaning to say that performing well on an international level is far more important to High King right now, he still felt like those words struck his heart like a knife. The national title was everything Haku could see while he was playing in the competition earlier but Kaiun was not. He was seeing far beyond that. He was seeing the world. Haku felt that more and more distance had been formed between him and Kaiun. Internally, he's engulfed in a panic state, the world felt dark and he felt his feet were falling into the eternal hole below but he knows he can't outwardly show how he felt, at least not in front of his teammates so he kept his cool.

"Player Kaiun, do you think you and your team can perform well this time?"

Haku paid attention to Kaiun's expression. The gaze in his eyes looked as if he had traveled into the future, witnessing how they would have performed in the international championship. The wrinkles on his forehead gave away that the vision Kaiun was seeing wasn't a pleasant one.

Kaiun put the microphone close to his lips and answered, "We have spent our off-season polishing our strategy and personal skills. I think we are ready to take on the challenge this year as well."

Even though the statement sounded rather positive, Haku could feel a loom of anxiety and desperation coming out of Kaiun's tone. He knows that feeling all too well because that's how he felt every time he had to fight the High King. All of the envy that he felt until a moment ago vanished into the air. He can't stand watching Kaiun feeling the same sadness and frustration like he has again. He may not be able to achieve his dream, but at least he wants to see Kaiun achieve his dream to grab the world title.

"Haku, let's go."

Yutaka's voice shook Haku out of his thoughts and he finally realized they were supposed to get ready to leave. He hasn't packed his stuff yet so he told the rest of the team to leave first and he'll catch up to them in a moment. After they left, Haku packed everything as quickly as possible and left the room too.

He was walking down the hallway with his mind still full of thoughts. As he took a left turn, he bumped into a person. He apologized promptly and when he turned his head up, he realized it was Kaiun. He had a big smile on his face, looking really happy being able to meet Haku here.

"Congrats, Kaiun," Haku said with a smile.

"Thank you," replied Kaiun. "We have to go out for dinner sometime next week."

Haku and Kaiun were actually teammates when they first started their professional career 10 years ago and they have been friends since. It has become a tradition between them to go out for dinner after every competition. This time is no different from the others. Even after having to cut each other's throat in the competition, their friendship isn't affected, or rather, they don't let it affect them. "Of course, I'll let you know when," Haku said while handing Kaiun a candy.

"Okay, see you later."

They both pat each other's backs while exchanging smiles as they step away. The smile slowly left Haku's face as he continued walking to the car park. All sorts of memories of their friendship were replaying in his mind.

'Let's call it a day for today,' he thought to himself as he got into the car.

1