Chapter 6: Yang Gege, why do you look like an angry wife whose husband ran away?
45 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was already night time when Lan Sheng Zhe got to Lanhai he reported everything to Lan Xi Zin and Lan Zhi Zhou excluding some unnecessary details of his encounter with Cheng Yu. 

This unexpected series occurrence made the atmosphere somewhat gloomy as the harmony of the sects were now disrupted with distrust and possible hidden motive.

Lan Xi Zin, “ Couple of months ago Xichen came to me to learn about arrays. I had lent him a couple of blueprints of strong formations including the Mist mountain’s formation” Although the implication was clear,  he explained more, “The array was constructed by myself and some of the strongest array experts, from different sects. It’s not possible for a mortal and an unknown cultivator to damage formation in such discreetly that the alert of the damage was only received after destruction of the entire outer layer.”

Lan Zhi Zhou, “Could it be any one of the experts eyeing on the Vault stone?”

Lan Xi Zin, “If any of us wanted to pass through the formation, it can be done without harming the array. It’s an outsider who did not participate in sealing the mountain. Someone who’s strong and has some knowledge of the formation but not enough.” 

Of course Lan Zhi Zhou knew this, he just didn’t want to suspect Yan Xichen, “I don’t think it’s him. Xichen only cares about living a life and cherishes those he loves regardless of blood bond. He has no use of the Vault stone, he just wants to learn arrays to teach his disciples”

Lan Xi Zin, “Zhi Zhou, emotions are good things but we mustn't let it drive away from the truth”

Lan Zhi Zhou face was not convincing at all but still said, “This disciple understands his mistakes”

Lan Xi Zin, “I’m not saying Xichen was behind the issue, it’s a mere possibility. Also the Vault stone cannot be used to harm others, the theft of the stone is not necessarily an indication of conspiracy either. We can slowly investigate this issue”

Lan Sheng Zhe, “Do we tell this matter to Jin Sect?”

Lan Xi Zin, “I don’t think that’s a good idea, although it's their heirloom, who’s to say it wasn’t them who wanted their heirloom back?”

Lan Xi Zin dismissed the two for now. Since Mist mountain’s resentful energy was already taken care of by the vault stone all these years and the remaining energy wasn’t strong enough to leave the mountain and create chaos, it was not a pressing issue.

Lan Sheng Zhe was on his way to find Lan Ru Hui when Lan Zhi Zhou called him from behind.

Lan Sheng Zhe, “Xiongzhang needed me for something?”

Lan Zhi Zhou, “Your sister in law was asking about you, if you don’t have anything else to do why not have dinner with us? Ah-Hui is also waiting for you in my place”

Lan Sheng Zhe, “Okay”

The night was serene and the path to Lan Zhi Zhou’s house was surrounded by cherry blossom trees. The moonlight shone through the gaps of the trees creating a beautiful scene of the two handsome brothers walking side by side.

Lan Sheng Zhe, “Xiongzhang, what do you think of the Cleansing sect?”

Lan Zhi Zhou, “Do you suspect Xichen is involved as well?”

Lan Sheng Zhe, “I can’t be sure. It’s strange as to why the Yunhuan village chief contacted the Lan sect when the Cleansing sect is across the river. Even if the village chief had some basic knowledge on cultivation it is impossible for someone like him to be sure that the Cleansing sect didn’t have anyone fit to mend the formation.”

Lan Zhi Zhou, “Xichen told me when the beasts started creating chaos, he had sent all the capable disciples to Yunhuan village to protect the citizens. When things got out of hand they agreed on cutting off travel by the water routes temporarily since the beasts were only hurting people upon going in the water. He was planning to ask for an array expert to go back with him to take a look inside the mountain, but he didn’t expect for you to head off already”

Lan Sheng Zhe, “Things already didn’t make sense when the village chief claimed that array formation was completely broken, how would he know? If the Cleansing Sect leader was the one behind the scene then why would he ask you for an array expert to go have a look?”

