chapter 11
31 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sound of laughter and music filled the tavern. I was waiting on Kara, who said she had to use the Restroom, well hope she doesn't mind me taking pieces of her steak.
I already finished my meat pie and my ale was halfway gone, I started to cut a piece before her recognizable voice cut through the noise.
"Hey! That's mine you idiot!" she didn't sound mad but was simply amused when I turned to face her.
"You took too long" I laughed
She was cute, never in my life have I felt this way before.
"well I'm here now" She sat down across from me
She started to finish parts of her steak while I started to talk about sciences and the usual things I liked while she listened. I like that about her, she listens to me. The only other person I talked to was Hera but she doesn't listen, also moody always well bitchy I guess.
"So, James Adric wants to go on another adventure"
"Really? this suddenly? normally he would let us know all together"
Strangely, Adric usually lets us take a break for a bit, we also come together as a group at agreed times to discuss jobs on the adventure board.
"well if that's what Adric said then I won't complain"
"Good, here take a piece" Kara offered me a piece of her steak still on her fork.
I pause, it's a bit embarrassing to do but I eat it anyway.
"wouldn't this mean we were kis-"
"Be quiet James" she shook her head.

***
The next day arrived, as Kara said Adric was urging us to get ready as soon as possible. He explained that we needed to head out to a forest outside of Drakons Keep. The forest he talked about was where a previous disaster happened. Years ago and I mean years ago existed a dungeon, dungeons are all over the world and existed before humans. It is believed it was made by the dwarven demi god Exudas, he and the ancient dwarves created dungeons all over the world to keep their valuables and precious creations hidden from the other races.
Exudas couldn't have built it alone, he needed help from his mother who was also the Goddess of magic. The prime current of magical progress and source was directly centered in the dungeons. Thus not too long ago there was a disruption in the magical current inside that dungeon which led it to explode in raw magical energy. The explosion killed several adventurers who were in there at that time and rapidly changed the forest that was above.
The trees were taller than before, and the wildlife who survived were stronger and much more hostile. Nowadays people don't travel there often unless you're an experienced adventurer.
Adric asked Me and Kara to grab some supplies from the local market. During the walk there I noticed she seemed rather distant, I wondered if I did something wrong.
"Your staring is too much you know?"
She noticed, and I looked away.
"s-sorry, you look nice"
"Hmm~ I know"
she looked rather smug.
We grabbed supplies such as food, ale, and camping equipment. During our walk back I had to ask.
"is something wrong?"
she looked at me, her eyebrow raised.
"no why are you asking?"
"I don't know, you seem unlike yourself"
"Oh. How would I act?"
"well you're not this quiet, did I do something wrong last night?"
She stopped.
"James." she placed her hand on my shoulder, the bag of supplies on the other arm.
"you did fine last night, it was a great date. I apologize if I seem off today. It's complicated"
"Well, I'm a great listener. you can tell me if you want" I smile.
"Maybe sometime"
With that, we returned to the group without any problem.

The walk there was strangely quiet, Adric would be telling stories or making half-hearted insults at Gurt or me, Kara would've been laughing at our antics and Gurt... well he's quieter than ever. I of course didn't say anything, it would've been awkward as hell to start up a conversation. There were some novels at the library that I read, it was a collection of tales all over Eryndor. The first tale in the novel was strangely about the second hero instead of the first Hero Kaelan.

The tale of Judas the Second Hero.
The long line of blessed peace was cut in half. The conflicts in the underworld were settled and the reign of the second demon king emerged. The Royal Kingdom was in turmoil, they hadn't expected this to happen. The first Hero disappeared a century ago and they needed to find a replacement for him. They expected the goddess to help but their prayers were unanswered and for the next few years the kingdom had sent their soldiers to hopefully stall the demon's army but alas it proved fruitless.
They were desperate, forcefully sending elders, women, and children to aid in their battles. This was a blessing in disguise as this led to the discovery of the second Hero. The second hero was only a child of only ten years of age, they found him in the streets begging like a starving mutt. The thing is after the first hero there were children with hero blood who were lacking in quality and were merely used as bodyguards for the royal family but this one his blood was thick with golden liquid. His bruised face had golden eyes and they knew that he was their hero.
They groomed the young boy into a ruthless man, they trained him harshly, giving him no second of rest and forcing him into a place of discipline. After five years they sent him along with a group of soldiers to fight the king of demons, the scourge of humanity.
During their journey there the hero was tempted by power, he forcefully stopped his party for pleasure that only the lowest parts of humanity can bring. He took and robbed anyone and claimed it was for the greater good, he openly looked for artifacts cursed or not. Truthfully this was the most freedom the young mutt had felt in the first time.
When he confronted the Demon King he already sacrificed the soldiers that accompanied him. The demon king had already destroyed multiple cities in his wake and grew in power.
No one knows what happened for sure, but we all know that the corpses of the second demon king were left in a mess while the Hero Judas was missing.
Thus concluded the Tale of Judas, born into poverty as a mutt and died a mutt.

When I read that I was rather taken aback by how much they shit on Judas. In the academy we only knew of the heroes but not entirely about them. Honestly, I just feel bad for the guy.
I wonder if I was a hero what kind of person would I be? Would I be a beacon of hope or just some person who wants to be the strongest? Honestly, I just want money.
"Hold it"
We stopped suddenly as Adric held up his hand. He looked around causing us to look around. We're still on the main road; probably an hour away from Drakons.
"Sorry, something just bothered me I guess"
We continued on our way unaware of the danger that was coming.

***
He looked different than before. The other younger man almost caught us. We tried to get close to him before but alas the angel interfered. She killed half of my sisters before we took her down.
The bastard Baros was right, the dagger can slay an angel and soon we will slay him.

0