Chapter 20
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

NosyBird: using the books…that's when you know the theory is bad

Akshfhdjajai: Wrong.

Two comments after a week and a half. Forty views across the board

Great. Just great. Just the thing to help Isabella write new scripts. It was like the more effort they put in correlated with the low number of views.

“Ignore them,” Owen said. “Let's just upload it.”

The second and third videos took a lot less longer. Since the videos required actual skill, Owen was slowly learning how to edit and photoshop. The issue was it was a lot of grunt work. Lots of clicking and dragging and artistic understanding which Owen didn't have. He often asked for Isabella's help, who had a keener eye in terms of art.

Yesterday, the second video was released. Tonight, the third was coming up. In regards to views, the first two were spectacular failures, having garnered twenty-five and five views respectively. The very first view even received two comments.

Two negative comments, mind you. 

“Let's reply,” Isabella said. “Not using the books…the books aren't canon but they are canon-adjacent, idiot. Say that. Type it.”

“Isabella…”

“He's stupid. Literally, using the books is the norm now. If you don't use them, half of the confirmed theories in the series won't stick!” Isabella clicked her tongue, glaring down at the monitor. She wore blue leggings and an oversized indigo jumper which used to belong to Owen. He was able to feel the heat radiating off of her. 

“I mean…what if it's a girl?” Isabella turned her glare to him. He raised his hands in surrender. “NosyBird is gender neutral, ma'am.”

Her face scrunched up. “...ma'am?”

“What? Is it bad?"

“No, I mean, I don't hate it but it makes me feel old.”

“Yes, ma'am.”

“Alright, now you're purposefully trying to annoy me.” 

“No, ma'am.” He sent her a cheeky grin and she rolled her eyes. 

“Now I really want to write that rant,” Isabella muttered.

“You can write all the rants you want after we upload this,” Owen said. “If we start arguing in the comment section, it'll look bad.”

“We will also be seen as engaging,” she countered.

“Or annoying.”

“Both can be true.”

“Or neither, which might make people more interested in our next video.”

Isabella didn't instantly retort, pausing to think. “I still want to rant.”

“If your urges are so strong, how about you do it on a separate account?” Owen suggested. “That way, we can have a discussion without looking bad. Might even help in the algorithm—”

Isabella didn't need to be told twice. She stomped out the room, storming up points to debate her opponent. Owen watched her leave and let out a chuckle.

“Same ol’ Isabella.”

An internet gremlin if he had ever seen one.

Regardless, it was time to upload the third video. Owen wasn't the type to prat. That night, he prayed to the WuTube algorithm to help him.

***

He woke up. He brushed his teeth. He smiled.

Not yet. He didn't want to check just yet.

He went to the kitchen and cooked up a meal. The house was asleep so he sat there alone with his phone. Drawing in a deep breath, he checked the video. 

Ten hours had passed.

No views.

He buried his head in his face, sighing, before eating his sandwich. “Maybe it takes a couple weeks,” he told himself. “Come on, don't be discouraged.”

Buying advertisements was out of the question, he was barely making ends meet as it was. Promoting in general would be a struggle since he didn't have a popular account to promote on.

‘Should I use Plan C.’

Plan C—AKA being a cunt and spamming his WuTube channel link everywhere. Simple, effective, and also shameless. Committing to Plan Cunt felt like tearing apart the last of his pride though.

In the end, after much introspection, he decided not to go with it. He was desperate but he didn't want to be a beggar. He had a reputation to keep. 

That didn't stop the rest of the day from being sad. Isabella stayed cooped up in her room, either ignoring him or too engrossed in forum rants. Something triggered in her yesterday. 

“Um, Owen?” Ophelia came up to him in the evening, brows furrowed. “What's with Isabella?”

“It's…” Sitting on the couch, playing Underwatch on console rather than PC, he killed a player and addressed Ophelia. “It's the WuTube video.”

“It didn't work out?” she asked, frowning.

Owen shook his head.

“Aw. I'm so sorry.” Ophelia ran a hand through his hair. “I know you two worked so hard.”

“We did.”

And they were met with failure.

“It's okay,” Ophelia whispered. She continued caressing his hair, running two fingers up and down his scalp. “I loved them.”

“Can't say the same for the world.”

“Screw the world,” Ophelia said. “You guys are awesome and make the best videos ever! …even if I don't understand them.”

Owen put the controller to the side, closing his eyes. “I should talk to her.”

“Isabella? Mmm, I dunno. You know she likes her privacy.”

His phone buzzed. It was a WuTube notification. Someone had commented on their latest video.

Tryharsguy: shit theory lol

“What?” Ophelia asked. “What happened?”

“Just a comment on the video.”

“Is it positive? Negative?” she pressed.

“Negative.” Owen sighed. “You should go to bed, Ophelia.”

“Aye-aye, sir!” Ophelia got up dramatically and saluted him. Like a solider, she promptly marched to her room. He smiled to himself as he heard the closing click of the door.

A minute later, a room door would come to be open, with someone tip-toeing their way into the living room. It was Isabella. He didn't say a word as she went to the kitchen, opened the fridge, and returned with a container of juice. Not a glass, the full container. She drank the juice straight from the carton.

Owen went on social media to pass the time. Isabella did the same.

The couple sat in comfortable silence. Between them, words were not necessary. An ambience of frustration and sadness hung over them. Sometimes, it was better to just bask in it.

0