Lan Zhi Zhou, “Unless someone deliberately planned this to create a rift of trust between the two sects”

Lan Sheng Zhe, “The village chief knows more than he is letting us on”

Yan Xuan’s appearance also made no sense. How did he know the masked cultivator? Was it another set up or the Yan clan had something to do with it? Is the Cleansing sect really not involved? Why did they want the Vault Stone? 

Both of them pondered about these questions which they could not fathom an answer. After a few moments of silence Lan Zhi Zhou asked,  “The guy you asked Ah-Hi to find, is it the same guy who helped you find the masked cultivator?”

Lan Sheng Zhe, “Also the same guy who helped Yan Xuan take away the masked cultivator’s body”

It didn’t take long for them to arrive at Lan Zhi Zhou’s residence. Lan Ru Hui exclaimed “Shifu1Shifu - Master (Literal meaning: teacher father)! Shishu2Shishu - Martial Uncle (literal meaning: teacher father’s younger brother)!” as she ran to welcome them. 

The house still had the decoration from the wedding ceremony, creating a lively image. Adorning the front of the house was a nice outdoor seating area surrounded by flower beds. 

Inside the house was spacious and luxurious. Although Lan Zhi Zhou was not an extravagant person, his house was decorated very exquisitely. This was all thanks to Lan Ru Hui, ever since she learned her shimu3Shimu - Master’s wife (Literal meaning: teacher mother) is the only daughter of the rich Jin Clan Sect leader’s brother, Jin Jianyu, she has been very attentive about trying to make this boring place a comfortable transition for her shimu. 

Although the marriage between Lan Zhi Zhou and Jin Jingyi was arranged by the elders and did not personally know her that well, from the few times he met her he could tell Jin Jingyi was also a down to earth person like him and preferred simple elegance over expensive luxury. But because Ru Hui was very excited about getting a shimu and thinking about how she grew up without a mother, Lan Zhi Zhou did not restrict her actions. 

At the dinner table it was only Lan Ru Hui speaking as the Lan brothers casually listened and ate quietly. Jin Jingyi let out a soft chuckle looking at such a peculiar contrast between their personalities. The Lan brothers both looked at Jin Jingyi with a confused look and Lan Ru Hui also stopped talking. All three of them had the same posture and same expression on their face. This made Jin Jingyi burst out laughing, “It’s nothing, I just thought it’d take me time to adjust to the new environment but I think I’ll adjust pretty quickly”

Lan Zhi Zhou looked at her with an warm expression and held her hand as he said  “I’m happy to hear that”

Lan Ru Hui, not understanding the conversation between her shifu and shimu, thought it was all thanks to her hard work, feeling happy she blurted out, “See I told you the changes would make shimu happy!”

Watching them eat and laugh, Lan Sheng Zhe also felt happy for his brother’s completed family. He only wished that person was here too, then the family would be truly completed. Feeling slightly bitter, in the end he could not laugh with them.

Lan Ru Hui and Lan Sheng Zhe left the house together after dinner. 

Before Lan Sheng Zhe could ask anything,  Lan Ru Hui spoke feeling a bit embarrassed, “Shishu…”

Lan Sheng Zhe, “Speak”

 Lan Ru Hui with his head lowered, “I found him but got caught and he sent me back saying he’ll come to find you after he was done drinking”

Lan Sheng Zhe, “Drinking?”

Lan Ru Hui, “Drinking! He was at a tavern drinking alone for hours occasionally looking at the inn in front of the tavern through the window. It seems he was watching the Xie family’s eldest son and his wife having a meal with their kids. Even after Xie Pingyi left with his kids to buy candy, he was still watching her. Lady Xie is an unparalleled beauty, shishu do you think he has a crush on her?”

Lan Sheng Zhe felt displeased at Lan Ru Hui’s remark, how shameful! Liking a respectful married woman was just too despicable! On second thought however it felt strange, maybe he was here for a mission? What did it have to do with lady Xie?

Lan Sheng Zhe came back from his thoughts when he heard an unpleasant cry of a strange yellow bird which looked more like a flying hedgehog. The bird came and pecked Lan Ru Hui.

