Chapter One: Awakening in Disgrace
25 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Don't touch me."

 

The boy didn't look at her, just meticulously wiped his hand that she had touched with a tissue, and then casually tossed it into the trash, his voice cold.

 

Harper leaned against a tree, constantly replaying that scene in her mind.

 

Her dark hair was damp, clinging to her pale neck. She was bundled up in a black trench coat, lazily yawning, and then reported a number to an elderly man beside her.

 

The elderly man adjusted his glasses on the bridge of his nose, relieved that she finally remembered a number, and took out his phone to dial it. The call was quickly answered, "Hello, is this Alex Min?"

 

"It's me."

 

The elderly man was polite, "It's like this, Miss Harper accidentally fell into the water by the lakeside at Midtown Estates. Could you come and pick her up?"

 

There was a pause on the other end as he remembered who she was, his tone controlled yet annoyed: "Don't call me again."

 

The call was disconnected.

 

The elderly man was stunned, "He..."

 

Harper was still sitting on the rock: "He? My fiancé, I guess."

 

Falling into the water should look pitiful, but she sat with her arms crossed against the tree, the depths of her dark eyes slightly confused, like a white tiger that had hastily taken a nap and lazily got up, not knowing where it was.

 

"Where are your other family members?" he asked.

 

She thought for a moment: "They're hosting a birthday party for my father's mistress's daughter."

 

The elderly man looked at the girl, who seemed quite sweet, unsure how to comfort her.

 

"It's okay," Harper tilted her head, a light smile on her face: "Thank you for saving me, I'll just sit here a bit longer."

 

He had other things to be busy with; rescuing Harper from drowning was just by chance. He originally thought she had a strong will to die, but after her heartbeat stopped for two minutes and she then woke up, it seemed she had no further intentions of suicide.

 

"Don't sit too long, you might catch a cold." He left his number for Harper, took another glance at her black trench coat, and then hurried off to catch his flight.

 

Harper folded up the note, watching him leave.

 

She stood in place for a while before adjusting her uniquely styled clothes and sat back down on the rock, her elbow resting on her knee, her palm loosely supporting her chin.

 

This body was also named Harper.

 

She looked at her reflection in the water, her appearance was the same.

 

Her mother, two years ago upon discovering not only that her husband had a mistress but also fathered two illegitimate children, divorced him without wanting custody of Harper and left gracefully.

 

The original owner of the body was academically poor and was caught cheating in the midterm exam.

 

While being reprimanded in the office, she saw Alex Min coming to submit homework and subconsciously grabbed her fiancé's hand, which he coldly and disdainfully pulled away from, saying that phrase "Don't touch me."

 

Remembering this, Harper supported her chin, her fingers lightly resting on her cheek, "Tch—"

 

What was the original owner doing with her pretty face?

 

She tightened the grip on her coat that smelled faintly of wintergreen.

 

Not strong, a bit of a chill.

 

Harper looked at the distant solar-powered streetlights lighting up, her eyes filled with bright stars, as she sat on the rock, quietly observing this astonishing world.

 

After an unknown amount of time, a glaring car light approached.

 

She raised her hand to shield her eyes from the light.

 

"Miss," the driver got out of the driver's seat, opening the door of the SUV.

 

The SUV's door opened, revealing a gentle girl sitting on the outer side, dressed in an exquisite gown.

 

Standing up, Harper then realized not only was Bianca Bair there, but also a noble young man sitting beside Bianca, looking down at his phone.

 

Oh, Alex Min.

 

"Sister," Bianca glanced indifferently at Harper, offering her a seat in front and moving to the last row of three seats for herself, "You take the front."

 

The young man initially looking at his phone frowned.

 

Seeing Bianca move to the back, he also silently put away his phone and squeezed into the back seat.

 

The driver looked awkwardly at Harper, recalling how each time this scene unfolded, the miss would act as if she had gone mad: "Miss, Mr. Min... he..."

 

Harper flicked her bangs, sorting through her memories. She didn't take the back seat but gestured for the driver to open the passenger door.

 

The car headed towards the Bair's residence.

 

"Alex, brother," in the quiet of the back seat, Bianca suddenly spoke up, "Did you log into my account?"

 

"Yeah, did you use Fourier transformation for that problem? That method won't work; I've tried it."

 

"Underestimating me, what if I solved it?" she reached for Alex Min's phone.

 

Alex quickly protected his phone, he would clean the areas Harper touched, yet he did not reject Bianca, "Then I'll help you with duty."

 

Bianca, "Ah, duty again?"

 

"Are you complaining?"

 

"..."

 

Both were in the international program at Central High, this year's key talents, often taking various competition courses together, Bianca in no way inferior to any boy in the sciences.

 

The two talked as if no one else was there, impossible for others to interject.

 

The driver glanced at Harper, quietly sitting in the passenger seat, somewhat embarrassed. He explained to Harper, "Miss Bair and Mr. Min are discussing the software for the Prep Camp at River City, Central High has ten spots this year, they..."

 

Halting midway, the driver remembered Harper cheated for that spot and immediately stopped.

1