Chapter 3
1.1k 6 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yesterday's night was... Weird for me. I ended up drooling in my sleep despite my uneasiness.

But new day, new me.

Right now, I'm in the middle of the compound looking at a brand-new tree. It was another tree I found that somehow grew out of nowhere. Thankfully this tree didn't grow next to any building but the fact that this tree grew out of nowhere and directly in the middle of the compound makes it weirder. It's as healthy as the first tree, the only difference I could see was the shape, this tree was larger. Large enough to cover two or three stories of building. What makes me more uneasy that this tree looks like a Californian Red Wood tree. This is both good and bad for me.

Bad news is that this tree would take up a good chunk of the compound's space and the dangers of lightning strikes which would cause fires if I don't chop this tree down. Another bad news is that this tree is almost like a beacon that is also the good news but more bad news for me, if I do encounter civilization or some other intelligent life form that hates me or sees me as a threat, then this is where they would find me.

Good news? Not many but some. This tree once again is like a beacon, in case I get lost in the forest than I can just look at this tree here to know where the compound is. And also, wood, although the lightning would most likely strike at this tree because it's the tallest thing around here, the wood itself is quite resilient and can be great for building material but the factor is, how the living hell do I cut it if the buildings are endangered of being destroyed once it falls down? Or the matter in fact, how do I cut it without the need for heavy machinery to help me? That would be another bad news, I can't do anything with it, all I can do is leave where it is, although it is reasonability small, it is still heavy and dangerous for me to cut it down as I don't want it to fall on top of one of the buildings or even on me. 

I sighed and spoke to myself. "I'm such a freaking idiot, of course I can't do anything with this tree. It looks about to be tenish to twentyish years old hell even more." I walked towards the trunk as the leaves shadow the ground I stand on. I began to gently hit the trunk with the bottom of my fist. "It as dense as my old world's version, yeah, ain't no way I can cut this with the equipment I have." The equipment I have is regular cutting equipment for medium-to-small trees, the first tree I can chop but not this one. In the near future I hope I can do something about this tree, for now I'll leave it be.

I sighed as I walked away from the tree and towards the first tree, I spotted the same rock I always sit on and sat down. I began to do the thinker pose as I think of things to do.

It has been a solid three weeks and the Californian Red Wood tree had grown, a lot actually to the point of being identical to an adult Red Wood trees you see around California. Strangely berries begun to grow right next to the trunk of the tree, I have no idea how that's possible. The berries in questioned looked to be purple just like raspberries but shaped like blueberries. How does berries grow underneath a tree where there is limited to no sunlight hitting the ground? I have no idea.

On to the tree, the branches have increased in size and now covers almost half of the compound. It's both a nice shade and pretty alarming because the growth of this tree shouldn't be this fast, especially this type of tree. And... It'll cause problems for my crops if the tree grows more. The shade or the shadow of the tree covers the main body of the compound but thankfully not the places I grow my food.

I decided to stop my thoughts as focused on another thing. I've gone out again, did end up finding the same silver rose on not only once, not twice, but five times in as a whole. I did end up spotting the same golden eyes again, the eyes did scare me a couple times as I push onward but ended up getting used to it as the creature in question isn't doing anything but watching me. though I still held my guard up.

From that trip, I did end up having a large number of berries in my satchel and planted some of the berries next to my greenhouses. During that time, I ended up building a livestock area for future cattle/livestock. Did I find any? No. Both good and bad, bad because I won't be eating any meat, good because there won't be many predators around. However, I did think about eating the birds on occasions, but those birds are quite nimble and quite hard to kill. I ended up bruising my arm because the number of arrows I was shooting and loading.

During the nights had gotten worse, my drooling I mean. It's gotten to the point that literal buckets of drool were across my mouth as I slept. Not going to lie I did have the best sleeps of my life which could possibly mean the drooling as I was sleeping well. However, my lips were quite swollen for some reason, it sometimes hurts to move my lips as I ate my meals.

Anyways...

During my run in the forest, I found some ore nodes around some rocky areas, iron to copper to salt. I picked some of them to look into their purity. And lord and behold they were the purist ores I've seen. No loose rock in them, no corrasion or erosion at all, and of course the fact that it was perfect for refining. In my workshop, I had a smeltery as I used to work as a smelter back in my early days of working, did I love it? No. Was it good money? Yes, very much so. Because of war it was a good chance I held to get good money. Hell, it even paid nicer than the army for some odd reason as the number of wars going on was crazy. Thankfully, I've never gotten drafted or been affected by/into war at those dark times. But I did end up being drafted into the National Guard after my third year of being a smelter. Which meant military training and of course beating up the few fools that tried to attack the military by the use of pistols and basic cars. Let's end that thought there...

The steel I got was good enough to allow me to build a structure that'll be used for storage. The crops were started to produce more and more than ever, it's as if the compound's land is magical or rich with good minerals that led to the rapid growth of plants. Thankfully the common blade grass hasn't gotten a foot tall yet. I should be thankful for that at least.

The thing I'm so uneasy about is that these resources I've gained and the fact that food would never be an issue ever again as the rapid growth of my produce would help that. But... That would also once again make me a target for not only rodents but also some people who discovered this place.

Yes, I know kept bring up people or civilization or the fact that people might encounter me is a fact I'm growing more and more tense both in good and bad terms. And I do not care what you think my imaginary partner, you are just a thought in my head!

Anyways, what's done is done. I'm actually hoping some kind of rodent manages to find its way inside so I can eat its flesh once I kill it. Now that is a good thought.

During my escapes and encounters with the two women who I feared the most, I've never actually gotten a good thought process as I worried about getting discovered or what they'll do to me once they found out where I was or pin me down to have their ways with me. Goods thoughts were ever rare for me, that's why I always get surprised when good thoughts went through my mind. Fact remains is that I'm always pessimistic, that's the short answer.

Sigh...

"What's next, encounter a girl with rabbit ears? Psh." I said to myself. And oh boy I wish I never said those words.


I heard a scream outside of the walls late in the morning, I rushed out panicking whilst grabbing my combat weapons (Rifle, Pistol, and a combat knife). I ran up onto the walls and peaked on the other side. I saw a person with a hood and cape over him or her. He or she was screaming at a creature that looks like a lion mixed in with a raptor. It's head was a lion whilst it's body was that of a raptor. 'Weird combation'

I quickly stopped my thinking and held my firearm with both of my hands. I zero in on its head and...

*BANG*

In an instant, the creature falls down. I turn the lights on revealing the ground and person. "Oi, are you alright? Si-" However before I could say anything else the person turns with her hood coming off.

Rabbit ears?

Woman?

Oh shite, it's a woman with bunny ears...

"U-um missy, are you alright...?" I asked the woman.

"...My hero..." She said before falling headfirst on the ground.

"What the hell...?" I said and I holster my rifle on my side. "Fuck my life, alright I'll her out..." I said to myself as I open the gates.

23