Lan Ru Hui, “He actually came? He is on the way here”

Lan Sheng Zhe, “Go back and rest. No need to concern with this anymore”

Lan Ru Hui, missing out on the fun, was not pleased at all and tried to follow Lan Sheng Zhe but Lan Sheng Zhe waved his hand and the small hedgehog grew with a puff like a puffer fish. It picked up Lan Ru Hui by the collar with its beak and flew towards her room. 

Lan Sheng Zhe waited for a long time in the watch tower as he watched Cheng Yu leisurely drink and tipsily walk towards the Lan Sect gate. When he arrived at the gate he looked up at Lan Sheng Zhe and smiled really brightly as the moon light shone on his face making him look like a dazzling beauty.

Lan Sheng Zhe was dazed for a second watching Cheng Yu’s smile and his ocean eyes which seemed to have emotions he could not comprehend, making him forget the displeased feeling he had for a moment. But the irritation came back the moment Cheng Yu opened his mouth.

Cheng Yu, “Yang Gege, why do you look like an angry wife whose husband ran away? 

Lan Sheng Zhe flew down with a cold expression as if one more time crossing the line and he would end Cheng Yu’s little life. As he got near, a strong scent of wine assaulted Lan Sheng Zhe’s nose, almost making him intoxicated. Lan Sheng Zhe took a few steps back from the strong smell as he asked,  “Where did you go? If you could undo the immortal rope, why did you come with me in the first place? After escaping, why did you come back?”

Cheng Yu, a bit muddled-headed could not comprehend all the questions thrown at him at once, with a confused and hazy state he spoke nonsense, “Wife don’t want hubby to come back?”

Even though Cheng Yu spoke nonsense while being sober as well but drunk Cheng Yu was something beyond what Lan Sheng Zhe can handle.

Lan Sheng Zhe doing his best to suppress his anger said, “You are drunk, we’ll speak tomorrow, follow me”

When Lan Sheng Zhe turned around expecting Cheng Yu to follow, he heard a thud sound. Looking back he saw Cheng Yu hugging the wine jar laying on the floor, eyes closed mumbling something to himself. 

Lan Sheng Zhe wasn’t an impatient person but Cheng Yu tested Lan Sheng Zhe’s patience on a different scale. Frowning, Lan Sheng Zhe nudged the man lying on the floor with his feet. “I don’t have time for this”

Cheng Yu encircled around Lan Sheng Zhe’s feet as he kept mumbling incoherent words. Lan Sheng Zhe did not like getting too close to someone let alone being touched by others. This guy is really courting death. Nonetheless, with no other option he picked up this insolent guy and carried him on his back. 

Cheng Yu, who still had some consciousness, wrapped tightly around Lan Sheng Zhe’s neck and waist.

Lan Sheng Zhe felt terribly irritated by this audacious behavior and with one leap he reached the Yin Yang Spring. 

Yin Yang Spring is the place where Lan Sheng Zhe lives. The reason why it’s named Yin Yang Spring is because of the abundant concentration of Yin and Yang energy which specifically stems from the twin hot and cold springs behind Lan Sheng Zhe’s house. 

Unlike Lan Zhi Zhou’s house, Lan Sheng Zhe’s house was simple and elegantly designed. Lan Ru Hui took care of Lan Sheng Zhe’s house as well but because Lan Sheng Zhe would get rid of anything unnecessary she bought, she had no choice but to keep it low key. 

Lan Sheng Zhe had no disciples, he would help his brother teach the outer disciples from time to time. But because of his cold and approachable demeanor, disciples never came to find him unless absolutely necessary except for Lan Ru Hui, who had no sense of fear. As a result the only person he felt comfortable ordering around at this hour was her but it was him who shooed her away when she wanted to follow, so he absolutely couldn’t call her to take care of the koala behind him. 

Lan Sheng Zhe walked to Lan Ru Hui’s residence which was close to his own, there was a cellar in the basement, where Lan Ru Hui would do her experiments on forging weapons. This place had a strong barrier, one could come in easily but could not break through without severe physical harm. Lan Sheng Zhe felt this was the perfect place for Cheng Yu. 

5